Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Kop Must Back New Owners by Laying of 'Caretaker' Roy

Read 2162 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Dec 19, 2010 08:11:26 pm

Before games at Anfield a huge flag is passed across the Kop bearing the faces of every managerial legend since Shankly.

Right now, the chances of the flag's owner asking his mum to help him sew on a drawing of Roy Hodgson's kipper are close to nil.

It's not because Hodgson is a bad person (he actually hates the same right-wing figures most Liverpudlians do), is a lazy coach (he's out at every training session putting players through their paces) or has done one big thing wrong in the six months he's been in charge (Christian Poulsen excepted).

It's that he's never looked like a Liverpool manager (the face-rubbing hamster impression really has got to stop before it ends up on the BBC's Walk On The Wild Side, with a Jason Manford voiceover saying, "Wodda we gunna do now Sammy, wodda we gunna do now?")

And he's never sounded like one: "Newcastle are notoriously difficult to beat at home," he said after last weekend's abject surrender to a team who have already been beaten at St James' Park this season by Blackpool, Stoke and Blackburn.

That's because, strictly speaking, he isn't a Liverpool manager. He's a Liverpool caretaker manager. He is Ronnie Moran, with a similarly uninspiring record.

He was appointed by two City figures not because of who he was but who he wasn't: Rafa Benitez. Martin Broughton and Christian Purslow didn't want a Spaniard in the works as they tried to sell the club so replaced him with someone who would toe the party line.

Hodgson knew all this when he was offered the job. Yet still took it, despite being given a short-term contract, no decent transfer budget and being barred from overhauling the coaching staff.

He clearly thought he had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Show you can take Liverpool to where they want to be and he'll keep the job long-term. Instead he's taken them back to where he used to be with Fulham. Which is why, unless there is a miraculous upturn in performances, he won't even keep that job medium-term.

It's easy to see why many fans want him sacked immediately. But what would that achieve apart from more instability? Did they sack Moran during his 10-game caretaker phase back in 1991? Or did they let him keep things ticking over until they found their new man?

That's what these new owners are doing and painful as it is to watch, fans should back them. The 44-month Hicks and Gillett reign holed this club below the water and it has yet to stop sinking.

A proper, thought-out strategy is needed to get them back to the top. It would be easy for new owners to court popularity by sacking an unloved manager (look at Blackburn) which is probably what Tom Hicks would have done.

But if I'm reading them correctly, John Henry and Tom Werner are taking advice and taking their time to find the best available coach to help deliver their long-term vision for the club.

That is the right decision. Until they find him, or until Hodgson hits a disastrous, confidence-crippling run of results and there is no alternative but to draft in another caretaker like Kenny Dalglish or Phil Thompson, Liverpudlians have to stay patient and do what they've always done - back the manager.

It's not about giving Hodgson a chance to prove himself, it's about giving the owners a chance.

After rescuing Liverpool from the death-grip of Hicks and Gillett, a chance is the least they deserve.

Daily Mirror Link
      « Last Edit: Dec 19, 2010 09:40:06 pm by RedPuppy, Reason: Link Added »
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Re: Kop Must Back New Owners by Laying of 'Caretaker' Roy
      Reply #1: Dec 19, 2010 08:15:28 pm
      Bang on straight to the point.

That's because, strictly speaking, he isn't a Liverpool manager. He's a Liverpool caretaker manager. He is Ronnie Moran, with a similarly uninspiring record.

He has no aims or goals for Liverpool, if we get European football we will be lucky.

The club is still in the wrong hands, Managerial that is.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #2: Dec 19, 2010 08:16:47 pm
      Read that yesterday from Brian Reade.

Some good points, although I would point out that at least Ronnie Moran took a Liverpool team to one of the less stronger teams in the league and battered them 7-1.

I couldn't honestly ever see a Roy team doing that.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #3: Dec 19, 2010 08:26:33 pm
      Read that yesterday from Brian Reade.

Some good points, although I would point out that at least Ronnie Moran took a Liverpool team to one of the less stronger teams in the league and battered them 7-1.

I couldn't honestly ever see a Roy team doing that.

Definitely, simply because we'd get to 3-0 and shut up shop. Groundhog day anyone?
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #4: Dec 19, 2010 08:49:49 pm
      Hit the nail!

BTW, isn't Brian Reade a close associate/friend/contact of Carra or am I mixing him up with someone else.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #5: Dec 19, 2010 09:24:30 pm
      Brian Reade is a very well known liverpool journalist. He writes a saturday column
      in the daily mirror he used to write the liverpool match reports in the echo.Basiclly he
      knows his stuff. 
      Healso wrote a well known book about his life long devotion to LFC called
      43 Years with the same bird.
      You should check it out...
      Hit the nail!

BTW, isn't Brian Reade a close associate/friend/contact of Carra or am I mixing him up with someone else.
      [/quote]
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #6: Dec 19, 2010 09:38:10 pm
      My thoughts exactly.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #7: Dec 19, 2010 09:42:47 pm
      What a load of F***ing bollocks.

He might be a caretaker, but he is not an NESV appointment, so backing him doesn't back them.

