Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Gael Clichy (Arsenal)

Read 43558 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Gael Clichy (Arsenal)
      Reply #46: Jun 09, 2011 09:37:09 pm
      I'd be happy enough with Clichy to be honest, both him and Glen up and down the wing supporting the wide men would be good fodder for Carroll.

Woah wash your mouth out! Haven't you heard he is the worst left-back in the world!!!!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #47: Jun 09, 2011 09:39:14 pm
      Not a fan. It's not just his defensive game that worries me, I just don't think he's that good going forward either. In a Baines 2 minutes youtube compilation you'll see him making more great crosses and assists than Clichy probably did in his entire career.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #48: Jun 09, 2011 09:40:44 pm
      He's ok. Has pace, but isn't the fastest thinker, seems to miss offside traps. Then again, Arsenal's defense is so sh*t they're pretty much all weak links.

I think he is exposed due to the lack of solid center halves at Arsenal.  When Vermaelen was fit and playing alongside Gallas two seasons ago, Clichy had a great year.  He can't be blamed for the shortcomings of Squillaci and Koscielny this season. 

I agree. We've talked about needing pace, well there you go. And Steve Clarke could turn Clichy into a reliable defender, I'd bet on that.

Exactly!  Leave it to Steve and Kenny to get the most out of him!  He has loads of talent!  Just needs to be put into the right system.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #49: Jun 09, 2011 09:41:17 pm
      Not a fan. It's not just his defensive game that worries me, I just don't think he's that good going forward either. In a Baines 2 minutes youtube compilation you'll see him making more great crosses and assists than Clichy probably did in his entire career.

Probably a tad harsh to judge Clichy versus Baines on crosses is it not?

Arsenal are not a 'whip the ball in' team whereas Everton are excellent in the air. I'd love Baines but I don't see the Bitter's selling for a reasonable amount.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #50: Jun 09, 2011 09:44:57 pm
      Woah wash your mouth out! Haven't you heard he is the worst left-back in the world!!!!

I'll go back to what I said in March.

we'll get linked to about 2 hundred players from now until the summer and we'll sign four or five if were lucky, I'll wait and see what happens but I'd take Clichy in a heart beat.

Hes an attacking fullback and a good one at that, regardless of what any one says.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #51: Jun 09, 2011 09:47:35 pm
      Probably a tad harsh to judge Clichy versus Baines on crosses is it not?

Arsenal are not a 'whip the ball in' team whereas Everton are excellent in the air. I'd love Baines but I don't see the Bitter's selling for a reasonable amount.

Fair enough, but they still have tall strikers such as Chamakh and Bendtner to be in the end of crosses but Clichy rarely supplies them with good ones. I was seeing some statistics to base my opinion and there were seasons in which he played 40 games without not even one single assist. Last season he made just one.

Is it really a "great" player going forward? Can't see it myself.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #52: Jun 09, 2011 09:48:17 pm
      I'll go back to what I said in March.

Hes an attacking fullback and a good one at that, regardless of what any one says.

Was being sarky.

I wouldn't mind him either. Just amazed at the negative reaction on here, actually I don't know I'm suprised.

From whenever I've watched Arsenal, admittedly not that much since being away from home, he has been good. Always rated him, don't know when he was meant to have turned 'sh*te'
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #53: Jun 09, 2011 09:49:15 pm
      I've always liked Clichy. Thought he should be in the France squad ahead of Evra, as he's a fullback I've always rated extremely highly.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #54: Jun 09, 2011 09:50:42 pm
      Fair enough, but they still have tall strikers such as Chamakh and Bendtner to be in the end of crosses but Clichy rarely supplies them with good ones. I was seeing some statistics to base my opinion and there were seasons in which he played 40 games without not even one single assist. Last season he made just one.

Yeah but how much of that is down to Wenger telling him not to cross it in and how much is it Clichy's inability to do so? I think thats what is most important.

If he is going forward and cutting the ball back then it doesn't mean he can't cross necessarily, it may mean he is just in team where he is expected not to.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #55: Jun 09, 2011 09:51:15 pm
      Shame he can't really defend all that well, but decent going forward, hopefully if we get him, Clarke can iron out the creases.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #56: Jun 09, 2011 09:51:16 pm

I know ya was mate, I'd seen your comments in twitter thread. ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #57: Jun 09, 2011 09:51:18 pm
      I'd take him before Enrique.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,397 posts | 2823 
      Reply #58: Jun 09, 2011 09:51:31 pm

Apart from being quicker, he is just a poor version of Glen Johnson at LB.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #59: Jun 09, 2011 09:53:26 pm
      Hes a liability at the back, cannot tackle his breakfast, is often caught out with his positioning.  He is also worse than average at anything going forward other than his pace.

