Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Would you be satisfied if we finish 5/6th...?

Read 13539 times
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Re: Would you be satisfied if we finish 5/6th...?
      Reply #46: Jan 10, 2011 07:37:27 pm
      Why?

Because we have not got the squad. More than happy to eat humble pie if I'm wrong, no problem.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #47: Jan 10, 2011 07:40:39 pm
      I'll be happy with what ever Kenny can rescue from this season, bearing in mind Kenny has Inherited a squad low on morale and confidence from Roy Hodgson so what ever Kenny gets from now on, I'll be more than happy with.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #48: Jan 10, 2011 07:44:21 pm
      The problem is that our away form was bad for 6 months under Rafa and bad for 6 months under Roy.

As much as I think Kenny can improve things, we are so far back, and I doubt even the King can turn us around as quickly.

We would have to be near perfect now in these last 18 games to get 4th.  3 or 4 games back maybe, but the change has probably come too late.  Again, if the reds are interested in making transfers then this week would be much better than a fortnight's time.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #49: Jan 10, 2011 08:32:28 pm
      I'm just glad the clown has gone as for finishing 4th or 5th to much to ask letts just getting on the right road will do me.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #50: Jan 10, 2011 08:43:45 pm
      Yes!

Thats not saying we cant finish higher but when you see what Kenny has to turnaround from the damage already done, finishing top 5 would be a great achievement.

Hopefully this is the case, he gets given longer term contract then we can kick on again next season.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #51: Jan 10, 2011 09:34:42 pm
      Why?

We're ten points behind fifth, and a mere one extra point behind fourth. If, as modern football fans are lead to believe, that Champions League football is the be all and end all then why is not realistic that we can still get fourth? Is one point really that much of a difference?

We're 19 points behind United, which realistically isn't gonna be caught. But, so what if realistically it isn't gonna happen. Realistically we weren't gonna come back in 77 against St Ettienne. Realistically we weren't gonna come back against Arsenal in 2001. Realistically we weren't gonna come back against AC Milan in 2005. Realistically United weren't gonna claw back the League from Newcastle in 96 or 97 (whenever Newcastle had it wrapped then fu**ed it up). And realistically, 20 years ago when Kenny Dalglish resigned as manager of this great club very few thought he'd return let alone two decades later.

Realistically, things can be done and for what it's worth, realistically we can win the League because this club is famous for overcoming the odds. So I still wouldn't be satisfied with anything other than first. And while it's possible to win the League, I believe we will - not can but will.
      Hit the nail once again DLS, why the F**k should we settle for 5th 6th f***in whatever, whats to say we dont go the rest of the season unbeaten, we have Blackpool next away, before Saturday all the negs on here probably had us beat before a f***in ball is kicked, what a sh*t attitude that is, we are LIVERPOOL not West Ham, Wigan, Fulham etc etc, add, we have the King back, add our players will want to play for him, add the more offensive football we will be playing, add the confidence he will instill, first game in charge we stopped the f***in Mankers playing football, the supposed champions elect, so what will we do against Gung ho Blackpool, i hate the neg attitude its why we ended up with f***in Hodgson, negative f***in purslime got him in, but now the messiah is here, he will F**k all the negs out as quick as you can say Ferguscum's a kunt, its onwards and upwards from now on, and why not go for 4th, its there for the taking, just beleive!!

Next season the 19th   

IKWT YNWA
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #52: Jan 10, 2011 09:47:09 pm
      Only as a minimum but since Saturday my optimism for better things has returned,
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #53: Jan 10, 2011 09:49:21 pm
      Never satisfied with finishes like 5/6th but even after the woeful start under Hodgson we could be 8 points off Spurs and still to play them again.

Kenny should be getting the players to go out and win every game and see where that takes us. If we have that winning attitude until the end of the season you never know where we will finish as the league is unpredictable and no one team is playing outstanding football.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #54: Jan 10, 2011 09:59:23 pm
      EPL......My arse.

Over the seas and far away...
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #55: Jan 10, 2011 10:07:12 pm
      I am never satisfied with anything other than pole position when it comes to Liverpool, so the answer to the question would be a resounding no. But it would seem realistic thanks in no small part to the damage Roy has done.
      That said, this league is tighter than my Uncles wallet at present, and if it stays that way and Kenny get us on a run, then trust me Liverpool are not done in the EPL this season. Not by a long way!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #56: Jan 11, 2011 08:38:12 am
      would you be satisfied?

