Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay article

Read 7464 times
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay article
      Mar 24, 2011 10:58:14 am
      I can't post this as an article or link as you have to pay for Times online. But reading the Times today on the backpage there is an article from two trusted journalists Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay, Barrett is especially good on Liverpool. I'll take the main points of it;

'Liverpool are preparing for an end of season transfer tassle with Manchester United after identifying Ashely Young as their leading target for an extensive summer rebuilding program'

'Gary Cahill, Charlie Adam and Matt Jarvis also feature on Kenny Dalglish's list of targets'

'However, with Young having made it clear that he will not sign a contract extension at Villa park, which expires at the end of the season, the midlands club are all but resigned to seeling him in the summer.

'but Young has suggested to his team-mates that he would be intrested in joining Liverpool even if they do not qualify for European football next season'

Intresting stuff that. I would be pleased to sign all of them and a left back.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay article
      Reply #1: Mar 24, 2011 11:15:42 am
      Dunno better players out there, you could be talking about £50 million plus on them players because they are British and to be honest don't think any of them are top class.

Don't think we would compete for the title next season if they were our signings.Would be happy enough with Young for £12 million though
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2: Mar 24, 2011 11:19:32 am
      They would all be very welcome additions to the squad though, but I also feel we would need to strengthen in defense and defensive midfield.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #3: Mar 24, 2011 11:19:52 am
      Dunno better players out there, you could be talking about £50 million plus on them players because they are British and to be honest don't think any of them are top class.

Don't think we would compete for the title next season if they were our signings.Would be happy enough with Young for £12 million though
      I think Young and Cahill are top class, Adam and Jarvis would add depth, come on mate who you rather we had to come on in a game, Adam and Jarvis or Ngog and Poulsen.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Mar 24, 2011 11:22:03 am
      I think Young and Cahill are top class, Adam and Jarvis would add depth, come on mate who you rather we had to come on in a game, Adam and Jarvis or Ngog and Poulsen.

Thats not really the point.

We should be looking for the best players we can possibly find to join our club. If they happen to be Jarvis and Adam then fair enough.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #5: Mar 24, 2011 11:23:35 am
      Wouldn't call Cahill top class, think he is decent at best but because he is British he becomes highly rated like Lescott at Everton. He will cost similar to what Luiz cost and he is no where near the same quality.

To be honest red I don't want to spunk the £50 million on them 4 to make our squad better with that sort of money I want proven quality not people like Adam and Jarvis who are the flavour of the month at the moment who you probably have to pay £20 plus million on to get.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Mar 24, 2011 12:26:52 pm
      Wouldn't call Cahill top class, think he is decent at best but because he is British he becomes highly rated like Lescott at Everton. He will cost similar to what Luiz cost and he is no where near the same quality.

To be honest red I don't want to spunk the £50 million on them 4 to make our squad better with that sort of money I want proven quality not people like Adam and Jarvis who are the flavour of the month at the moment who you probably have to pay £20 plus million on to get.

I agree with what you are saying with most of that but one thing that i never knew is that September to March was all one month? Adam has been consistent throughout the season, been one of the best players in the league so far this season so i wouldn't really consider him flavour of the month to be fair. The lad has more than earned his plaudits.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Mar 24, 2011 12:30:04 pm
      There are many better players in the world than Charlie Adam, yes he is a very good player, but can he handle the big pressure playing for Liverpool. He will be far more likely to be forgiven for not tracking back for Blackpool, than he would for Adam.

Adam would need to work on his fitness before becoming Liverpool standard IMO, undoubtedly his abilty on the ball is there.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Mar 24, 2011 01:13:55 pm
      On ething I will say is Kenny has a knack for building title winning teams using British Isle players, Blackburn really on had Henning Berg as a first teamer under kenny's tenure the rest were British Isles players, Jason Wilcox wasnt the best winger around nor was Stuart Ripley but they done their Jobs well, Batty and Sherwood wernt the best midfielders around but they done their job well, Colin Hendry and Ian pearce wernt the best central defence pairing around but they done their job well.

