Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Scott Carson (Villa or Man City)

Read 3940 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Scott Carson (Villa or Man City)
      Aug 09, 2007 08:42:23 am
      From todays Independent:

O'Neill and Eriksson battle for Carson loan

Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson will decide on a loan move to either Manchester City or Aston Villa after Rafael Benitez granted the England Under-21 international his wish for regular first team football.

Carson had been facing a campaign playing understudy to Jose Reina following his return from a 12-month loan deal at Charlton and manager Benitez's declaration that he must stay and compete with the Spanish international for the number one role. That hard-line stance has now softened, however, under pressure from Carson and Liverpool will today prepare for the 21-year-old's departure by signing Charles Idanja from Lens for a nominal fee.

Both City and Villa are keen to sign the Whitehaven-born keeper but Liverpool have resisted all efforts to sell him. Carson has made only nine appearances for the Anfield club in the past three seasons but Liverpool have informed Sven Goran Eriksson and Martin O'Neill, the respective managers of City and Villa, that they are now open to a season-long loan deal.

LINK

Bloody hell Rafa, make up your mind. I know absolutely sod all about this Idanja guy that we're signing, but I just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Padelli. We need quality back up for every position including the keeper, I understand this is harder as keepers don't really get rotated, but surely he could've given Carson the cup games or something to keep him happy. I know that gamble didn't pay off with Dudek in last years cups, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable doing it with Carson, who I rate as only marginally worse than Pepe.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Re: Scott Carson (Villa or Man City)
      Reply #1: Aug 09, 2007 08:59:35 am
      Big fan of Carson, I hope if he does go there is a clause that we can recall him as like you said EddieC, I havent heard anything about that French guy and not really happy of the prospect of some new guy starting in between the sticks for us! (Even tho we have the best defence in the league!) ;)
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #2: Aug 09, 2007 12:08:41 pm
      Carson really can't be a part of our long term plans.
      Unless we have like a rotating system with carson and reina splitting the games evenly......
      This is a big deliema for Rafa for the future, and, and he's taken the right direction IMO.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Reply #3: Aug 09, 2007 12:21:01 pm
      Saw this coming.  Despite Rafa's attempts to keep hold of him - you just can't rotate goalkeepers like other players.

If anything happened to Reina, our season would collapse. I personally think Carson should be told he is going nowhere and then maybe next season either Mihaylov or this other potential new guy will have improved enough to deputise for Reina and Carson can then move on.

If we let him go we have poor cover for goalkeeping.
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #4: Aug 09, 2007 12:52:29 pm
      Unless we have like a rotating system with carson and reina splitting the games evenly......

Keepers are a bit different from outfield players in the fact that they don't tend to get rotated, they get dropped. I agree with Priesty that if we do let him go on loan we should have a recall clause written in. I'm happy to have some unknown to sit on the bench, but if Pepe does get injured at all I want a good quality replacement with Premiership experience.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #5: Aug 09, 2007 01:11:16 pm
      A recall clause would be brilliant.....
      Another rumour I heard.....Man City are offering 12 milion pounds for Carson....I think we'd have to seriously consider it if its true.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #6: Aug 09, 2007 01:44:19 pm
      Yeah my mates a Man CVity fan and has been going on about Carson for a while, I'm pretty sure he reckons they have/will make a bid fo him, not the 12m you reckon but around 6m

I wouldnt sell him for that but how long can we keep him happy for??
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #7: Aug 09, 2007 01:53:24 pm
      Parry put a 12 million tag on him.

Anyway, its been confirmed he's going to Villa.
      The great thing, we're getting 2.5 million pounds just for a season loan...with NO option for a permanent move.
      Doubt there's a recall clause though.
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #8: Aug 09, 2007 01:57:37 pm
      A recall clause would be brilliant.....
      Another rumour I heard.....Man City are offering 12 milion pounds for Carson....I think we'd have to seriously consider it if its true.

If that's true they can have him. Any source for this rumour?
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #9: Aug 09, 2007 02:12:32 pm
      Ye, oops thats my bad.
      Parry put a 12 million pound tag on Carson.

Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #10: Aug 09, 2007 02:21:22 pm
      Makes me wonder if we will face him on Saturday or will we try like last season to prevent him from playing against his own side.

Kind of think that we can't prevent him from playing.

In that case better give him severe back ache!!!
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #11: Aug 09, 2007 02:24:34 pm
      On loan deals, its stipulated you can't play against your own team.