No. I'm a Liverpool fan.
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #57: Jan 11, 2011 09:20:02 am
      Of course, if Kenny had more time I'd expect far more. But he has to sort out a teamwho have only been average under the owl. I would bet on us finishing first if the league started now and ended in May. In fact this could be a very interesting aside! Let's start a thread on the presumption that the league starts against Blackpool tomorrow. I'd put a few bob on us being top in May.  ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #58: Jan 11, 2011 09:41:09 am
      So I still wouldn't be satisfied with anything other than first. And while it's possible to win the League, I believe we will - not can but will.

I always admire your moxie DLS.

This may be down to semantics, as ever, but "realistically" we can't as much win the league as depend on others losing the league.

I share your belief in Liverpool winning, that goes without saying but i'm not so convinced that those above us will lose the requisite number of games and really that's what this thread is all about.

All your tub-thumping is admirable and indeed it would appear to put you a cut above others. However, just as you had hope (not "faith", as you put it) that Hodgson would turn things round; "realistically" you just hope rather than have "faith" that we will win the league. "Realistically" you can only hope that the eleven teams above us all falter.

"Realistically", after looking at the remaining fixtures, I can't see how (even if we win all our games) the scum will drop 20 points in the last 18 games. I certainly hope they do; I just don't share your belief that they will. ...and there's the rub - you run the risk of not being "satisfied" even if we will all our F***ing games.

I will be satisfied if we do our best. I will be as happy as a pig in sh*t (not just satisfied) if 'our best' means we win the league. However, I am "realistic" enough to know that, from where we're starting, winning all our remaining matches still may not be enough.

Like I stated earlier; semantics.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011 09:46:57 am by bad boy bubby »
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #59: Jan 11, 2011 10:19:08 am
      This season was a write off,so to get 5th/6th would be great.But since Saturday's news of the return of the King we could hit the top 4. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #60: Jan 11, 2011 11:16:15 am

Exactimundo
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #61: Jan 11, 2011 11:27:18 am
      Personnally I hope Kenny (and players out of those really underperforming) won't be lynched on forums because some fans expect incredible things and would consider a 7 or 8th place a failure.

He's starting closer from relegation than top4. If he can end closer from top4 than relegation it would be already a success. If we are european a big ; in CL an incredibly huge miracle only possible with the help of underperforming rivals.

This thread is about this season, not any season.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #62: Jan 11, 2011 12:17:35 pm
      Would I f**k. Being satisfied coming 5th or 6th is accepting we're no longer the greatest side in club football. I'm satisfied with first and first alone, anything else for this club is failure.

Of course we would all me 'satisfied' with 1st but F**k me we have got to be real.

We are in the wrong half of the table, just got rid of the worst manager in our history and replaced him with The King as well as ridding the H & G virus that has infected our club and you're not going to be happy this season unless we are 1st.

All well and good with the attitude of nothing but 1st is good enough but that isn't going to happen this year.

When we don't finish 1st who are you going to direct your displeasure at? Kenny?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #63: Jan 11, 2011 12:52:35 pm
      Personnally I hope Kenny (and players out of those really underperforming) won't be lynched on forums because some fans expect incredible things and would consider a 7 or 8th place a failure.

He's starting closer from relegation than top4. If he can end closer from top4 than relegation it would be already a success. If we are european a big ; in CL an incredibly huge miracle only possible with the help of underperforming rivals.

This thread is about this season, not any season.
      You're right and if the question had been, 'Would you be pleased with Kenny if he managed to get us into 5th, 6th?' then my answer would be yes.
      Still, would I be happy with 5th / 6th? No, regardless of who's to blame.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #64: Jan 11, 2011 01:10:37 pm
      We'll get to the Champions' League places.

We won't finish first, however, but as DLS rightly says - we should be aiming for first every single season.

