Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Our injury problems

Read 4097 times
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Re: Our injury problems
      Reply #23: Apr 06, 2011 10:03:19 pm
      We're basically putting out the same 11 players every week and not resting anyone.  When was the last time a player was rested preemptively?

We don't have the depth in quality to do that. Resting players is a must imo. Playing every game isn't easy. But if you look at our squad we completely lack depth. In the summer we need to get first team players and make sure we have depth. (maybe changing some of the first team players into squad players)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #24: Apr 06, 2011 10:06:44 pm
      I wonder if moving Agger to a more Ledley King type program would suit him better. Less training with just the 1 game a week.

Know what you're saying but I'm not sure he could manage even a game a week over a course of time.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #25: Apr 06, 2011 10:15:09 pm
      We don't have the depth in quality to do that. Resting players is a must imo. Playing every game isn't easy. But if you look at our squad we completely lack depth. In the summer we need to get first team players and make sure we have depth. (maybe changing some of the first team players into squad players)

I agree with you and it's the main reason why I keep getting on people's cases when they want to sell 10 players and bring in 6, it will do nothing to alleviate the problems we're having with squad depth.  Oh, but we've got young lads like Shelvey, Wilson and Pacheco who can step in - it would be better for those lads to be on loan at a club playing more often (think Vela at WBA/Sturridge at Bolton) rather than alternating between being unused substitutes and occasional cameo appearances here at Liverpool.  I'm just saying, the reason we're having another bad run with injuries is probably down to fatigue (our players look exhausted by the 60 minute mark) combined with the more fragile players being asked to (out of necessity more often than not) play every game.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #26: Apr 06, 2011 10:36:06 pm
      We do have deadwood that needs replacing. But doing it all in one transfer window will alter the team chemistry drastically. I say we need 2 transfer windows to offload our deadwood. I see many players that just won't cut it here and they need to move on and replaced with better options (mostly Hodgson's signings). But with the injury problems we have had we need to have that quality depth. The owners have recognized that we will need quality depth and are willing to hand over a huge transfer budget. As you said vitez we need our prospects to go on loan and gain match experience, being a squad player is not going to make them progress and get better.

You can't just build a world class team over the summer, it takes time.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #27: Apr 08, 2011 06:09:55 pm
      As the old saying goes, when it rains, it pours. :(
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #28: Apr 08, 2011 06:49:32 pm
      Other posters have already nailed it - lack of squad depth.

Look at Utd and Arsenal, who have had a lot of injuries this season - their squads have been able to cope much better than ours.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #29: Apr 09, 2011 02:40:30 pm
      An over staffs disease maybe  :mad:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #30: Apr 09, 2011 02:45:03 pm
      But it's quite worrying that its usually the important players that get it.

Over the years, Gerrard, Aurelio, Agger, Johnson and Torres got injured pretty often. Carra and Skrtel got injured themselves a fair bit.
      little-Luis:)
      • Started Topic

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #31: Apr 09, 2011 02:48:02 pm
      But it's quite worrying that its usually the important players that get it.

Over the years, Gerrard, Aurelio, Agger, Johnson and Torres got injured pretty often. Carra and Skrtel got injured themselves a fair bit.

Always is, again it could be tied into the whole squad depth argument. Because of the lack of quality in depth, these guys are asked to play more, play harder and put themselves through more for the team, resulting in injuries. Also being rushed back can't help.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #32: Apr 09, 2011 06:12:14 pm
      I would expect our players to be able to play every game if necessary, i know it's a physical game ,but so is rugby, remember that the players are on high earnings,don't work unsociable hours,eat the very best of food, use the best equipment and are conditioned to supreme fitness, if the players aren't up to this then maybe it's time to wonder if they are right for the club,not being vicious or nasty but if you broke time at work regular then your position would be in jeopardy ...just my opinion
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #33: Apr 09, 2011 06:54:09 pm
      Gerrard has always been plagued as well as Agger. Unfortunately Stevie will play less and less a the years go by unles he can change his style and sit and spray ala Alonso. Torres well you have to ask was he really trying to be honest.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #34: Apr 10, 2011 11:20:43 pm
      Turning into a disaster.Last seven games and the injurys are coming thick and fast.

Quick Reply