I'm still hoping there's some sort of recall clause during any time in the season.
      Unlikely though, given they paid hard cash just to secure his services on loan.
      LFC 4 LYF
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts | -1 
      Reply #12: Aug 09, 2007 03:41:42 pm
      On BBC Sports it says that Carson is going to A Villa as long as Liverpool can complete the signing of Charles Itandje (a french kepper from Lens).
      Link.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/6938522.stm

However, on Sky Sports, it says that he can go if Itandje completes his move to Liverpool by 11pm thursday, if not then Carson has to wait for at least 2 weeks because Liverpool have to register there Champions League squad for the qualifiers by 11pm.
      Link.
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2651464,00.html
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2007 03:44:49 pm by LFC 4 LYF »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6750 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Aug 10, 2007 01:56:19 am
      If that's true they can have him. Any source for this rumour?

Eddie, this was in the Mirror newspaper on the NewsNow website, I go into:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/08/09/12m-just-for-a-reserve-89520-19599178/

£12M JUST FOR A RESERVE
      FOOTBALL SPY EXCLUSIVE That's what Liverpool tell City they want for No.2 keeper Carson
      By Alan Nixon 09/08/2007
      More Football
      Have your say: Football forum

Liverpool have told Manchester City they want a staggering British record £12million for RESERVE keeper Scott Carson.

In another indication of the money madness gripping the Premier League this summer, the Anfield club slapped the astonishing price tag on Carson yesterday as Sven Goran Eriksson made a bid to sign him - either for a fee or on loan - in time to play against West Ham in the opening game on Saturday.

Carson is Eriksson's top target. City have tried to negotiate a move for the past few weeks without any joy - and they have been left reeling by the latest valuation.

Advertisement
       Even the cost of a loan fee for a year is massive, believed to be around £2.5million in rental alone - with Carson's wages on top. Liverpool's £12m rating of Carson - back from a year on loan at Charlton and now an England squad man - is £3million more than the biggest British fee for a keeper, paid by Sunderland this week for Craig Gordon from Hearts.

Carson will be stunned to find out his price. He is already concerned about his future as he will be restricted to a few games behind Rafa Benitez's first choice, Jose Reina.

The big keeper knows that a season in the shadows would cost him his place in the England squad for the European Championship.

Having listened to you guys previously though, I'm not going to take much from the article as it is in the Mirror newspaper.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #14: Aug 10, 2007 04:34:20 am
      If a scottish keeper costs 9 million (Gordon to Boro) then what quality could you get for 12mill? Carson is young, already an international and well experienced as a Prem keeper with loads of talent and plenty of potential.....by all means loan him out to keep him happy and keep his progression. He is the future...Reina is class but Carson will be there in the end so find a quality back up and move on. Any suggestions?
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 10, 2007 10:15:54 am
      The back up has already been signed,the 24yr old from Lens,who apparently was rejected by Everton last week.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #16: Aug 10, 2007 03:08:29 pm
      Thats a shame.  Thought Scott was going to try and fight for his place.

I think Reina is an immovable object from between the sticks.  Carson would have to be a super keeper to get Reina to take his place on the bench.

Unfortunately Keepers want first team football wherever they go.  I can see a permanent transfer on the cards to be completely honest. But if this is going to be the case, as JD said we will have poor cover for Goalkeeping.

Not that our younger Goalkeepers are/were as poor as that other guy we had in goal at the final game of the season, I think his name was Daniel Padelli?  Awful.

REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #17: Aug 10, 2007 03:55:51 pm
      I can see him going anywhere,we are pricing him out of the move.£13m is being quoted.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #18: Aug 10, 2007 05:10:13 pm
      Charles Itandje deal to prompt Scott Carson exit
      Aug 10 2007 by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

GOALKEEPER Charles Itandje has beaten the UEFA deadline to sign for Liverpool – paving the way for Scott Carson’s loan move to Aston Villa.

The Reds needed documents in place by 11pm last night to allow Itandje to be eligible for next week’s Champions League qualifier in Toulouse, and moved swiftly to secure the player’s registration.

But Liverpool must still get international clearance for the keeper to be involved at Villa Park tomorrow, or in France on Wednesday. That may still take a few days.

The keeper will wear number 30.

Carson will now head for Villa Park for the season, with Liverpool warning Villa they must pay a whopping £13m if they want to make the deal permanent next summer.

The England Under-21 player won’t be eligible to face the Reds, even if the move goes through today.

The Reds are far from impressed by the manner they’ve effectively been forced into allowing Carson to move on as he’s put his international ambitions top of the agenda.

