Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Do we have a great captain?

Read 12439 times
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Re: Do we have a great captain?
      Reply #23: Jan 18, 2011 10:14:07 am
      stevie's been a fantastic leader for years. it's only in the past 2 seasons his head has gone down a little and he's gone quiet, that's understandable given the turmoil going on.

but don't forget the previous 6 seasons where he was an inspirational leader. some say he leads by example but he used to be more vocal i remember. without doubt one of the best captains we've ever had imo.

apart from that, sami was fantastic and alonso was a great captain that never was. different types of leaders to stevie.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #24: Jan 18, 2011 12:30:14 pm
      stevie's been a fantastic leader for years. it's only in the past 2 seasons his head has gone down a little and he's gone quiet, that's understandable given the turmoil going on.

but don't forget the previous 6 seasons where he was an inspirational leader. some say he leads by example but he used to be more vocal I remember. without doubt one of the best captains we've ever had imo.

apart from that, sami was fantastic and alonso was a great captain that never was. different types of leaders to stevie.

This.

In fairness...Istanbul was in no small part due to Stevie's leadership! Morale is low all over the pitch and I know its Stevie's job to keep heads up...but considering the events of the last year..its bound to be tough! Hopefully Stevie will get his second wind and lead us to a League title soon!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #25: Jan 18, 2011 02:54:03 pm
      Stevie hasnt played in a team full of class we have always been at least a couple of players short and now even more than a couple.
      He drags the team along by his own efforts rather than getting players to improve their own performances. I am not sure the Captains's role is as important as it used to be. The Captain cant make a crunching tackle to get his team lifted as it would result in a red card now so its difficult for a Captain to do much other than play well hmself.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #26: Jan 18, 2011 03:21:00 pm
      I think how a captain acts on a daily basis at the club with his teammates is more important than the stuff we see on the field during the game. Hard to judge for me how he's doing. Reina does seem like a more natural leader and motivator to me however.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #27: Jan 18, 2011 03:27:01 pm
      Gerrard is a top captain.

There are different types of captains. Gerrard is the type that inspires people around him with his fight, spirit and never say die attitude.

You look at the main moments from Gerrard over the years, where he has grabbed games by the scruff of the neck and dragged us back into them when we looked all but out.

If thats not being a good captain then what is? And he is vocal enough. He lets people know if a pass is not good enough or if they need to lift the tempo and performance.

Spot on. Can't believe there are Reds questioning his leadership qualities!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #28: Jan 18, 2011 07:39:59 pm
      Spot on. Can't believe there are Reds questioning his leadership qualities!!

Can I just question his music choices then? ;)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #29: Jan 18, 2011 08:18:22 pm
      Seems some people have very short memories. Gerrard is an excellent captain and you'll see him driving us forward again when he returns.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #30: Jan 18, 2011 08:27:50 pm
      Gerrard is a player who motivates with his play, Carra is to agresive, Pepe for me, although Kelly may be one for the future.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #31: Jan 18, 2011 08:33:47 pm
      YES.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #32: Jan 18, 2011 08:35:07 pm
      Seems some people have very short memories. Gerrard is an excellent captain and you'll see him driving us forward again when he returns.

Nuff said
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #33: Jan 18, 2011 08:53:32 pm
      I never thought Gerrard was the right man for Captain, Carra was my first choice and now neither are because of the last few years when we have seen players split into taking sides about the manager. We all now know that both Carra and Gerrard were partly responsible along with others for the dismissal of Rafa and then they backed Hodgson for a job that was to big for him, I still wonder what both were hoping to achieve by getting shot of a guy who brought people into the club like Borrell and the other youth coaches, brought Kenny back and set up the club to go on long after he left. That to me makes him wrong for the captaincy and it also makes him a dividing figure and not a healing force, which at this time we need.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #34: Jan 18, 2011 09:11:21 pm
      I never thought Gerrard was the right man for Captain, Carra was my first choice and now neither are because of the last few years when we have seen players split into taking sides about the manager. We all now know that both Carra and Gerrard were partly responsible along with others for the dismissal of Rafa and then they backed Hodgson for a job that was to big for him, I still wonder what both were hoping to achieve by getting shot of a guy who brought people into the club like Borrell and the other youth coaches, brought Kenny back and set up the club to go on long after he left. That to me makes him wrong for the captaincy and it also makes him a dividing figure and not a healing force, which at this time we need.
      Well said!.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #35: Jan 18, 2011 09:32:03 pm
      I think you need a reality check mate either that your a wum, so Gerrards a dividing figure, he instigated Rafa's demise i think your talking out your arse, are you a Manc in disguise? FF'S, you might just want to have a wee look back over the last 10 years and see our captains contributions and his committment to our club.

