Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

MP Steve Rotheram tables motion to get Kenny Dalglish knighted

Read 9366 times
      LFCexiled
      MP Steve Rotheram tables motion to get Kenny Dalglish knighted
      Apr 27, 2011 09:43:17 am
      Liverpool MP Steve Rotheram tables parliamentary motion to get Kenny Dalglish knighted

A MERSEYSIDE MP was today launching his campaign to have a knighthood bestowed on Liverpool FC manager Kenny Dalglish.

Lifelong Reds fan Steve Rotheram MP, who represents Walton, was calling on his Parliamentary colleagues to sign an Early Day Motion which calls for the Anfield legend to be knighted.

It says: “Any award would be a fitting tribute to the Hillsborough families’ unstinting campaign for justice for the 96.”

Mr Rotheram, a Liverpool season ticket holder, only avoided being caught up in the 1989 disaster when he swapped his ticket for the Leppings Lane End 15 minutes before kick-off.

He told the ECHO: “The idea came out of a conversation I was having with Margaret Aspinall [chairwoman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group] about a way of recognising Kenny Dalglish.

“It is not only for his outstanding playing and managerial career, but also the charity work he has done with his wife, Marina, for breast cancer support and what he did after Hillsborough.

“It is common knowledge it affected him deeply at the time.

“Nowadays, you would receive counselling, but there he was going to four or five funerals a day and in a way, he was helping to counsel those bereaved families.

“I cannot guarantee this Early Day Motion will mean he gets a knighthood, but it is part of a process which can get the ball rolling and hopefully bring it to the attention of the people who make those decisions.

“I know for a fact there is one Tory and one Lib-Dem who have signed it. I am hoping it will get cross-party support and support from across the whole country.

“Don’t forget, [Liverpool FC legends] Bob Paisley and Bill Shankly never got a knighthood whereas [Manchester United legends] Alex Ferguson, Matt Busby and Bobby Charlton all did.

“Liverpool fans have always felt slighted by that.

“It is a shame the Number 10 petitions website was shut down because if you put up a petition for Kenny Dalglish to be knighted, you would have hundreds of thousands of signatories in days.”

Mrs Aspinall, whose son, James, 18, died at Hillsborough, said: “When Steve mentioned it to us, he asked how we would feel, and we said we would be delighted.

“In the early days, Kenny did an awful lot for the families.

“I have met Kenny a couple of times, not on group business, but I have spoken to him and he comes across as a real gentleman.

“Nothing is too much trouble for him.”

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/04/27/liverpool-mp-steve-rotheram-tables-parliamentary-motion-to-get-kenny-dalgish-knighted-100252-28590038/2/#ixzz1Ki9e1nA0
      « Last Edit: Apr 28, 2011 01:01:31 pm by CRK, Reason: DalgLish ;) »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: MP Steve Rotheram tables motion to get Kenny Dalgish knighted
      Reply #1: Apr 27, 2011 09:48:48 am
      Hahaha, I remember that during the Hillsborough 22md Memorial Service.

No one deserves it more than Kenny.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2: Apr 27, 2011 11:05:57 am
      I should of added, I know it came out in the memorial service but I was posting just to let people know that it hadn't been forgotten about.

Best to keep up with it, if those who get paid a lot of money to be involved in Politics decide to they can challenge it.

I'm not sure why they'd want to but they can baffle me with the way they work at the best of time.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,609 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3: Apr 27, 2011 12:06:58 pm
      Should be done. He deserves it, along with his wife all the work they for charity's & hillsbourgh families.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #4: Apr 27, 2011 12:19:39 pm
      No one deserves it more !
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #5: Apr 27, 2011 12:39:49 pm
      He'll once again get passed by and Simon F***ing Cowell will get one.

This country stinks
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #6: Apr 27, 2011 12:48:10 pm
      Emailed my MP who hasn't signed it.

Locally - the Wirral West, Birkenhead, St Helens South, Knowsley, Chester and Wallasey MP's have not signed the motion yet.

I'd also recommend if you live elsewhere in the country you fire an email off to your local MP asking them if they ever had the responsibility of attending and organising the attendance of 95 funerals within the space of a few weeks in 1989.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #7: Apr 27, 2011 12:54:01 pm
      No point e-mailing my MP as she is a right ".............." (insert your own words), but you know, I just might to she what spurious response she gives.

