Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

An alternative theory?

Read 4818 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      An alternative theory?
      Jan 10, 2011 11:57:00 pm
      Bear with me on this.

First of all, anyone who knows me will know I am no Christian Purslow fan.  Reds who have followed events closely over the last 2 years will have their own opinions but my belief is that until Broughton and the RBS deal came in to play, he was a Hicks and Gillett apologist in my view.

Anyway.

Christian Purslow has been widely discredited for a lot of football interference, no more so than employing Roy Hodgson, a man most of us knew wouldn't fit for the long term future success of Liverpool.

But what about this theory?

The most important thing this summer and Autumn was stepping up action and eventually removing Hicks and Gillett (which remains the single most important thing to have happened this season).  We ridiculed him for ignoring Dalglish at the time.

But imagine if Kenny had been given the job back then.

Would our fury have been maintained against the owners?   Would we have fought so strongly at the sign of Hicks and Gillett attempting refinancing?  Would Dalglish's 'status' have been clouded by being a PR exercise of the former owners?  Would some less intelligent fans have heralded Hicks and Gillett's excellent decision and even given them some support?  Would the marches have been as effective?

The more I think about it, there is a fair chance that if Dalglish had been given the job in the summer - there is a small chance that Liverpool could still be under their control and in £450M of debt.

Now, I still believe that Purslow made the choice based on his foolish football knowledge, but there is an alternative theory, that by not employing Dalglish in the summer he may well - accidentally or purposefully - have saved the club.

Discuss.
      sonicgeeza
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      • Our History Is Untouchable
      Re: An alternative theory?
      Reply #1: Jan 11, 2011 12:00:31 am
      The pot has been well and truly stirred :)

I have to say that I doubt it was on purpose. I do agree on how things turned out though.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2: Jan 11, 2011 12:05:36 am
      Too be honest, I think the pressure was still on H & G to sell. The pressure may have eased a little from the fans, but not a great deal, and RBS were still applying the pressure on the yankstains.  I also don't think Broughton would have taken his eye of the ball either.
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #3: Jan 11, 2011 12:11:07 am
      I recon Roy was brought in purely just to end Rafas contract as he had too much control. IMO the yanks(NESV) are smart and it could have been a condition on sale, If they came in and sacked Rafa straight up it wouldnt have gone down well with most fans.

Thats just one theory not saying its true its just a theory.

At the end of the day I couldnt give two shits the King is back we are debt free and im starting to feel extremely positive about the future
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #4: Jan 11, 2011 12:18:02 am
      Well, did H&G really have much of a say on the exit of Rafa Benitez and the employment of Hodgson? MB was wielding so much executive power that he must have thought getting rid of Rafa was a tactical decision that will make the sale of LFC more hitch-free, as prospective owners would not have to deal with a 'demanding' manager.

So I think, had King Kenny been appointed then, H&G would have still be out of the door the way it came to pass.

But now, King Kenny would be under intense pressure to perform; taking over from RH.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #5: Jan 11, 2011 12:45:56 am
      An extremely interesting point. If Kenny was given the job and asked the fans to give the owners a break and to concentrate of getting behind the team, I'm sure a lot of supporters would've done so.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3903 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Jan 11, 2011 12:49:36 am
      Interesting points, but surely RBS would have demanded the money one way or the other. Would they have refinanced though. . . All I know is I'm glad they're gone and King Kenny is home
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #7: Jan 11, 2011 01:35:46 am
      Remember the story about when Gerard had the chance to sign Ronaldo, i was glad we didn't, cus if we did, hicks and gillet would still probably be here. I still think that even with Kenny in charge we would still protest. We didn't care about the results at the time, just when the deadline was due and sending those bloody emails every 20 minutes.
      pragnorok
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 11, 2011 07:15:09 am
      I see so what you are saying is you think Purslow was acting as a sort of double agent. The way in which he knew Hodgson would fail and making Hodgson look like a H&G lacky.

Wasnt it Purslow who said "no kenny you not having the job, we have plans for you" ??

Perhaps he did have a master plan after all!

However even if this is true it does not detract from the fact that he is still a two faced git. Im not sure that even he is this clever. But right now I feel a lot better than I did last week I can tell you.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Jan 11, 2011 08:40:00 am
      For me if that had been that case, they would have just left Benitez in place as all the focus was on the Yanks anyway.
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 11, 2011 09:00:40 am
      This is by fault not design. I maybe wrong with this but I understand one of the reasons Kenny wasn't considered under the H&G regims is because he is not a yes man. In the summer H&G were concerned that they should have a safe pair of hands and RH fulfilled this criteria. Manager of the year 2009/10, good relations with the press. Purslow was briefed to employ someone who was 'safe'. The appointment of Kenny would not have been seen by the dicatorship as safe: he was too risky an option. Furthermore, Kenny would not stand for any nonsense or have his hands tied if he felt things were not being done properly.

However, bringing in someone like RH, who, as we know never achieved anything in his mangerial career to warrant managing our club, would have had to tick all the boxes H&G required. Purslow simply saw that RH was supposedly suitable for this task and done the deal.

carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #11: Jan 11, 2011 09:26:48 am
      An interesting theory - no more ludicrous than Benitez and the players under performing to oust the owners...and certainly no more ludicrous than the claims that jean-michel ferri was brought in as a spy!!

