Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Torres
      (27.4%)
      Spearing
      (8.1%)
      Meireles
      (11.8%)
      Kelly
      (39.8%)
      Johnson
      (3.8%)
      Leiva
      (9.1%)

Liverpool 2-2 Everton: In game thread and post match discussion

Read 63248 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Everton: In game thread and post match discussion
      Reply #989: Jan 16, 2011 10:58:52 pm
      anybody got the links for the goals?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #990: Jan 16, 2011 11:24:47 pm
      Damm neither Goal should of stood. First wasn't a corner, second was a foul on Kelly. If Berbatov gets a pen for the slightest touch and Kelly doesn't for that. Haven't had greatest luck this season
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #991: Jan 16, 2011 11:41:40 pm
      Back in after a session after the match.

That ten minute period after half time fu**ed us today, went totally to sleep and the defending was F***ing awful. Kelly and Spearing were our best players which says a lot.

Take a draw, but we could of and should beaten them, Miereles looks less and less the player we thought he was, some poor passes going astray, getting the wrong side of Beckford and yet again looking weak in the tackle.

And from a personal point of view, I think the derby atmosphere is getting worse, seen it a few times now at both Anfield and Goodison, but there are less and less away fans in home ends, which from a personal point of view of attending derbies in the past is pretty sad.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #992: Jan 16, 2011 11:43:37 pm
      Can't really comment off the back of MOTD highlights, but it looked like we had a proper go in the first half.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #993: Jan 16, 2011 11:46:08 pm
      Can't really comment off the back of MOTD highlights, but it looked like we had a proper go in the first half.

All over them first half and then went to sleep straight after kick off and forgot everything we were doing right.

If anything thats whats pissed me off today watching us look slack and static in that second half.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #994: Jan 16, 2011 11:54:55 pm
      We badly need someone to organise the back four with Dagger. That change at half time had us all over the place for ten minutes. Terrible defending for the ' corner ' too.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #995: Jan 16, 2011 11:56:52 pm
      All over them first half and then went to sleep straight after kick off and forgot everything we were doing right.

If anything thats whats pissed me off today watching us look slack and static in that second half.

Pretty much what my ald fella said. Threw it away for being sloppy in defence.
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #996: Jan 16, 2011 11:57:53 pm
      i like kennys attacking tactics/formation but none of the 3 central midfielders have any genuine quality when we're on the attack, we would have smashed them today if we had gerrard :(
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,336 posts | 4962 
      Reply #997: Jan 16, 2011 11:58:43 pm

I was so up for the second half after the first where we were all over them as you say HR but the 10 - 15 minutes after the restart were awful and took us nearly the rest of the half to recover.

Second half we were poor but I was encouraged by the first half performance.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #998: Jan 17, 2011 12:02:13 am
      Pretty much what my ald fella said. Threw it away for being sloppy in defence.

Sad thing is we've seen it time and time again this season.

We badly need someone to organise the back four with Dagger. That change at half time had us all over the place for ten minutes. Terrible defending for the ' corner ' too.

I'd agree with that too, Skrtel and the greek just looked unsure were they should be playing.

And as for Danny, he needs to man the F**k up, he felt queasy, I wonder why that was, he back on the ale or worse.

One of the lads we met after the game was laughing his head of saying "I hope Danny's fingernail is ok"
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #999: Jan 17, 2011 12:02:54 am
      i like kennys attacking tactics/formation but none of the 3 central midfielders have any genuine quality when we're on the attack, we would have smashed them today if we had gerrard :(

I wholeheartedly think that we have 3 central midfielders who bring very little to what a Liverpool FC attack should be. But going from how Gerrard has played in recent times, I don't reckon we would have smashed them.

But, maybe we would of being a derby. We'll never know though. 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #1000: Jan 17, 2011 12:04:14 am
      Sad thing is we've seen it time and time again this season.

I'd agree with that too, Skrtel and the greek just looked unsure were they should be playing.

And as for Danny, he needs to man the F**k up, he felt queasy, I wonder why that was, he back on the ale or worse.

One of the lads we met after the game was laughing his head of saying "I hope Danny's fingernail is ok"

Indeed. And you're right about Agger as well.
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #1001: Jan 17, 2011 12:08:15 am
      I wholeheartedly think that we have 3 central midfielders who bring very little to what a Liverpool FC attack should be. But going from how Gerrard has played in recent times, I don't reckon we would have smashed them.

