Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Discussion: Is LFC being out of Europe next year a blessing in disguise?

Read 10350 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Re: Discussion: Is LFC being out of Europe next year a blessing in disguise?
      Reply #23: Mar 19, 2011 11:05:30 am
      I'd like to be in Europe no matter what but the harsh reality is that it may be out of our reach this year. So if we don't make it we can concentrate on winning the league and go back to where we belong by qualifying for champions league.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #24: Mar 19, 2011 11:22:40 am
      I certainly don't want to see us not in Europe - Champions League or Europa League but considering we're unlikely to have it, it may be a blessing but it's not like I don't rate the competition at all and would throw it away if we're in it.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #25: Mar 19, 2011 11:25:40 am
      Absolutley not. How can we possibly attract word class players if we can't offer them European football.

If the players are stupid enough to think we won't ever back get back into a European competition, then they can piss off.

Obviously i want us to play in Europe, its another trophy to win. However whatever happens, happens for a reason. There's nothing we can do if we don't succeed this season, we just weren't good enough and we've got to accept that.

Hopefully it will just make the players more determined next season to rectify their mistakes.

But hey we're not out of Europe just yet, we can't give up.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #26: Mar 19, 2011 11:41:36 am
      The most damaging aspect is a financial one whether it be the Champions League or the Europa cup, the loss of the millions involved will be a blow for the club and it's sponsors.
      On the question of top flight players qualification for Europe for some is a criterea before they will even consider joining a club but to be honest we need people who appreciate the history and traditions of LFC and are willing to give their all to put the club back where it belongs.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #27: Mar 19, 2011 12:50:49 pm
      Don't mind skipping a season in the europa league if it means keeping players fresh for a season. The likes of stevie and carra who are getting on can have more of a rest, it will definately benefit us domestically.

Might slightly damage us when it comes to attracting players this summer maybe, but if we do sign a handfull of great players then i think missing the europa league next season will do us a world of good.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #28: Mar 19, 2011 04:22:13 pm
      Don't mind skipping a season in the europa league if it means keeping players fresh for a season. The likes of stevie and carra who are getting on can have more of a rest, it will definately benefit us domestically.

Might slightly damage us when it comes to attracting players this summer maybe, but if we do sign a handfull of great players then i think missing the europa league next season will do us a world of good.
      True enough mate Stevie and Carra have seen many summers and the less frantic the season the better as far as they are concerned.
      That statement does highlight one of the problems we face i.e. the lack of adequate back up and strength in depth.
      Stevie's injuries are becoming more frequent and the time out longer, Jamie's role is physically less demanding but he definitely has seen better days.
      Both men will be finished in 2 years, 3 max and the fact that quality replacements are not in place is worrying, let's hope our new owners can remedy the problem.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #29: Mar 19, 2011 04:33:33 pm
      I can see the arguments about it allowing us to focus on the league, but you've got to consider that we will find it much harder to attract the top top class players we need to allow us to mount a title challenge if we are not in Europe.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #30: Mar 20, 2011 03:50:46 am
      Without European football we may just see players that want to be here instead of using us to put themselves in the shop window for other clubs
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #31: Mar 20, 2011 12:22:52 pm
      European football is part of this club,we are royalty in europe,this club needs european football in one form or another,cast your mind back when we were banned from european competitions it had an detrimental affect on the club.

European football is a must.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #32: Mar 20, 2011 12:27:37 pm
      Bit premature this, no?
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #33: Mar 20, 2011 12:28:52 pm

That's what she said.

Sorry couldn't resist, but yeah I'd say it is.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #34: Mar 20, 2011 12:46:08 pm
      7 points behind Spurs when they have Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal to play. Man City and Chelsea are away too.

We have Arsenal away and then City at home.

And then there is of course us playing Spurs at Anfield.

And of course they are in the Champions League too.

If we win today, the race for fifth is still very much on.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #35: Mar 20, 2011 12:47:07 pm
      No, sadly players today are more interested in playing in Europe than in the prem (unless you have a real chance of winning it). We have a lot to prove before we can attract top players on our league form, so we need European football to add to our name if we are to attract the best.

