Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Standard Chartered Masters

Read 4015 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Standard Chartered Masters
      Feb 22, 2011 05:02:24 pm
      This sounds like fun.

Legends looking for United scalp

22nd Feb 2011 - Latest News

A team of Liverpool legends will be looking to roll back the years in the Far East next month when they launch their bid to win the 2011 Malaysian Masters, sponsored by Standard Chartered.

An all-star Liverpool squad, featuring many of the club's former favourites, will be competing against old-foes, and last year's winners, Manchester United as well as an EPL team and a combined side from Malaysia and Brunei in an attempt to regain the trophy they won in 2009.

Liverpool will include Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman, Rob Jones, Phil Babb, Stephane Henchoz, Michael Thonmas, Vladimir Smicer, Steve McMahon and Dominic Matteo in their squad for the competition, which takes place at the Bukit Jali stadium in Malaysia on March 13.

Former Red Dominic Matteo was in Malaysia earlier this month and helped launch the competition by scoring the "highest penalty kick in Malaysia", standing on the helipad next to the Doubletree by Hilton hotel.

He said: "It's a pleasure to be here in Malaysia representing the Liverpool Masters team and despite only being here a short time I can see for myself the massive support that Football gets in this country."

The competition is jointly sponsored by Liverpool Football Club main sponsor Standard Chartered and Malaysia Tourism.

Osman Morad, Managing Director and CEO of Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia Berhad spoke of his delight at the link-up. "Masters Football is a good fit with our sponsorship of Liverpool Football Club and what better way of reaching out to the fans here in Malaysia than by having such legendary Liverpool players on show."

Lining up against the Reds in the Manchester United team will be Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole, Jaap Stam and Ronnie Johnsen while Premier League legends Gianfranco Zola, Paolo Di Canio, Patrick Berger and David Seaman will be representing the EPL side.

Tickets for the tournament are on sale now and can be purchased online by clicking here and can also be purchased through FatDeal Victoria Music Centre outlets at Sungei Wang, Amcorp Mall, Tropicana City and Bangsar Shopping Complex. Prices are RM 33 per ticket, inclusive of an RM 3 ticketing charge.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Re: Standard Chartered Masters
      Reply #1: Feb 22, 2011 05:10:38 pm
      Get Paddy in our side what's he doing in EPL team.  :P
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2: Feb 22, 2011 05:15:41 pm

Bit of expensive trip Debs! ;P

I'd imagine this will be televised by LFC minimum?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #3: Feb 22, 2011 05:20:16 pm
      Strong line up that from us.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 22, 2011 05:41:29 pm
      Rob Jones! what a player he was, pisses over gary neville thats for sure.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Feb 22, 2011 07:14:13 pm
      Bit of expensive trip Debs! ;P

I'd imagine this will be televised by LFC minimum?

True mate but good for the Malaysian fans to get to see so many greats playing.

Can't see them not showing it really seeing as it's a Standard Chartered event.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Feb 22, 2011 10:59:25 pm

A team of Liverpool legends will be looking to roll back the years in the Far East next month when they launch their bid to win the 2011 Malaysian Masters, sponsored by Standard Chartered.

An all-star Liverpool squad, featuring many of the club's former favourites, will be competing against old-foes, and last year's winners, Manchester United as well as an EPL team and a combined side from Malaysia and Brunei in an attempt to regain the trophy they won in 2009.

Liverpool will include Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman, Rob Jones, Phil Babb, Stephane Henchoz, Michael Thonmas, Vladimir Smicer, Steve McMahon and Dominic Matteo in their squad for the competition, which takes place at the Bukit Jali stadium in Malaysia on March 13.

Former Red Dominic Matteo was in Malaysia earlier this month and helped launch the competition by scoring the "highest penalty kick in Malaysia", standing on the helipad next to the Doubletree by Hilton hotel.

e said: "It's a pleasure to be here in Malaysia representing the Liverpool Masters team and despite only being here a short time I can see for myself the massive support that Football gets in this country."

The competition is jointly sponsored by Liverpool Football Club main sponsor Standard Chartered and Malaysia Tourism.

Osman Morad, Managing Director and CEO of Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia Berhad spoke of his delight at the link-up. "Masters Football is a good fit with our sponsorship of Liverpool Football Club and what better way of reaching out to the fans here in Malaysia than by having such legendary Liverpool players on show."

Lining up against the Reds in the Manchester United team will be Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole, Jaap Stam and Ronnie Johnsen while Premier League legends Gianfranco Zola, Paolo Di Canio, Patrick Berger and David Seaman will be representing the EPL side.

Tickets for the tournament are on sale now and can be purchased online by clicking here and can also be purchased through FatDeal Victoria Music Centre outlets at Sungei Wang, Amcorp Mall, Tropicana City and Bangsar Shopping Complex. Prices are RM 33 per ticket, inclusive of an RM 3 ticketing charge.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/legends-looking-for-united-scalp

I should fly back now! It's only RM 33  :o
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Feb 23, 2011 11:49:32 am

e said: "It's a pleasure to be here in Malaysia representing the Liverpool Masters team and despite only being here a short time I can see for myself the massive support that Football gets in this country."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/legends-looking-for-united-scalp

I should fly back now! It's only RM 33  :o

Is that expensive Adryan?  I hope not as there's no point putting on an event like this if most people can't afford to go.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #8: Feb 23, 2011 11:50:43 am
      Rob Jones? There's a blast from the past. Mind your back, son!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #9: Feb 23, 2011 06:03:02 pm
      Is that expensive Adryan?  I hope not as there's no point putting on an event like this if most people can't afford to go.

Nope! It's like only only 6 pounds!

It's definitely because its not the 'real Liverpool team' but it would be great for any Red to watch some former players for real (and to see Manchester United lose) for that price!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Feb 23, 2011 06:11:40 pm
      Nope! It's like only only 6 pounds!

It's definitely because its not the 'real Liverpool team' but it would be great for any Red to watch some former players for real (and to see Manchester United lose) for that price!

That's good to hear, about the prices I mean.

It's going to be a good event as you say for the Reds fans in Malaysia and surrounding area.  Typical you're here studying and will miss it mate.

Quick Reply