I was looking at some stats just for daftness the other day, trying to get a grip of how Nesv my apply their moneyball approach to transfers and Chris Brunt came up as a good potential transfer as up until January this year he created the most chances of any premier league player and I'm not talking assists, it took into account every chance he had created wether they were converted or not.

So maybe they are applying their moneyball strategy to select players ?

Who knows ? ;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Mar 24, 2011 01:16:40 pm
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #10: Mar 24, 2011 01:33:58 pm
      Because Kenny is doing it the Liverpool way and keeping everything under wraps, how does anyone know what his list is?? heresay.
      Barrett will have some idea, from what I understand he is very well connected. Why not send him an email complaining about it?

Barrett will be basing this on what he's heard, it's speculation, but what I'm saying is there could be some foundation to the speculation.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: Mar 24, 2011 03:09:08 pm
      Be surprised if we sign more than 2 players on that list, don't expect us to sign Cahill or Jarvis to honest(you'd proably sign Turan for the same price you'd sign Jarvis).

I think the most likely signing on that list is Adam, who to be honest I don't think is a real priority and who I have my doubts would be a success in a team not built around him.

We need a M'Vila or a Diarra for midfield. I'd be gutted if we spent £50 million on them 4 players
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Mar 24, 2011 03:12:21 pm

I agree he's not as good as David Luiz but do you really think he would cost more than £20M? I thought he would be available for around £10M.

I like all the names mentioned, but I agree it would depend on the money to be spent. I would love to have a player like A. Young in our team and Jarvis has been impressive, but I definitely don't watch Wolves as much as have watched Aston Villa in the last years so it's harder to judge.

As for Charlie Adam, I don't think there are better players available for the kind of money required to take him away from Blackpool - he wants to leave, he'll only have 1 year left in his contract, Blackpool can't afford refusing a good offer. A player of his passing ability and creativity for perhaps less than £10M is a steal.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #13: Mar 24, 2011 03:19:14 pm
      Especially if Blackpool get relageted, we could get him fairly cheap then, just need to outbid Spurs.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #14: Mar 24, 2011 03:25:11 pm
      Corbally sometimes I think you don't rate players just because they play teams like 'Wigan, Blackpool or Wolves' that's not the attitude to have.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #15: Mar 24, 2011 03:28:03 pm
      Charlie Adam will go for around £10 million, they are talking about Cahill for £20 million because of Arsenal interest, Ashley should cost max £15 million because of the length of his contract and Jarvis due to being the flavour of the month with his England call up could cost up to £15 million.

So I think we could be talking about close to £60 million for the 4 and that is exactly why I would buy British players they are massively over priced and if there is £60 million to spend I expect it to be spent on better quality and for us to compete for the title next season.

I don't think barring maybe Ashley Young they would make that much difference to our starting 11. I want Suarez type signings, top class players not gambles for that sort of money, fairly obvious the quality of Suarez as it was with Luiz for Chelsea.

I'd actually be in favour of no British signings at all. I bet reds if you check my record on here with signings over the last 2 and a half years you might be very surprised, I called a hell of a lot of them.

I don't think some people on here realise the step of up from being a star at a small club to being just another cog at a big club.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #16: Mar 24, 2011 03:29:01 pm
      Yes but we need depth Corbally, that was the big thing that came out the Braga games.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #17: Mar 24, 2011 03:31:02 pm
      Like the sound of Cahill and Adams but not Young. I think Adams could do a job similar to what Steve Mcmahon brought to us (dertermination, grit and could play a bit!).
      I dunno, I don't think Adams could come out of retirement at 44 and switch to midfield, could be wrong though.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: Mar 24, 2011 03:32:26 pm
      So what we spend £50 million f**king plus on adding depth, f**k that for that money you could buy 2 Suarez style signings as long as you don't buy British players, our young players will also be a year older and I expect to see some of them next season, Wisdom and Sterling being examples.