To answer the title of the thread,

If it aint broke dont fix it, Gerrard has and still is a great captain, how many times has he dragged us from the brink, eg; Istanbul '05' a prime example, or the ''what a hit son, what a hit'' same season same comp, he may not be the most vocal on the pitch but he sure as F**k knows how to set a example of what we fans expect from our players, if Stevie G thought for one minute he was not right for the captaincy he would do the honourable and pass it on, lets not forget his committment to this club, his dedication, he could have fu**ed off to the Chavs a few years back but he decided to stay, why, because deep down he could'nt turn his back on his own, and after a few years those who he stayed loyal to are questioning whether he is good enough to remain as captain, whatever happened to the true loyal Liverpool fan, a dying breed it seems, sometimes i despair i really do.

gazza31
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #36: Jan 18, 2011 09:38:07 pm
      Billy think you need to look a little deeper, a captain doesn't just win you games, if that's the case Torres would be the man. Same as a captain just doesn't shout insults when you f**k up as Carra would step forward. A captain is an enigma someone who encourages as well a drives you forward.

Don't get me wrong the scum don't have it at present. But neither do we IMO and we need a leader on the pitch. 

Oh and as the if it ain't broke don't fix it comment feck we need fixing fella and soon.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #37: Jan 18, 2011 09:39:17 pm
      simple YES
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #38: Jan 18, 2011 09:52:27 pm
      Billy think you need to look a little deeper, a captain doesn't just win you games, if that's the case Torres would be the man. Same as a captain just doesn't shout insults when you f**k up as Carra would step forward. A captain is an enigma someone who encourages as well a drives you forward.

Don't get me wrong the scum don't have it at present. But neither do we IMO and we need a leader on the pitch. 

Oh and as the if it ain't broke don't fix it comment feck we need fixing fella and soon.
      Its true that a captain just does'nt win you games, but if your looking for someone as you say an enigma someone who encourages, thats fine, who else is at the club capable of giving that, apart from Carra there's not to many at the front of the queue, Agger is not reliable enough( too many injuries) Pepe, not for me, he is to far away from play, Torres, not sure he would want to or have the influence, Kelly yeah probably in the future, the rest you can forget, Stevie is the best man for the job, no doubt, and yea we do need fixing and we will be fixed, in time but changing your captain  because people think he's lost his influence or his ability to heal(whatever that means) will not help, i would be interested to know who would possibly be a better influence.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #39: Jan 18, 2011 09:52:49 pm
      Good shout I forgot about Alonso
      Saw alonso against villa in the 5-0 at anfield and although stevie scored a hat trick , alonso just completely bossed the game allowing steve to hurt the opposition. Honestly one of the best i have seen going back even to the eighties.
      Alonso what a player.
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #40: Jan 18, 2011 10:08:49 pm
      I've always thought Gerrard was given the job because he was the best player not the best person. That said, couldn't tell you who would be an alternative. The obvious one is Carra. I'm not too keen on a keeper being captain. Agger is a good candidate should it come up for grabs. However, can't say Gerrard has done a bad job overall. Providing Kelly keeps improving he's going to be the man.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #41: Jan 19, 2011 08:43:33 am
      Carra is a captain without the armband.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #42: Jan 19, 2011 09:15:08 am
      I think you need a reality check mate either that your a wum, so Gerrards a dividing figure, he instigated Rafa's demise I think your talking out your arse, are you a Manc in disguise? FF'S, you might just want to have a wee look back over the last 10 years and see our captains contributions and his committment to our club.

