Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

Pundits and Commentators

Read 446284 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,116 posts | 2742 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #3795: Jan 06, 2024 05:19:48 pm
      The sex of the person giving any level of punditry should be irrelevant - all that matters is if they provide that analysis in a professional manner and itā€™s worthwhile

As said Iā€™ll take Alex Scott all day over someone like Agbonlahor who is a awful

Agreed on both count, Jill Scott is also ok in small doses.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,037 posts | 537 
      Reply #3796: Jan 06, 2024 05:42:41 pm
      Barton failed as a manager, so now the shitstain is making a pitch for twitter's Andrew Tate incel followers.

Only a matter of time before he starts whining about being "cancelled", before he gets a slot on GBnews.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #3797: Jan 06, 2024 05:50:26 pm
      She's trained for it though, that might be possibly why, she has a degree in professional sports writing and broadcasting from Staffordshire Uni

She may be mate but being trained in something doesnā€™t mean you can do it, it just proves you know how it should be done.

As somebody without a qualification to his name, maybe I am cynical towards these sort of things but I donā€™t have much time for people throwing about degrees. Iā€™m similar to interviews. Being able to talk a good game doesnā€™t mean youā€™re able to do the job. Proving you can or canā€™t is the defining factor and, in my opinion, Alex Scott has proven time and time again that sheā€™s not that good a presenter - regardless of her training or qualifications.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #3798: Jan 06, 2024 06:05:46 pm
      The sex of the person giving any level of punditry should be irrelevant - all that matters is if they provide that analysis in a professional manner and itā€™s worthwhile

As said Iā€™ll take Alex Scott all day over someone like Agbonlahor who is a awful

The operative word though is ā€œshouldnā€™tā€.

Unfortunately it does because in todayā€™s world boxes have to be ticked, especially by multi million corporations who are in fear of gaining a bad reputation and therefore losing money.

And itā€™s not just pundits, itā€™s every thing in society where we have to identify somebody based on what they are as opposed to who they are. That bird who became the first female ref was singled out as being a woman rather than just being allowed to be another ref. And itā€™s these desperate efforts to look PC that actually make my blood boil more. I can see sheā€™s a woman but that doesnā€™t make a blind bit of difference to me when it comes to judging her officiating so why do I need to be aware that sheā€™s female? It was the same with the black ref. Weā€™re told of his skin colour before what heā€™s there to do which is referee a game of football. Just let him ref without having to reference his skin colour like you do the white refs.

Thatā€™s accepting, thatā€™s treating people equally.

I apologise here because Iā€™ve gone on some rant that probably has nothing to do with what you posted in the first place but this whole thing grates on me. Just let people be people rather than having label everyone.

In the words of Brian ā€œweā€™re all individualsā€
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,354 posts | 1634 
      Reply #3799: Jan 06, 2024 06:26:22 pm
      A majority view doesn't mean it's right*.  The vast majority of football fans will be male, and a lot of them of a certain age are just not used to women in and around the game..........but nothing stays the same. Society moves on and prejudices are broken, and football like everything else has to reflect that. Consider the fact that a great many women and girl's enjoy listening to a female pundit...you don't, but it's not exclusively for you. I'll be honest, and I've said it before, I still prefer a male pundit, that's because it's what I've gotten used to over 50 odd years.
      Generally I couldn't care less who does it...I don't take much, if any notice.
      * The S*n newspaper is still one of the most read, and influential papers in the UK, both online and in print.

Thatā€™s fine personally I watch a lot of womenā€™s sport some tremendously talented women out there , but the crux of this is your not allowed an opinion , if their sh*t their sh*t I donā€™t care if itā€™s wearing a blouse or a shirt and that lady was dire that night
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,382 posts | 783 
      Reply #3800: Jan 06, 2024 06:31:19 pm

Unfortunately it does because in todayā€™s world boxes have to be ticked, especially by multi million corporations who are in fear of gaining a bad reputation and therefore losing money.

And itā€™s not just pundits, itā€™s every thing in society where we have to identify somebody based on what they are as opposed to who they are. That bird who became the first female ref was singled out as being a woman rather than just being allowed to be another ref. And itā€™s these desperate efforts to look PC that actually make my blood boil more. I can see sheā€™s a woman but that doesnā€™t make a blind bit of difference to me when it comes to judging her officiating so why do I need to be aware that sheā€™s female? It was the same with the black ref. Weā€™re told of his skin colour before what heā€™s there to do which is referee a game of football. Just let him ref without having to reference his skin colour like you do the white refs.

I apologise here because Iā€™ve gone on some rant that probably has nothing to do with what you posted in the first place but this whole thing grates on me. Just let people be people rather than having label everyone.