Adam and McMahon should never be compared they are completely different midfielders, Adam can't run for starters and if your playing him for the defensive side of the game we will be in serious trouble
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #19: Mar 24, 2011 03:35:03 pm
      No, Cahill 15, Jarvis 10, Adam 5/10.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #20: Mar 24, 2011 03:36:24 pm
      Like the idea of signing premiership players rather than foreign lads who have never kicked a ball in england or prospects who are meant to be the next messi but never are, but out of the 4 players I would only take Ashley Young as a certainty. He is pure class. Id take Adam at the right price.

Not very fussed on either Jarvis or Cahill. Both over rated IMO.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #21: Mar 24, 2011 03:39:12 pm
      Young, Marveux and Jarvis would give us plenty of depth on the wing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #22: Mar 24, 2011 03:40:54 pm
      I'll bet you now that all the players mentioned go for higher prices except Adam who will go for £10 million.

Buying British is a disaster while I'm delighted to have Carroll his price tag says it all as well as the British players City bought, ie Milner and Lescott.

The players mentioned would not make that much difference to the starting 11 barring maybe Young.

Might get hammered for this but don't think there is much between Skrtel and Cahill and would bet if Skrtel was English and playing with Bolton the talk would be about Skrtel.

Also I think over time Kuyt will provide more assists and goal then Jarvis from the right side.

So Carroll did you not like the signing of Suarez would you not like the signing of Luiz, buying British is a stupid F***ing policy who only manager of the calibre of Hodgson think it will be a success

Where will Adam play because he will be competing with Raul and Gerrard for a place because he is not a defensive midfielder and cannot play the role Lucas does
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #23: Mar 24, 2011 03:48:00 pm
      Well you and I disagree on the holding type position anyway Corbally, I think Adam Raul and Stevie could all play in the same team together and Im sure Kenny does too which is why he wanted to sign the lad.

Also, Id love to see british lads here definately but im not saying its a must or the right way to go. Signing players who have played in the premiership though is, in my opinion.

Yes suarez looks like a top signing corbally, there have been several others too, torres for example, but I could name just as many who have come here and have been a massive flop.

Way to go is to let other clubs take the gamble on foreign lads and if they are a success here then we step in and steal them basically. Thats my take on things.

Back on topic though, young and adam would be good signings IMO and would offer us something. Cahill and Jarvis arent good enough though IMO

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #24: Mar 24, 2011 03:51:52 pm
      The way I see it is this:

Jarvis and Young ARE better than Kuyt and Maxi on the wings.

Adam would be competing with Gerrard, Raul and Shelvey for a starting place, and IMO we will be looking at a fee closer to £6M than £10M

Gary Cahill is over priced at £25M, and for that price I would steer clear. He is worth £15M tops.

I would sign all of them except Cahill at those prices, though if NESV don't see money as an issue then let them spend whatever the F**k they like as long as quality is brought into the club.

We seem to be in sell to buy mode still, always trying to count the pennies up.

Its not our money. If NESV/Commoli/Kenny want Gary Cahill at £30M for example then that is their business.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #25: Mar 24, 2011 03:56:37 pm
      Ya Carroll I don't think that midfield would be good enough, every successful team in the World plays with a defensive midfielder whether or international or club so dunno how you think that would be a success. People on here know I'm no bug fan of Lucas but I'd prefer to see him in our midfielder ahead of Adam because of balance.

Carroll I could go into the top 20 best players in the last 15 years in the Premiership and do you know what most of them will be foreign. Buy British is a joke that will not bring success and I hope it has disappeared with Hodgson.

Will we step in and steal Luiz what for maybe £50 million, that would be an absolute ridiculous policy if they are a success at an English club there value will at least double like Torres. Sure what the f**k have we people scouting other leagues for then

I wouldn't buy Jarvis unless he was offered to the club for £5 million, another Pennant is what he is as someone said yesterday without the attitude, our targets should be much higher

I think if we blew £50 million plus on the players mentioned we would not compete for the league next season but if we spent it more wisely we would

I don't care if the player has played in the Premiership or not, if he is quality he is quality like Suarez, if you asked me before we signed him I'd have taken him ahead of nearly any Premiership striker if you don't believe me check what I said about him in his transfer thread
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #26: Mar 24, 2011 04:05:30 pm
      I could sit here and do the same thing corbally, crespo, morientes, veron, shevchenko etc etc.