Theories aside, h&g would still be long gone as the broughton's was brought in to LFC with one brief and one brief only - to sell the club.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #12: Jan 11, 2011 10:21:28 am
      i think you have an interesting point in that had kenny been appointed in summer, it would have been far more difficult for him with all the off field probs. but i do think that ultimately, it was rbs who forced the sale when h and g failed to meet payment deadlines and martin b signed off on it effectively.

it's a good point though and in hindsight, kenny has a perfectly level playing field now as storm off the field has begun to calm down and fans, players and he can fully concentrate on football.

i vaguely remember him as an eight or nine year old sitting in the dug out with that look of pure determination, he looks a lot more relaxed nowdays and its just brilliant to see that smile across his face everytime someone refers to him as the liverpool manager :)
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #13: Jan 11, 2011 10:37:15 am
      It wasn't deliberate, no way, but it does seem like it turned out right in the end - you've given us all one reason to be glad that Roy was appointed ahead of Kenny ;D
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Jan 11, 2011 11:38:31 am
      Purslow sourced a yes man and H&G ok'd it. Kenny would have not supported their actions and would have been too powerful an enemy.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #15: Jan 11, 2011 12:10:07 pm
      Not sure on Purslow and not sure whether the way things have worked out are down to his decisions.

But I am pretty sure the the club would have been sold when it did no matter who was in charge as Brougton had the wheels in motion already.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #16: Jan 11, 2011 12:22:35 pm
      feck knows. Its a new dawn, let's forget the past and give the new owenrs and management our full support now. !

YNWA!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,789 posts | 7188 
      Reply #17: Jan 11, 2011 12:54:31 pm
      I agree they were sh*t scared of giving Kenny the job Purslow more than H+G. Its all coming right now though and thats the most important thing I think we should just look forward now.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #18: Jan 11, 2011 01:46:12 pm
      Was there anything to the rumour that the purchase by NESV had been in the pipeline for months before completion and was part of the 'epic swindle'?

If that was the case then surely it follows that NESV had a hand in the decision to oust Rafa and the debating point, if true, would be why get rid of Rafa? If so the it would have to be down to Rafa wanting (allegedly) full control.

It's hard to believe that anyone would install hodgson as Manager of LFC given the fact that the majority of fans knew what was going to happen but that's probably hindsight.

The installation of the ex manager could have been a master plan to lower our expectations before the installation of King Kenny as a master-stroke of PR. If that was the case it worked. Even the pundits on sky are pontificating about Kenny whilst us fans feelings can only be described as orgasmic.

Whichever way you speculate or conspire for a conclusion the one over-riding fact is the right thing was done in the end and long may the orgasm continue.

:jackoff:  ;D
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #19: Jan 11, 2011 04:18:44 pm
      It is interesting, but I think it all fell into place.

When we were neck deep in sh*t, having the cancer's dragging us through the mud and depressing us all out there, I honestly believed we we come out rosy sooner rather than later. The "curse" had to end sooner rather than later, and karma hit them hard. We are too big and too proud a club to be wallowing too long.

Yes, we do have a long way to go, but we have a clean slate and let positivity reign! I fully believe in the FSG and we will gradually improve, and lord it at the top in the future, again.

I am very excited about the next 2 transfer windows believing we will start to build for the future with some positive, attacking signings.

I believe it all happened by chance with Purslow's idiocy, our gain in the long term. We have had so many kicks in the groin by the charlatans, but fate was always going to smile on us once more. We definitely deserved it.

Having Roy on board was draining the life out of me, but now we can look onward and upward.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20: Jan 11, 2011 05:00:55 pm
      Lovin the alternative theory.

Purslow did the two good. Rid of Hicks and Gillet and rid of Rafa.

He did the one wrong. Appoint Hodgson.  I know these were in concert with others but they were still done.

Perhaps someone was thinking that they would have a stool pidgeon in and see how they went with Kenny as a fall back.

Very few people, when you think about it, would come in with that mess going on unless they desperately wanted L.F.C. on their CV which Mr Ego Hodgson certainly did.

I was surprised and quite disappointed when he was made manager .

As they say in War Of The Worlds..  "Minds far superior than ours" may have been working behind the scenes ... or it could have just been down to random luck.

There would have been other interests ie Standard Chartered who would need soothing... so who knows?

The answer is ....... we dont know.......but its good to theorise.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #21: Jan 11, 2011 05:12:46 pm
      No alternatives purslow fu**ed up from day one, he was appointed to find £100 million investment which he almost did by asset stripping us of playing staff which weakend us on the field, roy was appointed as a yes man but made a scapegoat for purslows failings and most important bit but controversial is i believe nesv had an agreement before the sale went through that rafa had to be sacked because of the clauses in his contract and the power he had with the fans.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5047 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #22: Jan 11, 2011 06:11:16 pm
      Sorry guys i dont buy it, whatever way you look at it Purslime is a Kunt, of the lowest order, lest we forget, when Herpes and Gonorrohoea were pulling the strings he was quite happy to kowtow with them and together systematically got rid of Rafa, re-all the bullshitting and lies during that farce of finding owners etc etc, bringing in that f***in clown Hodgson, you cant tell me he did that for the benefit of our club, he is supposedly a fan, so in his heart of hearts knew he was not good enough for this club, my opinion of him is he is a slimey little f***in weed of a man a f***in cretin and something you scrape off your shoe, he may have ultimately asisted or sided with Martin Broughton and Ian Ayre in getting rid of the cancers but that only proves what a two faced f**ker he trully is, i cannot and will not give the kunt any credit whatsoever for the events of the last few months.

I apologise for the negative spin but i will never ever forgive, nor will i forget,   YNWA

IKWT

Quick Reply