Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Stevie Gerrard - Good Enough?

Read 2333 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Stevie Gerrard - Good Enough?
      Jul 28, 2007 12:01:38 pm
      I really wasn't impressed with the five minutes or so Gerrard played against Portsmouth. Do you think he's good enough or shall we cash in on him?

FFS can people please get off our players backs before the season's even begun? First Voronin had a thread asking if he was good enough when hardly anyone on here had seen him play, now we've got one about Kuyt. Give the guys a chance before slating them.
      Barnsie_04
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Re: Stevie Gerrard - Good Enough?
      Reply #1: Jul 28, 2007 12:20:35 pm
      Good shout mate.There are to many out there to quick to knock. I don't know a player who plays well all the time. Rushie got dumped back in the reserves by Paisley when he first started and i bet he had fans saying not good enough, my memory is hazy after a night on the ale but i think he came good scoring a couple of goals.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Jul 28, 2007 12:44:26 pm
      I really wasn't impressed with the five minutes or so Gerrard played against Portsmouth. Do you think he's good enough or shall we cash in on him?

FFS can people please get off our players backs before the season's even begun? First Voronin had a thread asking if he was good enough when hardly anyone on here had seen him play, now we've got one about Kuyt. Give the guys a chance before slating them.

Jesus Christ Eddie, I thought you were serious there for a minute. >:(

Everyone needs to remember that these are people and human and make mistakes like the rest of us, Gerrard didn't have the best of seasons last season, but I'm sure that was down to not having a proper rest, I think we will see a truly inspired Captain this season.

Get ready for everyone to get on Torres back if he doesn't stick that ball in the back of the net every other game.

Your right Eddie, we are special fans and should support our lads through thick and thin, they'll get enough stick from the media.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #3: Jul 28, 2007 12:49:18 pm

Listen Eddie, I wasn't judging Kuyt on yesterdays performances, I was judging him on the whole of last season and how he plays. I didn't state that and obviously it has confussed you!
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #4: Jul 28, 2007 02:26:33 pm

EddieC - it's a forum, people are allowed to voice there views - or are they?

It's not just gospel for what you think.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #5: Jul 28, 2007 02:36:34 pm
      I agree with Eddie.

Who is going to replace Zenden as the scapegoat - is what I can read with these topic's.

Voronin was questioned even before he had actually signed.
      Momo has had two very serious injuries in just over a year, but people slate him.
      Kuyt is now being questioned. Kuyt only signed last season, and already he has lost Fowler, Bellamy as strike partners, but has gained Torres, Babel and Voronin.
      It takes time to form strike partnerships and he will come good.

If people took the same time to support the players, instead of looking for faults or basically nit picking - then we would have a side full of confidence.
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #6: Jul 28, 2007 02:42:06 pm
      EddieC - it's a forum, people are allowed to voice there views - or are they?

It's not just gospel for what you think.

So what was I doing then?

I think you'll find I was 'voicing my view' that people should get off the players backs this early in the season.

If you're going to try & be a smartarse at least make sure you have a valid point, you just sound like a tw*t otherwise.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #7: Jul 28, 2007 03:04:36 pm
      So what was I doing then?

I think you'll find I was 'voicing my view' that people should get off the players backs this early in the season.

If you're going to try & be a smartarse at least make sure you have a valid point, you just sound like a tw*t otherwise.

There you go again.  Wasn't trying to be a smartarse...just seems you can 'belittle' someones post, and that's final.

They guy questioned 'Dirk Kuyt' - on yesterdays performance, I will also question if he's going to score 15+ goals next season...and not just on yesterday on last season.  I'm hoping last season was  a 'bedding' in season.

But - asking "is Kuyt good enough" - seems valid too me.  you either agree or not.  No need to make up a post rubbishing somone.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,450 posts | 2844 
      Reply #8: Jul 28, 2007 03:36:40 pm
      I am ashamed that people are making threads about if players are good enough before the season has started
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #9: Jul 28, 2007 03:44:28 pm
      I am ashamed that people are making threads about if players are good enough before the season has started

Chat06 - it gives people something to discuss though - and isn't that the point of this site.

As i keep, keep saying...you either agree or not.

I was one of the people questioning Sissoko a few weeks back...after yesterday's performance I can't see how he can be left out now.
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 29, 2007 11:05:36 am
      Why on earth are you all getting so hot under the collar over conjecture?

Give the players a break and formulate your decisions on performance when the season starts not by how we measure in friendly games.

Some people are never happy unless there is something to moan about!!!

:poke:
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #11: Jul 29, 2007 11:20:51 am
      I was one of the people questioning Sissoko a few weeks back...after yesterday's performance I can't see how he can be left out now.

