Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

McClaren Wants Carragher

Read 2773 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      McClaren Wants Carragher
      Aug 07, 2007 08:52:56 am
      From BBC Sport:

McClaren planning Carragher talks

England coach Steve McClaren is to renew his attempts to persuade Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher not to retire from international football.
      Carragher has hinted he no longer wants to play a bit-part role for England.

But with John Terry, Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate all set to miss the forthcoming friendly with Germany, McClaren wants Carragher to play on.

"I've had a couple of conversations with Jamie and I'll have another with him next week," said McClaren.

The England coach added: "Jamie Carragher is a very important player for England and a very important member of the squad.

You can't close the door on anyone in this job

Carragher was omitted from England's last game - a Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia - and is frustrated by his status in the national team's pecking order.

"I can totally understand his thought process," said McClaren. "I've every sympathy with players who want to play and feel they should.

"In a way, he has been quite unfortunate. There are players in every squad who can be effective in many positions, maybe sometimes to their detriment."

If Carragher opts to retire from international football, McClaren said he might turn to Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell.

The 32-year-old defender has not featured for England since last summer's World Cup.

"You can't close the door on anyone in this job," said McClaren.

"It would be silly and foolish of me to dismiss either Sol or [Campbell's Portsmouth team-mate] David James.

"I never said I'd do it and I've no intention of doing it.

"Last season was a very good one for Sol and with Ben Foster being injured as well, I will certainly be going to watch Portsmouth.

"I've brought players back in the past and as long as players want to be involved with England, that is great."

Before talking to Carragher, McClaren will assess David Beckham's fitness and the standard of MLS soccer on a trip to America this week.

McClaren said: "I know David has been struggling with injury and has not played yet but I intend to go over and have a chat with him to see how he is.

"I also need to watch an MLS game in the flesh and have a look at the standard - I need to see it myself."

McClaren will watch Washington's DC United host LA Galaxy on Thursday.

Following that, McClaren will travel across England to take in four games in the opening five days of the Premier League season.

Starting at West Ham on Saturday, McClaren will then head to Manchester United, Tottenham and Portsmouth.

McClaren will want to cast his eye over as many players as possible before picking his squad to face Germany on 22 August.

LINK

Just say no Carra. You know the second Terry's fit again you'll be straight back on the bench every game. Tell the ginger tosser where to stick it.
      MsGerrard
      Re: McClaren Wants Carragher
      Reply #1: Aug 07, 2007 09:12:20 am
      Quite agree with you Eddie, if Terry, Woodgate or King were fit to play, Jamie wouldn't even be in contention, I would tell McClaren to stick the job were the sun don't shine. >:D
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #2: Aug 07, 2007 10:12:33 am
      I thought Carragher didn't look his usual self in pre-season. I suggests he really does tell England to eff off and concentrate on the mighty reds.

(Which I think he will).
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #3: Aug 07, 2007 10:12:54 am
      I doubt Campbell can even come close to touching Carragher's skill and fitness levels these days he is a has been and if Mclaren is seriously looking to replace Carra he'll have a impossible task on his hands

Quote BBC website:

Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell is in line for a shock England recall for the crucial September Euro 2004 qualifiers. (Daily Star)

Alas we can go back and win it after all!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #4: Aug 07, 2007 10:51:39 am
      "I can totally understand his thought process," said McClaren. "I've every sympathy with players who want to play and feel they should.

His thought process is 'why am I below such dross in the pecking order?'.  What NOBODY can understand is why McClaren doesn't pick Carragher as a matter of course.

Cr*p premiership manager and now a Cr*p England manager.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Aug 07, 2007 11:38:24 am
      The bloody cheek of him, only wants him back when he's got no back up, if JT, LK or JW was fit Carra would be sitting on the bench again.  Tell him were to stick it Jamie  >:D 
      Cy
      Reply #6: Aug 07, 2007 11:40:31 am
      To be ready to call back Sol Campbell, Beckhams, James is an acceptance of failures from Mac Laren, it just show how desperate he is. Calling back CARRA is an other acceptance that he was wrong, the quality of CARRA is undeniable and his fitness level is second to none when was the last time CARRA was injured for Liverpool or England? I would like CARRA to give him the fingers and let him going begging to Sol to considering to play again, Mac Laren has a clear record for treating players like less then nothing and I'm happy that he will taste a bit of his own soup.

