Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Do we have a great captain?

Read 12404 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Do we have a great captain?
      Reply #92: Jan 21, 2011 01:29:21 pm
      Yeah I think that is the overall sentiment saint .
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #93: Jan 21, 2011 01:30:09 pm
      Just to make it clear, I also think Gerrard is the best option for Captain at the moment by a long way.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #94: Jan 21, 2011 01:34:29 pm
      Just to make it clear, I also think Gerrard is the best option for Captain at the moment by a long way.

Again - no argument here.
      The thing is tho': who else is there?
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011 01:43:36 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #95: Jan 21, 2011 04:06:42 pm
      Nah mate. What follows is that we use more than one criteria when assessing what makes a great captain. Something I have done - something you have not. It would only be the case if I applied your shitty criteria but I don't.

If we used your only criteria; that a great captain ("takes the game by the scruff of the kneck and wins it for his team") it would be true that neither Keane nor Souness were great captains when they failed to do so. Your criteria not mine. Your words not mine.

Do you really believe that we are all stupid mick? Sadly, it certainly seems to be the case.

Now do me a favour quit being naughty and quit trying to twist my words. It won't wash.

" Captains must by their words, endeavours, demeanour etc etc inspire those around them to achieve more than they thought capable. The Roy Keanes, the Tony Adams', the John Terry's and the Graeme Sounness's did it their way, and Gerrard does it his way. Gerrards way is to take the game by the scruff of the kneck and win it for his team, not to jump up and down and berate people. "

There isn't an "only" criteria in terms of methodology, that is precisely the point as I've stated above. Captains do it in their own way, some berate, some demonstrate, some DO. The important thing is for a captain to inspire the team he plays for to achievements beyond the collective sum of its parts, for my money Gerrard does on many occasions. Nobody does it on every occasion, nobody ever has, but Gerrard does an excellent job in my opinion.

Gerrard is never going to be a Keane or a Sounness or an Adams, but he is a very good captain IMHO. 

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #96: Jan 21, 2011 04:24:26 pm
      If Gerrard was like those captains mentioned and worrying about roaring at other people, it may have taken away from him inspiring them to victories after late equalisers, etc.

There are different types of captains and Stevie is a great captain!!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,789 posts | 7188 
      Reply #97: Jan 21, 2011 04:25:18 pm
      For reasons which are not clear to me there are times when a lot of the team just want to give  him the ball and stand back and watch him win the game which he has done many times .I just wish when that happens he would get stuck into them and demand a bit more from them.But when you have single handedly won two trophies with your efforts you have earned the right to be called a good Captain and a fantastic player.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #98: Jan 21, 2011 06:02:54 pm
      Hes a great captain, no doubt in my mind. An inspirational figure, a man who leads by example.

The problem is those around him have become dependent upon him to win the games for them.

Not always possible.

We have had better captains I think, but then again we have been spoiled completely in the past.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #99: Jan 21, 2011 06:51:29 pm
      Gerrard is never going to be a Keane or a Sounness or an Adams, but he is a very good captain IMHO.

Funnily enough that's exactly what I 'said' but just in case you missed it the other two times; here it is again:

. ...Stevie has been a great player (the best for a long time) and a very good captain but not a 'great' captain.

. ..and this bit . ...

Captains must by their words, endeavours, demeanour etc etc inspire those around them to achieve more than they thought capable.
      reads remarkably like this:

What makes a 'great' captain?

Well, for me, it's someone who not only leads by example but has time to both cajole and encourage others (in equal measures) on the pitch.

You did read my initial post mick, didn't you? I mean you didn't just read the username and thought you'd dismiss the post without giving it any heed.  :-\

As you  'say' a very good captain.

Can you feel the love in this room tonight folks?  ;D

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,789 posts | 7188 
      Reply #100: Jan 21, 2011 07:09:56 pm
      Hes a great captain, no doubt in my mind. An inspirational figure, a man who leads by example.

The problem is those around him have become dependent upon him to win the games for them.

Not always possible.

We have had better captains I think, but then again we have been spoiled completely in the past.
      agree to some extent lets see if our new owners can put a decent team around him now for the last few years and get him that EPL medal he so dearly wants.
      powergerrard
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      Reply #101: Jan 21, 2011 07:34:28 pm
      This is the most retarded thread I have ever come accross....You must have a very short memory....Can he grab the game at the scruff of the neck?? In all fairness man, Istambul, Cardiff, Countless derby games and numerous League games sticking with us thick and thin when all the best clubs in the world were in for him! The man is a Legend!

