Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Our Second Choice Keeper ?

Read 5155 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,042 posts | 3352 
      Re: Our Second Choice Keeper ?
      Reply #23: Jan 17, 2011 01:07:42 am
      I don't really care as long as he's not blind, has two arms and can catch a ball.

Rules out a return for David James then. ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Jan 17, 2011 02:44:00 am
      Jones was a needless signing. More blinded short term signings
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25: Jan 17, 2011 05:54:34 am
      You're never going to get a world class keeper to sit on the bench. Our second choice keeper will need to have the Patience of a saint to wait for his chance. As long as Pepe is fit, doesn't matter who our second choice is!
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #26: Jan 17, 2011 07:02:24 am
      I think Brad Jones was signed was because he was classified as Home Grown having joined Boro as a teen. However, not sure if we needed to because I think Peter Gulacsi should also be classified as Home Grown already.

Because we need 8 Home Grown players, we have Jones, Gerrard, Carragher, Konchesky, Johnson, Darby, Spearing and Cole. Wouldn't have worked if we had Cavalieri and no Konchesky.

Actually I'm not sure at all. We probably just need a 2nd goalkeeper who is just good enough. Having such a quality one will be wasteful.

Agreed, look at Shay Given and Joe Hart. Can't have 2 class keepers and one benchwarming.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #27: Jan 17, 2011 09:22:38 am
      We don't really need Jones long-term as we have good young keepers there.  However, what if we sell Jones and Pepe were to get injured against Stoke on Feb. 2nd?  Who would feel confident (particularly with our defensive frailty) to have Gulasci in goal against Chelsea?  Didn't think so.

Loan out two of our young keepers (Gulasci / Hansen / Bouzanis) and let them gain experience.  When they come back to the club as better players we won't need Jones, but until that time, he is a good back-up keeper.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Jan 19, 2011 11:33:39 pm
      Does it really matter who our 2nd choice is? At the end of the day Pepe is going to be here for a long time yet and nobody will ever be able to displace him and he doesn't get injured thank god! We have had a fair few 2nd choice keepers and they have all ended up leaving. i say get rid of Jones and just have a youngster there learning from Pepe.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #29: Jan 24, 2011 03:14:16 pm
      I don't understand why we let Charles Itandje go? He was boss  :f_tongueincheek:
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #30: Jan 24, 2011 03:57:42 pm
      I think Brad Jones was signed was because he was classified as Home Grown having joined Boro as a teen. However, not sure if we needed to because I think Peter Gulacsi should also be classified as Home Grown already.

Because we need 8 Home Grown players, we have Jones, Gerrard, Carragher, Konchesky, Johnson, Darby, Spearing and Cole. Wouldn't have worked if we had Cavalieri and no Konchesky.

Actually I'm not sure at all. We probably just need a 2nd goalkeeper who is just good enough. Having such a quality one will be wasteful.

Isnt Darby gone out on loan? does he still count as oneof our home grown players?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5011 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #31: Jan 24, 2011 08:06:20 pm
      Just like the outfield players we need a quality keeper to step in 'just incase', having a rookie as backup is f***in ridiculous and not very professional, if Pepe were to pick up a injury, god forbid, we need someone who wiil be confident and not flap all over the place, if he has to warm the bench every game of the season so be it, i would rather do that than work in a office or a factory for a piss poor wage, would nt you ? Keepers are f***in mad anyway in general, so who cares?

Quick Reply