Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

What to do with Stevie G?

Read 12276 times
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Re: What to do with Stevie G?
      Reply #92: Jan 31, 2011 07:54:51 pm
      With it looking like we have a partnership upfront and not likely a rotating front man, where does that leave Stevie G.

A fellow red a couple of weeks ago pointed out Stevie's weaknesses in a 442 at centre mid, and as it seems we aren't signing a defensive midfield player how would we use one of the most effective attacking midfielders in the league?
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #93: Jan 31, 2011 09:23:45 pm
      With it looking like we have a partnership upfront and not likely a rotating front man, where does that leave Stevie G.

A fellow red a couple of weeks ago pointed out Stevie's weaknesses in a 442 at centre mid, and as it seems we aren't signing a defensive midfield player how would we use one of the most effective attacking midfielders in the league?

4-3-1-2? just a though
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #94: Feb 01, 2011 02:41:52 am
      Play like Lampard does :O for chelsea... in a 4-3-3

Reina
      Kelly       Agger       Skrtel        Johnson

Lucas
                  Gerrard         Mereiless

Maxi/Cole/ Kuyt                     Suarez
                            Carroll

YNWA
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #95: Feb 01, 2011 04:37:21 am
      Play like Lampard does :O for chelsea... in a 4-3-3

Reina

Lucas
                  Gerrard         Mereiless

Maxi/Cole/ Kuyt                     Suarez
                            Carroll

YNWA

That's what I'd pick. Our team doesnt seems to fit any other formation anymore. 4-3-3 puts everyone in there best positions.

We still need to get another 4 or 5 more players IMO.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #96: Feb 01, 2011 05:20:41 am
      Think Stevie should be given a chance on the right in a 4-3-3. Kenny has shown he likes an anchor man, and Poulsen fits that much more then Lucas. If Poulsen continues to have decent games, he's going to get played. Gerrard on the right could be very nice.
      Raige
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #97: Feb 01, 2011 06:59:58 am

Reina

Poulson?
                  Lucas                 Mereiless

Gerrard                 Suarez
                            Carroll

I would like to see us try something like this, Poulson although I don't rate him but Kenny seems to be willing to give him a chance and I just feel that we need to push Gerrard up as far as possible, he is at his best when he attacks and doesn't have to worry too much about defense.
      danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #98: Feb 01, 2011 07:15:35 am
      I'm expecting Gerrard to be immense for the rest of the season.

Some games through the middle, some from the right.
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #99: Feb 01, 2011 07:27:20 am
      Anyone wondering if Torres's departure will make Gerrard improve or decrease in form?
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #100: Feb 01, 2011 07:41:31 am
      I think Meireles can take up the roaming CM role for the rest of the season, Gerrard is a fantastic crosser of the ball, we now have a giant in the middle and can actually header, this is the formation I think we could use til the end of the season:

Reina
      Kelly        Carra               Agger       Johnson

Meireles
      Gerrard                                         Maxi
                Kuyt                     Suarez
                              Carroll
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #101: Feb 01, 2011 08:45:31 am

A fellow red a couple of weeks ago pointed out Stevie's weaknesses in a 442 at centre mid,

;D!!!! I'm sure Kenny would love to hear about this weakness from a "forum member"!!! :-)

"quick mr comolli, go and scout me a defensive midfielder - i've just heard from lfcreds.com that stevie's not as good as we thought!!!"
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #102: Feb 01, 2011 08:53:34 am
      Stevie excelled in the freer midfield roles. Out wide or in the hole. As it stands now I think we should stick with a 4-3-3. Stevie, Lucas, Raul - Suarez, Carroll, Maxi
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #103: Feb 01, 2011 10:16:57 am
      Stevie has to be played in a role closer to goal and stripped of tracking back. He can press really well. He can always drop in to make the extra man but he needs to be kep from dropping deep in front of the defence. He doesn;t track he just causes confusion. He is great around the goals though
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #104: Feb 01, 2011 03:33:45 pm
      Wouldnt like to see stevie anywhere else other than in the middle.

Whenever hes pushed out wide he drifts in far too often which can be so frustrating. When your looking for a switch because its got too crowded down the left flank, theres nobody to switch it too because hes wandered off somewhere.

Hes far more influential in the middle, not only for his link up play but for his tackles and chasing down - putting pressure on the opposition.  It would be much easier to mark him out the game if hes pushed on the right.

