Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Away days/Lesser Teams - Much of the same, next term?

Read 3559 times
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Away days/Lesser Teams - Much of the same, next term?
      Jul 30, 2007 09:06:18 am
      I'm still not confident we are going to be effective on the road next season and against the teams we are supposed to beat.

Anyone else feeling this?

Just think the Chavs and Mancs have this self-belief that we are lacking...hopefully that will come!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Away days/Lesser Teams - Much of the same, next term?
      Reply #1: Jul 30, 2007 10:07:05 am
      The situation where we had problems last season was when teams put 10 men behind the ball and played for a draw. The signings made this summer have brought extra creativity to the side which should help us break such teams down, but I am still a little concerned about our ability to convert chances in games where opportunities will be limited. Hopefully Kuyt will step up to the plate this season but if he doesn't we could still struggle to win these games.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Jul 30, 2007 10:15:12 am
      I'm not at all looking forward to facing Aston Villa away. I still feel that we need at least one quality winger because Babel and Benayoun are not wingers.
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #3: Jul 30, 2007 10:18:13 am
      The situation where we had problems last season was when teams put 10 men behind the ball and played for a draw. The signings made this summer have brought extra creativity to the side which should help us break such teams down, but I am still a little concerned about our ability to convert chances in games where opportunities will be limited. Hopefully Kuyt will step up to the plate this season but if he doesn't we could still struggle to win these games.

Ed - don't you see something in the self-belief thing though?

Take a look at the Gooners...very similar to us on the road.  Having people behind the ball is the same for the Mancs and Chavs, but you just know they have this arrogance (well last season), to know the goals are coming.

I agree our squad is now better and that should sort this out...but...are you confident we'll pick up 3 points at Villa Park?  I'm not!
      I'm not at all looking forward to facing Aston Villa away. I still feel that we need at least one quality winger because Babel and Benayoun are not wingers.

Just mentioned that point Ra Ra...it's the Villa Park trips, I can see us dominating...and struggling to break through.

But who knows - being scepticle is good!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #4: Jul 30, 2007 10:21:10 am
      I don't think it was missed chances, I think it was us dominating the game but not creating any chances! I think we need to create more and with Pennant and Kewell we won't get very far. Pennant can only create from a cross and Kewell is well past it imo.

Quaresma would be a better shout, young, skillfull and quick!
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #5: Jul 30, 2007 10:23:54 am
      I don't think it was missed chances, I think it was us dominating the game but not creating any chances! I think we need to create more and with Pennant and Kewell we won't get very far. Pennant can only create from a cross and Kewell is well past it imo.

Quaresma would be a better shout, young, skillfull and quick!
      100% disagree with you on this!

Pennant is turning into a 'top-class' player - can you not see that????  Find that strange!

and Kewell looked promising against Pompy, and with his injuries behind him and full fitness - he could be the 'old-kewell' - who was world class!

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #6: Jul 30, 2007 10:35:21 am
      I had faith for Pennant but I belive he's no threat in on goal, he can only run up the touchline and put in a cross. His crossing is not all that, 9/10 are either too high with no curl. About one of his crosses are pin point but the rest go miles away or into the keepers hands.

He's a squad player, nothing else!
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #7: Jul 30, 2007 10:42:06 am
      I had faith for Pennant but I belive he's no threat in on goal, he can only run up the touchline and put in a cross. His crossing is not all that, 9/10 are either too high with no curl. About one of his crosses are pin point but the rest go miles away or into the keepers hands.

He's a squad player, nothing else!

Entitled to your opinion - but what you are saying is wrong!

Pennant comes inside a huge amount of time...and with more confidence he'll get more rewards.  His crossing is the best in the side and from watching the Pompy game...Rafa and his teamates think so also, as he's even taking the free-kicks.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #8: Jul 30, 2007 10:48:40 am
      Well we'll have to wait won't we!

Personally I still feel we need one quality winger at least because Kewell is utter pants. You can all back him if you want but when ever does he goes past a player with ease these days? Never!