But how can the King be Knighted?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #8: Apr 27, 2011 12:56:45 pm
      Our MP was on the list.

Can still see this being blocked by Parliament though. However if Trevor Brooking and Bobby Robson (RIP) deserve a knighthood, then Kenny Dalglish more than deserves one.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #9: Apr 27, 2011 01:07:09 pm
      Our MP was on the list.

Can still see this being blocked by Parliament though. However if Trevor Brooking and Bobby Robson (RIP) deserve a knighthood, then Kenny Dalglish more than deserves one.

If they deemed the old soak down the lancs worthy of one then Kenny deserves 10 knighthoods.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #10: Apr 27, 2011 01:13:07 pm
      If they deemed the old soak down the lancs worthy of one then Kenny deserves 10 knighthoods.

See mate, I can understand why Ferguson got his. Whether we like it or not, whether he's gracious enough to deserve one or not, what he's done at United is more than impressive and winning the treble in 99 was an outstanding feat. No more outstanding than Joe's in 84 with us mind, who didn't a get a knighthood, but still impressive as F**k. And the fact he's managed a side that has dominated English football for nearly 20 years is just as impressive.

Brooking and Robson, with the greatest of respect done nothing in the game to deserve a knighthood. Robson had a few good years with Ipswich yet that's very rarely talked about but instead getting England to the semis in 1990 World Cup is his finest hour. Beyond me that one. As for Brooking, one FA Cup winners goal and F**k all else.

But Kenny deserves one on grounds other than football. He's one man who deserves it for himself as a person rather than just a footballer.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #11: Apr 27, 2011 01:39:52 pm
      Our MP was on the list.

See mate, I can understand why Ferguson got his. Whether we like it or not, whether he's gracious enough to deserve one or not, what he's done at United is more than impressive and winning the treble in 99 was an outstanding feat. No more outstanding than Joe's in 84 with us mind, who didn't a get a knighthood, but still impressive as f**k. And the fact he's managed a side that has dominated English football for nearly 20 years is just as impressive.

Brooking and Robson, with the greatest of respect done nothing in the game to deserve a knighthood. Robson had a few good years with Ipswich yet that's very rarely talked about but instead getting England to the semis in 1990 World Cup is his finest hour. Beyond me that one. As for Brooking, one FA Cup winners goal and f**k all else.

But Kenny deserves one on grounds other than football. He's one man who deserves it for himself as a person rather than just a footballer.

The guy is a perfect gentleman but lets face it the only thing he did that was outstanding was score the winning cup final goal with his HEAD in 1980!

KENNY FOR A KNIGHTHOOD, NOW !

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,531 posts | 3468 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12: Apr 27, 2011 01:43:46 pm
      Don't forget Fergie is a pretty well known labour supporter, which I'm sure  helped him in some way, shape or form. (Or am I cynical)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #13: Apr 27, 2011 01:49:56 pm
      See mate, I can understand why Ferguson got his. Whether we like it or not, whether he's gracious enough to deserve one or not, what he's done at United is more than impressive and winning the treble in 99 was an outstanding feat. No more outstanding than Joe's in 84 with us mind, who didn't a get a knighthood, but still impressive as F**k. And the fact he's managed a side that has dominated English football for nearly 20 years is just as impressive.

Brooking and Robson, with the greatest of respect done nothing in the game to deserve a knighthood. Robson had a few good years with Ipswich yet that's very rarely talked about but instead getting England to the semis in 1990 World Cup is his finest hour. Beyond me that one. As for Brooking, one FA Cup winners goal and F**k all else.

I wasn't basing it on football DLS. I think the motion was tabled on the basis of what he did for the families of the 96.

The one and only reason the other fella got one can be for services to football as he behaves in no way, shape or form like a Knight of the Realm. He has no respect, he behaves like a petulant child and above all he has no class. Think the total opposite of Sir Bobby Robson and a mental image of him pops into your head.

I hold a grudging respect for him as a manager but as a man he's a combination of bile, puke and dog sh*t.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #14: Apr 27, 2011 01:52:02 pm
      Don't forget Fergie is a pretty well known labour supporter, which I'm sure  helped him in some way, shape or form. (Or am I cynical)

Nah, being cynical and politics make good bed fellows.

