Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Emilio Izaguirre (Celtic)

Read 8068 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3855 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Emilio Izaguirre (Celtic)
      Reply #23: May 24, 2011 05:25:36 pm
      Didn't he get SPL player of the year. Might be worth a look if Newcastle presume dealing with us is like winning the lotto
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #24: May 24, 2011 05:27:58 pm
      Was playing left mid in the last match I seen him play in. Suggests hes good going forward, but not so much at defending.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #25: May 24, 2011 05:30:19 pm
      A good signing for the Newcastles and Bolton's of the league. Not for Liverpool
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3855 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: May 24, 2011 05:30:42 pm
      Fabulous did it for us at times under Rafa
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #27: May 24, 2011 05:31:23 pm
      "any offers that do come in will be treated with hostility"

that's hilarious
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #28: May 24, 2011 05:32:15 pm
      Hard to judge with Scottish League being so sh*t.
      newguy
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #29: May 24, 2011 05:37:30 pm
      i am actually form honduras, so ive seen this guy play a lot, he is a lefty good cross and fast, but i think he would be too fragile for this league and he does not have the quality liverpool needs right now, enrique is a better option, he would be a mid table player imo
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #30: May 24, 2011 05:39:14 pm
      I think this lad is a fall back if we don't sign a left back
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #31: May 24, 2011 08:11:46 pm
      Was playing left mid in the last match I seen him play in. Suggests hes good going forward, but not so much at defending.

I've seen a lot of him. And I think he is good defender as well as excellent going forward. Equally as talented as Enrique for me.

Think people are being harsh on him because he plays in the SPL but he is, for me, well capable of making it in the Premier League.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #32: May 24, 2011 08:24:46 pm
      Think he will be a second choice buy if we dont get someone like Enrique,To be honest think we should be looking for better then both of them,Enrique is not a bad player would be a cheap option and give us more money for attacking positions.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #33: May 25, 2011 11:56:49 pm

Newcastle reject Liverpool approach for Enrique

Published 23:01 25/05/11
      By David Maddock

Liverpool have been rebuffed in their first move for Spanish defender Jose Enrique.

However, his club, Newcastle, are resigned to losing the highly-rated full-back, after he indicated he will not sign a new contract and wants a move from St James' Park.

Reds boss Kenny Dalglish is a big admirer of Enrique, who has made a huge impression on the Premier League this season.

The Anfield outfit are thought to be prepared to offer in the region of £4million for the 25-year-old, and have made an informal approach for his services.

Newcastle are not interested in doing business at that price, and have made clear to all potential suitors they value the Spaniard in the region of £15m.

But the left-back has just one year left on his contract and is refusing to talk about a new deal. Magpies boss Alan Pardew admits the player has his sights on a move.

Speaking this week, Pardew conceded Enrique may be allowed to leave:

"There’s no point keeping a player who has set his sights on a club he has perceived is bigger," he said. "You can’t keep a player that’s unmotivated.”

The £15m asking price is clearly unrealistic given the amount of time remaining on the deal Enrique signed when he joined Newcastle from Villarreal in 2007.

Liverpool believe £4m is a fair offer, as it would allow the Magpies to recoup most of the fee they paid for the Spain Under-21 international.

Negotiations will now begin in earnest, with Pardew determined to push the fee up as high as possible.

There is a sense of anger at St James' Park, with the suspicion that Enrique has already decided on a move to Anfield.

The player will make clear over the coming weeks that he wants to further his career by moving to a club with genuine Champions League aspirations, and Liverpool clearly fit the bill.

Dalglish has had a left-back high on his list of priorities since returning to the club in January.

He has also kept a close watch on Celtic's Emilio Izaguirre and Maynor Figueroa of Wigan.

Honduras international Izaguirre is aware of the Anfield interest.

Voted player of the year in Scotland this season after a series of outstanding performances, he admitted he would be interested in a move south of the border.

“This is flattering to any player, that Liverpool shows an interest in your services. I still do not know anything - I have left everything in the hands of my agent and club officials,” he said.

Dalglish will try to pursue a deal with Newcastle over Enrique, but it is increasingly obvious he will turn to Izaguirre if the Geordies continue to be unrealistic in their valuation of the Spaniard.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-Newcastle-transfer-news-Reds-offer-4m-for-Jose-Enrique-but-Magpies-want-15m-Liverpool-could-turn-to-Celtic-Izaguirre-Wigan-Figueroa-instead-article740819.html
      SuperSami4
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #34: May 26, 2011 02:29:27 am
      Have seen a lot of him on tv and been to a few matches this season where he's been quality. No doubt a brilliant left back in my opinion, but then it all comes down to this debate about whether players can make it in the prem. Loads of people seem to think that just because someones unproven means they won't be able to hack it. But how do you know unless you try, thats the risk. Everyone has to start somewhere, improve somewhere.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #35: May 26, 2011 09:21:47 am
      Emilio Izaguirre admits that he finds Liverpool's reported interest in him 'flattering'.

Kenny Dalglish returned to his native Glasgow in February to observe the Honduras international during Celtic's 3-0 win over Rangers, prompting suggestions that the 25-year-old could move to Merseyside this summer to fill the left-back void.

And whilst Celtic have no intentions of selling Izaguirre, who won a hat trick of Player of the Year awards in his first season in the SPL, the player revealed that he has heard of possible interest from Anfield.

"It is flattering for any player of course, when somebody like Liverpool shows an interest in your services," he told La Tribuna.

