Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Do we have a great captain?

Read 12298 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Re: Do we have a great captain?
      Reply #115: Jan 22, 2011 12:25:13 pm
      I think Emlyn is a very similar player to Stevie except his enthusiasm shone through and his personality was very bubbly.
      Stevie is an introvert but when you listen to players talk about him there is genuine warmth there for him.I heard Lucas talk about how well he looked after him after he arrived and that he always had time to talk to him if he had any problems.Captains role isnt always about the time on the pitch Stevie clearly takes this role very seriously and is a proud Captain and on refelction when you think about how he celebrates a win or a goal its clear just how deeply he feels for this club.I doubt Souness had the approachability off the pitch Stevie has so maybe taking All things into account he does have the right to be called a great Captain.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #116: Jan 22, 2011 12:32:12 pm
      Very good or great, he's our Captain and we should all appreciate what he has done for us over the years, both as player and captain. I can't believe some of the sh*t spouted by a couple of posters on here.   
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #117: Jan 22, 2011 06:39:50 pm
      With Emlyn what you saw was what you got.

The man wore his heart on his sleeve in everything he did for the club he loved.

The spirit of Crazy Horse still lives on.
      danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #118: Jan 23, 2011 09:20:45 pm
      Yes. We do have a great captain and a great player in Steven Gerrard. We haven't had a great team in recent seasons, and shifting an armband around wouldn't have done anything for it.

Our/one of our most productive players even at the worst of times.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #119: Jan 23, 2011 09:24:21 pm
      I think Gerrard is not a great captain,
      you must have thought long and hard on your first post.
      danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #120: Jan 23, 2011 09:33:24 pm
      I think Emlyn is a very similar player to Stevie except his enthusiasm shone through and his personality was very bubbly.
      Stevie is an introvert but when you listen to players talk about him there is genuine warmth there for him.I heard Lucas talk about how well he looked after him after he arrived and that he always had time to talk to him if he had any problems.Captains role isnt always about the time on the pitch Stevie clearly takes this role very seriously and is a proud Captain and on refelction when you think about how he celebrates a win or a goal its clear just how deeply he feels for this club.I doubt Souness had the approachability off the pitch Stevie has so maybe taking All things into account he does have the right to be called a great Captain.
      He does come across like that in interviews (introverted), but I'd put some of it down to nerves in front of the cameras.

The affable Steven Gerrard playing golf with James Corden:

James Corden and Steven Gerrard Playing Golf
      « Last Edit: Jan 23, 2011 09:41:11 pm by danwarb »
      lfcgirl9
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      • In King Kenny We Trust.
      Reply #121: Jan 23, 2011 09:33:34 pm
      If the job of the captain ISN'T to smash in the winner against Olympiacos from 25 yards when we are within 90 seconds or something of going out of the Champions League, then Gerrard is no good at it. If it ISN'T to score the goal that gave us belief in the final when we were 3-0 down, before then winning the penalty which brought us back to 2-3 and single handedly turning the game on its head, then Gerrard isn't very good at it either. If it ISN'T to score a fantastic volley when we are 2-0 down in the Cup final, before scoring one of the best goals ever seen in the showpiece in the same match when we are 2-3 down with 15 seconds left, smashing it in from 35 yards out (before like in the Champions League final scoring from the spot too), then Gerrard isn't a good captain no.

If the captains job ISN'T to drag us out of the s*** singlehandedly time after time after time after time, then Gerrard is useless at it. Some of our fans will never appreciate him until he doesn't play for us any more. When he doesn't, if they've got a clue they'll realise he is one of the best players to ever pulkl on the shirt, even quite possibly THE best.

^^^^ This ^^^^

For me he isn't only a lead by example captain either, his vocal enough for me. Heard players talking about how Stevie has helped them both on and off the field. He gets the people around him playing even when there heads are down, what more could you ask for. I wouldn't want anyone else anyway.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #122: Jan 24, 2011 12:27:24 pm
      If you ever listen to any of the players talk about him they do so in the highest possible terms.and to be fair I cant remember Souness chinning a Manc.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #123: Jan 25, 2011 12:48:48 am
      think stevie has the ability to turn a game on its head no doubt about that. but with the amount of games he has had in his career is beggining to take its toll. cant see him being another ryan giggs quite frankly. 
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #124: Jan 25, 2011 12:59:35 am
      No,we have a great player.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #125: Jan 25, 2011 10:52:39 pm
      cant see him being another ryan giggs quite frankly. 
      Quite frankly i wouldn,t want him to be another Giggs ,just be Stevie g that will do for me, and yes he is a great captain , has had a few bad points i know , but when the team needed dragging up he has done it on numerous occasions , and i feel with Kenny coming in we will see Stevie playing once more with a smile on his face.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #126: Jan 25, 2011 11:44:48 pm
      I dont doubt his resolve. Gerrard bleeds Liverpool and its History.

However, at times I think he lacks some of the fire needed to bring his teammates up. It could be his personality, he is a bit shy and reserved. He wears dejection on his sleeve. When the team plays bad he takes it personally and it really shows. Some matches he looks completely depressed.

But his skill on the pitch and his ability to turn a match around is beyond great. So, I dont know. For now he should remain Captain and lets see what happens with Daglish on the bench and see if Gerrard can lead us back into top form.

Quick Reply