Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Carra on Soccer Saturday

Read 12407 times
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Re: Carra on Soccer Saturday
      Reply #69: Jan 18, 2011 12:16:44 pm
      If you refuse for example, to play in a certain position for the benefit of the team or talk to journo's off the record, then you will get some incoming.  Legend yes - on the field, but play politics and some people will get franked off.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,985 posts | 5044 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #70: Jan 18, 2011 12:26:24 pm
      If you refuse for example, to play in a certain position for the benefit of the team or talk to journo's off the record, then you will get some incoming.  Legend yes - on the field, but play politics and some people will get franked off.

Where's the solid evidence he refused to play out of position, or that he spoke off the record to journo's, were you there ?  i very much doubt you were, your entitled to your opinion fella like everyone on this forum is, but all this is bollocks imho, so much for keeping things inhouse a ethic this club was once famous for, therefore its ironic that some of its fans decide not to !
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #71: Jan 18, 2011 12:32:22 pm
      Where's the solid evidence he refused to play out of position, or that he spoke off the record to journo's, were you there ?  I very much doubt you were, your entitled to your opinion fella like everyone on this forum is, but all this is bollocks imho, so much for keeping things inhouse a ethic this club was once famous for, therefore its ironic that some of its fans decide not to !

From what I remember, Carra didn't refuse to play out of position, but explained that as he was getting older he just found it more difficult to play full back as it entailed more running.

Certainly if he refused to play out of position he was totally wrong, but thats not what I remember.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #72: Jan 18, 2011 12:32:30 pm
      Billythered, were you there to witness carra did not say it or do it? Being that your very defensive of him.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #73: Jan 18, 2011 12:34:30 pm
      From what I remember, Carra didn't refuse to play out of position, but explained that as he was getting older he just found it more difficult to play full back as it entailed more running.

Certainly if he refused to play out of position he was totally wrong, but thats not what I remember.

If he aint got the legs to play where he is told then he should hang up his boots. Simple.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,157 posts | 3385 
      Reply #74: Jan 18, 2011 12:35:40 pm
      Fair enough DLS as far as appearing on socc sat, but the talkshite incident was when Adrian Durham slated Carra for retiring from the England set up, Carra quite rightly phoned his show and had a dig at Durham and explained his reasons for his retirement, all was forgiven and that was that, in the interim Carra was contacted to ask his opinions on other matters concerning football in general and obviously anything to do with Liverpool, subsequently when Capello persuaded Carra to come out of retirement to help the 2010 campaign and  Carra jumped at it although he only played one game in the end, anyway throughout all of it Carra and Durham built up a mutual respect for each other and that continues today, i cant see anything wrong in that, in the past i'm sure there are plenty of sports professionals who over the years had their favourite journo or presenter, Carra is no different, and it certainly does not warrant slating/bashing the fella for appearing on certain media shows, whether thats talkshite or whatever, the very fact he does appear regularly just means his opinions and ideas are valued and that he will give a open and honest view which deserves respect.

Well I thought Carra was a tit for going back to England as well. What he did in South Africa was exactly the same as his reasoning for retiring from international football in the first place. He was sat on the bench twiddling his thumbs and was there as second choice full back, not even as a centre half. I expressed that view many times during last summer as well.

As for his and Durham's little spat, now all of a sudden bezzie mates. How can Carra respect somebody who called him a sh*t house? Durham then sh*t himself when Carra phoned up and has probably been licking Carra's arse ever since.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #75: Jan 18, 2011 12:45:12 pm
      Billythered, were you there to witness carra did not say it or do it? Being that your very defensive of him.
      Doubt he was mate, the same as those people who claim he did refuse to play wern't there either.

All these rumoours about Carra being the master in the dressing room, refusing to play here and there, ousting Rafa from his position, all have come from someone who knew someone else who heard it off some bloke sitting in the corner of the dressing room. Seen this debate so many times on this board and I've still never seen any cocnrete evidence linking him to any of these rumours.

At the end of the day, as long as he performs on the pitch, thats all concerns me.
      I was one of those questioning whether he should be dropped, but after seeing our performances since his injury.. My God do we need him back, if only for a year or two, we're all over the place at the moment.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #76: Jan 18, 2011 01:06:35 pm
      If he aint got the legs to play where he is told then he should hang up his boots. Simple.

As Carra said himself  "I played full back at the World Cup and you could tell the difference. Physically, you have to get up and down the pitch. Centre back is more of a mental thing.”

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #77: Jan 18, 2011 01:09:48 pm
      Thats not the answer to the question saint, if carra does not have the legs to play in a position he is told then he should be replaced by someone who has.

Agree or not?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #78: Jan 18, 2011 01:19:15 pm
      Thats not the answer to the question saint, if carra does not have the legs to play in a position he is told then he should be replaced by someone who has.

Agree or not?

I think any player should play where the manager tells him. I don't agree that if a player can't play fullback (for whatever reason) he shouldn't be allowed to still play in a position he can play in.

If Spearing was asked to play centre back and explained that due to his lack of height he couldn't do it very well, does that mean he shouldn't be allowed to continue playing where he can still play..... midfield.

Its the managers decision every time for me, but I see nothing wrong in Carra explaining his reasons..... as long as if the manager decides for the good of the team he still wants him to play out of position...... HE DOES! 
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #79: Jan 18, 2011 01:21:57 pm
      If spearing cannot play cb due to his height and we have plenty cover in other parts of the field the spearing sits on the bench.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,985 posts | 5044 
      Reply #80: Jan 18, 2011 02:56:28 pm
      No i wasn't Shabs, but to honest i don't think its relevant, unless its straight from the horses mouth no one can really believe anything that's made public these days, i read the posts saying Carra had said this or said that to whatever journo, but i took it with a pinch of salt, for all i know they could have been construed as wum material and not worth discussing, i defend Carra because i believe he would not stoop so low in revealing information to the detriment of LFC, why would he? if i am proved wrong then i will be the first to apologise and take a large slice of humble pie.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,985 posts | 5044 
      Reply #81: Jan 18, 2011 03:14:43 pm
      Well I thought Carra was a tit for going back to England as well. What he did in South Africa was exactly the same as his reasoning for retiring from international football in the first place. He was sat on the bench twiddling his thumbs and was there as second choice full back, not even as a centre half. I expressed that view many times during last summer as well.

