Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Did I dream it or did they play for LFC?

Read 20840 times
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Re: Did I dream it or did they play for LFC?
      Reply #92: Feb 22, 2011 09:59:50 am
      sean dundee
      dean saunders
      got to be two of the worse signings
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #93: Feb 22, 2011 10:26:01 am
      Wasn't Saunders our leading scorer the season we sold him? Not sure if I'm imagining that but can't be arsed to research it from my phone, ;D. Sure he scored something like 24 or 25 goals.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #94: Feb 22, 2011 10:47:26 am
      Vladimir Smicer!!!! Pulled out of more tackles than any player I've ever seen. (Yes, I know he scored in the CL but he was toss for the rest of his time here). Others that were never fit to wear the shirt: bellamy, heskey, le tallec, meijer, voronin, xavier, konchesky, biscan, diao, diouf, ngog, james, kvarme, babb, kromkamp, kewell, traore, cheyrou, kirkland, carson, ferri, diomede, litmanen.......etc etc
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #95: Feb 22, 2011 12:18:17 pm
      I always rated Riedle myself.  Thought he was a great link striker (or 'hole' player).  It worked great when Owen was fit, but more often than not he wasn't.  A nice touch and good in the air, although our style of football during those years was nothing to boast about.

Many have already been mentioned, plus the fact we seemed to go through the much of the late 90's without any really good central defenders.  But the standout ones for me would be:

Sean Dundee.  Did he play any more than 5 games? (edit just checked, 3 apparently)
      Julian Dicks
      Paul Konchesky

I'm sure there are more, but some I guess we could excuse if they never adapted to the premier league.  Konchesky and Dicks I don't think have any excuses.  Sean Dundee, I recall was full of himself when he arrived, comparing himself to Michael Owen in the speed stakes.  I mean, who sanctioned that one??!

little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #96: Feb 22, 2011 12:56:53 pm
      Vladimir Smicer!!!! Pulled out of more tackles than any player I've ever seen. (Yes, I know he scored in the CL but he was toss for the rest of his time here). Others that were never fit to wear the shirt: bellamy, heskey, le tallec, meijer, voronin, xavier, konchesky, biscan, diao, diouf, ngog, james, kvarme, babb, kromkamp, kewell, traore, cheyrou, kirkland, carson, ferri, diomede, litmanen.......etc etc

Didn't Heskey get over 20 goals one season? He was a starter for England too so hardly call him a dud back then, same with Litmanen, he was a brilliant, brilliant player on his day.

Konchesky is a good shout too. Never ever the quality to play or Liverpool. I don't care about money, we could have signed 101 LB's that would the same price and do a better job.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #97: Feb 22, 2011 03:02:16 pm
      Didn't Heskey get over 20 goals one season? He was a starter for England too so hardly call him a dud back then, same with Litmanen, he was a brilliant, brilliant player on his day.

Konchesky is a good shout too. Never ever the quality to play or Liverpool. I don't care about money, we could have signed 101 LB's that would the same price and do a better job.

Big deal - the likes of marcus stewart, dion dublin, andy johnson and james beattie have also scored 20 goals in one season but it doesn't mean their good enough for LFC either. And so what if heskey has played for england - we're hardly a world beating side! Heskey is just one of many donkeys that have played for england in recent years - it hardly proves that he's class.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #98: Feb 22, 2011 03:08:02 pm
      Litmanen? Possibly one of the highest quality players we've had at Liverpool in the last 20 years.
      Bellamy? Good player, could use him now, shame he swung a golf club at Riise.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #99: Feb 22, 2011 03:09:39 pm
      I don't think people get the point of this thread, it's players who didn't play for us for long, not players who were not good enough us.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #100: Feb 22, 2011 03:32:22 pm
      I don't think people get the point of this thread, it's players who didn't play for us for long, not players who were not good enough us.

Says who? I've just re-read the first post and it seems to be about players that were surprising signings for whatever reason..
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #101: Feb 22, 2011 03:42:55 pm
      Says who? I've just re-read the first post and it seems to be about players that were surprising signings for whatever reason..
      Exactly, not players who were sh*te.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #102: Feb 22, 2011 05:20:36 pm
      I'm basing mine on suprising for whatever reason, not on them being sh*te.

On that basis, Rigobert Song.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #103: Feb 22, 2011 05:25:00 pm
      I'm basing mine on suprising for whatever reason, not on them being sh*te.

On that basis, Rigobert Song.
      He's still playing today isn't he?! Think he's well into his 40's now!
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #104: Feb 22, 2011 05:37:51 pm
      Always wanted Jari Litmanen, disappointed we didnt get the best out of him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #105: Feb 22, 2011 06:01:23 pm
      Suprised at the Litmanen comments considering he was far from a Houllier fave. Would have been class if used more
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 233 
      Reply #106: Feb 22, 2011 06:06:02 pm
      Bjorn Tore Kvarme
      Torben Piechnik

Who was Torben? Dont remember him (unless you are going further back than 1996!

Anyone remember Frode Kippe?
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #107: Feb 22, 2011 06:08:05 pm
      Or Tony Warner that sub keeper from the 90s
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #108: Feb 22, 2011 06:09:17 pm
      Suprised at the Litmanen comments considering he was far from a Houllier fave. Would have been class if used more

agree. he would fit in right now you wouldve thought
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #109: Feb 22, 2011 06:10:55 pm
      Jari Litmanen was a fantastic player.  Far too attack minded though for GH.  I was chuffed when we signed him and also a little surprised.  Not surprised when we lost him though  :mad:

I think there is room to mention crap players, if we say we were surprised and then say a little why we were surprised?  Is that ok with the OP?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,499 posts | 2869 
      Reply #110: Feb 22, 2011 06:11:47 pm
      Aquilani?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #111: Feb 22, 2011 06:19:55 pm
      Has to be that defensive stalwart Nicky Tanner, its reported that his first kick of a ball was a header and he missed it  ???  ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,144 posts | 3383 
      Reply #112: Feb 22, 2011 06:30:30 pm
      If we're talking about surprise signings, which I assume this is what the thread is about, then re-signing God is up there. Really didn't see it coming but was chuffed to pieces when it happened.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #113: Feb 22, 2011 07:01:53 pm
      The point of the thread was more towards surprise signings than just sh*t players.

We've had great players over the years but also a lot of sh*t especially from the Souness period onwards so just didnt want to list them as thats been done before.

The ones I used originally were Speedie and Paul Jones just because at the time I couldnt believe the Speedie signing (30 something journeyman) and as for Paul Jones I saw a picture of him in an old matchday programme and had to double check as I couldnt remember him playing even though I was at the game!!! (vs Villa)  :o

Good to see peoples replies by the way  ;)
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #114: Feb 22, 2011 08:36:05 pm
      My one and only memory of Glen Hysen was a ridiculously blatant basketball style handball!
      My memories of him are him scoring in the 9-0 over Palace, and his wife who was absolutly stunning when she arrived in merseyside

Quick Reply