And we need another leader to take us forward is nonscence, the day Stevie is sitting in the stands while some other clown is leading us out against Utd or Everton will be a dark day for our club. The difference with other previous Captains at the club is maybe they had better players around them.

I think it has been a privilege to watch Gerrard in the last decade, the greatest player to ever play for this club
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #102: Jan 21, 2011 07:38:10 pm
      This is the most retarded thread I have ever come accross....You must have a very short memory....Can he grab the game at the scruff of the neck?? In all fairness man, Istambul

Brilliant.  :lmao:
      gazza31
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #103: Jan 21, 2011 07:49:44 pm

The greatest player ever to play for this club did it for me :lmao: :lmao:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #104: Jan 21, 2011 08:07:19 pm

I honestly don't see whats so funny about that mate. He may not be the greatest player ever to play for us in my opinion, but he's not far off. Now if he had said Poulsen I would have joined you rolling on the floor...... in a non sexual way
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011 09:09:14 pm by s@int »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,217 posts | 3392 
      Reply #105: Jan 22, 2011 12:09:08 am
      The difference with other previous Captains at the club is maybe they had better players around them.

Which has both it's good and bad points. Better players usually have bigger egos, what those captains had was managers who kept players feet on the ground. They didn't allow egos to run the dressing room.

Previous captains did have better players around them, which takes a better captain to lead them. I'm not knocking Stevie as a captain, I think he's been a great captain for the club over the past seven or eight years, but I don't think having better players around previous captains has made them better. Surely it's harder to stand out as the captain in a team full of better players than a sh*t side?
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #106: Jan 22, 2011 12:16:46 am
      Hes certainly up there mate.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #107: Jan 22, 2011 01:51:38 am
      jesus...

so many starry eyed people.

The greatest to ever play for us???

Nowhere F***ing near.

And nowhere near a good enough captain.

Super player - sh*t skipper.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #108: Jan 22, 2011 01:53:10 am
      jesus...

so many starry eyed people.

The greatest to ever play for us???

Nowhere f**king near.

And nowhere near a good enough captain.

Super player - sh*t skipper.

Oh dear.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #109: Jan 22, 2011 02:17:31 am

run along now.

You're not getting a bite here, you xenophobic fuckwit.
      Warned
      run along now.

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011 01:00:17 pm by JD »
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #110: Jan 22, 2011 04:08:08 am
      run along now.

Kenny your the fuckwit for calling Gerrard a sh*t skipper.

And I think he is the greatest player we have ever had. Would the other greats have been as good or carried a team for the best part of a decade on their own like Stevie. I'm not sure.

The players in the 70's and 80's had great players around them. Gerrard has not had that and still he is up there with the very best.

So f**k off with your Gerrard is a sh*t skipper and not near being our top player!!!
      Warned
      Kenny your the fuckwit for calling Gerrard a sh*t skipper.
      « Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011 01:00:38 pm by JD »
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #111: Jan 22, 2011 04:14:00 am
      Would the other greats have been as good or carried a team for the best part of a decade on their own like Stevie.

carried club + county
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #112: Jan 22, 2011 04:16:56 am
      County :P
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #113: Jan 22, 2011 04:52:26 am
      Nowhere near our best player ever? I'm all for opinions but to say Gerrard is nowhere near is a little bit much. He is certainly a top 5 player, and has carried the squad for a decade of football where we won every trophy but the League. That is the only "blemish" on his CV in my eyes.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #114: Jan 22, 2011 11:46:50 am
      run along now.

Out of order with the xenophobic, I think you are using it almost as a backhand accusation of racism. Disgusting really and completely without any substance whatsoever.

On the question of Gerrard and how good he is comparatively, I think he's up there. The best players I've seen in a Liverpool shirt are Sounness, Dalglish, Hansen, Barnes, Gerrard, Torres and Fowler. I've no doubt forgotten a couple, but they are the ones off the top of my head.

Kenny is widely accepted as being the best ever to wear the shirt, and for me it would be between him and Gerrard for the honour.   

Quick Reply