As much as I would not like to, CARRA as a true professional will certainly agree to play that friendly against Germany but he will be in a much stronger position to have a word or two with maclaren. What is the most disappointing in that story but not surprising is when CARRA few weeks back decided to stop playing for England I don't recall seeing or heard maclaren praising what CARRA has done for his country and how sad it is for England to lost a player like him. Now that he is in deep trouble he is singing CARRA praises, it just tells you a lot about the man, he should have never been nominated in the first place and I really hope that England do not qualified for the Euro, it would a sad day for the fans but that is all the F.A deserved.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #7: Aug 07, 2007 03:19:35 pm
      Tell him to fcuk off Carra let him pick Sol.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #8: Aug 07, 2007 03:36:25 pm
      This kinda annoys doesnt it. He snipes Jamie on more occasions than can be mentioned and yet he still wants him to be a back up player for his little festival of fiascose. This is something Carra should have done ages ago to be honest. If Carra and JT were centre backs England would probably be in better shape. I have great respect for Sol Cambell too and he was also "overlooked" yet again by a coach who has become so over cautious and defensive in the style of his predecessor that Im not even sure Im looking at the same man who was manager at boro. His hair is also receeding all he needs now is the sweep it back with a centre parting of sorts put on some rimless glasses and hey presto clone of Sven.

What really bites me is he rates Rio the pedo and his so callled world cup wind up sh*te as the best centre back in the country. Scues me if Im being rude here, but when has anyone ever seen Rio have a great performance in an England shirt. Ummmm Not me... come to think of it he really hasnt had a decent game for the scum has he..

Problem with Mclaren is he is too taken up with preoccupation of keeping the media happy and trying the keep the pressure off his own back in the tabloids and brushing his own ego. That he has forgotton he is a football coach, and as such should pick the players who are performing well and playing them in the correct positions of which they are accustomed when with their clubs, and not bending to whim and whining of tosspot scum supporters like Eamon "I know all there is to know about football although Im fat bastad" Holmes.
      Njadula
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #9: Aug 07, 2007 03:38:46 pm
      The nerve. MacLaren is unbelievable when it comes to messing up, continuously out does himself! A big no no Jamie. However, I have a bad feeling Jamie will do it for his country, being the man of substance that he is.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #10: Aug 07, 2007 03:45:04 pm
      Jamie will do it for his country, being the man of substance that he is.

Never a truer word said ever. Jamie Carragher is that kind of man indeed.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #11: Aug 07, 2007 04:30:11 pm
      He said if there's any disaster where there is no other fit defender then he would step in! I can see him standing in!

Agreed however though that as soon as any other English defender is fit he'll be straight out of contention again!  >:( The tosser that McClaren is!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: Aug 07, 2007 04:41:48 pm

Problem with Mclaren is he is too taken up with preoccupation of keeping the media happy and trying the keep the pressure off his own back in the tabloids and brushing his own ego. That he has forgotton he is a football coach, and as such should pick the players who are performing well and playing them in the correct positions of which they are accustomed when with their clubs, and not bending to whim and whining of tosspot scum supporters like Eamon "I know all there is to know about football although Im fat bastad" Holmes.

Hit the nail bang on the head there Pragmatic.

You can see through the man a mile away (and that's nothing to do with his receeding hair do). If there ever was time for Carra to call time on his England career, then it should have been when McClaren took over, at the latest. He's a yes man to the FA and to the media and it affects the England team in a bad way.
      Even when an over rated player like Ferdinand is injured, he's still behind someone else like King to play centre back? Kick in the teeth.

Whatever Carra decides to do, I'll back him all the way, obviously. But his decision to quit his national career was a good one and I hope he stands by it.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Aug 07, 2007 10:02:23 pm
      OHHH that man annoys me >:( >:(

Carra has made his decision, Steve, leave him alone! He's the best defender in the world IMO and is overlooked at almost every stupid England game?