He's one of those players who gets the fans off their chairs when he breaks down the left, only for your excitement to be pissed on when he attempts to cross the ball.

In all honesty I find him annoying to watch.

If he comes here though, then of course I will hope he proves me wrong and Kenny right.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2842 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #60: Jun 09, 2011 09:53:49 pm

This

And Koncheskey!!

Id be happy to have him. Let the boys work on his defensive game going forward hes no mug
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #61: Jun 09, 2011 09:54:20 pm
      Could be good, definitely worth it for less than 8 million, though form is an issue... in the end it's up to Kenny and Comolli I'll let them decide
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #62: Jun 09, 2011 09:54:32 pm
      Coming from @ArsenalColumn on twitter - says Clichy is one of the best one-on-one defenders around but when he's caught in space, that's where he has problems.

Seems like something Steve Clarke could hammer out.

I like him. I'd take him here.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #63: Jun 09, 2011 09:55:14 pm

He actually is great at going forward and you can't expect Clichy to whip crosses into the box and make loads of assists at Arsenal, that's not how they play.

They like to hold onto the ball when in attack and probe the opposition and look for an opening which normally ends up with the fullbacks dropping back as the midfield is camped inside the oppositions half looking to score the "Perfect Goal".

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #64: Jun 09, 2011 09:56:20 pm
      Yeah but how much of that is down to Wenger telling him not to cross it in and how much is it Clichy's inability to do so? I think thats what is most important.

If he is going forward and cutting the ball back then it doesn't mean he can't cross necessarily, it may mean he is just in team where he is expected not to.

Just because Arsenal play a good passing game it doesn't mean they don't cross the ball... cause they do! And none of their fullbacks are exactly good at it, both Sagna and Clichy are average at best in this aspect.

Anyway, for a player supposed to be so good going forward, one would expect more attacking productivity.

I wouldn't be kicking myself if we signed him, I just don't think he's that good, he's quick and has some skill on him, but I think he's not exactly a smart player and his end product isn't anything special.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #65: Jun 09, 2011 09:58:18 pm
      He actually is great at going forward and you can't expect Clichy to whip crosses into the box and make loads of assists at Arsenal, that's not how they play.

They like to hold onto the ball when in attack and probe the opposition and look for an opening which normally ends up with the fullbacks dropping back as the midfield is camped inside the oppositions half looking to score the "Perfect Goal".

I know mate, but that's also exaggerating the theory behind the Arsenal passing game, cause watching their games we see their fullbacks crossing quite a few times. I have a few friends who are Arsenal fans and I recall them complaining about Sagna crossing nearly every week.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #66: Jun 09, 2011 10:09:11 pm
      I know mate, but that's also exaggerating the theory behind the Arsenal passing game, cause watching their games we see their fullbacks crossing quite a few times. I have a few friends who are Arsenal fans and I recall them complaining about Sagna crossing nearly every week.

I don't doubt they do get forward at times and whip balls into the box as Ive seen it with my own eyes, but then again I've probably seen Sagna and Clichy get to the by line and play an intricate pass just as many if not more times .

We all know about Arsenal trying to score the perfect goal they do it week in and week out and quite a few times last season to their own detriment.

But to write Clichy off as a poor defender and poor crosser is far from the truth IMO, he may not be world class, but hes a solid dependable attacking fullback, who'm like I said along with Glen and two wingers would provide the perfect fodder for Andy Carroll.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #67: Jun 09, 2011 10:13:25 pm
      I'd prefer Cissoko all day long, but if we get him at the price quoted its a very good deal
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #68: Jun 09, 2011 10:14:54 pm
      I haven't rated him as the best in the league ever, or the top 3 even in the league. I won't start rating him just beacuse we are linked with him either. But for £5million, he could prove to be a bit of a bargain, especially as it is involving 2 EPL teams.

He is only 25 too, so he has time to learn, not a lot of time, but he still has some. I have faith in Clarke to help him. Just look at how much Glen Johnson improved under him and that was out of position. Even Flanno did it.

He has pace, and has played for a top 4 team now for 5 seasons, so he must be doing something write. I'd go for it.

Quick Reply