It just looks highly unlikely now.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #65: Jan 11, 2011 02:06:03 pm
      Looking at our remaining matches to see whats possible/likely

Home  9 matches

Everton
      Fulham
      Stoke
      Wigan
      Man Utd
      Man City
      Birmingham
      Newcastle
      Tottenham

Away  9 matches

Blackpool
      Wolves
      Chelsea
      Westham
      Sunderland
      Westbrom
      Arsenal
      Fulham
      Aston V

Currently the average points per match v position on table

1. man utd    2.20
      2.man city     1.90
      3. arsenal      1.90
      4. tottenham  1.71
      5. chelsea      1.66
      6. sunderland  1.50
      7. bolton        1.36
      8. newcastle   1.33
      9. blackburn    1.27
      10. stoke        1.28
      11.everton      1.19
      12.liverpool     1.25 
      13.blackpool    1.31
      14.fulham        1.04
      15.birmingham  1.10
      16.westbrom    1.04
      17. wolves       1.0
      18.aston v       1.0
      19. wigan         1.0
      20.westham      0.90

Points per match gives a better indication of likely outcome because in a season where everyone seems to be knocking everyone off the tallys are lower at the top and higher at the bottom.

If we won every single match from here our final points per match = 79/38 so  2.07 ppm
      That would mean on current trends we finish second in behind man utd.

If we won all home games and 5 of our 9 away games drawing the other 4  its 71/38 so 1.86 ppm   That could grab us 4th.   

If we won all home games and drew all away games we end up with  61/38  so  1.60 ppm
      That would mean we finish 6th behind Chelsea

If we won all home games and lost all away games we end up with  52/38    so 1.36 ppm

Likely finish would be 7th or 8th if trends of an even league continue.

Likely relegation projection of 38 points on trends mean we need about 5 more wins in 18 matches or about 15 points to be safe.  (doubtful scenario now KD is in) 

Of course if our form and points per match remain as they are on 1.25 points pm we are likely to finish 12th. 

Although winning all in scenario 1 would be a dream I think scenario 2 is a possibility, and if we could manage to win some away games 4th is not impossible.   6th is more realistic. 
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #66: Jan 11, 2011 02:14:56 pm
      No I wouldn't be happy, if that happened with signing new players and all I would only be satisfied with a CL spot.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #67: Jan 11, 2011 03:22:38 pm
      Never satisfied with less than first but it's been so long since that happened I've forgotten the feeling of being Champions.

I think however that the appointment of Kenny has given us a 10 place lift (so that puts us 2nd) and also the belief that number 19 is not that far away - so why shouldn't it be this season?

Kenny won't accept anything other than first so neither should we.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #68: Jan 11, 2011 03:25:23 pm
      I always admire your moxie DLS.

This may be down to semantics, as ever, but "realistically" we can't as much win the league as depend on others losing the league.

I share your belief in Liverpool winning, that goes without saying but i'm not so convinced that those above us will lose the requisite number of games and really that's what this thread is all about.

All your tub-thumping is admirable and indeed it would appear to put you a cut above others. However, just as you had hope (not "faith", as you put it) that Hodgson would turn things round; "realistically" you just hope rather than have "faith" that we will win the league. "Realistically" you can only hope that the eleven teams above us all falter.

"Realistically", after looking at the remaining fixtures, I can't see how (even if we win all our games) the scum will drop 20 points in the last 18 games. I certainly hope they do; I just don't share your belief that they will. ...and there's the rub - you run the risk of not being "satisfied" even if we will all our F***ing games.

I will be satisfied if we do our best. I will be as happy as a pig in sh*t (not just satisfied) if 'our best' means we win the league. However, I am "realistic" enough to know that, from where we're starting, winning all our remaining matches still may not be enough.

Like I stated earlier; semantics.

It may not be enough, but it's not enough to be satisfied with anything other than first either. If we're being satisfied with second or lower, then we're accepting we're no longer the greatest club in world football. We're accepting we're second best or by the question asked, we're accepting we're fifth or sixth best. The day Liverpool fans accept that is the day Liverpool Football Club goes officially under.

United, realistically, won't drop 20 points. Fair enough, then again Newcastle, around the same time 15 years ago, were not realistically gonna throw away a 12 point lead. Especially as quickly as they did. Why can't history repeat itself? United have already dropped 16 points from their opening 20 League games, so it's not like they're shoo-ins to win the League. It's still a possibility we win the League and a possibility I hope and I believe can happen.

Quick Reply