Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Torres
      (27.4%)
      Spearing
      (8.1%)
      Meireles
      (11.8%)
      Kelly
      (39.8%)
      Johnson
      (3.8%)
      Leiva
      (9.1%)

Liverpool 2-2 Everton: In game thread and post match discussion

Read 63182 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Everton: In game thread and post match discussion
      Reply #966: Jan 16, 2011 07:45:58 pm
      Everton did have 60% possesion in the second half so that is still a worry. We havent got a cool headed midfielder who plays the game at his own pace a Jan Molby if you like Arteta does the same. We were a bit like headless chickens at time giving the ball back far too often and they seemed reluctant to play from the back up.Still lots of positives no chin rubbbing for and planety of things for Kenny to look at.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #967: Jan 16, 2011 07:53:53 pm
      Everton did have 60% possesion in the second half so that is still a worry. We havent got a cool headed midfielder who plays the game at his own pace a Jan Molby if you like Arteta does the same. We were a bit like headless chickens at time giving the ball back far too often and they seemed reluctant to play from the back up.Still lots of positives no chin rubbbing for and planety of things for Kenny to look at.

After watching the Spurs - Scum game I really wish we could of got Modric back when we were linked with him, he seems to keep the ball so well.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #968: Jan 16, 2011 07:56:58 pm
      After watching the Spurs - Scum game I really wish we could of got Modric back when we were linked with him, he seems to keep the ball so well.

Yeah Modric is my favorite player from another club. Does everything with such class and has great dribbling skills. He signed 6 year deal with spurs so no chance him leaving. Comolli found him for spurs so let's hope he can the same again :).
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #969: Jan 16, 2011 07:57:41 pm
      fo-king sh-t game all they eva do is let us fans down fo-king wa-k

Why are you even a fan? LFC 4EVA my arse, you are writing them off after a draw? Go support man city.

In my opinion again it was a much, much improved team over the Hodgson days. We we trying to create going forward, split the defense (which we did a few times) and just seemed to be more drive there. Still just looks a team low-ish on confidence BUT building, and Kenny has only been there a week as well and had three games to contend with. Two of them derbies. IMO it should have been better (Blackpool was awful, should have had a win here) but thats down to the players. I can see Kenny's vision starting to form, and i like it. Players just need to respond more.

Sort out that god awful F***ing defense though, my god. Skrtel, i love ya lad, but you are sh*t right now and i'll drive you to the airport myself unless you sort it out. Enough is enough.

MOTM for me is Kelly, absolutely. That lad is PURE F***ing CLASS! I watch him play and he looks as experienced and as calm as Carragher at times, and i can't believe he is that young. It excites me that we have a player like that coming through, just great to see.

Torres looks a different player under Dalglish - the player we know and love. This shows to any of those idiot doubters how much Hodgson was bringing the whole team down - just look at Torres from two weeks ago to today and what you see is a Volvo and a Ferrari. Keep it up Nando, the goals will start coming.

Away at Wolves next week? Kenny needs to change our away day misery and start getting us a force again away from home, and our players need to change that mindset as well. A week to prepare as well, so come on. I want a win, and im damn sure Kenny wants nothing less than a win to get his first one up.

YNWA
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #970: Jan 16, 2011 07:59:44 pm
      I came on with a view to giving a (sort of) in depth analysis but you know what - this sums up how I'm feeling at the mo'.  I'm seeing more commitment from players that seem to be enjoying the game again and subsequently my enjoyment has returned also. :nod:

Agreed. Still lots of work to do, but at least our players seem to wanna play football again - and thus i actually want to watch them play football, rather than feeling like i have to :D
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #971: Jan 16, 2011 08:08:28 pm
      Went the game and thought first half we should have been out of sight. First 10 mins of the second half though we were asleep. I would definitely drop Skrtl at the moment for his own good. He is so out of sorts. I would put Kelly and Agger centre backs and have aAurellio on left with Johnson back on the right. Good to see Raul get his first goal, but the downside is that he is still shirking 50/50 tackles. That needs to stop now. Lucas was doing silly fouls like he used to as well.
      Nice to see Nando's workrate right up today!

Overall, plenty of work ahead but the glass is definitely half full and not half empty
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,270 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #972: Jan 16, 2011 08:13:00 pm
      Apart from the second half performance from our center backs, i thought we looked much stronger, the first half going forwad was very good and we should have scored more than the one goal we did.
       Kelly was vert good Torres looked like his old self, the team looked stronger, more together and with a little luck we will come good, would be nice to sign a player or two.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #973: Jan 16, 2011 08:13:24 pm
      we will miss torres next week yes leaky defence. luck for some reason has a big bearing on result we are not getting it. perhaps everyone should step up there work rate. as the harder you work the luckier you get. but skertal seems like a liability, he should be dropped also sotis is a liability as well lately. 
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #974: Jan 16, 2011 08:20:30 pm
      Torres will be available next week people!!!!!!!!
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #975: Jan 16, 2011 08:25:18 pm
      It was quite an open game and certainly the best at Anfield this season....Liverpool completely dominated first half,i went with a view in letting my criticisms go over me and it worked as player limitations were noted long before this game and i didn't want to tread old ground...We were a lot better today and showed a lot of spirit and fight,ok the quality was lacking but that's a given now anyway and whereas the will to win isn't.

Our midfield in the first half was superior to theirs but too many long balls or on a wing and prayer balls to Torres exposed that lack of quality but believe it or not today it worked and despite a hit and miss performance Meireles took his goal well and i hope he takes some confidence from this game as he was more involved today..

