Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Loyalty of defence vs. selfishness of attack

Read 4859 times
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Loyalty of defence vs. selfishness of attack
      Jan 30, 2011 11:58:06 pm
      Just thought something which I've realised is quite interesting.

Why is it only the attacking players in a team who are the divas who throw their rattle out of the pram for more wages, sell their soul to play for their team's big rivals etc etc.

I mean look at these examples:

Owen playing for Manchester United.
      Riera last year slagged everyone off and the club.
      Benayoun went to Chelsea because we "weren't good enough".
      And now Fernando Torres to Chelsea because we don't match his ambitions.

I mean you don't see Reina, Agger, Carragher, Lucas, Skrtel and Johnson moaning and winging whenever the going is tough and demanding transfers. Do attacking players see themselves as better than the rest of the team? I think the pressure and the limelight of being the attacking end of the team is turning attackers into divas who are ruining football.

A few recent examples from other teams:

Tevez
      Rooney
      Suarez
      Fabregas

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of. I just cannot think of many defensive players doing the same thing.

Why is this? It's just not the way football and especially Liverpool FC should be. Divas are ruining football in my opinion and I think we need more players like Kuyt (who could have gone to Inter this summer) to stay loyal to the cause. I'm disappointed in Torres as I thought he was struggling for form and convinced myself he wasn't working with Hodgson's tactics. Seems he's just another self important diva.

What does everyone else think? Try not to turn this into a Torres thread.

Is the secret to a top top team to fill it with perhaps not the very best players but great quality team players? Or should we be going down the Man City route and signing every self important diva under the sun for massive wages?

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Loyalty of defence vs. selfishness of attack
      Reply #1: Jan 31, 2011 12:00:24 am
      John Terry & Ashley Cole aren't exactly the loyal types, Cole and his near car accident & Terry flirting with Man City. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8646 
      Reply #2: Jan 31, 2011 12:01:38 am
      John Terry & Ashley Cole aren't exactly the loyal types, Cole and his near car accident & Terry flirting with Man City. 

And look what loyalty Cole showed to Arsenal!!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Jan 31, 2011 12:05:12 am
      Then we have Lescott to Man City.

If you sat and thought about it, through the footballing years you would find many examples.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #4: Jan 31, 2011 12:05:38 am
      possibly could arise from the fact that generally the attacking players would score the most goals, thus attracting the most of the limelight. This limelight can increase their ego and will all sorts of advisors filling their heads about how they are the best in the world. They then think they have the right to do what they want.

Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #5: Jan 31, 2011 12:08:54 am
      Two good examples there, so am I barking up the wrong tree? I still think defensive players tend to want to grind on at their current clubs rather than jump ship if it's not going quite well enough...?
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #6: Jan 31, 2011 12:11:23 am
      possibly could arise from the fact that generally the attacking players would score the most goals, thus attracting the most of the limelight. This limelight can increase their ego and will all sorts of advisors filling their heads about how they are the best in the world. They then think they have the right to do what they want.

That's what I think as well. So what's the best approach to take when building a team for the future? Big name divas or quality team players who will work hard. I think City are going the wrong way about it, money is not a good way of building a team, you need the players to work for the team, not their wallets.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #7: Jan 31, 2011 12:14:39 am
      That's what I think as well. So what's the best approach to take when building a team for the future? Big name divas or quality team players who will work hard. I think City are going the wrong way about it, money is not a good way of building a team, you need the players to work for the team, not their wallets.

A top quality manager that will keep their egos in check is pivotal. Play for the badge, not the paycheck. Personally, I think a salary cap should be introduced with mabye a bigger wage bonus at the end of the season based on club success. Make the players earn it.

I wouls still go for the 'superstars' but let them know why they are playing. For trophies.

