Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Stewart Downing (Aston Villa)

Read 168377 times
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Re: Stewart Downing (Aston Villa)
      Reply #1610: Jul 14, 2011 06:47:53 am
      Made Up Great Player
      And another leftie Wow.
      We should have got him when he left Boro'

Unlike certain other wingers we have been linked with he is
      a proper team player he creates chances for others & he crosses
      a great ball.

Who gives a sh*t how much he cost my season ticket was £802 weather
      we signed him or not.Proven prem performer.

How can anyone say he isnt quality i was at Villa at the end of last season
      Best player on the pitch by a mile.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #1611: Jul 14, 2011 07:10:27 am
      On a side note, it must be pretty worrying being a Villa fan at the minute.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1612: Jul 14, 2011 07:16:50 am
      Welcome mate, YNWA. He's quality, fee is decent too.
      SL
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts |
      • The King is back!!
      Reply #1613: Jul 14, 2011 07:44:13 am
      good player ,creates alot of chances with a decent cross ,pleased with this  ;D
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #1614: Jul 14, 2011 08:42:47 am
      Made up with this signing. A winger who can play either side, doesn't have a record of big injuries (touch wood), and is someone i feel is only going to add strength to this team. Look forward to him joining the first team. Now just a left back and a backup striker and i consider this transfer window a out and out success.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #1615: Jul 14, 2011 08:45:36 am
      The fact he is comfortable on the right as well as the left is a great bonus.. him and suarez will be able to swap sides and make it hard for the full backs to pick them up.. good signing im pleased.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1616: Jul 14, 2011 08:53:48 am
       Finally it looks like the Downing transfer is coming to a conclusion,all we want now is to see him succeed in the RED of L.F.C, and bring number 19 home.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #1617: Jul 14, 2011 09:15:04 am
      "We will now try to agree personal terms with him, but it will all depend on the medical. It is a work in progress and we will see what happens and keep you informed."

This says to me Kenny has his doubts about him passing a medical
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1618: Jul 14, 2011 09:17:13 am
      Hmm dunno, think hes unlikely to come out and say "Hes basically our player, can't see him having any issues in the medical" just incase he does fail it haha :P He doesn't have the best injury record but I can't see it being anything serious
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1619: Jul 14, 2011 09:19:40 am
      "We will now try to agree personal terms with him, but it will all depend on the medical. It is a work in progress and we will see what happens and keep you informed."

This says to me Kenny has his doubts about him passing a medical
      Remember Asa Hartford from West Brom,I think.Hole in the heart and he eventually went to City and had no problems as far as I know.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #1620: Jul 14, 2011 09:24:23 am
      Haha!

Reckon Downing will get the 19 Shirt.

The players we are targeting seem to suit Andy Carroll more than suiting Suarez.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #1621: Jul 14, 2011 09:26:43 am
      Carroll needs service,Suarez makes his own.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #1622: Jul 14, 2011 09:32:08 am
      The players we are targeting seem to suit Andy Carroll more than suiting Suarez.

Don't necessarily agree.

I'd imagine defenders will be so worried about Carroll that it wouldn't surprise me at all if Suarez scored more than our striker next year.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #1623: Jul 14, 2011 09:36:10 am
      Don't necessarily agree.

I'd imagine defenders will be so worried about Carroll that it wouldn't surprise me at all if Suarez scored more than our striker next year.

I fully expect Suarez to score more goals, I just feel Downing, and Adam have been brought in to provide more for Carroll than Suarez, as we know Suarez can create his own chances.
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #1624: Jul 14, 2011 09:44:16 am
      Stated it previously but i think that weve paid over the odds yet again.

However ive always rated downing, think the lad is a very good player, weve been crying out for a decent left winger since berger really so cant wait to see him in a red shirt next season.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1625: Jul 14, 2011 09:47:34 am
       I think he'll provide Steve Finnanesque consistency which can't be overstated. Always will work for the shirt, always will put crosses in, always will put a shift in. Seems like a lot of money for him to me and he's going to need to add 20-30% on top of what he's shown so far in order to be worth it, but it's definately doable. Kennys team is starting to take shape I think.
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #1626: Jul 14, 2011 09:48:54 am
      Made Up Great Player
      And another leftie Wow.
      We should have got him when he left Boro'

Unlike certain other wingers we have been linked with he is
      a proper team player he creates chances for others & he crosses
      a great ball.

Who gives a sh*t how much he cost my season ticket was £802 weather
      we signed him or not.Proven prem performer.

How can anyone say he isnt quality I was at Villa at the end of last season
      Best player on the pitch by a mile.

loving the poem like way of posting. doesnt rhyme though so you lose some browny points.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1627: Jul 14, 2011 09:51:23 am
      I think Kenny's focus is getting both strikers into double figures next season, whilst it may appear that Downing an Adam have been brought in solely for Carroll, Kenny is canny enough to know that with the width that Downing will supply will stretch the pitch and give our central midfield more space to play in and thus make it easier to feed balls into Suarez.

Its a good signing for me as it gives us variation our play as we seen yesterday Carroll can get on to balls played straight through the middle but having Downing from the left and Adams set piece delivery just adds another dimension to our play and means we can mix it up a bit and attack from different areas.

Watching Adam and Aquilani play probing balls into the channels yesterday is something I expect we'll see a lot more of this season and whether it be Kuyt, Henderson, Downing, Maxi or Suarez, I expect we'll take advantage of a good percentage of them.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #1628: Jul 14, 2011 10:00:10 am
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #1629: Jul 14, 2011 10:05:17 am
      not worth 20 million, but as many people have said already, we moan when we spend too much and we moan when we dont spend ebough, so i'm not complaining! hope he can fit in and get playing some decent stuff :)
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #1630: Jul 14, 2011 10:16:31 am
      its all relitive.. yes the prices are obscene nowadays but if you want a player you tend to have to pay what the selling club want.. from what iv heard its 15 plus add ons.. the fact he put the transfer request in means he wont be due to the couple of million loyalty bonus from villa which has probably come off the fee

we didnt complain when we got 50 million for torres
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5047 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1631: Jul 14, 2011 10:24:19 am
      Quality signing and definately not the final piece, we need a LB and a back up striker, Downing wants to be @ LFC and although the price tag is slightly over the top if he helps bring CL football and a top3 + finish it will be money well spent, Downing will spread play and create havoc, bring balance to the side, supply crosses/passes for the big fella and back up the new LB, the more i think about it the more i'm liking our chances of a genuine title bid, we have the hunger and the desire, we have strength in depth, we have the tools capable of matching any top side in the league, why not be realistic, why cant we go from 6th to 1st, who said we cant, i can see us being right up there, this could be it PPL.

C'MON U REDS
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1632: Jul 14, 2011 10:25:14 am

Kenny: Downing latest

14th Jul 2011

Kenny Dalglish was today quizzed on the news Liverpool have agreed a fee with Aston Villa for the transfer of Stewart Downing.

News broke on Liverpoolfc.tv late on Wednesday night announcing the Reds had been given permission to speak to the England international winger and arrange a medical after reaching an agreement with Villa.

In front of a mass of TV crews, journalists and fans in Malaysia, Dalglish was joined by Daniel Agger, Dirk Kuyt and Managing Director Ian Ayre for a press conference at the One World hotel.

And with everyone eager to know the latest on Downing, Dalglish said: "We have been given permission to speak to the player.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kenny-downing-latest

Quick Reply