Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)

Read 11274 times
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)
      Apr 12, 2011 06:29:43 pm
      Liverpool to Battle Manchester United for £30M Welsh Wing Wizard

http://www.nesn.com/2011/04/report-liverpool-interested-in-signing-gareth-bale-spurs-would-consider-30-million-plus-bids.html

With Spurs 2010-11 Champions League adventure looking likely to come to an end at the hands of Real Madrid, and with Manchester City maintaining the upper hand in the race for final English spot in next year's UCL, the powers that be at White Hart Lane are likely to be faced with the reality of reduced revenues.

Selling players may be their only recourse, and they have no more valuable asset than 21-year-old phenom Gareth Bale. Earlier this year, Bale was deemed completely untouchable, though Harry Redknapp recently softened his stance to "accept an £80 million super-bid."

Now, according to the Sunday Express, Spurs would consider bids of over £30 million, and both Manchester United and Liverpool are interested. Bale joined Spurs in 2007 when Damien Comolli, current director of football at Anfield, held that same post at White Hart Lane.

The Reds are widely believed to be looking to add width in the summer, and there may be few players in the world as capable in that regard as Bale. The Wales international, however, did recently sign a new deal with Spurs that would keep him under contract until 2015.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)
      Reply #1: Apr 12, 2011 06:31:32 pm
      Have to say, this is about as much rubbish as I've seen. Can't see Bale coming to Liverpool didnt he make degoratary remarks about Liverpool people in the past and at the moment they are ahead of us
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2: Apr 12, 2011 06:37:36 pm
      Really? I'd love to see him here.

Saying that, has to be complete bullshit.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #3: Apr 12, 2011 06:40:36 pm
      Also think it's basically impossible, I think he'll go abroad to be honest, a big offer from Spain seems the most likely destination, Inter are big admirers, as were Milan and Roma in the past, Mancs were also chasing him in the past and are still interested so there's a possibility and that leaves only Chelsea and City with enough financial backing although I don't think he'd go there.

From a personal point of view there's basically no one I'd rather have here, (Messi and the like aside) such a huge admirer of his, has such incredible potential for a twenty one year old. Up untill his injuries struck he was one of the most in form wingers in the world.

Here's what El Mundo a Spanish Newspaper said about him: "Bale combines the height and build of an 800-metre runner like Steve Ovett with the acceleration and directness of a rugby winger like Bryan Habana. And, when he gets to the byline, he delivers curling crosses like a Brazilian."

Have to say, this is about as much rubbish as I've seen. Can't see Bale coming to Liverpool didnt he make degoratary remarks about Liverpool people in the past and at the moment they are ahead of us
      Really? Any idea what he said? I had no idea.

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011 06:46:38 pm by StevieG-force »
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #4: Apr 12, 2011 06:44:54 pm
      was gunna post this yesterday but can't see it happening so i thougt there's no point puting it on here would be nice tho
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Apr 12, 2011 06:47:56 pm
      I would love to have him here because he's still only 21 and would be a good addition to the team.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #6: Apr 12, 2011 06:51:27 pm
      Am I the only one that wouldn't like him here?? I dunno, I just think he has a 'Man United aura' to him. I don't rate him as one of the best players in the world either. Hell, if I had pace like him I'd just lump it and chase after it like he does. A lot.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #7: Apr 12, 2011 06:57:12 pm
      Am I the only one that wouldn't like him here?? I dunno, I just think he has a 'Man United aura' to him. I don't rate him as one of the best players in the world either. Hell, if I had pace like him I'd just lump it and chase after it like he does. A lot.

Think you're being incredibly harsh there, he's not a one dimensional player in the least, very skillful, technically proficient on either foot, a lethal finisher, one of the best crosses in the league as well as having a huge amount of stamina. Got all the attributes a winger could want.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #8: Apr 12, 2011 06:59:19 pm
      Think you're being incredibly harsh there, he's not a one dimensional player in the least, very skillful, technically proficient on either foot, a lethal finisher, one of the best crosses in the league as well as having a huge amount of stamina. Got all the attributes a winger could want.

Were you saying that last season?

Don't forget it took Spurs almost 3 years to win a league game with him starting in the side.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #9: Apr 12, 2011 07:00:35 pm

Not just pace that makes him special. Its his pin point crosses and goals.

I think Bale is a quality player and I can't think of a player who would be a better supplier for Carroll then Bale.

If he does leave he'll go to champions league club IMO. If he didn't want champions league he would stay at Spurs (unless they qualify).

Although for the price tag that's been mentioned for him I would much rather get Sanchez for a similar amount.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #10: Apr 12, 2011 07:03:48 pm

Well given that I watched him at Southampton and for Wales on several occasions before he even joined Spurs, yes I suppose I was, saw a lot of those qualities when he was playing left back and thought he was unfairly treated by Redknapp when he first took over.

