Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay article

Read 7457 times
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Re: Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay article
      Reply #23: Mar 24, 2011 03:48:00 pm
      Well you and I disagree on the holding type position anyway Corbally, I think Adam Raul and Stevie could all play in the same team together and Im sure Kenny does too which is why he wanted to sign the lad.

Also, Id love to see british lads here definately but im not saying its a must or the right way to go. Signing players who have played in the premiership though is, in my opinion.

Yes suarez looks like a top signing corbally, there have been several others too, torres for example, but I could name just as many who have come here and have been a massive flop.

Way to go is to let other clubs take the gamble on foreign lads and if they are a success here then we step in and steal them basically. Thats my take on things.

Back on topic though, young and adam would be good signings IMO and would offer us something. Cahill and Jarvis arent good enough though IMO

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #24: Mar 24, 2011 03:51:52 pm
      The way I see it is this:

Jarvis and Young ARE better than Kuyt and Maxi on the wings.

Adam would be competing with Gerrard, Raul and Shelvey for a starting place, and IMO we will be looking at a fee closer to £6M than £10M

Gary Cahill is over priced at £25M, and for that price I would steer clear. He is worth £15M tops.

I would sign all of them except Cahill at those prices, though if NESV don't see money as an issue then let them spend whatever the F**k they like as long as quality is brought into the club.

We seem to be in sell to buy mode still, always trying to count the pennies up.

Its not our money. If NESV/Commoli/Kenny want Gary Cahill at £30M for example then that is their business.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #25: Mar 24, 2011 03:56:37 pm
      Ya Carroll I don't think that midfield would be good enough, every successful team in the World plays with a defensive midfielder whether or international or club so dunno how you think that would be a success. People on here know I'm no bug fan of Lucas but I'd prefer to see him in our midfielder ahead of Adam because of balance.

Carroll I could go into the top 20 best players in the last 15 years in the Premiership and do you know what most of them will be foreign. Buy British is a joke that will not bring success and I hope it has disappeared with Hodgson.

Will we step in and steal Luiz what for maybe £50 million, that would be an absolute ridiculous policy if they are a success at an English club there value will at least double like Torres. Sure what the f**k have we people scouting other leagues for then

I wouldn't buy Jarvis unless he was offered to the club for £5 million, another Pennant is what he is as someone said yesterday without the attitude, our targets should be much higher

I think if we blew £50 million plus on the players mentioned we would not compete for the league next season but if we spent it more wisely we would

I don't care if the player has played in the Premiership or not, if he is quality he is quality like Suarez, if you asked me before we signed him I'd have taken him ahead of nearly any Premiership striker if you don't believe me check what I said about him in his transfer thread
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #26: Mar 24, 2011 04:05:30 pm
      I could sit here and do the same thing corbally, crespo, morientes, veron, shevchenko etc etc.

We could discuss the amount of flops liverpool have had in recent seasons by signing mostly foreign lads or lads who are no more than a prospect.

So personally, id like to see premiership players in but im actually agreeing with you here that neither jarvis or cahill fit the bill. Young and Adam would offer us something though IMO. If you disagree thats fine, but Young has been argueably the best winger in the prem for two season and Adam has argueably been the prems player of the season.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #27: Mar 24, 2011 04:07:45 pm
      That was another focal point of the article, Kenny wants proven premier league players.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #28: Mar 24, 2011 04:13:43 pm
      That is what Comoli is getting paid so highly for to scout players worldwide, by the way do you think it is just foreign players that have flopped, around the same time Chelsea bought Crespo they also paid £23 million for Shaun Wright Phillps.

Liverpool have bought there fair few of British flops as well, you don't want me going into that.