I know that it may seem better to some to concentrate on the league, but unless you bring in the right players it won't make a damn bit of difference, and you need European football to GET the right players.

I also don't want our best players leaving or acting as if they are doing us a big favour by staying.I want players who want to be at this club, but nowerdays that just means money, success and Europe. 

I think we can and will get a place, but if we don't it will cost us much more to attract the best players and we will still struggle to attract the top players who will go elsewhere if given half a chance.

Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #36: Mar 20, 2011 12:55:28 pm
      It will have its positives and negatives. It could work out to be a good thing as it will allow whoever is manager time to  build and focus on getting us back up the league. However, it could turn out to be a negative as, how on earth will we attract some of the world-class players who want to play in Europe.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #37: Mar 20, 2011 01:24:04 pm
      We're not out of Europe yet.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #38: Mar 21, 2011 02:30:38 pm
      The most damaging aspect is a financial one whether it be the Champions League or the Europa cup, the loss of the millions involved will be a blow for the club and it's sponsors.
      On the question of top flight players qualification for Europe for some is a criterea before they will even consider joining a club but to be honest we need people who appreciate the history and traditions of LFC and are willing to give their all to put the club back where it belongs.

Agree with most of what you say Stu.

We are Liverpool.

There are players who will come because of the history, the potential, the new players that have just come in and the manager.

Things that quite frankly other clubs cant offer, who are outside of a CL place.

The Europa? Peanuts compared to the CL coffers.

No distractions. No midweek matches to get over. Our focus is to get back into the top four, push aside the Totting Ham pretenders (are you listening "Legs" Crouch) and consolidate our recovery from the dark days of 2010.

Back to the Champions League Big Table.

Come the Revolution we will all be there... September 2012.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #39: Mar 21, 2011 02:31:26 pm
      We're not out of Europe next year yet.
      It's a long shot, but it's not impossible
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #40: Mar 21, 2011 03:15:28 pm
      We're not out of Europe next year yet.
      It's a long shot, but it's not impossible

This.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #41: Mar 21, 2011 03:26:26 pm
      I really think Man City are there for the taking and we can catch them, if Tottenham progress in the champions legue we could catch them too, it's going to be intresting.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #42: Mar 21, 2011 03:43:19 pm
      IF we fail to make Europe for next season, it might not be such a bad thing.

I think everyone here would agree that although KK has done wonders with the players we currently have, we are in need of some pretty big changes in some departments, as we are too inconsistent from week to week. New players have to be brought in, in the summer.

Having a bit of a break from European games for one season would give us more time to work with new players and formations, without the players (hopefully) becoming too exhausted and being under too much pressure.

As for the argument that us not being in Europe next season would put some players off, I have no doubt that this would be the case with some players but, I think they would be in a minority and is that the kind of people we want to attract anyway? Surely we want players who will stick with us through thick & thin.

We are still a big club and I think we will have little or no problem attracting some top class players, European football or not. Hopefully, they will be able to see that we are undergoing a rebuilding process and with the progression we have made since KK took charge, along with our new owners actually investing in the club, this will be enough to attract the best.

And anyway, who wouldn't want to play alongside Saurez?  ;D

As they say. Rome wasn't built in a day. So it might be beneficial to take things one step at a time.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #43: Mar 21, 2011 03:48:27 pm
      For me its champs league or nothing.  The Europa just isnt appealing.

If i was a player i would rather not play in it, just because of the hassle.

when we won it in 2001 that will never be, for me, an amazing piece of history.  A brilliant victory yes, and a good night after.  But its never one of those bragging rights cups.

In Gerrards words, its the ugly brother of the Champions League.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #44: Mar 21, 2011 03:57:19 pm
      I never look forward to the Europa.

We play second string teams in the group, away games end 0-0 and the atmosphere is sh*te at Anfield.

It distracts us in the league and I would rather solely concentrate on trying to get 4th next season than juggling between a competition that if we win, I would not like to brag about.

redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,133 posts | 127 
      Reply #45: Mar 21, 2011 04:19:32 pm
      Even KK said in an interview before the Braga game that Liverpool were synonymous with European football, so I'd hate for that to change now.
      Plus it would give KK valued experience, which he unfortunately showed lack of, in his Euro games so far.

Quick Reply