Just think you saying that he lumps the ball and chases it is incredibly short sighted, got a lot more to him than that.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: Apr 12, 2011 07:07:52 pm
      This aint happening so no point arguing
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #12: Apr 12, 2011 07:10:49 pm

Kind of agree mate.

I feel while he is a good player he is vastly over rated and there are more creative options available.

Not even close to being one of the best players in the world. Not even the best player at Spurs in my opinion.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Apr 12, 2011 07:12:28 pm
      Not even close to being one of the best players in the world. Not even the best player at Spurs in my opinion.

Luka F***ing Modric is spectacular.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #14: Apr 12, 2011 07:13:14 pm
      I know there is more to his game, just not jumping on the bandwagon of him being the best in the world.

As corbally said, it's never gonna happen
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #15: Apr 12, 2011 07:16:52 pm
      Luka F***ing Modric is spectacular.

That's the one!!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Apr 12, 2011 07:21:11 pm
      I know there is more to his game, just not jumping on the bandwagon of him being the best in the world.

As corbally said, it's never gonna happen

I'm inclined to agree on both statements. He's a top winger, but what has he done in the league this season? I know he had those two magical games against Inter where he made mince meat of Maicon, but I feel like his form has somewhat dipped this season. I know he's been hurt, but I do feel his rep was gained in large part due to 2 games.

Last season, however, he was spectacular. Just haven't seen it as much in the league this year.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #17: Apr 12, 2011 07:31:39 pm
      Very overrated.

I'd still have him hear in a heartbeat fits in perfectly to the NESV plan !! 
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #18: Apr 12, 2011 08:38:43 pm
      Well he,s good but not F***ing world class as people reckon,and im sorry harry 80mill F**k off lad ang give your head a wobble :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Apr 12, 2011 08:52:25 pm
      I think Modric is a wonderful talent but he's very overrated too. I don't rate him as world class. He does not dictate the game as well as it's said IMO and is not as decisive as a player of his supposed stature should be. That said, I would love to have someone like him in our midfield, great passing and creativity.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #20: Apr 12, 2011 09:09:27 pm
      I have a feeling we'll put a cheeky bid in for him, dont know why i just have that feeling.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #21: Apr 12, 2011 09:14:02 pm
      Actually, I echo kevinho's post.

He was brilliant against Inter Milan in both legs and other than his brace against Stoke where he scored that spectacular volley, I am yet to see him contribute more.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #22: Apr 12, 2011 10:00:33 pm
      I wouldn't mind him, but for the same price as Sanchez, I would take Sanchez.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #23: Apr 12, 2011 10:02:59 pm
      I can't see it happening though he would be the perfect player to fit our needs (left footed winger with great pace)
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #24: Apr 12, 2011 10:28:05 pm
      I wish this wasn't bollocks...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25: Apr 12, 2011 10:40:10 pm
      Sorry but he's not as good as the sickening sycophantic English press make him out to be. He can piss off as well as he's just signed a contract at Spurs so I expect him to honour that. He seems the sort of player who would go to Man Utd but no surprise seeing as Spurs are their feeder club.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: Apr 13, 2011 07:48:51 am
      What's he done in the league? Minimal for the outlay he would cost.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #27: Apr 13, 2011 08:24:42 am
      What's he done in the league? Minimal for the outlay he would cost.

Seven goals this season in the league, plus you cannot discount his form in Europe.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #28: Apr 13, 2011 09:17:39 am
      Seven goals this season in the league, plus you cannot discount his form in Europe.

His form in Europe reads like this: 2 great games and the rest were decent, but not spectacular.

I'd have him here, because he's better than what we currently have on the left, but I don't buy into this nonsene that he's one of the best in the world. I also think he's fairly one dimensional.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #29: Apr 13, 2011 09:22:54 am
      His form in Europe reads like this: 2 great games and the rest were decent, but not spectacular.

I'd have him here, because he's better than what we currently have on the left, but I don't buy into this nonsene that he's one of the best in the world. I also think he's fairly one
      dimensional.

Little harsh re Europe, I mean with Spurs down to ten men Bale was their only shining light caused Real loads of problems with his runs, actually thought it was one of his better games even if he didn't score.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #30: Apr 13, 2011 09:00:03 pm
      Dirk Kuyt has 9 goals and 5 assists in 27 games / Gareth Bale has 7 goals and 1 assist in 26 games in the league

Gareth Bale : over-rated.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #31: Apr 13, 2011 09:02:05 pm
      Stats like that are useless IMO. Stats only show half the picture.