Our problem last season wasn't finishing chances off, it was creating chances and we didn't do that much last season. Our centre midfield is like a rock, not very creative but it always dominated games against anyone. Our wingers were less creative and we still haven't bought any new wingers this summer.

So I ask this question... where is the creativity going to come from?
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #9: Jul 30, 2007 10:53:19 am
      Well we'll have to wait won't we!

Personally I still feel we need one quality winger at least because Kewell is utter pants. You can all back him if you want but when ever does he goes past a player with ease these days? Never!

Our problem last season wasn't finishing chances off, it was creating chances and we didn't do that much last season. Our centre midfield is like a rock, not very creative but it always dominated games against anyone. Our wingers were less creative and we still haven't bought any new wingers this summer.

So I ask this question... where is the creativity going to come from?
      I've already answered your question...Gerrard, Kewell, Pennant, Babel, Benayoun - these are the creative players.  Our problem is, who's going to stick it in the net!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #10: Jul 30, 2007 11:23:52 am
      I've already answered your question...Gerrard, Kewell, Pennant, Babel, Benayoun - these are the creative players.  Our problem is, who's going to stick it in the net!

Pennant - only creates from crosses, rarely creates
      Kewell - doest create many
      Babel - Is a striker
      Gerrard - Brilliant player but no creativity master like Aimar or Kaka
      Benayoun - He won't be a first teamer and is no world beater

You answer my questions with silly answers, come back when you realise what your saying!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #11: Jul 30, 2007 01:15:48 pm
      You can all back him if you want but when ever does he goes past a player with ease these days?

I think it was twice he went past Pompeys full back, and much more against the South China right back.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #12: Jul 30, 2007 01:31:46 pm
      I think it was twice he went past Pompeys full back, and much more against the South China right back.

WOW South China's right back!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #13: Jul 30, 2007 01:32:02 pm
      a have 2 say I agree. their is something that is worrying me but I cant quite point my finger at what it is. maybe it is the wingers but also I believe we need more full backs
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2007 01:34:48 pm by Semple »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #14: Jul 30, 2007 02:30:05 pm
      a have 2 say I agree. their is something that is worrying me but I cant quite point my finger at what it is. maybe it is the wingers but also I believe we need more full backs

Totally agree with you. People will fully back Finnan and Riise but I won't until they give us extra!

Finnan is getting old, he's a very good RB but I watch Eboue and he takes 2, 3 players on in one run and thats what we need our fullbacks to do. As for Riise I'm not keen on, I prefare Aurelio who can take players on and is just so much more aware and tallented!
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #15: Jul 30, 2007 02:42:51 pm
      Totally agree with you. People will fully back Finnan and Riise but I won't until they give us extra!

Finnan is getting old, he's a very good RB but I watch Eboue and he takes 2, 3 players on in one run and thats what we need our fullbacks to do. As for Riise I'm not keen on, I prefare Aurelio who can take players on and is just so much more aware and tallented!

Pass me the pills!

Ra Ra - who do you like?  You should support another side...who have players you do like!

You say Gerrard isn't creative - are you off yer ed?  What is he then?

I actually won't be replying to any of your posts/replies again - cause i believe you're on a wind-up and know nothing about footy!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #16: Jul 30, 2007 02:58:41 pm
      Pass me the pills!

Ra Ra - who do you like?  You should support another side...who have players you do like!

You say Gerrard isn't creative - are you off yer ed?  What is he then?

I actually won't be replying to any of your posts/replies again - cause I believe you're on a wind-up and know nothing about footy!

Gerrard is NOT a creative midfielder, he is a box to box midfielder. He can score goals from no where but he's NOT a creative midfielder.

Creative midfielders = Aimar, Riquelme, Zizou, Kaka... got the idea now?

Don't reply to my posts then, I won't lose no sleep about it!
      ONTHEWING
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #17: Jul 30, 2007 03:11:20 pm
      Ra Ra have you actually watched Liverpool play?  ???