We could discuss the amount of flops liverpool have had in recent seasons by signing mostly foreign lads or lads who are no more than a prospect.

So personally, id like to see premiership players in but im actually agreeing with you here that neither jarvis or cahill fit the bill. Young and Adam would offer us something though IMO. If you disagree thats fine, but Young has been argueably the best winger in the prem for two season and Adam has argueably been the prems player of the season.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #27: Mar 24, 2011 04:07:45 pm
      That was another focal point of the article, Kenny wants proven premier league players.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #28: Mar 24, 2011 04:13:43 pm
      That is what Comoli is getting paid so highly for to scout players worldwide, by the way do you think it is just foreign players that have flopped, around the same time Chelsea bought Crespo they also paid £23 million for Shaun Wright Phillps.

Liverpool have bought there fair few of British flops as well, you don't want me going into that.

I don't care where players have played as like Suarez they are sufficiently talented. Would you not like to sign most of the Barc or Real teams

I'd personally only sign Young out of that group and only for a reasonable fee
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #29: Mar 24, 2011 04:17:31 pm
      SWP was pretty good there though.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #30: Mar 24, 2011 04:18:01 pm
      You are joking are you reds
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #31: Mar 24, 2011 04:20:50 pm
      I could sit here and do the same thing corbally, crespo, morientes, veron, shevchenko etc etc.

We could discuss the amount of flops liverpool have had in recent seasons by signing mostly foreign lads or lads who are no more than a prospect.

So personally, id like to see premiership players in but im actually agreeing with you here that neither jarvis or cahill fit the bill. Young and Adam would offer us something though IMO. If you disagree thats fine, but Young has been argueably the best winger in the prem for two season and Adam has argueably been the prems player of the season.

That's not true. Maybe in the 2007/2008 season he was up their with th best but he's been poor last 2 seasons.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #32: Mar 24, 2011 04:24:21 pm
      He featured fairly reguarly in a league winning side.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Mar 24, 2011 04:25:51 pm
      Charlie Adam will go for around £10 million, they are talking about Cahill for £20 million because of Arsenal interest, Ashley should cost max £15 million because of the length of his contract and Jarvis due to being the flavour of the month with his England call up could cost up to £15 million.

So I think we could be talking about close to £60 million for the 4 and that is exactly why I would buy British players they are massively over priced and if there is £60 million to spend I expect it to be spent on better quality and for us to compete for the title next season.

I don't think barring maybe Ashley Young they would make that much difference to our starting 11. I want Suarez type signings, top class players not gambles for that sort of money, fairly obvious the quality of Suarez as it was with Luiz for Chelsea.

I'd actually be in favour of no British signings at all. I bet reds if you check my record on here with signings over the last 2 and a half years you might be very surprised, I called a hell of a lot of them.

I don't think some people on here realise the step of up from being a star at a small club to being just another cog at a big club.

I know what you're saying and I partially agree with you, those 4 wouldn't be my top targets either.

I agree we shouldn't be taking gambles but I don't think we have money to buy the very best for all the positions we need to strengthen (that being the wings, left back, midfield, center back, another striker perhaps etc). So we have to set the priorities.

For example, I don't want any cut prices signings for the wing - that position has been our biggest problem in the last few years and I want a proper 'answer', someone who have immediate impact.

On the other hand, I could take one in other positions where we're only looking to add depth to build a proper squad. That's why I'm 100% in favor of getting Charlie Adam. I can't think of any other player with his quality to come for £10M at most, and he would add something we don't have in our squad at the moment.

I would never pay £20M for Gary Cahill though. Nor £15M for Jarvis. I would accept Young for that money though.

