Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool > Rangers)

Read 143779 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Jon Flanagan Player Thread
      Reply #437: Mar 18, 2014 06:52:30 pm
      I can't believe this young man got no mention here today , f**king brilliant he was .

I said in the match thread that he was my motm thought the lad was immense
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #438: Mar 18, 2014 07:02:27 pm
      Might not be an absurd idea to get this young man a contract extension and a few more pounds in his pocket each week if he continues his form? Seems to be growing into his role more and more.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #439: Mar 18, 2014 09:21:51 pm
      Might not be an absurd idea to get this young man a contract extension and a few more pounds in his pocket each week if he continues his form? Seems to be growing into his role more and more.

He's scouse through and through mate, I agree he deserves a new contract but he wont need one to keep him motivated while he's in the first team he'll give 100% every game of that I've no doubt. As for signing him up to stop him leaving, if someone came in with an offer we'd only have to match it and he wouldn't think twice.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #440: Mar 18, 2014 09:23:37 pm
      He's scouse through and through mate, I agree he deserves a new contract but he wont need one to keep him motivated while he's in the first team he'll give 100% every game of that I've no doubt. As for signing him up to stop him leaving, if someone came in with an offer we'd only have to match it and he wouldn't think twice.

He'd probably turn them down anyway Luke, even if they doubled his wages.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #441: Mar 18, 2014 09:24:59 pm
      He'd probably turn them down anyway Luke, even if they doubled his wages.

Totally agree Debs to be honest, was just giving a worst case :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #442: Mar 18, 2014 09:27:42 pm
      Totally agree Debs to be honest, was just giving a worst case :D

He'd probably laugh at them too.  What was it Carra said "what club's bigger than Liverpool"?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #443: Mar 18, 2014 09:29:02 pm
      He'd probably laugh at them too.  What was it Carra said "what club's bigger than Liverpool"?

Said it a few games ago that he's starting to remind me of a young Carra and I've seen nothing to make me want to take that statement back. My surprise of the season to be honest and I'm hoping, just like Carra, his work ethic and desire will mean he'll continue to surprise us.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #444: Mar 18, 2014 09:31:41 pm
      Said it a few games ago that he's starting to remind me of a young Carra and I've seen nothing to make me want to take that statement back. My surprise of the season to be honest and I'm hoping, just like Carra, his work ethic and desire will mean he'll continue to surprise us.

Said the same myself Luke.  Just like Carra he may not be the best but he'll always give his best and then some and that's all I ask of any Liverpool player.

We could do a lot worse than a Carra Mk2.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #445: Mar 18, 2014 09:33:07 pm
      Said the same myself Luke.  Just like Carra he may not be the best but he'll always give his best and then some and that's all I ask of any Liverpool player.

We could do a lot worse than a Carra Mk2.

Actually think it was you that I robbed it off thinking about it Debs, sorry about that :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #446: Mar 18, 2014 09:43:44 pm
      Actually think it was you that I robbed it off thinking about it Debs, sorry about that :D

Don't apologise mate that's what the internets for isn't it, sharing thoughts and ideas and anyway it must have struck a cord or you wouldn't have nicked it  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #447: Mar 20, 2014 11:34:33 pm
      Guardian reporting a new contract coming for Flanno.  Get in lad!
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #448: Mar 20, 2014 11:43:15 pm

Guardian reporting a new contract coming for Flanno.  Get in lad!

The details

The Liverpool defender Jon Flanagan is to be awarded a new contract this summer having resurrected his Anfield career under Brendan Rodgers.

The 21-year-old has established himself as a key part of Liverpool's title-chasing team, in the right and left full-back positions, and Rodgers has compared the defender to a young Steve Nicol following Sunday's accomplished performance at Manchester United. Flanagan enters the final 12 months of his existing Liverpool contract at the end of the season but will be offered a long-term extension in recognition of his growing influence at the club.

Rodgers confirmed on Thursday: "Jon will be given a new contract. Come the summer he's got another year so he will definitely be given a new deal in the summer, no question. He has been outstanding. He reminded me of Steve Nicol against Manchester United on Sunday – a right-footed player on the left side, steady, aggressive, no fear; he's been a revelation, and particularly in the big games. It's great when you see a young player develop like that. You can see the confidence he has now. He has made himself an important member of the squad."

The Liverpool-born academy product made his first-team debut under Kenny Dalglish almost three years ago but did not kick on and played only twice in Rodgers' first season in charge. Since returning against Arsenal in November, however, Flanagan has developed into a consistent and confident defender, one who Liverpool's manager believes could have a long-term future at left-back.