Gerrard is more than a one trick pony! Yeah he has the talent and vision to send an acurate pass 40 yds, but he's also got the talent to make things happen in the midfield........ go to the shops, buy the Istanbul DVD, watch Gerrards performance in the 2nd half  - he puts in similar performances week after week!!!
      Finnan1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #18: Jul 30, 2007 03:37:15 pm
      Ra Ra Rafa who would be your starting 11?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #19: Jul 30, 2007 03:40:11 pm
      This thread is losing it's way.

:ontopic:
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #20: Jul 30, 2007 03:51:15 pm
      Ra Ra Rafa who would be your starting 11?

On the current squad

-----------------Reina
      ------Finnan Carra Agger Aurelio
      ----Pennant Gerrard Masch Babel
      --------------Kuyt Torres

However I still feel that Kuyt & Pennant are not good enough for a Liverpool first XI and should be replaced with Quaresma and some other striker. Maybe move Babel up front with Torres and buy two new wingers, then a new RB/WGB is needed next season as Finnan is getting on a bit.. maybe Alves
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #21: Jul 30, 2007 04:05:49 pm
      Redkenny - i agree!

Finnan1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #22: Jul 30, 2007 04:35:59 pm
      I don't agree this thread is based on the "next term and Ra Ra had opinions on the squad and it's members I was just curious as to who he has faith in so I asked is this gonna be one of these forums where people pounce on you for asking a simple question that requests merely one reply? Cause I asked one count them one question and 2 of you seem to have taken issue with it.
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #23: Jul 30, 2007 05:00:40 pm
      I don't agree this thread is based on the "next term and Ra Ra had opinions on the squad and it's members I was just curious as to who he has faith in so I asked is this gonna be one of these forums where people pounce on you for asking a simple question that requests merely one reply? Cause I asked one count them one question and 2 of you seem to have taken issue with it.

It's Ra Ra who's moved this post in a new direction...not you!

He's should do a post called 'My reasons for the hatred of the current Liverpool side'  Or 'My love for Liverpool - just wished they'd change all the players'!

My post wasn't about the squad as much - more about the mental block/self-belief away from home and against the lesser teams.

Qualities we need to win the league.

It was originally blamed on the spanish armada not liking to travel to the Craven Cottages, Fratton Parks and Reebok ect ect - but that cannot be an excuse now.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #24: Jul 30, 2007 05:12:18 pm
      Is criticism not aloud anymore? Ok, if all our players play sh*t from now on I'll say that they are world class players and deserve to start everygame for a team like Liverpool.

Richobaz, I've got opinions, you ain't! You like to go with the flow, your fake, get lost!
      sell73out
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #25: Jul 30, 2007 05:20:25 pm

As usual, Eddie gets in there and posts exactlly what I wanted to say!
      My only doubts at the moment stem from the Portsmouth game last week - However, it WAS a friendly and quite a few of the players were visibly taking it easy - If we can get the players into form and hit the season with a running start then I don't forsee there being any problems in the 'lesser' games. We were all over Portsmouth last week, without really trying too hard, and I would put Fratton Park into the bogey ground catagory - as long as we score, we'll be ok, and with the new signings I don't see that being as big a problem as last year.
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #26: Jul 30, 2007 06:25:37 pm
      As usual, Eddie gets in there and posts exactlly what I wanted to say!
      My only doubts at the moment stem from the Portsmouth game last week - However, it WAS a friendly and quite a few of the players were visibly taking it easy - If we can get the players into form and hit the season with a running start then I don't forsee there being any problems in the 'lesser' games. We were all over Portsmouth last week, without really trying too hard, and I would put Fratton Park into the bogey ground catagory - as long as we score, we'll be ok, and with the new signings I don't see that being as big a problem as last year.
      The game wasn't at Fratton Park though!

People keep mentioning it was a friendly...and I agree, the result doesn't mean a thing...but if you're a Liverpool player going into a season where your place is not guaranteed...you give 100% (even if not fully fit).

The game doesn't mean a thing - but the outcome was all to familiar and that's what we need to change!
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #27: Jul 30, 2007 06:28:42 pm
      All about Torres performing to the best he can. if he does he wil rip lesser teams apart

Quick Reply