But, maybe we would of being a derby. We'll never know though. 
      Shelvey's distribution was excellent when he came on for the last 10 minutes. Hope he gets more game play because his display (if only for 10mins) was encouraging.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1002: Jan 17, 2011 12:09:23 am
      Dagger is unquestionably a fantastic centre back. I just question whether we can build a defense around a player that a spicy curry can rule out for a week. We need a centreback. Carra and Soto dont have long left in them and Skrtel's decline has been startling. Clearly he needs a quality partner beside him to tidy up after Skrtel over commits
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1003: Jan 17, 2011 03:26:30 am
      We had them on the canvas in the first half and our defence was caught napping immediately after half time.It was good though to see us play some decent football and the standout for me was Kelly.If we play the rest of our matches with the same determination as we played in the first half then we can only go one way and that is up.
      RedHon
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts |
      Reply #1004: Jan 17, 2011 04:04:25 am
      Shelvey's distribution was excellent when he came on for the last 10 minutes. Hope he gets more game play because his display (if only for 10mins) was encouraging.

I share the same view with you. I think he'll come well given more playing time.
      AussieAd
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #1005: Jan 17, 2011 05:14:51 am

I agree we need better organisation at the back. To me it looks like no one in the back four knew who was in charge - when Carra is there it is clear to all he is in charge (even watching a game from over here in Oz, when the camera zooms in on Jamie barking orders to get in position I leap off the couch and make sure I'm standing in line with the fridge and the cat..). Yesterday, none of the back 4 seemed to be playing the senior role - even coming out with the ball, we seemed nervous, with only Dagger showing regular confidence when close to our goal. Kelly was super further up the field, and while he looked clearly uncomfortable, I thought Johnson defended better at LB than I've ever seen him do at RB - after all the pre-match comments that Coleman would have a field say against him, I don't recall Coleman getting a single cross in?

Plenty of positives from the game though. The big difference (among many) from the Woy days was seeing Shelvey come on with clear instructions to have a go, rather than being told to not screw up. Would have been nice to see Pacheco given a late run for Maxi also - I would have liked those late chances to have fallen to anyone but Maxi really.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1006: Jan 17, 2011 05:37:46 am
      Normally we wouldn't have got draw after falling behind, so that's one positive to take from the game. We are starting to play better football now, and I think Kenny is starting to know what his best team is. I expect Shelvey to start more games now.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #1007: Jan 17, 2011 07:38:35 am
      Against Blackpool we managed to play outstanding football for the initial 20-25 mins then against Everton we played a superb game for the first half and then took our step off the gas so hopefully starting with next match we will last the full match.

However,our defence needs serious addressing.Earlier I though we had enough CBs in the team but I guess we should get rid of Skrtel now and bring in a decent CB especially since Carra and Skrtel aren't gonna last much.
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #1008: Jan 17, 2011 08:57:45 am
      Sitting in line with the general line of our back 4 yesterday (if you see what I mean) and Skrtl was constantly dropping deep by a yard and not moving up when he should. A good attacking team would have burst through yesterday because Skrt's would have played them onside. He needs to go back to the drawing board, he really has been poor all season. For Dustbin's goal he never even bothered to watch the ball, instead tried to just tug Dustbin's shirt. THat was p*ss poor that!

Definitely need another CB because even though Soto plays with heart and soul he's just too slow!
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #1009: Jan 17, 2011 09:00:38 am
      I was at the match yesterday and still can't believe we didn't win.
      We were far superior in the first half and should've been 3 up.

However for me the blame lies purely on Skrtel, AGAIN! Within sevens minutes of the re-start he loses Distin at the equaliser and then dives in on Beckford for there second. Shocking defending from a player who looks to be toiling big time. Anyone else that was there could tell you that was all over the place for the entire match not just for there goals.

You could feel the confidence disappear after Distin scored, but we fought back at least. Def an improvement under Kenny but we need to something drastic to stop conceding these hod awful goals, Everton only had four shots on target FFS!
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1010: Jan 17, 2011 09:30:37 am
      Looking at Rafael's yellow card yesterday, I am really pissed off.  Gerrard's tackle was not as bad as his as his foot was not as high and he was coming at the side, rather than straight on to the player.  To lose such a great player for Kenny's first three matches was a F***ing joke, but to see that little sh*t get away with something worse just rubs salt in the wound.  If we had Gerrard on the pitch, we'd have romped home against both Blackpool and Everton and would be sitting 7th on 31 points.  When is someone going to do something about the F***ing disgraceful standard of refereeing in the Premier League? It cost us the title two years ago, affected us badly last season and is hampering our fight back this year.  If Rafael was sent off, I wouldn't be as bothered about the red for Stevie but it really pissed me off - especially when the commentator said you don't want a red card to ruin such an important game, I flipped at that one.  Bad refereeing decisions rarely go in our favour - two yesterday (plus one last Sunday) cost us the game. 
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1011: Jan 17, 2011 09:32:47 am
      Sitting in line with the general line of our back 4 yesterday (if you see what I mean) and Skrtl was constantly dropping deep by a yard and not moving up when he should. A good attacking team would have burst through yesterday because Skrt's would have played them onside.

If you watched MOTD, Skrtel was consistently ahead of both Agger and Soto, his aggregate position was 5-10yds higher up the pitch.

Quick Reply