As for the step from smaller clubs to Liverpool, I agree it's a big one but you seem to think NO player from small clubs are worth any money AT ALL. And that's obviously not true.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #34: Mar 24, 2011 04:26:54 pm
      Who said Jarvis will go for 15 million though if Wolves go down it could be more like 8.
      « Last Edit: Mar 24, 2011 04:37:02 pm by thereds13 »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: Mar 24, 2011 04:29:17 pm
      Reds I'm enjoying debating with you but when you start to tell me SWP did well at Chelsea I'm starting to wonder are you on a piss take, none of the players mentioned should be first choice barring maybe Young saying that I'd take Adam Johnson ahead of him
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36: Mar 24, 2011 04:38:50 pm
      Did you want Adam Johnson when he was at small Middlesbrough though?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #37: Mar 24, 2011 04:39:01 pm
      Reds I'm enjoying debating with you but when you start to tell me SWP did well at Chelsea I'm starting to wonder are you on a piss take, none of the players mentioned should be first choice barring maybe Young saying that I'd take Adam Johnson ahead of him
      I never said they should be first choice mate but compare having Poulsen, Ngog and Cole(with the way he's playing, as I still harbour hopes he will sort himself out)on the bench to having people like Jarvis and Adam. All I was saying was SWP was part of a title winning side.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #38: Mar 24, 2011 04:40:04 pm
      Jarvis - third best winger this season after Bale and Nani. Would not say no at all to him, brilliant little player.

Cahill - Rate him very highly to be honest, had a cracking season and him and Agger would be unstoppable.

Young - Brings a hell of a lot of pace, a good cross and some much needed ability to beat a man (only Suarez has that in this squad)

Adam - Getting better and better in the Premiership, not just decent form for a month or two. Gives us another source of creativity and as has been mentioned, he has outperformed probably every central midfielder in the country bar Modric and Nasri.

I'd take all four in a heartbeat to be honest, judging them on footballing ability alone (not nationality, what club they come from, their cost) they would significantly improve our chances of qualifying for the CL next year which is the immediate objective for next season.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #39: Mar 24, 2011 04:41:38 pm
      I agree Chats +1.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #40: Mar 24, 2011 04:43:07 pm
      Ya always thought he was a good player contrary to what people believe if I think a lad at a smaller club is good enough I say it.

What I don't do though is rave about a lad if he is doing good at a smaller club where the tactics or set up maybe based around him like if I'm being honest a Charlie Adam.

Players like Pennant are like Jarvis excellant at Birmingham when they were fighting relegation, pacy, could beat a man and get in a cross exactly like Jarvis doesn't mean I think he is good enough for where the club is going. Like a few players at smaller clubs.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #41: Mar 24, 2011 04:48:31 pm
      What I don't do though is rave about a lad if he is doing good at a smaller club where the tactics or set up maybe based around him like if I'm being honest a Charlie Adam.

Wasn't it exactly the same for Andy Carroll?

Not every single player comes from a big club, they start somewhere else. Just because Charlie Adam is bossing at Blackpool doesn't mean he can't boss it for us. If I'm totally honest I'd have Adam over Meireles every day of the week because they've both had the same amount of time in the Premiership but Adam has been far more consistent.

Jarvis is brilliant at Wolves, with supply from the middle in the form of Gerrard, Adam and Lucas why can't he continue to beat his full back and whip a ball in for Andy Carroll?

Cahill is excellent for Bolton so why can't he form a partnership with the best footballing centre back in the league?

Your argument makes no sense to be quite honest.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #42: Mar 24, 2011 04:50:57 pm
      Well I do believe in you but I can't ever recall you saying a lad from a small English club is worth anything, though I do see you wanting players from small French clubs, that's why I asked.

As for the Jarvis comparison, I know what you're saying, but wouldn't you have Pennant in your squad though? I know I would. I actually thought he was a pretty good player, the problem being his sh*t attitude, as he was too stupid to grow as a player (capable of making the same mistakes over and over again, never shooting, always crossing even if there's no one to cross the ball for). Definitely not for £15M though, so I would stay away from Jarvis as well.  