Everton came out with a little more positivity and took over the game for twenty minutes,going 1:2 was deserved and Liverpool looked lost,suddenly all that was good about the first half had disappeared and i thought we might go down here as i couldn't see us scoring but we got back into it and then we took over again and at times it was often a case of just that little extra quality in the final pass or finish that let us down.....But this was so much better and we should take heart from this,the players tried and they looked more like a team and we came back from a goal down which shows some courage,courage we haven't seen this  season.....Better teams than Everton will beat us this season and when i say better i mean better footballing sides but we'll do enough to carry us through if this afternoon was anything to go by.....HUGO RODALLEGA and N'ZOGBIA please....
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Reply #976: Jan 16, 2011 08:49:18 pm
      Is it true there was trouble at the game today. Heard slot of conflicting rumors, stabbings that sort of thing anyone clarify?
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #977: Jan 16, 2011 08:49:28 pm
      off topic I know but did anyone hear the craic with what happened outside The King Harry? The Echo has it's usual useless take on it but I cant find any other info and didn't wanna start a new topic

???
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #978: Jan 16, 2011 08:53:42 pm
      Is it true there was trouble at the game today. Heard slot of conflicting rumors, stabbings that sort of thing anyone clarify?

I think a few of the more respected national journos tweeted that there was an incident at The King Harry which resulted in no arrests and no injuries.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #979: Jan 16, 2011 08:57:45 pm
      off topic I know but did anyone hear the craic with what happened outside The King Harry? The Echo has it's usual useless take on it but I cant find any other info and didn't wanna start a new topic

???

Lots of rumours. As far as we can tell nothing out of the ordinary.

But some one has been stirring a lot of sh*te.

ITN report NO STABINGS.
      BBC Merseyside report NO ARREST ans NO STABINGS.
      Echo report an incident.

Move on nothing to see here.  :mf_bobby:
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #980: Jan 16, 2011 09:01:16 pm
      Yeah pretty much whats been said^

Apparently there was abit of trouble, someone on twitter started a rumour that an Everton fan had been stabbed and murdered. If that was the case pretty sure it would be all over the news by now.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #981: Jan 16, 2011 09:02:22 pm

I left right at the end and walked passed the Everton fans just as they were coming out so i'm not sure if anything happened....It came over the tannoy that there had been and incident at the King Harry and that part of Anfield road had been closed off but i've no idea why....so far.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #982: Jan 16, 2011 09:12:29 pm

Thats exactly what I thought actually. But then I hate to say it, but the whole Spurs side looks very good. Really dominated that game.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #983: Jan 16, 2011 09:16:46 pm
      Heart effort and commitment improved big time. Passing improved a fair bit. Defending.....Kelly is our best at the minute and thats wrong. Johnson is a joke considering his stature and Ive given up on Skrtel. At faullt for both goals. He has a thread on here called something like "The martin Skrtel will kill you" thread. Fooking killing us is about all hes killing at present

Thought Spearing done a job today. Nothing that stands out but every time they had the ball who harrassed and chased, Spearing. He also kept the ball at times playing it simple when needed.

Hope to God under Kenny we improve our threats at corners because we are pathetic and have been for years

lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #984: Jan 16, 2011 09:24:55 pm
      Thats exactly what I thought actually. But then I hate to say it, but the whole Spurs side looks very good. Really dominated that game.

I dunno what will happen to spurs in the future. If they don't make top 4 I can see big clubs taking Bale and Modric then they will be back to square 1. When they got top 4 last season they should of spent big money to secure the spot. They've struggled with cl football and pl football. Anyway this year is vital for spurs. Either them or Chelsea will get that 4th spot , chelsea are favorites imo.

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #985: Jan 16, 2011 09:51:22 pm
      First of all just want to say that derby matches can be hard so a draw isn't the end of the world, the performance was on the whole pretty good and showed character.

But character like that has to be shown every single game, so it has to be present next Saturday at Wolves and then repeated every week. Next Saturday is the real test, we have let ourselves down after good performances loads since May '09.

Defending from set pieces is awful, really needs to be worked on. Skrtel has played welll in some games this season but also he has been a liability in others. Today he made two mistakes I think and it cost us two goals.

Kelly was fantastic, as was Torres. Spearing, Lucas and Meireles were pretty solid too.

And it was lovely to see men pouring forward trying to win the game, from the first to the last. We missed chances, Maxi's offside annoyed me, but at least we created them. But chance conversion has long been an issue with us so lets hope lessons are learned.

I must say I thought Kuyt was pretty dire today. I appreciate the penalty and the effort but he let bad touches ruin many attacks (the 'cross' from Johnson's neat chip towards the end is an example) and he really doesn't look the player he has been for us in the past this year.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #986: Jan 16, 2011 10:13:58 pm
      I'm still gutted we didn't win.  Everton created little.  The officials were poor too.  The emphasis on attack and closing down/pressing is clearly evident.  Our defending is poor.  Aside from Carra, I don't think we have a 'shouter/organiser' in our defence.  I trust Steve and Kenny to sort this out.  Fingers crossed.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #987: Jan 16, 2011 10:37:20 pm
      Heart effort and commitment improved big time. Passing improved a fair bit. Defending.....Kelly is our best at the minute and thats wrong.

Haven't seen the match yet but it's good to see opinions like this in regards to our effort and commitment.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #988: Jan 16, 2011 10:44:19 pm
      Think it was too high for him anyway but should Johnson have been behind the line like that when they scored their first?

Quick Reply