If it aint broke dont fix it, Gerrard has and still is a great captain, how many times has he dragged us from the brink, eg; Istanbul '05' a prime example, or the ''what a hit son, what a hit'' same season same comp, he may not be the most vocal on the pitch but he sure as f**k knows how to set a example of what we fans expect from our players, if Stevie G thought for one minute he was not right for the captaincy he would do the honourable and pass it on, lets not forget his committment to this club, his dedication, he could have fu**ed off to the Chavs a few years back but he decided to stay, why, because deep down he could'nt turn his back on his own, and after a few years those who he stayed loyal to are questioning whether he is good enough to remain as captain, whatever happened to the true loyal Liverpool fan, a dying breed it seems, sometimes I despair I really do.

With you on this one ,how can anyone question gerrards commitment and leader on a pitch,if he isnt captain material who is?.Dont agree with pepe as a keeper isnt as involved on the pitch as say midfielders/c/halfs are .
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #43: Jan 19, 2011 09:29:58 am
      What makes a 'great' captain?

Well, for me, it's someone who not only leads by example but has time to both cajole and encourage others (in equal measures) on the pitch. As much as some players may need reminding of their duties, some also just need encouragement, a pat on the back or praise.

Stevie, undoubtedly, leads by example - he's got that quality in spades and often that has been enough. In my opinion, however, he's left wanting in other areas.

He has let his head drop and remained quiet when those around him weren't performing. Whilst I can understand this reaction and share in his frustration; it's not the reaction one expects of a 'great' captain.

I can't be the only one who has noticed too, Stevie seems to have favourites. Just check out and compare his celebrations when Nando scores compared with Ngog, for example.

Stevie has been a great player (the best for a long time) and a very good captain but not a 'great' captain. I actually subscribe to the theory that we'd get even more from an already great footballer if he didn't have the added 'burden' of captaincy.

The thing is tho': who else is there? Pepe is the prime candidate but i'm not sold on the idea that a goal keeper can be as influential (on field) as what would be required. Carragher has got the 'verbals' to chasten and organise but little else. Lucas is first to the fray, first to protect and first to congratulate but his actual play just doesn't tick the 'lead by example' box (in my opinion).

Maybe it's a case of needing leaders to 'step up' all over the pitch - until such times anyhow.  :-\
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011 01:37:13 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #44: Jan 19, 2011 10:38:11 am
      What kind of a question is that?!? If some football club has a "great" captain, that is us. How could you even put that into consideration is beyond me. Really do not feel like telling about all the times he has single handedly lifted the team and won us the match. Stevie IS Liverpool for so many people.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #45: Jan 19, 2011 11:29:26 am
      I think you need a reality check mate either that your a wum, so Gerrards a dividing figure, he instigated Rafa's demise I think your talking out your arse, are you a Manc in disguise? FF'S, you might just want to have a wee look back over the last 10 years and see our captains contributions and his committment to our club.

If it aint broke dont fix it, Gerrard has and still is a great captain, how many times has he dragged us from the brink, eg; Istanbul '05' a prime example, or the ''what a hit son, what a hit'' same season same comp, he may not be the most vocal on the pitch but he sure as f**k knows how to set a example of what we fans expect from our players, if Stevie G thought for one minute he was not right for the captaincy he would do the honourable and pass it on, lets not forget his committment to this club, his dedication, he could have fu**ed off to the Chavs a few years back but he decided to stay, why, because deep down he could'nt turn his back on his own, and after a few years those who he stayed loyal to are questioning whether he is good enough to remain as captain, whatever happened to the true loyal Liverpool fan, a dying breed it seems, sometimes I despair I really do.

Best post I've read since I've been on here.

Quick Reply