Look at Mascherano, how could he possibly be proud to say he was part of a La Liga winning team when he done F**k all all season but sit on the bench.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,650 posts | 3882 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Jan 31, 2011 12:20:09 am
      Two thoughts on this. 1 strikers tend to be the glory hunters. 2 most clubs push for strikers when they want to spend big.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #9: Jan 31, 2011 12:50:36 am
      It looks as though it only happens to big name players in their clubs when things are not turning out what they wanted it to be at the club they are at.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6976 
      Reply #10: Jan 31, 2011 12:59:58 am
      Sol Campbell.

Joleon Lescott.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,175 posts | 265 
      Reply #11: Jan 31, 2011 02:31:51 am
      Gallas, Kolo Toure, and Cashly Cole for sure.
      And Carragher he know no other club in the world would pay him his present wage except Liverpool !
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Jan 31, 2011 02:59:09 am
      Cannavarro.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,870 posts | 6808 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Jan 31, 2011 03:12:50 am
      Isn't Drogba gunning for a go at Real Madrid? There's another one.
      danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 31, 2011 07:46:18 am
      The better the player, the bigger and better the offers from other clubs. It's really as simple as that. If Barcelona came in with a £50m offer for any of our loyal defensive players they'd no doubt be tempted.

Benayoun and Riera slagged off Rafa for not playing them. That's why Benayoun left anyway, or at least what he claimed.

Cardy
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #15: Jan 31, 2011 10:39:24 am
      It's funny how his form has improved since the start of the transfer window , personally I would get shot of him for the best price ie 50m , the disappointing thing is we thought the relationship was something very special , turns out it was all one way , good riddance Torres. xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #16: Jan 31, 2011 12:04:51 pm
      The better the player, the bigger and better the offers from other clubs. It's really as simple as that. If Barcelona came in with a £50m offer for any of our loyal defensive players they'd no doubt be tempted.

Benayoun and Riera slagged off Rafa for not playing them. That's why Benayoun left anyway, or at least what he claimed.

And now he's playing more at Chelsea when he was here. Good riddance!

Well, didn't you remember how Milan flirted with Agger some time ago? It's not the case if you're a defender or a striker, but as long you played well and caught the attention offers will come flowing in. We are more known for targeting players who are less known but sturdier and tougher compared to what Man Citeh or even Chelsea are looking for. Plus, it's hard to find a defender who can be sold off for a price higher than 30 million. It's mostly around 15 million max. Only a couple could fetch more than that.

Furthermore, in most of the major tournaments, it's the striker or the midfielder who looked more impressing. Remember what Owen did in World Cup? Bet you nobody could remember how good Juan Sorin for Argentina or even Andreas Brehme for Germany.

It's nature for the sought after players to feel wanted and pursued as they know a player with their stature will always be in the radar, and a common thing for a player to learn the tradition of his current club; the rivalry, the arch nemesis, the derbies, the legacy and the most importantly the fans. Most of them respected that and always knew in their hearts if someday fate took them to another club it will not be any rival club in the same league eventhough in some cases it did happened otherwise (Tevez/Cashley Cole/Toure). But it's an absolute unforgiven sin for any player who in their sane mind will never go to a club who is agonizingly despised by the fans take the u-turn and do the unexpected. Remember the Adebayor celebration? Your team mates are your heart and your fans is your blood but always remember your club is your soul. A player who played with no soul will eventually failed the heart and cuts off any blood supply. Once a loved near legendary status player to a hated unwanted SOB!

In all, it's not about whether he's a defender or a striker, but how you carry the pride of yourself, your mates, your fans and mostly your club. LFC is not any club, it's THE club. That logo on your chest is not just another logo, but it's the family crest, the tradition, the legacy, the pain, the sorrow, the happiness and joy.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #17: Feb 01, 2011 02:21:18 am
      Gallas, Lescott, Cole.
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts |
      Reply #18: Feb 03, 2011 08:14:39 am
      This topic really doesn't have anything to do with us.Shouldn't it be moved to the general football forum?

Quick Reply