No need to apologise....it's your informed opinion. I would though point out the reason a broadcaster prefixes a referee as female or black, is down to how unique it is, and therefore noteworthy. If and when it becomes commonplace there will no need to highlight it.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,140 posts | 3466 
      Reply #3801: Jan 06, 2024 06:37:04 pm

Trust me you are not alone in your view

Positive Discrimination imo is just as dangerous as negative

IMO someone should only get a role if they are the best available regardless of age , sex or race
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #3802: Jan 06, 2024 06:57:35 pm
      No need to apologise....it's your informed opinion. I would though point out the reason a broadcaster prefixes a referee as female or black, is down to how unique it is, and therefore noteworthy. If and when it becomes commonplace there will no need to highlight it.

That's my point though, we're pointing out things about them rather than here's a human being, lets treat them as Sam Allison or Rebecca Welsh rather than here's a black fella or here's a bird who by the way is refereeing today.

In my opinion there's no need to highlight it because neither race or gender affect their way of officiating a football match. But they will certainly affect the way people view the match and analyse the official.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,382 posts | 783 
      Reply #3803: Jan 06, 2024 07:01:11 pm
      Thatā€™s fine personally I watch a lot of womenā€™s sport some tremendously talented women out there , but the crux of this is your not allowed an opinion , if their sh*t their sh*t I donā€™t care if itā€™s wearing a blouse or a shirt and that lady was dire that night
      But you are allowed your opinion, as was Joey B.....The problem came when he referenced, and then compared the pundit to the murderers, Fred and Rosemary West....Which is by any stretch, offensive.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,037 posts | 537 
      Reply #3804: Jan 06, 2024 07:04:41 pm
      I can see sheā€™s a woman but that doesnā€™t make a blind bit of difference to me when it comes to judging her officiating so why do I need to be aware that sheā€™s female? 

Cos women have traditionally been excluded from this role. So women starting to get these jobs is an instance of a change in football culture and worth pointing out.

Also, you might not bothered about the sex, race etc of an official, but there are still plenty of knuckle-draggers who are. Pointing out that women are starting to ref games winds these people up, so that's surely a bonus reason for doing it.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,382 posts | 783 
      Reply #3805: Jan 06, 2024 07:06:44 pm
      That's my point though, we're pointing out things about them rather than here's a human being, lets treat them as Sam Allison or Rebecca Welsh rather than here's a black fella or here's a bird who by the way is refereeing today.

In my opinion there's no need to highlight it because neither race or gender affect their way of officiating a football match. But they will certainly affect the way people view the match and analyse the official.
      Really whether they mention it or not isn't a big issue. I'm guessing no one cares that much, and I'd be surprised if it affected how people watch the game.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #3806: Jan 06, 2024 07:42:19 pm
      But you are allowed your opinion, as was Joey B.....The problem came when he referenced, and then compared the pundit to the murderers, Fred and Rosemary West....Which is by any stretch, offensive.

Not seen his response to the statement that was put out by ITV and then for the hattrick responding to a Union Berlin response by blaming them for the second world war? He's a Grade A gobs***e. 
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 841 posts | 302 
      Reply #3807: Jan 06, 2024 09:38:17 pm

We are talking about the first female ref because it's a significant milestone, something new that has happened. When it becomes common to have female refs we will stop talking about it because it is normalized. 

I'm sure you, like me, are old enough to remember when black footballers was a fairly new or rare event. We talked about their skin colour and put extra pressure on them to succeed. Some people, probably very many people were the Joey Bartons of those days, being hostile and abusive. I remember football fans yelling abuse at their own players for being black.
      Now we would never describe a footballer as a black footballer. A black or female ref is unusual so it gets commented on. Hopefully, some day very soon it will just be normal and it will pass unnoticed that the ref is a woman, or black, or non-binary or whatever.

I think that most commentators can start of as being a bit crap at their job and improve over time. It does not matter if you are Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer, jill Scott, Alex Scott or Gabby Agbonlahor. All of us are a bit crap when we start a new job and improve with practice. There are a lot of new, young commentators and pundits and many of them are women, they just need time to develop their skills.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,354 posts | 1634 
      Reply #3808: Jan 07, 2024 12:52:14 am

Horrendous comparison and rightly slaughtered for it
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 841 posts | 302 
      Reply #3809: Jan 07, 2024 12:49:37 pm
      Trust me you are not alone in your view

Positive Discrimination imo is just as dangerous as negative

IMO someone should only get a role if they are the best available regardless of age , sex or race

I disagree with you. I think some positive discrimination is a  necessary part of life. I don't think we should overdo it but I think the BBC and other media organisations should be applauded for employing a diverse group of pundits and giving them time to develop.

There is a saying "you have got to see it to want to be it" so many young women, black people, British Asian people, LGBTQ+ people, etc don't try to be refs, pundits, football managers, because they (probably correctly) see it as a closed shop for white men.

I'm not just talking about football; there are many parts of Britain that are closed shops, including many professional jobs. Obviously this has improved but only slightly. Social mobility is very poor in the UK.

Some positive discrimination is a good thing in my opinion; obviously we still need to generally be a meritocracy but that can only be achieved when everyone believes they have a fair chance of becoming a ref, football pundit, MP, doctor, etc.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #3810: Jan 07, 2024 02:39:20 pm
      We are talking about the first female ref because it's a significant milestone, something new that has happened. When it becomes common to have female refs we will stop talking about it because it is normalized. 