GRRRR  >:D
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #14: Aug 12, 2007 11:54:53 pm
      carragher to take ferdinands spot !!!!!!!!!!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #15: Aug 13, 2007 11:21:18 pm

McClaren planning Carragher talks

Are Hamilton and Alonso not good enough for them?
      Trev
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #16: Aug 15, 2007 12:20:00 pm
      Best defender England has had for years and McClaren just f**ks him about , well done Jamie stick by your guns and consentrate on the reds glory
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #17: Aug 15, 2007 12:28:15 pm
      Are Hamilton and Alonso not good enough for them?

:D :D :D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,296 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      sky sports
      Reply #18: Aug 19, 2007 09:07:43 pm
      Did anybody else hear the conmmentator on sky today about Carra?. He said something along the lines of carra turning his back on England!! Unreal i dont think paul scholes got that when he quit England did he   
      Euro5
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      • Come On You RED MEN
      Reply #19: Aug 20, 2007 02:41:15 pm
      i have got my reservations about mclarren i don't think he can take england forward and i believe jc should stick to his guns.

harry redknapp for england manager please.

look what hes done at portsmouth who i think are a quality team now under him.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #20: Aug 20, 2007 09:27:25 pm
      Mclarren is clutching at straws to save his arse. He now thinks Carra is the best thing since sliced bread but previously moved him down the pecking order to accomodate Ledley King. What the fcuk does he expect any player to do when treated like that. There isn't a footy pundit who doesn't agree that Carra is the most consistent center back in the prem, probably the most passionate and commited but Mclarren only thinks he's good enough when his 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th choice are nackered. When you continually hammer a blokes belief,  confidence and patience Mr Mclarren, don't expect him to come running for you when you're in the sh*t. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,296 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2007 05:50:43 pm
      Geoff hurst on sky sports news throwing in his feelings now on how hes dissapointed with carra. Piss off England only want him back cos theryre stuck hed be left on the bench again when all the favourites will be back
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 23, 2007 07:13:51 pm
      I completely understand and respect Carra's decision. He is, and has been for some time, England's best centre back. I have heard some people moaning that he isn't as good for England as he is for Liverpool. But that's purely because he is playing out of position. To put Ferdinand above him is shocking and to be left out even when either him or Terry has been injured is an absolute disgrace. It is sad that the talent of Carra isn't going to be seen on an international level anymore, but at the same time I think he has made the right decision for himself.
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #23: Aug 23, 2007 08:28:57 pm
      Lets put it this way watching that rubbish last night at wembley i knw it was a friendly but our centre backs got torn apart every time by that german striker! If carra was there i dont think we would have folded so easy. But personally englang have treated him like sh***
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #24: Aug 24, 2007 08:47:08 am
      Even the United fans at work admit that Ferdinand has been off the boil for some time.  They can't understand why Carragher is not first choice for England.  I don't think he should reconsider his position unless there is a change in the England management and that may not be too long with the way things are going at the moment.  Remember that was only a second string German team who really didn't look anything special.
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #25: Aug 24, 2007 10:28:57 am
      Scholes was a first team regular and at his peak when he retired from internationals and i don't remember him getting stick from ex players.  Carra is entitled to do as he pleases and for the longevity of his club career he's made the right decision.  Not convinced at all by McClaren on this and many other issues, he can blame his own poor man management for this situation.
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #26: Aug 24, 2007 11:05:27 am
      Scholes was a first team regular and at his peak when he retired from internationals and I don't remember him getting stick from ex players.  Carra is entitled to do as he pleases and for the longevity of his club career he's made the right decision.  Not convinced at all by McClaren on this and many other issues, he can blame his own poor man management for this situation.

Aah, but Scholes is a Utd player, so that's alright.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #27: Aug 24, 2007 11:46:14 am
      What was it McLaren said on Sunday? Something like, Carra has always been a very important player for England. How the hell did he figure that one out?! 34 appearances in 8 years is the sign of a very important national player?   :sarcasm:

Quick Reply