Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Help/Advice needed.

Read 5780 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Help/Advice needed.
      Feb 22, 2011 10:47:59 am
      Hi Reds.

I have got myself into a bit of a pickle, and was after some impartial advice

I have been offered a job, as a recruitment consultant (great job/money/hours etc)

In my interview I was asked if I drive, i said yes (Stupidly) and Actually I dont drive, I am doing my test for the 6th time friday

Now what to do... The job is great money and hours and I would REALLY enjoy it......

but do I accept the job (and bloody pray I pass my test in the next 4 weeks)

or do I email honestly and say I dont have my license?

Any advice would be appreciated!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Help/Advice needed.
      Reply #1: Feb 22, 2011 11:02:52 am
      So you do drive, but you're a learner. . . See if the test centre will move you forward. Tell them you have a job that depends on it. When does the job start?
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #2: Feb 22, 2011 11:04:53 am
      So you do drive, but you're a learner. . . See if the test centre will move you forward. Tell them you have a job that depends on it. When does the job start?

Job starts in a month, and my test is booked for Friday, but IF I fail again, then it puts me in a dodgy position.

Someone suggested emailing them telling them I wasn't completely honest.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Feb 22, 2011 11:10:46 am
      Job starts in a month, and my test is booked for Friday, but IF I fail again, then it puts me in a dodgy position.

Get some pre-tests before the exam so... and don't fail ;)
      Test is this Friday?
      Have a pre-test with the centre the day before or the morning of the test if possible.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #4: Feb 22, 2011 11:11:56 am
      valid point, a lot is riding on Friday now!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Feb 22, 2011 11:15:07 am
      valid point, a lot is riding on Friday now!

No pressure, but you have a job depending on it so get your pre-test to settle your nerves
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #6: Feb 22, 2011 11:18:13 am
      Fingers crossed!
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #7: Feb 22, 2011 11:20:16 am
      How important is the driving aspect? do they provide a company car?

If there is no company car involved it shouldnt matter to much, as long as you are in sight of passing your test.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #8: Feb 22, 2011 11:21:53 am
      How important is the driving aspect? do they provide a company car?

If there is no company car involved it shouldnt matter to much, as long as you are in sight of passing your test.

There is a company pool car shared between 4. its one day a week out of the office visiting clients, but I can get there by public transport worst case scenario.

I just cant believe I was offered it, didnt think i would be in a million years! SO the lie has bitten me on the arse.

Do i put it all on Friday, or come clean now and say im not far off with obtaining my license
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Feb 22, 2011 11:25:21 am
      Tell them the truth mate.

Just say you were nervous in the interview or something then explain you do drive but but only as a learner and your hoping to pass your test Friday.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #10: Feb 22, 2011 11:29:16 am
      now how to word the email....thanks mate
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Feb 22, 2011 11:30:56 am
      Tell them the truth mate.

Just say you were nervous in the interview or something then explain you do drive but but only as a learner and your hoping to pass your test Friday.
      If the jobs not for a month then surely he has time to get the test and then make a decision based on that...
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #12: Feb 22, 2011 11:35:23 am
      Do i put it all on Friday, or come clean now and say im not far off with obtaining my license

if you cant put off telling them till Friday, you might be better off to come clean, like Blood says just say the nerves got the better of you.

As an employer I prefer for people to be upfront & honest, even if you pass your test on Friday they will know you stretched the truth when you start the job.

I wouldnt send an email your better off talking on the phone.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #13: Feb 22, 2011 11:38:16 am
      if you cant put off telling them till Friday, you might be better off to come clean, like Blood says just say the nerves got the better of you.

As an employer I prefer for people to be upfront & honest, even if you pass your test on Friday they will know you stretched the truth when you start the job.

I wouldnt send an email your better off talking on the phone.

I have been told to contact by email, I would much prefer to phone though!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,039 posts | 3963 
      Reply #14: Feb 22, 2011 11:46:37 am
      They must like the cut of you Kyle mate so thats your best bet as Venison says put your cards on the table and hope for the best.
      If you continue to blag it and it does go tits up there's nothin down for you mate so the only way is be up front, as the lads say they'll appreciate that more than anything.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #15: Feb 22, 2011 11:49:44 am
      They must like the cut of you Kyle mate so thats your best bet as Venison says put your cards on the table and hope for the best.
      If you continue to blag it and it does go tits up there's nothin down for you mate so the only way is be up front, as the lads say they'll appreciate that more than anything.