I don't wanna clog this thread up anymore on this debate mate, especially since the Masters starts today which will give me ample opportunity to say what a sh*t commentator Ken Doherty is and what a smug, arrogant, pompous little f**ker Shaun Murphy is but I will leave it at this;

I don't think it's neccessary for us to be talking about a "female" ref and then patronise her because she's a woman (I'm not saying you have but the media certainly have, which goes back to my comment about people viewing and analysing the game differently). I know why people make a big thing about it because like you say it's a significant milestone but for me, she's just another ref and should be treated as such. She eats, shits and sleeps like every other ref.

But that is my last take on it. I'm off to enjoy some snooker before we kick off in a couple of hours.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,363 posts | 1538 
      Reply #3811: Jan 07, 2024 03:16:47 pm
      I donā€™t have a problem with female refs or linos as long as they do a decent job. I do however dislike female commentators, who raise their voice to an unbearable high pitched screech, to try make what theyā€™re saying , exciting  😱

It does the complete opposite 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,116 posts | 2742 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3812: Jan 07, 2024 03:38:11 pm
      I donā€™t have a problem with female refs or linos as long as they do a decent job. I do however dislike female commentators, who raise their voice to an unbearable high pitched screech, to try make what theyā€™re saying , exciting  😱

:lmao: Very good point. 😆
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #3813: Jan 07, 2024 03:49:11 pm

Like Gary Neville's high pitched squeal!! ;)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3814: Jan 07, 2024 04:10:55 pm

A bit OTT as I hope most will agree, however heā€™s not totally wrong, heā€™s just went the wrong way in saying how the majority I believe will feel, oh and before the PC lot and the feminists stick their oar in, I include male pundits in the same category as those females who in essence havenā€™t got a f***in scooby what their talking about, half the time and are there simply because of a diversity box has to be ticked and not because of their vast experience of playing at the highest echelons of our sport, ā€¦

ā€¦.thereā€™s one thing I think we can all agree here whether you are M or F is that Barton is a complete f***in dickhead, and the sooner the Cnut is gagged the better, ā€¦.

This whole thing about diversity is fine, but putting those in positions who donā€™t have the necessary experience/expertise dilutes the professionalism of those who have, thatā€™s not being derogatory itā€™s just the truth, and unfortunately because of the lily livered politically correct bullshit weā€™re all forced to live under we have to accept those who may or may not be singing from the same song sheet,

Most pundits only tell you what you have already seen yourself, itā€™s not f***in rocket science is it ? And Iā€™m sorry, but Women in male football environment isnā€™t acceptable to the majority, and men in a womenā€™s football environment wonā€™t fully understand the workings of their game although naturally will have a fair idea,

I mute the tv if there are women pundits, and at times when you have the likes of Agbonlahor or Jenus, most just tell you whatā€™s obvious and offer no insight, Jill Scott & Emma Hayes are the exception, both are very good and offer far more than some of their male counterparts.

YNWA
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3815: Jan 07, 2024 05:39:28 pm
      Hate tut BBC . Comms are dugmeat.
      tytusgroan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts | 54 
      Reply #3816: Jan 07, 2024 07:18:15 pm
      Mobray comes across like a smug b***ard
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,363 posts | 1538 
      Reply #3817: Jan 07, 2024 09:35:36 pm

A bit OTT as I hope most will agree, however heā€™s not totally wrong, heā€™s just went the wrong way in saying how the majority I believe will feel, oh and before the PC lot and the feminists stick their oar in, I include male pundits in the same category as those females who in essence havenā€™t got a f***in scooby what their talking about, half the time and are there simply because of a diversity box has to be ticked and not because of their vast experience of playing at the highest echelons of our sport, ā€¦

ā€¦.thereā€™s one thing I think we can all agree here whether you are M or F is that Barton is a complete f***in dickhead, and the sooner the Cnut is gagged the better, ā€¦.

This whole thing about diversity is fine, but putting those in positions who donā€™t have the necessary experience/expertise dilutes the professionalism of those who have, thatā€™s not being derogatory itā€™s just the truth, and unfortunately because of the lily livered politically correct bullshit weā€™re all forced to live under we have to accept those who may or may not be singing from the same song sheet,

Most pundits only tell you what you have already seen yourself, itā€™s not f***in rocket science is it ? And Iā€™m sorry, but Women in male football environment isnā€™t acceptable to the majority, and men in a womenā€™s football environment wonā€™t fully understand the workings of their game although naturally will have a fair idea,

I mute the tv if there are women pundits, and at times when you have the likes of Agbonlahor or Jenus, most just tell you whatā€™s obvious and offer no insight, Jill Scott & Emma Hayes are the exception, both are very good and offer far more than some of their male counterparts.

YNWA

You can add Carlton Palmer to the list of muppets.

Quick Reply