Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

BIG summer signings OR Youth Promotions

Read 6400 times
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Re: BIG summer signings OR Youth Promotions
      Reply #46: Apr 23, 2011 11:26:15 am
      When was the last time we beat Arsenal's 'youth team' again?

The whole idea is not to strictly depend on youth promotion, but to make it a part of the big picture. Buy one or two strong players and let quality youth do the rest.

Of what use have been Jovanovic and all the others; konchesky an 'em? Martin Kelly is a perfect example of a solid youth player.

I didn't say they weren't good, they always seem to choke though during the run in, I'm not wrong am I? There's nothing wrong with using youngsters, but they have to be playing with players with experience to know how to handle a run in.
      redjames83
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 114 posts |
      Reply #47: Apr 28, 2011 10:36:22 am
      Yeh, we cant rely on youth completely but I think if Kenny would get the best out of the young players and would eventually develop them into world class players!! Agree with most people on here, in that I have faith in the youth but we need to buy 3/4 world class players for the core of our team which will in turn improve the youth too!!
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #48: Apr 28, 2011 11:21:36 am
      Really all we need in the summer are Charlie Adam and a left winger.

no adam please
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #49: Apr 28, 2011 12:07:30 pm
      Simple answer to this thread is ............

BOTH !
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #50: Apr 28, 2011 12:15:52 pm

BOTH !

Agree with this. As Comolli has said, we don't want to buy players who are going to prevent potential stars of the future from getting into the first team. However, we definitely need to make big summer signings if we are going to be a force next season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #51: Apr 28, 2011 12:17:48 pm
      Any one who thinks we can rely solely on youngsters want's to give their head a wobble and remember earlier in the season and the 9/10 season when we were bemoaning our lack of depth and the lack of game changing players on the bench.
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #52: Apr 28, 2011 03:19:15 pm
      I'd love for both but if we're gunna be challenging for trophies next seasson then I would love some big summer signing :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #53: Apr 29, 2011 12:00:20 pm
      Sign top, top players and use youth players to add depth to the squad.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #54: Apr 29, 2011 12:03:27 pm
      Any one who thinks we can rely solely on youngsters want's to give their head a wobble and remember earlier in the season and the 9/10 season when we were bemoaning our lack of depth and the lack of game changing players on the bench.
      Sign top, top players and use youth players to add depth to the squad.
      That'll do for me.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #55: Apr 29, 2011 12:21:36 pm
      The question is could we depend on our youth to mount a serious challenge to the top four in the context of a whole season? The answer is obviously no, we need some heavyweight internationally recognised players to beef up the squad and let the young lads improve and come through without the intense pressure of a full blown campaign.
      Some first team appearences will only help of course but in moderation, for the players benefit but more importantly for the greater good of the club.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #56: Apr 29, 2011 02:27:28 pm
      Hard to see the point of this thread, must admit.

If we were to rely solely on our youth players to fill the empty roles in our first team, surely that would be a bit of a "Wenger" approach?

I prefer FSG's idea of making the right "big" signings, taking into account everybody's ages, so that our most promising talent would not have their progress hindered down the line.

Promoting from within is all well and good, but a certain experience is required. A good example of this is our youth side recently getting beaten 4-0 by Everton. Whilst some players were missing, it shows that the group has talent, but is not yet ready for the biggest stage.

We have some positions in the side that need a new, top talent. We have players aged 16-17 who could benefit from learning beside a new signing, and be ready to take their place in 4-6 years time.

Right now, to challenge seriously, we need to spend. But if FSG stick to their plans, we will be better prepared to replace from within in a few years time.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,152 posts | 3385 
      Reply #57: Apr 29, 2011 02:33:51 pm
      If it's one or the other, I'd rather go for youth promotions because you may not get the greatest talent, but at least you'll get passion and fight. Seen that from Spearing, Kelly, Robinson and Flanagan in recent weeks, Gerrard and Carragher for a number of years. How many times did we see Torres not try or Meireles bottle out of a tackle?

If you can get a big money signing who'll fight for the shirt and show some real passion for the honour of playing for this club then great i.e. Dirk Kuyt, Bruce Grobbelaar and Sami Hyypia to name but three. But that's why I'd rather have youth than big signings if it comes down to one or tother. Liverpool fans are happy just to see you show you wanna play for the shirt - youth lads will always show that.

Obviously though, in an ideal world it would be a blend of the two.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #58: Apr 30, 2011 01:15:42 am

BOTH !

Is the correct answer ...

Quick Reply