I would rather have Bale over Kuyt any day of the week.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #32: Apr 13, 2011 09:05:02 pm

That makes me laugh, so you'd rather have someone scoring less and creating less that someone who scores and creates more.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #33: Apr 13, 2011 09:08:29 pm
      That makes me laugh, so you'd rather have someone scoring less and creating less that someone who scores and creates more.

Your looking just at the stats. If you look at chances created etc then I'm sure Bale would be far higher. Also Kuyt has played as a striker and has taken a few penatlys which would increase his stats.

Bale is a better player then Kuyt, simples.

Or maybe try watching each player play and decide for yourself then looking just at stats.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #34: Apr 13, 2011 10:16:33 pm
      Yeah, I agree with lfc_ynwa. Stats around here are being used way too often all of the sudden. They are helpful but they do not tell the full tale.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #35: Apr 13, 2011 10:22:36 pm

If you think Bale is better than Kuyt, then I am missing something. Stats are worthless. You could set an entire goal up and not get anything for your stats sheet. Which is why scouts go to the games, rather than look at stats to buy their players.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #36: Apr 13, 2011 11:16:13 pm
      Based on tonight and what I've seen of Bale this season in the Champions League (Which is a big step up by anyone standards), I';d be more than happy to have him here, even if he looks like a primate.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #37: Apr 14, 2011 01:26:22 am
      Would immediately sort out our left wing problems, but he'll be ridiculously over priced. Rather splash out on Sanchez.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,513 posts | 2873 
      Reply #38: Apr 14, 2011 02:06:23 am
      Thought he played really well again tonight.

He is over rated a tad yes but that doesn't make him a bad player. He still has bags of ability and at his age can only get better.

I'd love Bale here although I can't see Spurs selling him to us. Don't think the fee would be a problem as I'm pretty sure if there's a player Kenny wants he'll get him (within reason!).
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #39: Apr 14, 2011 05:28:34 am
      I'd love him here, but his price offsets me. Spend that money on Sanchez. Besides I doubt they would sell to us.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #40: Apr 14, 2011 07:54:39 am
      Watched him last night on the goggle box and he is frighteningly fast but again no decent finish in cross or shot,not saying he,s sh*t, not by a long way ,but all this talk of 30/40/50 or if your arry 80 million is laughable.

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #41: Apr 14, 2011 12:20:25 pm
      lmao, more chance of Kenny signing me than Spurs letting him go to us im afraid.
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2011 12:27:11 pm by Dannylfc »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #42: Apr 14, 2011 03:52:38 pm

Regardless I'd take Kuyt over Bale any day of the week. I'd rather have Kuyt who works his heart out for this club over a money courting overrated moronic F**k from Spurs.
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #43: Apr 14, 2011 04:43:08 pm
      Dont think we will get bale tbh. I cant see how anyone would want Kuyt over Bale, Kuyt can go through some games and no one would even know he is playing. Bale is only going to improve, it would be a joy to watch him run up and down the left wing for us.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #44: Apr 14, 2011 05:54:25 pm
      Kuyt over Bale? That cracks me up that one :lmao:

kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #45: Apr 14, 2011 06:15:16 pm
      Know for a fact Bale is very settled at Spurs.

Thats not saying they wouldnt sell him if a massive bid came in but they would look at like if Carroll is worth 35m then surely Bale is?

Think he would be an excellent signing if we did manage it but just cant see it.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #46: Apr 14, 2011 06:28:05 pm
      Kuyt over Bale? Oh god. I'm not even debating that one.

If Bale does leave it'll be because he wants champions league football. Same with Modric, who I rate higher then Bale. Modric is my favorite player who doesn't play for Liverpool. Would love him playing for the reds.

I do think Bale will leave Spurs, probably abroad.

Would love him here crossing balls onto Carroll's head.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #47: Apr 14, 2011 06:51:00 pm
      Regardless I'd take Kuyt over Bale any day of the week. I'd rather have Kuyt who works his heart out for this club over a money courting overrated moronic f**k from Spurs.

Out of curiosity, where does the proof of the bolded bit come from?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #48: Apr 15, 2011 02:38:11 am
      Undoubtedly a good player, but over rated in my opinion. For the money 'Arry would want for him (remembering the Spurs are in the shits financially and hemorrhaging money) we could definitely do better both financially and talent wise.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #49: Apr 15, 2011 03:07:07 am
      Undoubtedly a good player, but over rated in my opinion. For the money 'Arry would want for him (remembering the Spurs are in the shits financially and hemorrhaging money) we could definitely do better both financially and talent wise.
      It wont happen.
      If he leaves it will be for Champions League football.