"I still do now know anything, I leave this in the hands of my agent and club officials."
      http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1213435-celtic-left-back-emilio-izaguirre-flattered-by-liverpool-fc-interest.html
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #36: May 26, 2011 09:23:59 am
      He was saying he wanted to go to Barc a couple of months ago and now there interest has disappeared he suddenly wants to go to us. Signing someone from Scotland is like signing someone from league 2. His career prior to him going there will give people a better view of what standard of player he is
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #37: May 26, 2011 11:11:12 am
      We've offered 4M for Enrique but Newcastle want 15M?? That's ridiculous and reminds me of Suarez deal when we first offered 15M. Think the deal will be done for around 9M.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #38: May 26, 2011 11:26:36 am
      We've offered 4M for Enrique but Newcastle want 15M?? That's ridiculous and reminds me of Suarez deal when we first offered 15M. Think the deal will be done for around 9M.

But if you start at £9m you'd end up paying £12m. 
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #39: May 26, 2011 11:32:58 am
      He was saying he wanted to go to Barc a couple of months ago and now there interest has disappeared he suddenly wants to go to us. Signing someone from Scotland is like signing someone from league 2. His career prior to him going there will give people a better view of what standard of player he is

To be fair mate, I understand you doubting the level of ability in the SPL. (I know it's awful.). But he has been head and shoulders above anyone else up here. Celtic never even won the league and he was still the only one who could handle Rangers on slaught at times. He Is very good defensively but can attack with the best of them.

I would put him ahead of Enrique in terms of talent. Obviously Enrique has Prem experience but this lad is quality.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #40: May 26, 2011 03:15:11 pm

Izaguirre flattered by Reds link

26th May 2011

Celtic star Emilio Izaguirre admits he is 'flattered' by Liverpool's reported interest in him, but says he has yet to be contacted by the Reds.

The Honduran left-back had a wonderful maiden campaign in Scotland, and was voted SPL Player of the Year, Players' Player of the Year and Football Writers' Footballer of the Year.

Neil Lennon insists he has no plans to sell, but now a number of English clubs are being strongly linked with a move for the 25-year-old.

Manchester United, Arsenal, Aston Villa and Liverpool have all been credited with an interest with the latter reported to be in pole position.

The Reds are seemingly in the market for a new left-back and, in recent months, have been linked with the likes of Jose Enrique, Fabio Coentrao and Stephen Warnock, as well as Izaguirre.

And the Honduran, who jetted back to his homeland ahead of next month's Gold Cup, admitted he had heard about Liverpool.

"It is flattering for any player of course, when somebody like Liverpool shows an interest in your services," he told La Tribuna.

"I still do now know anything, I leave this in the hands of my agent and club officials."

Izaguirre insisted he was looking forward to playing for Honduras in the Gold Cup.

"I am happy to be back home, it is always good to be back and thank God it comes after a great season.

"Now my aim is the national team and I am happy to be selected, I will have a few days off and then I will be ready for Honduras."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/izaguirre-flattered-by-reds-link
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #41: May 26, 2011 04:58:37 pm
      To be fair mate, I understand you doubting the level of ability in the SPL. (I know it's awful.). But he has been head and shoulders above anyone else up here. Celtic never even won the league and he was still the only one who could handle Rangers on slaught at times. He Is very good defensively but can attack with the best of them.

I would put him ahead of Enrique in terms of talent. Obviously Enrique has Prem experience but this lad is quality.

I like the sound of this.  I haven't ever seen the lad play, but it is good to hear from people who have.  I am far from sold on Enrique, especially if he will cost anything over 10 million!  7-9 million seems about right for Enrique.  But if Izaguirre is as talented as you say he is, and we can get him for a bargain fee, then I'm all for taking the risk. 
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #42: Jun 25, 2011 05:27:50 pm

Celtic star reveals Manchester United interest

Published 15:22 25/06/11

Celtic left-back Emilio Izaguirre claims he is being targeted by Manchester United.

The 26-year-old Honduras international was a revelation last season after moving to Parkhead.

He said: "Regarding possibilities, I prefer to stay silent as I did when Celtic signed me. This is a job of my agent.

"I have to confirm it's 100% true that Manchester United were following me and were interested in me.

"It was Alex Ferguson directly who made contact with the Celtic directors.

"I am aware also that Manchester United and Celtic agreed for a meeting in July. We have to see what happens if I stay or I go.

"If I have the chance I welcome the move with open arms. If that is the case I will thank God and I will take my opportunity."

Celtic boss Neil Lennon insists there has been no approach for Izaguirre or Israel midfielder Beram Kayal.

Lennon said in the Daily Record: "You're always going to get speculation about your best players. I understand that.

"But there's been no interest expressed in Beram or Emilio and I've had no one on the telephone enquiring about any other player if it comes to that.

"Every player has his price but I'm not prepared to sell my better ones and Emilio certainly comes into that category."

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Celtic-star-Emilio-Izaguirre-reveals-Manchester-United-interest-article752381.html
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #43: Jun 25, 2011 05:30:20 pm
      Made himself look like a tit, there.

Says he prefers to stay silent, then waffles on about United and Fergie chasing him.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #44: Jun 25, 2011 05:33:24 pm
      Made himself look like a tit, there.

Says he prefers to stay silent, then waffles on about United and Fergie chasing him.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I was just about to post about that exact thing. Would prefer Enrique to him and i would prefer Clichy to Enrique so that's where i stand on the left back situation.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: Jun 25, 2011 05:35:01 pm
      First he wants to go to Barc then Utd he needs to keep his mouth shut

Quick Reply