Thanks buddy - I'm composing an email now.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #16: Feb 22, 2011 11:54:52 am
      Why don't you do the test first? If you fail it then you email them explaining that you haven't got a driving license but will have soon.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #17: Feb 22, 2011 11:59:44 am
      Wait until Friday, if you pass go ahead as usual and start the job, if you fail, email them and say that you can't drive yet and see if they will postpone you starting if you can get another test soon.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #18: Feb 22, 2011 12:02:05 pm
      I have emailed - At least this way there wont be too much pressure on me

I just wanted to raise an issue with you, as I feel it would be incredibly unfair of me not to do so.

When asked in the interview if I drove, I answered yes, This was due to nerves, and how much I wanted the job. The truth of the matter is, I am learning to drive, I have failed my test on 4 Occasions now, and am doing it again on Friday, I am ready to pass, I can drive, and I will be driving a lot sooner than later (within the next 6-8 weeks for sure).

I appreciate you said a Pool car was involved with the job, and if having a driving licence is crucial to the role at this stage, I will have no choice but to decline the job offer out of respect to you and the company.

As I have stressed though, I will have my licence within the next 2 months (I am 100% certain of this), It is really just a case of when though, as there is never a guarantee you will pass your test, as it is pure pot luck.

I can drive, I am a competent driver and a safe driver, I just need to pass my test.

I REALLY do want to join the company (I have never been more certain about a job before), and I know this is a wonderful opportunity for me, to get my name out there and be part of a successful team (Which is the most important thing) It is a dream job for me.

But, I fully understand and appreciate it, if the driving is crucial at this stage, I am very willing to get to meetings by public transport until I have my licence behind me (Which will not be long)

It was certainly not my intent to stretch the truth, and I wanted to tell you this now, rather than accept the position straight away. I can assure you it is not in my nature to lie, and I was disappointed in myself for doing so, as I have probably ruined my chances of a dream job for me now.

I have spoken with management here, and they are willing to release me from my contract as early as 2 weeks notice, but I wanted to be up front and honest with you before I handed my notice in.

I hope you understand, and I fully understand if you would like to withdraw your offer to me. (I obviously hope this is not the case, but if so, thank you for the opportunity and it was a pleasure meeting with you)
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #19: Feb 22, 2011 12:08:03 pm
      Its not really pot luck about who passes there driving test. Also I wouldn't put anything about failing it 4 times in the past, if I was an employer, that would put me off. Good luck and hope they remain patient with you.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #20: Feb 22, 2011 12:11:50 pm
      When asked in the interview if I drove, I answered yes, This was due to nerves, and how much I wanted the job. The truth of the matter is, I am learning to drive, I have failed my test on 4 Occasions now, and am doing it again on Friday, I am ready to pass, I can drive, and I will be driving a lot sooner than later (within the next 6-8 weeks for sure).

I wouldn't have mentioned the failures personally but fair play for taking the honest route. I won't say who I used to work for but they took disciplinary action against someone who'd been with the company for over a year because they discovered that he lied about being able to drive in the interview, even though he passed his test weeks later. You wouldn't want that hanging over your head so you've done the right thing.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #21: Feb 22, 2011 12:12:30 pm
      Thanks all,

Just waiting for a response now!
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #22: Feb 22, 2011 12:24:02 pm
      The Response:

I do have to withdraw are offer to you.  You do need to be able to drive for this role a explained in the interview.  I have actually discounted other candidates on this basis so it would be unfair as an equal opportunities employer to offer you the role now this information has come to light.