One good performance and you don't see how he can be left out now? Now that is fickleness of the highest order. I don't see how you can completely change your opinion of someone after one game, especially a pre season friendly.
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #12: Jul 29, 2007 01:04:52 pm
      Jeez folks........its only pre-season as well.......god help us this season if this is how we are gonna be on here.....relax, enjoy the summer rain and wait till the seaon starts...... ;)
      Cy
      Reply #13: Jul 29, 2007 01:24:15 pm
      Backing players and managers has always be a tradition at Liverpool and it should stay as such, that is partly why we have been so competitive for so long, because we don't put unnecessary pressure on our players or managers.. There is a fine line between constructive criticism and slating players, constructive criticism is what this forum is about, been agree or not with someone is little valid without any arguments, so statement like "kuyt is not good enough" on his own especially base on one performance is simply ridicule. If some people want to slating players in here I'm afraid they are supporting the wrong club. Now If you have argumentative criticism, brilliant!

Having an opinion on how good or not a player is right now is Nonsense, the season hasn't start yet! Like Mrtommo wisely said, partnership need a bit of time to build, especially in front, that is why preseason friendly are for!

Is this thread really necessary?
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #14: Jul 29, 2007 02:04:51 pm
      Was this a piss take this thread? Are you having a laugh is Stevie good enough? If you are being serious, I honestly recommend you see a doctor ;)
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #15: Jul 29, 2007 02:36:52 pm
      One good performance and you don't see how he can be left out now? Now that is fickleness of the highest order. I don't see how you can completely change your opinion of someone after one game, especially a pre season friendly.

This goes back to your rotation post (mate).  I'd like to see players kept in the side when they have good games. 

Pre-season is all about getting players fit and proving they are worthy of a place in the side.

Stop the vendetta and start opening your eyes.  Sissoko was awesome, and if he keeps that up, he should be first choice...end of!
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 29, 2007 04:51:56 pm
      Was this a piss take this thread? Are you having a laugh is Stevie good enough? If you are being serious, I honestly recommend you see a doctor ;)

Read this initial post again.

Anyway, anybody getting on the back of any of the new boys is out of line in my opinion.  You just have to give players time to settle in.  Yes - now that Zenden has gone there will be a new scapegoat in the eyes of some fans - there always is.  I would imagine most fans have a player that they think isn't fit enough to wear the shirt.

I have mine and I have made no secret that I don't think Pennant is good enough for us but I was pleased when he pulled his finger out in the second half of the season and started looking like he was certainly capable of being in our squad.  I would love nothing more than for Jermaine Pennant to come round to my house in May with a Premiership medal and tell me to kiss his arse.

Pointing out failings in players is one of things you can do in  forums and the pub but not during the 90 minutes of the game!

But to start picking on new players is out of line - players who we have had for a bit - I don't see anything wrong with a bit of intelligent discussion.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #17: Jul 30, 2007 08:34:08 am
      Pre season means nothing.  You can't judge anybody's form on a few friendly games particularly as Rafa is clearlty giving evryone a run out.  The important thing is that we now have more quality in depth.  If any player isn't 'good enough' they will be warming the bench or playing in the reserves.  Rafa is ruthless if a player isn't hacking it - look at Gonzalez.

If they are good enough for Rafa then they are good enough for me.
      Finnan1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #18: Jul 30, 2007 02:31:44 pm
      There are a lot of guys with sand in their Vagina's here i think we all need to take a deep breathe.

You know what I'll say this for both sides of this arguement. Is it too early for judgement on players perhaps but there is nothing wrong with basing opinions on  other seasons if it is just that AN OPINION secondly these guys "earn" more every single day than I do a year and we worship them like gods for it so I don't think they nor we should feel to bad about players succumbing to some scrutiny. You all let it get a bit out of hand and now look all your vagina's are full of sand!! If there is a thread you don't like don't post in it. Come on guys were all just a group of fans having a bit of banter instead of doing some work.

This is why I love Finnan, you just can't question Finnan!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #19: Jul 30, 2007 02:34:19 pm
      There are a lot of guys with sand in their Vagina's here I think we all need to take a deep breathe.

Eh man we have ladies using these message boards you know.
      Finnan1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #20: Jul 30, 2007 02:41:18 pm
      Oh s*it I'm sorry I didn't realise

Come on guys AND GIRLS were all just a group of fans having a bit of banter instead of doing some work.

Phew dodged a bullet there thanks man.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #21: Jul 30, 2007 03:00:43 pm

Good.. and you were saying?
      Finnan1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #22: Jul 30, 2007 03:20:14 pm
      I was saying nothing and everything. I think it's a little early to be judging players when the season hasn't even kicked off but I find myself doing it a lot of the time I think it's a combination of excitement and expectations it sometimes might come across as just being a bit of a b@stard but I think a lot of people here jst have so much passion for this club so we shouldn't argue amongst ourselves.  I'm just gonna throw out something we can all agree on  we should bring back Traore and Cisse!  ::)

Quick Reply