When Carragher does his usual long hoof to big andy who will no doubt knock them down every time, who do you want running up ready to strike the ball at goal? Stevie G.

Definately has to play in the middle for me
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #105: Feb 01, 2011 04:20:49 pm
      When Carragher does his usual long hoof to big andy who will no doubt knock them down every time, who do you want running up ready to strike the ball at goal?
      Raul! :D
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #106: Feb 03, 2011 03:09:49 pm

;D!!!! I'm sure Kenny would love to hear about this weakness from a "forum member"!!! :-)

"quick mr comolli, go and scout me a defensive midfielder - i've just heard from lfcreds.com that stevie's not as good as we thought!!!"

So instead of actually discussing whether or not Stevie has defensive weaknesses in a 442 you just thought you would cut out bits from my post and chuck a bit o sarcasm in.

Its a forum, for discussion, if all players were perfect we wouldn't have anything to discuss would we.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #107: Feb 03, 2011 03:27:57 pm
      Just leave him be, he's doing fine to me  ;D

Like any cog he fits in wherever Kenny thinks the team needs him.

danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #108: Feb 03, 2011 06:57:09 pm
      Tell him to carry on as he is. Defended well from the front versus Stoke, won a lot of tackles, covered a lot of ground.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #109: Feb 03, 2011 08:18:58 pm

Perhaps he may take note of the LEGENDARY coach, Arrigo Sacchi?
      “When I was director of football at Real Madrid I had to evaluate the players coming through the youth ranks. We had some who were very good footballers. They had technique, they had athleticism, they had drive, they were hungry.

"But they lacked what I call knowing-how-to-play-football. They lacked decision making. They lacked positioning. They didn't have the subtle sensitivity of football: how a player should move within the collective. And for many, I wasn't sure they were going to learn".

“You see, strength, passion, technique, athleticism, all of these are very important. But they are a means to an end, not an end in itself. They help you reach your goal, which is putting your talent at the service of the team and, by doing this, making both of you and the team greater.

"In situations like that, I just have to say, Gerrard's a great footballer, but perhaps not a great player."
      Quoted from an interview he gave to the telegraph

His instinctive style means moments of pure genius but also means he follows the ball rather a lot, and in a 442, the 2 CM need to be very disciplined.

So, with that said, if you disagree with Sacchi's assessment, drop him a line and explain to a footballing legend why you are right and he is wrong.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #110: Feb 03, 2011 08:44:08 pm
      So, with that said, if you disagree with Sacchi's assessment, drop him a line and explain to a footballing legend why you are right and he is wrong.

Owned  :lmao:
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #111: Feb 03, 2011 09:08:38 pm
      A 4-3-3 could suit the players we have at the moment, but we need a new defensive mid, a left back and a wing forward in the summer. Gerrard could play very well in a midfield three, alongside Meireles, with a better defensive mid than Lucas, who despite his talents, isn't a defensive mid.
      danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #112: Feb 03, 2011 09:49:01 pm
      Perhaps he may take note of the LEGENDARY coach, Arrigo Sacchi?Quoted from an interview he gave to the telegraph

His instinctive style means moments of pure genius but also means he follows the ball rather a lot, and in a 442, the 2 CM need to be very disciplined.

Positional discipline is just doing as you're told really, and Sacchi isn't infallible.

Gerrard can, and he has played well in disciplined central midfield roles on occasion. He's not at his best if he isn't "marauding around the pitch like a colossus" though.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #113: Feb 03, 2011 09:58:48 pm
      Next season I would play him in the 3 man midfield as part of the 4-3-3 where he can dictate play and run from deep.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #114: Feb 03, 2011 10:16:17 pm
      Positional discipline is just doing as you're told really, and Sacchi isn't infallible.

Gerrard can, and he has played well in disciplined central midfield roles on occasion. He's not at his best if he isn't "marauding around the pitch like a colossus" though.

On occasion doesn't really cut it at the highest level though, does it?

He plays by instinct when he's most effective, and that's why he needs a free-er role than CM - in other words, on the right or behind the striker.

If you think Sacchi is wrong, explain why - and back that up with your credentials, which need to be at least as impressive as his, not to mention Rafa and KK who both play him in a free role.

Quick Reply