I don't care where players have played as like Suarez they are sufficiently talented. Would you not like to sign most of the Barc or Real teams

I'd personally only sign Young out of that group and only for a reasonable fee
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #29: Mar 24, 2011 04:17:31 pm
      SWP was pretty good there though.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #30: Mar 24, 2011 04:18:01 pm
      You are joking are you reds
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #31: Mar 24, 2011 04:20:50 pm
      I could sit here and do the same thing corbally, crespo, morientes, veron, shevchenko etc etc.

We could discuss the amount of flops liverpool have had in recent seasons by signing mostly foreign lads or lads who are no more than a prospect.

So personally, id like to see premiership players in but im actually agreeing with you here that neither jarvis or cahill fit the bill. Young and Adam would offer us something though IMO. If you disagree thats fine, but Young has been argueably the best winger in the prem for two season and Adam has argueably been the prems player of the season.

That's not true. Maybe in the 2007/2008 season he was up their with th best but he's been poor last 2 seasons.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #32: Mar 24, 2011 04:24:21 pm
      He featured fairly reguarly in a league winning side.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Mar 24, 2011 04:25:51 pm
      Charlie Adam will go for around £10 million, they are talking about Cahill for £20 million because of Arsenal interest, Ashley should cost max £15 million because of the length of his contract and Jarvis due to being the flavour of the month with his England call up could cost up to £15 million.

So I think we could be talking about close to £60 million for the 4 and that is exactly why I would buy British players they are massively over priced and if there is £60 million to spend I expect it to be spent on better quality and for us to compete for the title next season.

I don't think barring maybe Ashley Young they would make that much difference to our starting 11. I want Suarez type signings, top class players not gambles for that sort of money, fairly obvious the quality of Suarez as it was with Luiz for Chelsea.

I'd actually be in favour of no British signings at all. I bet reds if you check my record on here with signings over the last 2 and a half years you might be very surprised, I called a hell of a lot of them.

I don't think some people on here realise the step of up from being a star at a small club to being just another cog at a big club.

I know what you're saying and I partially agree with you, those 4 wouldn't be my top targets either.

I agree we shouldn't be taking gambles but I don't think we have money to buy the very best for all the positions we need to strengthen (that being the wings, left back, midfield, center back, another striker perhaps etc). So we have to set the priorities.

For example, I don't want any cut prices signings for the wing - that position has been our biggest problem in the last few years and I want a proper 'answer', someone who have immediate impact.

On the other hand, I could take one in other positions where we're only looking to add depth to build a proper squad. That's why I'm 100% in favor of getting Charlie Adam. I can't think of any other player with his quality to come for £10M at most, and he would add something we don't have in our squad at the moment.

I would never pay £20M for Gary Cahill though. Nor £15M for Jarvis. I would accept Young for that money though.

As for the step from smaller clubs to Liverpool, I agree it's a big one but you seem to think NO player from small clubs are worth any money AT ALL. And that's obviously not true.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #34: Mar 24, 2011 04:26:54 pm
      Who said Jarvis will go for 15 million though if Wolves go down it could be more like 8.
      « Last Edit: Mar 24, 2011 04:37:02 pm by thereds13 »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: Mar 24, 2011 04:29:17 pm
      Reds I'm enjoying debating with you but when you start to tell me SWP did well at Chelsea I'm starting to wonder are you on a piss take, none of the players mentioned should be first choice barring maybe Young saying that I'd take Adam Johnson ahead of him
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36: Mar 24, 2011 04:38:50 pm
      Did you want Adam Johnson when he was at small Middlesbrough though?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #37: Mar 24, 2011 04:39:01 pm
      Reds I'm enjoying debating with you but when you start to tell me SWP did well at Chelsea I'm starting to wonder are you on a piss take, none of the players mentioned should be first choice barring maybe Young saying that I'd take Adam Johnson ahead of him
      I never said they should be first choice mate but compare having Poulsen, Ngog and Cole(with the way he's playing, as I still harbour hopes he will sort himself out)on the bench to having people like Jarvis and Adam. All I was saying was SWP was part of a title winning side.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #38: Mar 24, 2011 04:40:04 pm
      Jarvis - third best winger this season after Bale and Nani. Would not say no at all to him, brilliant little player.

