Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

My Song...

Read 1624 times
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 703 posts | 34 
      My Song...
      Jan 26, 2011 12:09:05 am
      Hey folks, not been posting on here as much recently, but basically, in the past 2 weeks I have been visiting my GP and have been diagnosed with depression. One of the things my counsellor suggested was writing my feelings down on paper,  so I did, in the form of a song. I just wanted to post it on here and see what you guys think about it, I also hope that through me talking about my condition it may encourage others to pluck up the courage and take that first step to getting better :) The support I have had has been absolutely amazing, and a friend has even been good enough to offer me the chance to record this. So here it is folks, hope you all enjoy.

The Problems You Cause

Verse 1

When it feels like the world is caving in
      Leaving you with no idea where to begin
      Search for the spark the light in the dark
      The highs are filled with joy
      The lows with desperation

Bridge

With a heart that’s ripped to pieces
      And a feeling so empty inside
      Taking positives aint so easy
      Coming to your demise

Chorus

The problems you cause
      Are greater than the ones you solve
      Cause for me I just need to be free
      From it all

Verse 2

When it feels like people are out to hurt you
      Caring too much seems to be the downfall
      The demons inside tell you its all lies
      Paranoia is a bi*ch
      And so are you

Chorus

The problems you cause
      From it all

Verse 3

When it feels like you have no true foundations
      Things never seem to go your way
      Trying to die trying to survive
      Your bed is your best friend
      Frightened this is then end

Bridge

Coming to your demise

Chorus

The problems you cause
      From it all

Verse 4

When it feels like you want to end it all
      And you feel like you’ve come to the end of the road
      Your dreams are then tossed you feel hopeless and lost
      Scream and shout for someone to love
      No one will ever know

Bridge

Coming to your demise

Chorus

The problems you cause
      From it all
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: My Song...
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2011 12:51:45 pm
      Fair play. Send it to Biffy Clyro, see what they can do with it :p

I, like many others on here I'm sure have been through dark times in the past and I couldn't agree more that it helps to write feelings and share them.
      I used to use Myspace when I split from my wife some time ago and, off my own back, I poured my heart out on there (only visible to friends) in the form of poetry. I wouldn't say it was any good but that wasn't the point. I would imagine that some people rolled their eyes when they read it and thought 'snap out of it' but I also found others who cared enough to respond, be it with compliments or to invite me for a drink.
      One thing I would suggest though is that even if you're struggling to see the positives, try to end your song / poem / letter on a positive note. For example in my waffle, I ended by conceeding that with support from friends, I couldn't fall far.
      Unless you do that then everything else you write will have the same tone and you will make yourself depressed, never mind anything else that you're going through.
      Another tip which is very useful whether you're suffering from depression, stress or anciety is to get hold of a diary. One function of it is to simply jot down how you're feeling at any given time. In your case these snippets might help you to write more songs. Another function is to help you plan ahead. Whatever your mental state, you will only feel worse if day to day issues such as finances and logistics get on top of you. If you know you need to post a letter, pay a bill, make a phone call or anything on a certain day, write it down and when you get to that day, get it out of the way as soon as possible. If you just keep these things in your head then stress will start to creep in.
      Anyway, chin up and keep posting, not just on this board but on the whole forum. there are a lot of decent people on here and it's a nice distraction sometimes!

YNWA    :gt-happyup:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Jan 26, 2011 12:59:03 pm
      Looks like some quality Alice In Chains material. . . All you need now is an angry guitar riff and a pounding drum beat. . .  ;) man I could post you some good songs I've written after hard times. Stay strong man. . . And when times get dark feel free to post here if it help. One of the reasons I love this club is the anthem that carrier you from the depths. YNWA Remember that
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #3: Jan 26, 2011 01:00:42 pm
      Looks like some quality Alice In Chains material. . .

Down in a hole, feelin so small
      Down in a hole, losin my soul
      Id like to fly,
      But my wings have been so denied

..... :action-smiley-035:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Jan 26, 2011 01:17:42 pm
      Maybe I should change the Pearl Jam thread to the. . . Dirty Rotten Grunge Thread - Music For The Misguided. . . Would have some good music for SS to listen to
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #5: Jan 26, 2011 01:26:13 pm
      Maybe I should change the Pearl Jam thread to the. . . Dirty Rotten Grunge Thread - Music For The Misguided. . . Would have some good music for SS to listen to
      My favourite music genre / era :D

Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Sonic Youth, Mad Season, Tad, Dinosaur Jr etc etc....

Anyway, we're hijacking someone else's thread here, ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Jan 26, 2011 01:29:51 pm
      Sorry man. . . Although I do find it odd you left Nirvana out of that list :)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #7: Jan 26, 2011 01:41:59 pm
      They were in the 'etc etc' bit, ;D. I was a big Nirvana fan in the 90s but I guess they got overplayed and it wore a bit thin. Got Bleach in my car today as it happens.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #8: Jan 26, 2011 02:41:57 pm
      Thanks for the support guys. Song writing is something that helps me get my feelings out there in my darkest hours, and it's only recently I have been able to become outspoken about my condition, I'll take into consideration the ending on a happy note Reprobate that sounds like a good thing for obvious reasons, it's bring myself round to thinking like that that's the trouble. And about the diary, that's something that my psychiatrist has suggested also so they can take a look and asses certain things. It's just finding that motivation to go out and DO things, that's the hardest thing for me to be honest, especially with such low self esteem! "You'll never walk alone" means a lot to me in more ways than just one, so thanks folks, it's greatly appreciated!!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #9: Jan 26, 2011 04:45:00 pm
      I'm not a great believer in psychiatrists, I found appointments became a chore and I couldn't be arsed to fill out a diary for their sake. I'm not telling you to ignore their advice but I'd consider a diary (or calendar) just for the planning side and use the other for feelings, maybe? I totally understand what you mean about not having the motivation to get out and that what makes this bit of advice so important. By making these small plans and sorting things as they come, you eventually form routines and and get back into the cycle of things. This in turn will help you to feel 'normal' again and make it easier to take the next step.
      There's no quick fix but time will always heal.

Quick Reply