Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Kenny - the words of wisdom

Read 27144 times
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Re: Kenny - the words of wisdom
      Reply #46: Jan 11, 2011 01:36:27 am
      This is Exactly what WE need to hear.  He is a manager in the true sense of the word.
      yommie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #47: Jan 11, 2011 10:15:34 am
      Reporter: "Manchester United away, Blackpool away, Everton at home - there could have been three easier games to kick off with, surely?"

Kenny: "Has anyone got that cruise number handy?"

Legend!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #48: Jan 11, 2011 03:46:38 pm
      There has been some pearlers and I'm loving hearing his interviews and one off comments.

It makes such a pleasant change to hear a confident Liverpool Manager being interviewed.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #49: Jan 11, 2011 08:23:53 pm
      Loving this man so much.

I truly look forward to the match, press conferences and post match interviews now  ;D

Can't wait for more of the same.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #50: Jan 11, 2011 09:01:45 pm
      My favourite was on the ITV highlights last night.  It went something like this
      Reporter: "Kenny, is this the biggest challenge you've ever faced?"
      Kenny: " No, It was a par four, dog leg right, over water - nightmare!"

So glad he's back

To right! Nightmare of a hole!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #51: Jan 11, 2011 09:16:53 pm
      When you hear replies like that it is like listening to Bill Shankly all over again,at last we have got a manager who can beat the press at their own game.It's good to have you back Kenny.
      Happy New Year Cas.Indeed Kenny is cast in the Shankly mould,so we will get the same commitment.But most refreshingly,he will truly respect the fans,something that's been lacking for the last 3 years.
      After United game:

“As great as the effort and commitment was great today, the football club isn’t in the habit of losing games.

“Even down to 10 men at Manchester United, and having lost the game to a diabolical penalty kick, we can’t accept that and we won’t accept that.”

They say it all.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #52: Jan 17, 2011 09:40:07 pm
      Talking about Dagger's half time substitution. . . He had a wee bit of a stomach problem. I knew he had a stomach problem because I was in the toilet after him :)    Question - Settle for a point after that? . . . Why, why? We were playing well enough to get three
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #53: Jan 17, 2011 09:48:09 pm
      With his wit and mannerisms are we sure he's not a distant relative of Bill Shankly ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #54: Jan 17, 2011 09:52:43 pm
      With Carra and Stevieout was it crucial to have Jay a local lad in - Stevie might not get in. Jay might keep him out. I dont care where they're born. You canna get a game of football because of your birthplace. You get a game of football because of how you play
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #55: Jan 17, 2011 10:52:29 pm
      "Fergie is a moaning pr**k"
      Didn't actually say that, but you could tell he was thinking it ;D
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #56: Jan 20, 2011 12:51:10 pm
      "Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt. We don't need to motivate players because each of them is responsible for the performance of the team as a whole. The status of Liverpool's players keeps them motivated." ~ Shanks

The affect the mind has on performance should never be underestimated. You may be the best footballer in the world, and by a country mile - but if you don't even want the ball because your confidence is so low, the team may as well play with 10 men. You are useless, more than that; you are a passenger and a liability.

I've always said football is as much a frame of mind as it is a game of style.

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." ~
      Shanks

Shankly once said "For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side." And they did. With Shanks it didn't matter if you were Ron Yeats or wee Jimminy Cricket, that wall would fall before you.

The dressing room is where a game is won or lost for me. There's a lot to be said for 'losing the dressing room'. Once that has happened, you're a dead man walking.

Consider Hodgson saying we should be wary of teams like bottom of the table Wolves to this:

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Had Napoleon had that idea he would have conquered the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." ~ Shanks

If that doesn't send a shiver down your spine, nothing will. Bet you'd eat your way through that wall - or die trying. That's what a strong leader can do to you and for you. Opponents would have no choice - you were beaten all hands down. It wasn't a case of if you like it or not.

"I'm a people's man - only the people matter." ~ Shanks

For me, Kenny has the potential to be as big an influence as Shanks, if not bigger. It doesn't matter his age, Shanks was no spring chicken, but his ghost still walks the Anfield halls and his spirit is still there. When you consider Kenny as had success as a manager and a player, his influence is immense.

"Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid." Shanks

If we do not keep Kenny on after this season, and barring us losing every game from now on in, I can see him staying - it will be a bad decision of cosmic proportions.

"I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I'd break my wife's legs if I played against her, but I'd never cheat her." Shanks

It will take some time, but Kenny has what Shanks, Paisley, and Fagan had. Honesty, love for the club, a desire to win, the ability to see the club is bigger than any other player, and a down to earth attitude that stood for no nonsense.

"No one was asked to do more than anyone else...we were a team. We shared the ball, we shared the game, we shared the worries." ~ Shanks

"You'll never walk alone" We the supporters

“Even down to 10 men at Manchester United, and having lost the game to a diabolical penalty kick, we can’t accept that and we won’t accept that.” ~ Kenny
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #57: Jan 22, 2011 03:03:18 pm
      (Asked by Sky about transfers)

"We do our business behind closed doors.  I know what's going on. I don't have to tell you."
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #58: Jan 22, 2011 03:04:05 pm
      Reporter: That was the Fernando Torres of two years ago

Kenny: No Everton last week, he wasn't bad then either.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #59: Jan 22, 2011 03:06:23 pm

"We do our business behind closed doors.  I know what's going on. I don't have to tell you."
      Nice I like it.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #60: Jan 22, 2011 03:07:08 pm

Saw that, did you gareth?  I was so proud of him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #61: Jan 22, 2011 03:08:46 pm

Spot on that. And to who as well, that snidey little sh*te Burton!!

Getting back to the good old days.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #62: Jan 22, 2011 03:09:36 pm
      Saw that, did you gareth?  I was so proud of him.
      Me to Vicky, if he wasn't a bloke I'd kiss him!
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #63: Jan 22, 2011 03:11:05 pm

"We do our business behind closed doors.  I know what's going on. I don't have to tell you."
      That's class, none of this Harry Redknapp talking about every player stuff!!
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #64: Jan 22, 2011 03:14:50 pm
      Kenny about transfers "we know more about our fans than you do and when there is something to tell them then we'll tell them"
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #65: Jan 22, 2011 03:16:39 pm
      His little quip about Torres when asked about if he was back to the Torres of old.

"His was'nae bad last week against Everton"

The King is like a breathe of fresh air!!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #66: Jan 22, 2011 03:19:18 pm
      His little quip about Torres when asked about if he was back to the Torres of old.

"His was'nae bad last week against Everton"

The King is like a breathe of fresh air!!
      Too right HR, that he is.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #67: Jan 22, 2011 03:19:20 pm
       :D Was an excellent interview from Kenny, all common sense and dignity mixed in with a bit of humour. A real class act all round.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #68: Jan 22, 2011 03:24:58 pm
       :)

Made us all laugh here with his response about transfers!

How refreshing to hear his interviews, i love love love him & want to give him a big, fat hug!

Quick Reply