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #50: Apr 15, 2011 12:44:47 pm
      He has made comments about Liverpool as a City and a club hasn't he?
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #51: Apr 15, 2011 12:50:27 pm
      He said in the paper the other day that Wales arent going to be getting top football anytime soon - so the chapions league is the highest he will play.

If he does come to us this summer, IF we fail to get into the CL -  i can bet a fair few quid it wouldnt be his choice
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #52: Apr 15, 2011 01:00:41 pm
      He has made comments about Liverpool as a City and a club hasn't he?

Anybody know what he said?
      shrey024
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #53: Apr 25, 2011 07:37:35 pm
      Well...he's simply over-priced...and he won't be affordable for us, considering that we need to buy many more players to strengthen our squad. £30mn is just way too much
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #54: Apr 25, 2011 09:15:27 pm
      lmao, more chance of Kenny signing me than Spurs letting him go to us im afraid.

This.... there is no chance of signing Bale this summer.  This is a useless thread IMO
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #55: Apr 26, 2011 10:20:04 am
      Good player and is only 22 years old.

Has pace, can strike, can put a cross in but will probably too expensive.

Also, for a player who is said to be the next big thing, the number of goals and assists he has had is amazingly low. All I can remember him from this season are his performances against Inter Milan and that double against Stoke City earlier in the season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #56: Apr 26, 2011 11:39:16 am
      Wouldn't want him.

Half a good season with Spurs in god knows how many years. Hasn't done anything decent since Christmas, didn't see him full stop when they played us.

Decent free kick and has a bit of pace, very rarely knows what to do with it when he's used that pace. Once he's done it for a few years then maybe, but half a season of quality isn't enough to warrant some big hefty transfer fee.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,531 posts | 3468 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #57: Apr 26, 2011 11:46:49 am
      Spot on about Bale, the guy has a lot of potential but it is typical of football these days that someone has half a dozen good games and they are a megastar.  Paying silly money for Bale is just a waste of time.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #58: Apr 26, 2011 01:24:56 pm
      Decent free kick and has a bit of pace, very rarely knows what to do with it when he's used that pace. Once he's done it for a few years then maybe, but half a season of quality isn't enough to warrant some big hefty transfer fee.

To be fair, we paid £35m for Carroll after half a season of quality.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #59: Apr 26, 2011 01:59:00 pm
      To be fair, we paid £35m for Carroll after half a season of quality.

Aye, we overpaid on him.

Difference is, he was a deadline day deal, we were in desperate need of a centre forward and Newcastle knew we had 50 million swimming around from the Torres deal.

In the summer, we'll have more time to look at more options and asses the situation much better. Meaning we won't have to go and pay way over the odds for another decent player - which is all Carroll is to be honest.

Another difference is Carroll was decent for half a year in his first year in the League not his third or fourth or whatever year Bale is in.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #60: Apr 28, 2011 09:23:54 pm

Another difference is Carroll was decent for half a year in his first year in the League not his third or fourth or whatever year Bale is in.

In fairness to Bale, he was being played at left back for the first 2 years at Spurs.

A left back he isnt, I've watched him from day one playing for Wales and it was obvious left midfield would be his posistion.

Anyway, cannot see him joining us.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #61: Dec 04, 2012 12:53:50 pm
      Ginola sticking up for Chimp features:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20587205

:roll:
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #62: Dec 04, 2012 01:49:33 pm
      "It's really easy when you run that fast with that pace on the pitch at players - you don't need a big tackle to go down. A little push would be enough to lose the balance.

Football is about entertainment. When you have players like that who entertain you week in, week out, you have to protect that. It's so precious."
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #63: Dec 04, 2012 02:52:47 pm
      @darrenburgess25

If Bale was Uruguayan he'd be absolutely hammered for his antics by media and opposition fans

Truth. The sad thing is, everyone's afraid of calling him out for it. I assume they're afraid of offending the chimpanzee community if they do ;D
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #64: Dec 04, 2012 03:51:58 pm
      @darrenburgess25

If Bale was Uruguayan he'd be absolutely hammered for his antics by media and opposition fans

Truth. The sad thing is, everyone's afraid of calling him out for it. I assume they're afraid of offending the chimpanzee community if they do ;D
      How dare you t o abuse chimoanzee community by including bale as one of them?  :P
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #65: Dec 07, 2012 07:51:57 pm

To be fair to Ginola I was watching the programme where he said this and he was also sticking up for Suarez too.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #66: Dec 30, 2012 02:35:58 pm
      Can't believe people are still sticking up for this muppet and slating Suarez at the same time!

"If you get contact it's not a dive".

"He brushed me elbow and my legs completely gave way"

He's actually as stupid as he looks!

Quick Reply