As for his and Durham's little spat, now all of a sudden bezzie mates. How can Carra respect somebody who called him a sh*t house? Durham then sh*t himself when Carra phoned up and has probably been licking Carra's arse ever since.
      With respect DLS, thats entirely up to Carra if he accepts the apology from Durham and his extremely brown tongueing, who are we to critisise Carra for that, all this tit for tat stuff just is in extremely bad taste, if you pardon the pun  :f_whistle:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #82: Jan 18, 2011 03:32:14 pm
      I liked carra alot but loved rafa more and untill carra can prove he is onnocent on the rafagate affair he us guilty in my eyes.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,725 posts | 7164 
      Reply #83: Jan 18, 2011 07:31:29 pm
      My post from earlier seems to have dissappeared.I was basically saying how long is it since theKop sang the Cara song....quite a while it used to be a regular feature 3 or 4 years ago. that to me says everything we all know what went on his mate Roy giving  him a nice contract didnt go down too well either.
      He has become far too vocal with his own team and needs to concentrate more on his own game.We need Jamie from 2005 for the rest of this season.Leave the media work to Thomo
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #84: Jan 19, 2011 11:38:18 am
      I liked carra alot but loved rafa more and untill carra can prove he is onnocent on the rafagate affair he us guilty in my eyes.

Least your honest enough to admit it mate. I don't like either of them more than the other as I don't know either, but if I read a second hand account of something Rafa was supposed to have said to someone about something which had been gained from a third party source from someone who knows someone, I'd dismiss it as b****** without question. I offer the same courtesy to Carra.

It's easier just to look at the facts of the situation. Carra played fullback for us while Rafa was the manager loads of times, why would he suddenly refuse to do it? Rafa played the likes of Fabio Aurelio in midfield, Javier Masherano at left full back, Peter Crouch on the left wing, Steven Gerrard ditto and all kinds of strange permutations, so we are being asked to believe that WOULDN'T play Martin Skyrtel at right back against Middlesboro? Nah, don't but it meself.

Actions speak louder than words, even carras words. He's the best defender we've got by absolutely miles, anybody who can't see how much we are missing him is either blind, clueless or both. He can do whatever media programmes he wants as far as I'm concerned, I don't give a f*** frankly.  
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,725 posts | 7164 
      Reply #85: Jan 19, 2011 03:37:36 pm
      On football terms alone his form for the past 18 months has been poor to average and hasnt been anything like the player he was before Sami left.
      He certainly didnt deserve a new contract so its time for him to get his head down stop shouting at his own players and prove he is worth his place.
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2011 03:43:54 pm by waltonl4 »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #86: Jan 19, 2011 03:41:57 pm
      How about he tears that contract up and moves on to a play and cash deal only, I mean if you have the clubs best intrest at heart that should not be too much for carra now would it.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #87: Jan 19, 2011 03:53:22 pm
      How about he tears that contract up and moves on to a play and cash deal only, I mean if you have the clubs best intrest at heart that should not be too much for carra now would it.

In fairness you could say that about all players. How about Torres tearing up his deal while he's injured for weeks on end, ditto Gerrard, or perhaps Rafa not bothering to take compensation when he was moved on. Players, managers, coach drivers and all the rest of them are in it for themselves first, for the club (if you're lucky) second. That's why I don't go a bundle on all this "but he loves the club" b*******, regardless of who we're applying it to at the time.

The main concern with anyone connected to the club is whether or not they are doing their job properly. Whether or not they "get the fans" or "love the club" is by the by as far as I'm concerned. It's whether or not they do their job properly. Carragher does, has for many years, and remains the best at it that we currently have. As such, I don't give a t*** which radio presenter he is best friends with.   
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #88: Jan 19, 2011 04:00:03 pm

Didn't he turn down a one year rolling deal offered before?  
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #89: Jan 19, 2011 04:40:57 pm
      He's the best defender we've got by absolutely miles,

And here is the problem.

Some seem to think that because he chucks himself about a lot (gallery shots for the press) that means he's a good defender, when actually the opposite is true.
      If he was as good as some seem to think he is, he wouldn't NEED to throw himself around, because he would be in the right position.

It might not go down too well, but I think Sami made Carra look better than he actually is, because there we had a player who really could read the game, cover the angles and organise the defense.

carra is a poor mans Sami - the fact he has been ignored by so many international managers is testament to this.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #90: Jan 19, 2011 04:43:39 pm
      It might not go down too well, but I think Sami made Carra look better than he actually is, because there we had a player who really could read the game, cover the angles and organise the defense.

A fair enough assessment, i'd say KiK.

Carragher will make a good enough T.V. pundit tho'.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #91: Jan 19, 2011 04:50:01 pm
      And here is the problem.

Some seem to think that because he chucks himself about a lot (gallery shots for the press) that means he's a good defender, when actually the opposite is true.
      If he was as good as some seem to think he is, he wouldn't NEED to throw himself around, because he would be in the right position.

carra is a poor mans Sami - the fact he has been ignored by so many international managers is testament to this.

Can't really argue with that. Carra's been a legend for us (on the pitch) but he's never been the most cultured defender and Sami showed us how it should be done.

Quick Reply