I know we're all aiming for better, bigger things, but we're not going to buy 5 world class players in one transfer window so we have to be realistic too.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #43: Mar 24, 2011 04:59:06 pm
      I disagree with you, how has does my argument make no sense, it is opinion, my opinion is I think the signing of them 4 players for £50 milion plus would not improve our first 11 by much and I bet I would have had the same argument with you when we signed Pennant chats or when I rubbished the signings of Dossena, Keane, Riera etc.

Even though it is a game of opinion, I think I've called it pretty right on players on here we have signed over the last few years whether people want to admit it our not. Thought Cole would be better though if I'm being honest.

I think Adam would flop at Liverpool no one can tell me I'm wrong until we sign him and see.

Signings like the players mentioned will not convince Reina to stay
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #44: Mar 24, 2011 05:00:52 pm
      Riera and Pennant are two players who showed flashes of ability but never really kicked on.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: Mar 24, 2011 05:03:37 pm
      Never good enough, had seen Riera playing and wasn't really a fan remember Graham Hunter saying he would have been a good signing for Villa not us. We should never have signed Pennant
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #46: Mar 24, 2011 05:20:51 pm
      Signings like the players mentioned will not convince Reina to stay

That part is laughable. I do not want Liverpool Football Club buying players to convince others to stay. We had this whole saga with Torres. Reina should stay because he wants to bring Liverpool back to it's true position at the summit of English football, not because we signed so and so.

As for the rest of your post, fair enough I can't say you are wrong but I certainly feel that the fact some players play for weaker clubs influences your decisions.

I watch the games and I feel on footballing ability Cahill, Adam, Young and Jarvis would significantly improve us and if we had all four this season we probably would be in the top four.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #47: Mar 24, 2011 05:29:07 pm
      I think Pennant was far better than Riera, if he wasn't so stupid and lazy he could of been a very useful player. He actually offered us something different, with pace and skill, capable of making a difference in a game, something Riera rarely did.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #48: Mar 24, 2011 05:35:48 pm
      I watch the games and I feel on footballing ability Cahill, Adam, Young and Jarvis would significantly improve us and if we had all four this season we probably would be in the top four.

Agree and Young and Jarvis in particular are better than any player we have playing wide left or right in a good few years now.

Gary Cahill I also rate highly and if the owners, Kenny and Comolli think he is the man to strengthen the back four the I'm really not bothered what we have to pay as that is a decision for the owners to make judgement on.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #49: Mar 24, 2011 06:01:14 pm

Another thing to take into consideration is each players circumstance at their respective clubs:

Adam will not want to play in the championship, he has 1 year left, and can threaten to buy himself out of his contract, or run it down and leave for nothing. We will pay no more than £8M for him IMO. He is also promised a move b Holloway.

Young - will not want to stay at Villa, and is refusing to sign a contract. Think I am right on saying he only has 12 months left on his contract as well.

Jarvis - will not want to play in the championship and will hand in a transfer reqest if Wolves go down to help further his England career.

Cahill - will want to move on to bigger and better things to help cement a place in the international set up.

All these circumstances could work in our favour and drive the price down.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #50: Mar 24, 2011 06:09:47 pm
      I think none of the players barring maybe Young would be good first 11 signings, but then I think it just lazy journalism.

To many people buying into lads having a decent six months and then thinking they would be great signings for teams going for a Championship. Don't care what anyone says Jarvis would not be a great signing for Liverpool.

You can guarantee Utd, Chelsea and City will have much bigger targets and that is what your competing against.

I don't want to be on here again around December next season and saying I told you they wouldn't be great signings
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #51: Mar 24, 2011 06:18:36 pm
      All the 4 players mentioned here have been good in the EPL for longer than Andy Carroll
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #52: Mar 24, 2011 06:26:10 pm
      You can guarantee Utd, Chelsea and City will have much bigger targets and that is what your competing against.