But with £2.5m heading their way as for the loan deal – less than they’ve paid Lens for Itandje – the club has still conducted some profitable business.

Benitez today played down any element of risk as Itandje arrives as the new number two.

“He’s a good goalkeeper and the reports we had were good,” said Benitez. “With goalkeepers it’s always an issue of confidence, but if we need him he will good enough. He’s played over 200 games in France.”

Itandje was at Liverpool once before on trial, but at the time Gerard Houllier decided to sign Patrice Luzi instead.

Benitez said he felt he had no choice but to let Carson go as it was clear he was unhappy at the prospect of deputising for Pepe Reina.

He explained: “When I was speaking to Scott throughout the month he kept talking about needing to play and also the national team.

“I explained he is an important player for us and we don’t want to lose him, but finally we said if we could find another keeper the situation could change. The solution now is a loan deal and a new goalkeeper for us.”

Meanwhile, Sebastian Leto has now formally joined with the conclusion of his passport saga.

The youngster will wear number 33, but he too must await clearance before officially making his debut.

The Reds kick-off their campaign in the Midlands tomorrow with a clean bill of health. Only Fabio Aurelio, who is back in training, is unavailable.

Link

Doesn't sound like Rafa is too pleased with Carson then does it.
      Can't blame the lad for wanting first team football but to put your England career in front and risk your future with a massive club like us, is just silly. I want players who want to play for Liverpool - that being their first agenda!!!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Aug 10, 2007 05:37:50 pm
      So Carson has gone to Villa?! All I heard on SSN earlier was he might not be elegible to play against Liverpool tomorrow.. so I was like 'whaaaat?!' :o
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #20: Aug 10, 2007 07:37:52 pm
      Link : http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156629070810-1552.htm

Liverpool have signed French goalkeeper Charles Itandje from Lens on a four year contract in a move which has allowed Scott Carson to complete a loan deal with Aston Villa. 
      Itandje, 24, is a former French under-21 international, though his parents are from Cameroon.

The stopper began his career with Red Star 93. His single season with the capital's second side was enough to alert clubs across Europe, but it was Lens who eventually secured the teenager's signature.

He arrives at Anfield as back-up to established number one Pepe Reina and, having received the necessary international clearance, is likely to be on the bench for this weekend's big kick-off at Aston Villa.

Itandje will wear the number 30 shirt at Anfield.

Carson, meanwhile, has agreed a deal to spend this season on loan with Aston Villa in a deal which runs until May 31.

Villa beat off competition from Manchester City for Carson's signature, although the England under-21 international will not be allowed to make his debut against the Reds this weekend.

Carson, 21, has made nine first team appearances for Liverpool.

"I could tell Scott to stay here, but he could be the future keeper of the national team and we don't really want to stop his progress," said Benitez.

"I am happy with the situation and for Scott to play somewhere else. We do not want to lose him, certainly not sell him because we are very happy with him.

"He is a good lad and a very promising goalkeeper. But I can understand his need to maintain his place in the England squad. It will benefit him to be out on loan and for us to sign a new goalkeeper. Then we will have three keepers all in action." 

Well, the deal is now done and dusted.
      Liverpool have loaned out Carson for a year long loan for £2.5m and have signed a replacement keeper for less that the loan price.
      A good piece of buisness you might think.
      But, Itandje has signed a 4 year deal ?, I will be honest, I know very little about him and will reserve judgement until I've seen him play a few times, but, makes you think with the signing of Nikolay Mihaylov and the other 2/3 youth keepers we have high hopes for on our books  - what is the real future for Carson ?
      LFC runtings
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #21: Aug 11, 2007 03:29:35 am
      I've never heard of Charles Itandje  but I know Rafa and I know he only buys quality, and I think he deserves a BIG UP as he has only strengthened Carson's chances of becoming England No 1 which is a position I think he will excel in. being at Villa can only be a good thing for him as he will be their main man between the posts, as I don't think he has the quality of Pepe Yet. ''yet'' being the key word in that sentance.
      « Last Edit: Aug 11, 2007 03:33:10 am by LFC runtings »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22: Aug 11, 2007 10:26:41 am
      Itandje is gun. I saw him play last season for about a 10 game stretch and impresed me. Qualty saves and can save a penalty shot too. Im not going to lose sleep over this deal, its actually the best defensive buy we have made lately besides Agger.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #23: Aug 11, 2007 06:19:58 pm
      Topic Locked. Loan deal all done and dusted.

Quick Reply