When they appoint a decent manager who understands and embraces Liverpool, we will back him.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #8: Dec 19, 2010 09:52:47 pm
      ^^^^^^^ all of what you said KiK
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #9: Dec 21, 2010 07:06:17 pm
      Disagree, Ronnie Moran stepped in when the club needed him.

The club never needed Hodgson..............H&G did!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #10: Dec 21, 2010 07:34:12 pm
      I am more than a little confused by the article which is a very positive and honest observation of the clubs demise, that is until the final statement about giving Roy a break for the good of the owners and the club???
      How does that work? He's been left to his own devices and we're up sh*t creek without a spoon.
      It's no big deal giving him the bullet and getting a stand in so what's the problem? As someone said there isn't a link with RH and NESV so I fail to see any reason for his remaining at the club.
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2010 11:36:36 pm by stuey »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #11: Dec 21, 2010 07:44:32 pm
      I am more than a little confused by the article which is a very positive and honest observation of the clubs demise, that is until the final statement about giving Roy a break for the good of the club???
      How does that work? He's been left to his own devices and we're up sh*t creek without a spoon.
      It's no big deal giving him the bullet and getting a stand in so what's the problem? As someone said there isn't a link with RH and NESV so I fail to see any reason for his remaining at the club.

I don't know I read it as more of a plea to fan's to give NESV a break in the case that it might take awhile to find they're guy at the manager position. While there are pros/cons on KD holding down the fort, and there are circumstances when a temp manager has turned it around, I don't think NESV want's a coaching carousel where the club ends up going thru 4 managers in the matter of 13 months.

It's not about giving Hodgson a chance to prove himself, it's about giving the owners a chance.

After rescuing Liverpool from the death-grip of Hicks and Gillett, a chance is the least they deserve.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #12: Dec 21, 2010 08:36:09 pm
      YNWA ...... unless your name is roy :)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #13: Dec 21, 2010 08:42:11 pm
      A Liverpool caretaker manager who is planning to briing in his own players and stamp his authority, first ive heard of a caretaker manager being allowed to do that, so if that is the case then i want to know what players he has on his mind, we all know the type of player we as fans would like to see but we also know that our visions will be completely different from Roy's, look at the complete F**k he has made thus far, Aquillani loaned out and Poulsen brought in = failure, Konchesky in = failure, Cole brought in to, we thought play in the hole and create things = failure, shoved out to the left to assist LB and not push forward, and the one good thing Meireles, slow and methodical to start, some glimpses of ability, then shoved out to the right, and funny enough, come into his own when Gerrard is missing, Poulsen dropped and Lucas brought back to form a partnership, albeit short term, please please for F**k sake NESV, dont let this caretaker, janitor, domestic engineer, cleaner, call him what you like, dont just dont release any funds for him, i would much rather you gave it to Alder Hey for the kids, at least we could argue the money was well spent.

Who the F**k cares about more instability, it wont happen if Kenny and Thommo were to take over, instability will only exist if this buffoon is left to do what he is doing now, pretending to be a big team manager, Brian reade is a good read, he does make sense in alot of things he says/writes, but i dont agree with him in keeping Roy employed.

HODGESON OUT....NOW!!!
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #14: Dec 21, 2010 08:55:40 pm
      Remind me a thread with same title, quoted article and reactions on the offal, rawk, and some dozen other Liverpool forums and blogs. .oO

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #15: Dec 21, 2010 09:07:33 pm
      I don't know I read it as more of a plea to fan's to give NESV a break in the case that it might take awhile to find they're guy at the manager position. While there are pros/cons on KD holding down the fort, and there are circumstances when a temp manager has turned it around, I don't think NESV want's a coaching carousel where the club ends up going thru 4 managers in the matter of 13 months.

There has to be a point where any benevolence towards NESV impounds upon LFC in the situation we now face, that time is now.
      If the manager is left to his own devices as advised in the article there is a possibility that his prolonged tenure would result in a disproportionate salvage period, salvage being the operative word.
      How can leaving RH to apply his faulted ideology benefit anyone be it the club or indeed the owners who will have to pick up the pieces and right the wrongs?
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #16: Dec 21, 2010 09:48:09 pm
      Briane Reade has hit teh nail right on the head, especially with Woy not being in the seat for long.

Any chance of NESV looking at Rafa now he's back in town on xmas leave and a free agent??  :-X
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #17: Dec 22, 2010 01:27:07 am
      Well speaking for one who has passed that flag along his fcking face will never fit with those, bestowed that honour   
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #18: Dec 22, 2010 09:22:34 am
      I get the feeling Mr Reade will change his tune on Mr Hodgson the moment he's out the door! I reckon he's doing 'the right thing' by Hodgson saying lay off him.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #19: Dec 22, 2010 11:41:01 am
      I think he is talking some sh*t but i do agree what he says about giving the owners a chance. This is the chance to exert their own ownership on the team with player-recruitment etc and make their own decision on the manager.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #20: Dec 22, 2010 12:57:08 pm
      For a caretaker, he's not taking great care, is he?

Quick Reply