Chelsea and City targets? I thought you didn't like SWP, and they both paid big money for him in the past.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #53: Mar 24, 2011 06:29:19 pm
      All the 4 players mentioned here have been good in the EPL for longer than Andy Carroll

What about Charlie Adam?

Cahill - I rate him highly, strong in the air, great determination, good organization, leader on the pitch and IMO is as good as John Terry.

Jarvis - Been a big fan although he is slighty one dimensional. He always cuts inside and always floats a cross from what I've seen.

Young - Not a great fan but you can tell he has quality. If he can rediscover his 2007 form then we have a player on our hands

Adam - fantastic player, great range of passing, hard worker and is very creative on the pitch.

We would need a couple more players after these 4, a left back and a striker but it looks like we're chasing British talent.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #54: Mar 24, 2011 06:31:47 pm

Carroll was injured for a big part of the season, he was bought by £35M after not even 4 good months in the EPL, Adam has been good the whole season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #55: Mar 24, 2011 06:33:06 pm
      We're going British, eh?

But this is pretty tricky. If you're thinking of the better players in the league, those four (Young, Jarvis, Adam and Cahill) do stand out. However, there are probably better players in other leagues.

But thing is, just because a player is ripping in Spain or Netherlands, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll do the same for us and it's also true for the opposite - player doing well (not exactly world class) but comes here and explodes!
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #56: Mar 24, 2011 06:33:46 pm
      I think none of the players barring maybe Young would be good first 11 signings, but then I think it just lazy journalism.

To many people buying into lads having a decent six months and then thinking they would be great signings for teams going for a Championship. Don't care what anyone says Jarvis would not be a great signing for Liverpool.

I don't want to be on here again around December next season and saying I told you they wouldn't be great signings
      Nobody said they would be great signings but can't you agree that Adam and Jarvis would be good squad players?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #57: Mar 24, 2011 06:43:19 pm
      I don't want squad players I want first 11 players, I want our wide positions to be solved once and for all.

Carroll has potential and look what we have had to pay for him.

I don't particularly rate Jarvis or Cahill highly, I think Young has been good in the past no so much this season.

I think Adam has been good a lot of this season down to Holloway basing his whole team around him, he takes everything for Blackpool.

Do I think he will be a regular if he comes to Liverpool I would say no can't see where he would play. Unless Kenny is going to pair him with Lucas.

No point people getting up tight, none of the players mentioned are Liverpool players now and to be honest probably won't ever be barring I think Adam, i think we will sign him. Only time will tell who is right.

Don't think Chelsea or City will be targetting the SWP of this world this Summer do you Diego
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #58: Mar 24, 2011 06:51:43 pm
      Don't think Chelsea or City will be targetting the SWP of this world this Summer do you Diego

Not this summer obviously, but that shows we don't have to pick our targets based on who the F**k they're trying to get. Unless you also wanted the likes of Zhirkov, the Russian Ronaldinho, or Obertan...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #59: Mar 24, 2011 06:54:02 pm
      No obviously not but I'd like to think we will be competing with the same type and standard of targets as them would you not
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #60: Mar 24, 2011 06:55:34 pm
      I personally think Adam and Young had better seasons last year.

I remember calling Adam Iniesta V2 and getting slaughtered for it
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #61: Mar 24, 2011 07:00:08 pm
      Probably a topic for another thread but when did football change?
      There's debate on here that we don't want players from small clubs and that we aren't sure if players from the championship could crack it.
      But answer this. If we hadn't signed players from so called little clubs in the past we'd have missed out on Keegan, Clemence, Hansen, Lawrenson, Barnes, Murphy, Jones and a striker whose name escapes me but we bought him from Chester city! So when did football change that we had to buy £10 million pound foreigners? Or £25 million players from other prem clubs?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #62: Mar 24, 2011 07:04:04 pm
      Where is that debate, there is a big difference between debating whether you think a player is good enough and debating whether you think we should be buying players from smaller clubs.