Cahill - Rate him very highly to be honest, had a cracking season and him and Agger would be unstoppable.

Young - Brings a hell of a lot of pace, a good cross and some much needed ability to beat a man (only Suarez has that in this squad)

Adam - Getting better and better in the Premiership, not just decent form for a month or two. Gives us another source of creativity and as has been mentioned, he has outperformed probably every central midfielder in the country bar Modric and Nasri.

I'd take all four in a heartbeat to be honest, judging them on footballing ability alone (not nationality, what club they come from, their cost) they would significantly improve our chances of qualifying for the CL next year which is the immediate objective for next season.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #39: Mar 24, 2011 04:41:38 pm
      I agree Chats +1.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #40: Mar 24, 2011 04:43:07 pm
      Ya always thought he was a good player contrary to what people believe if I think a lad at a smaller club is good enough I say it.

What I don't do though is rave about a lad if he is doing good at a smaller club where the tactics or set up maybe based around him like if I'm being honest a Charlie Adam.

Players like Pennant are like Jarvis excellant at Birmingham when they were fighting relegation, pacy, could beat a man and get in a cross exactly like Jarvis doesn't mean I think he is good enough for where the club is going. Like a few players at smaller clubs.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #41: Mar 24, 2011 04:48:31 pm
      What I don't do though is rave about a lad if he is doing good at a smaller club where the tactics or set up maybe based around him like if I'm being honest a Charlie Adam.

Wasn't it exactly the same for Andy Carroll?

Not every single player comes from a big club, they start somewhere else. Just because Charlie Adam is bossing at Blackpool doesn't mean he can't boss it for us. If I'm totally honest I'd have Adam over Meireles every day of the week because they've both had the same amount of time in the Premiership but Adam has been far more consistent.

Jarvis is brilliant at Wolves, with supply from the middle in the form of Gerrard, Adam and Lucas why can't he continue to beat his full back and whip a ball in for Andy Carroll?

Cahill is excellent for Bolton so why can't he form a partnership with the best footballing centre back in the league?

Your argument makes no sense to be quite honest.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #42: Mar 24, 2011 04:50:57 pm
      Well I do believe in you but I can't ever recall you saying a lad from a small English club is worth anything, though I do see you wanting players from small French clubs, that's why I asked.

As for the Jarvis comparison, I know what you're saying, but wouldn't you have Pennant in your squad though? I know I would. I actually thought he was a pretty good player, the problem being his sh*t attitude, as he was too stupid to grow as a player (capable of making the same mistakes over and over again, never shooting, always crossing even if there's no one to cross the ball for). Definitely not for £15M though, so I would stay away from Jarvis as well.  

I know we're all aiming for better, bigger things, but we're not going to buy 5 world class players in one transfer window so we have to be realistic too.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #43: Mar 24, 2011 04:59:06 pm
      I disagree with you, how has does my argument make no sense, it is opinion, my opinion is I think the signing of them 4 players for £50 milion plus would not improve our first 11 by much and I bet I would have had the same argument with you when we signed Pennant chats or when I rubbished the signings of Dossena, Keane, Riera etc.

Even though it is a game of opinion, I think I've called it pretty right on players on here we have signed over the last few years whether people want to admit it our not. Thought Cole would be better though if I'm being honest.

I think Adam would flop at Liverpool no one can tell me I'm wrong until we sign him and see.

Signings like the players mentioned will not convince Reina to stay
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #44: Mar 24, 2011 05:00:52 pm
      Riera and Pennant are two players who showed flashes of ability but never really kicked on.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: Mar 24, 2011 05:03:37 pm
      Never good enough, had seen Riera playing and wasn't really a fan remember Graham Hunter saying he would have been a good signing for Villa not us. We should never have signed Pennant

Quick Reply