Rodgers added: "If he keeps his focus and keeps working well he can do that. He was only born in '93, he's only very young, but his performance levels are so mature. United had to change [Juan] Mata over at the weekend. He booted Mata over to the other side and then [Adnan] Januzaj as well. He's not easily fazed.

"I think the biggest thing for me has been his temperament; that is one of his attributes. He never really featured for me at all at the start. There was José Enrique and others considered in front of him but the most impressive thing for me was that the kid just kept going. He showed his determination. We spoke a number of times about him going out on loan but no one came in for him on loan. That didn't faze him. He went away with the reserves to Seville and was pushing skips through the airport.

"How I work is I will always give players an opportunity. I will never disregard players early, they will always have a chance to show that they care and they can improve and that is what he has done. I had Gareth Southgate down here yesterday and he was raving over him. He is a wonderful young talent but in order to stay at that level he needs to focus and concentrate on staying in the team."

Rodgers expressed dismay at Flanagan's exclusion from both England's Under-21s, managed by Southgate, and the senior side for the international friendlies at the start of the month. But, after the meeting with the Under-21s coach, he is content for the defender to concentrate on Liverpool's pursuit of a first league title since 1990.

"He [Southgate] has obviously got Jack Robinson at left-back and I think he has more or less kept the same squad for the Under-21s," said the Liverpool manager. "I think for young Jon it is more a case of focusing on his Liverpool career. That, first and foremost, is what he has craved over the last few years. He thought the opportunity might have passed him by but now he is grabbing it with both hands and doesn't want to let it go.

"You can see the hunger and his quality in his performances. We had another debrief of the United game this morning and you could see the quality in his one-touch passing. It was excellent."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/20/brendan-rodgers-jon-flanagan-liverpool-contract

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #449: Mar 21, 2014 02:27:49 pm
      I'm delighted for him to get the new contract , it will give him even more confidence in himself and for Rodgers to liken him to Stevie Nicol will put the cherry on the cake for him .
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #450: Mar 21, 2014 04:03:45 pm
      Thrilled for Jon!!  At the end of last season I thought we'd see Flanno moved on because he seemed to drop behind others like Wisdom and Robo in the pecking order.  Well done to him for busting his nuts and working his way into the 1st team!!  The way he is playing, one of Enrique/Johno will miss out when all 3 are fit.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #451: Mar 21, 2014 04:18:22 pm
      Fantastic news for Jon, he must be over the moon.  I think Jons progression will be more of a motivator for other Academy lads than Raheems, as it wasn't expected.

Just shows what hard work and determination can achieve.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #452: Mar 21, 2014 04:27:37 pm
      Well in Jon lad, tell you what the way he commits himself 100% reminds me more than a bit of the Anfield Iron and his famous take no prisoners tackles.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #453: Mar 21, 2014 04:41:46 pm
      Jon made it into the European side of the week after his performance last Sunday but I just love this, even if it might not be real.

Interviewer:  "Were you not a bit nervous, Mata, Rooney and Van Persie aren't exactly your average Premier League players?"

Flanagan:  "Well when you have to wake up every morning and walk into the training ground to see Luis, Studge and Raheem lacing their boots up - there a very few things that can make you more nervous, for a defender."
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #454: Mar 21, 2014 04:49:20 pm
      Well chuffed for the kid, fully deserved & must feel like a million dollars knowing the boss has trust in him.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #455: Mar 21, 2014 04:56:52 pm
      Jon made it into the European side of the week after his performance last Sunday but I just love this, even if it might not be real.

Interviewer:  "Were you not a bit nervous, Mata, Rooney and Van Persie aren't exactly your average Premier League players?"

Flanagan:  "Well when you have to wake up every morning and walk into the training ground to see Luis, Studge and Raheem lacing their boots up - there a very few things that can make you more nervous, for a defender."

That's quality Debs - would love that to be true!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #456: Mar 21, 2014 04:59:43 pm
      That's quality Debs - would love that to be true!

Same here mate.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #457: Mar 21, 2014 05:01:15 pm
      This is the way to make this team strong for years to come, develop great youth players that are loyal and want to stay with the club. Reward the ones that work hard and make contributions. A pipeline of talent to feed the club for the future.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #458: Mar 21, 2014 06:57:23 pm
      A couple of Jons stats, he's now played 30 games and we have a 61% win rate when he plays  ;)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #459: Mar 21, 2014 07:07:26 pm
      Flanno's been fantastic. So happy to see him play this well and get rewarded for it because I'll admit it: When he first came back into the side I thought it would be disastrous for us. Credit to him for rebounding the way he has and being a very solid fullback for us. Can play both sides, too, which is massive.

Quick Reply