I appreciate that you emailed me to let me know the situation and I wish you well in your future career.

kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #23: Feb 22, 2011 12:26:53 pm
      Gutted is an understatement, but oh well.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,039 posts | 3963 
      Reply #24: Feb 22, 2011 12:30:23 pm
      hard sh*t mate, get that license tho and it's onward and upward.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Feb 22, 2011 12:32:36 pm
      Gutted for you mate.
      Suppose you wont be as stressed over the test now.
      Gives you the focus to sort it out and you know that you are a good candidate if a similar job offer comes along
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #26: Feb 22, 2011 12:33:38 pm
      Thats bad luck mate. Hope you get your license and move on.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #27: Feb 22, 2011 12:45:09 pm
      Cheers Lads, a big knock, as I fookin hate my job here and its soul destroying, but what can you do! its my own fault, and lesson learned.

Need a new job soon though!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #28: Feb 22, 2011 12:53:45 pm
      Ok so you've made a mistake this time but you must have had enough going for you for them to offer you the job in the first place. Should give you confidence that you can find another job.

Besides, judging by that retard's grammar, you're too good for them ;)
      I do have to withdraw are offer to you.  You do need to be able to drive for this role a explained in the interview.  I have actually discounted other candidates on this basis so it would be unfair as an equal opportunities employer to offer you the role now this information has come to light.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #29: Feb 22, 2011 01:06:06 pm
      I wouldn't have emailed til after the test mate, if you pass on Friday you're gonna be kicking yourself that you didn't wait to send the email.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,039 posts | 3963 
      Reply #30: Feb 22, 2011 01:09:39 pm
      I wouldn't have emailed til after the test mate, if you pass on Friday you're gonna be kicking yourself that you didn't wait to send the email.
      Good thinking mate but it doesn't really affect anything, at least not where the lad is concerned if the vacancy had to be filled before the test.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #31: Feb 22, 2011 01:19:04 pm
      Good thinking mate but it doesn't really affect anything, at least not where the lad is concerned if the vacancy had to be filled before the test.

I was judging it on the following though.

If it doesn't start for another month, then 3 days wouldn't have made much difference would it?  ???
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: Feb 22, 2011 01:27:32 pm
      Ok so you've made a mistake this time but you must have had enough going for you for them to offer you the job in the first place. Should give you confidence that you can find another job.

Besides, judging by that retard's grammar, you're too good for them ;)

Saw that alright...

Kyle might have dodged the bullet on this one ;D
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #33: Feb 22, 2011 01:34:54 pm
      Thanks lads, I'm sure I'll perk up in no time! :D

oh well, What is meant to be will be.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #34: Feb 22, 2011 01:35:39 pm
      They needed a yes or no before friday.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #35: Feb 22, 2011 01:45:06 pm
      They needed a yes or no before friday.

Didn't see that bit, damn my selective reading! :(

Mate just keep looking, you'll find another one soon no doubt. :)
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #36: Feb 22, 2011 01:48:30 pm
      Fingers crossed! :)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #37: Feb 22, 2011 02:04:00 pm

Thing is though mate, he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't, with the company operating a pool scheme for company cars they would have requested to have his licence on file, the obvious give away would be the pass date and also the time frame of his new licence arriving from Swansea.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #38: Feb 22, 2011 03:53:12 pm
      Surprised they havent asked to see your licence yet  ;)
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #39: Feb 22, 2011 04:18:33 pm
      Tough call mate but, I think you did the right thing. Stick with it though, get your test passed and keep looking for another job. You'll get sorted in the end.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #40: Feb 22, 2011 05:32:21 pm
      Hard nails that mate. But judging by the reply to your email and the fact that you have to have a license and they can't just allow you to use public transport until you pass your test, tells me they're probably a bit shoddy.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #41: Feb 22, 2011 06:00:12 pm
      There is a company pool car shared between 4. its one day a week out of the office visiting clients, but I can get there by public transport worst case scenario.

Under The Disability Discrimination Act; a Company can not advertise that you have to have a driving licence if driving is not an essential part of the job - fact. One day per week is not 'essential'. Furthermore any firm must attempt to make every provision for someone who can't drive by providing them with alternative transport to carry out that portion of their job - taxis or public transport.

This info won't help you (I can't see you doing anything about your lot) but. ...it sounds to me that they have acted illegally - even if not against you personally.

Good luck Friday and in your hunt for a job.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #42: Feb 22, 2011 06:11:04 pm
      Well in to you for doing the right thing. The right job will come along and make this one seem not worth it.

Quick Reply