As that comment is probably aimed at me I'd like you to show me where I said we shouldn't buy players from smaller clubs
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #63: Mar 24, 2011 09:10:18 pm
      I apologise if you felt that the comment was aimed at you, it wasn't. It was a comment on the general debate
      Someone else did say that you didn't rate players just because they play for Wigan Blackpool or Wolves. I don't know if that is true or not but it wasn't my comment.
      Soemone else said you seem to think NO player from small clubs are worth any money AT ALL.
      Feel free to be touchy if people don't like your point of view but don't have a go when someone actually isn't.

What I really want to know is when and why did we stop signing people from Crewe and Scunthorpe and Chester in favour of people from France and Croatia etc.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #64: Mar 24, 2011 09:24:28 pm
      Thing is - its a jigsaw. not every piece is THE piece. For me, depending on price, all mentioned have merit - we won't sign all of them though. And we will sign other players
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #65: Mar 24, 2011 09:40:02 pm
      I don't want squad players I want first 11 players, I want our wide positions to be solved once and for all.

Carroll has potential and look what we have had to pay for him.

I don't particularly rate Jarvis or Cahill highly, I think Young has been good in the past no so much this season.

I think Adam has been good a lot of this season down to Holloway basing his whole team around him, he takes everything for Blackpool.

Do I think he will be a regular if he comes to Liverpool I would say no can't see where he would play. Unless Kenny is going to pair him with Lucas.

No point people getting up tight, none of the players mentioned are Liverpool players now and to be honest probably won't ever be barring I think Adam, I think we will sign him. Only time will tell who is right.

Have to disagree with you there because I do rate Cahill although I don't see centre back as a priority, I like Jarvis as a squad player. Adam is a real class act though needs to improve his fitness.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #66: Mar 24, 2011 10:20:09 pm
      CH is not a priority if you assume that Skertel and Agger are going to stay fit, Carra and Sotis are not going to show signs of age and Wilson is going to show less of the immaturity he has shown so far on his first team opportunities.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #67: Mar 25, 2011 12:10:43 pm
      I'd personally be really happy with these signings, although I'd add to that a LB, a defensive midfielder and a striker.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #68: Mar 25, 2011 12:58:36 pm
      Why sign squad players though? Don't we have enough of them already?

Corbally is right in saying we need to sort out the first 11 once and for all. Then the likes of Kuyt, Maxi, Lucas and whoever else can fill the 'squad player' roles, not signing jarvis for 15m or whatever to sit on the bench.

Jarvis and cahill in the first 11 for me is a no go. Neither are title chasing players in my opinion.

Young could easily walk straight into our first 11 no matter what price we sign him for. We don't have a left winger and he is a quality one. Which plonker said hes been sh*te for 2 seasons? Do you even watch football?

Adam is touch and go for me. Personally, id actually like to see him here because I think hes been brilliant all season. However, i do think there may be better options in the market.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #69: Mar 25, 2011 02:14:02 pm
      I want squad players. So when we get an injury we aren't fu**ed and so we can actually have a subs bench without the links of Poulsen and Jova on it. I want first 11 players AND I want squad players. I don't really see the issue people are making it out to be?

And the whole attitude thing about buying players from smaller clubs is a load of sh*te as well. Just because they play for Wolves, Wigan or Blackpool doesn't mean they can't make the step up.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #70: Mar 25, 2011 04:24:22 pm
      I want squad players. So when we get an injury we aren't fu**ed
      And the whole attitude thing about buying players from smaller clubs is a load of sh*te as well. Just because they play for Wolves, Wigan or Blackpool doesn't mean they can't make the step up.
      This.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #71: Mar 25, 2011 04:49:41 pm

I think so corbally mate. If we must pay big money we must make sure it's pay for the best we can.

But I'm now believe Charlie Adam will be our first 11. Ashley Young will be useful signing. Jarvis could add depth to the team. Not so sure about Gary Cahill.

Happy if we can sign them at the right prices.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #72: Apr 10, 2011 02:37:28 pm
      Wathced Jarvis yesterday, didn't have much effect of the game, still think he has some talent. Watching Adam now, really is brilliant from dead balls.

Quick Reply