When a politician asks you to vote for him he sees you as a £ sign nothing else.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #15: Apr 27, 2011 02:16:23 pm
      I wasn't basing it on football DLS. I think the motion was tabled on the basis of what he did for the families of the 96.

The one and only reason the other fella got one can be for services to football as he behaves in no way, shape or form like a Knight of the Realm. He has no respect, he behaves like a petulant child and above all he has no class. Think the total opposite of Sir Bobby Robson and a mental image of him pops into your head.

I hold a grudging respect for him as a manager but as a man he's a combination of bile, puke and dog sh*t.

I do think they have to stop giving these knighthoods to any tom, dick or harry and instead hold them back for people who honestly deserve it. Perfect example being Chris Hoy, with all due respect he doesn't deserve to be the equivilant of Steve Redgrave who won gold at 5 separate Olympics not just one or two.

And you're right Ferguson doesn't deserve one as a person, unlike our Kenny. But he has done outstanding work with United and to dedicate a quarter of a century to one club is no small feat, which makes me wonder how Bob Paisley, who arrived in 39 and was still involved 50 years later, was never knighted. But that's an old argument that has been closed due to the great man's passing and the laws of this country.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #16: Apr 27, 2011 02:20:18 pm

Not cynical at all. He did a lot of canvassing prior to Labour coming to power.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,986 posts | 5044 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #17: Apr 27, 2011 02:50:11 pm
      The accolade of having a knighthood betowed on you is the ultimate recognition of your lifeswork, in years gone by such accolades were restricted to the rich or learned and a few arselickers, now it seems they can be achieved wiith a minimum of fuss, i dont se khighthoods being awarded to real heroes and heroines who put their lives at risk everyday so we can enjoy our freedom, like our soldiers sailors and airmen/women fighting in foreign lands, i dont see knighthoods being bestowed upon our angels in hospital wards up and down the land or for the countless other people who are solely responsible for making our everyday lives resonably safe, free and happy,

Kenny and Marina's input during and after those horrible months/years since Hillsborough will go down in folklore, they put all their own thoughts and concerns to one side and committed themselves to those who were in more need, for those who reside outside of Merseyside such stories/headlines wont or dont exist, in fact the further you are from the area the less likely you are to learn of what Kenny and Marina have done, so much so that the whole sorry saga pails into insignificance because it concerns people less,

I live in Worcester in the west Midlands and although folk are aware of the events of 1989 it wont pull at the heartstrings as it does in Liverpool, except if you were directly involved.

Like i said at the start Knighthoods, Obe's, Mbe's etc etc are awarded for the minimum of fuss it seems, and the real people deserved of such awards are more often or not ignored or forgotten about, aside from our real heroes in the forces, Kenny and Marina do deserve to be recognised and rightly so, i will contact my MP to see which sort of response i get, if everyone does the same it would certainly help Steve Rotherham get the message across to those who matter.

Arise, Sir Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish, got a great ring to it, don't you think?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Apr 27, 2011 03:24:55 pm
      I remember saying it here (that he should be knighted) and obviously haven't changed my mind since then.

No one deserves it more than him.

For his football ability alone, he should be given it. After all he's the greatest player ever in the most successful club in Britain; and a very successful manager, the one and only to have won the league (and the double) as player/manager.

For all he's done out of a football ground, he's simply the perfect candidate for a knighthood.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,740 posts | 7174 
      Reply #19: Apr 27, 2011 06:37:01 pm
      In all honesty I dont know the value of such an "award". If Ferguson is the benchmark I personally wouldnt want to be in any club he belonged to he is an odious man.
      Kenny knows how we admire him as a human being .a footballer and as a manager. Being knighted could not add to our admiration or love.
      After all a man who won 3 European Cups in 8 years didn't get knighted but a man who has won 2 in over 25 years has. It is not a measure of anything worthy.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #20: Apr 27, 2011 07:30:26 pm

Ferguson's knighthood had F**k all to do with football, even Alastair Campbell admitted to that in that diary extracts book that was out a couple of years ago.

It was more to do with the help and advice he passed on to Blair before the 97 election. Blair and Campbell thought the best time to approach him about it was after the final in 99.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #21: Apr 27, 2011 10:07:33 pm
      Sir Kenny ha a lovely ring to it, pity it wasn't afforded to Paisley and Shanks the way it was to Busby and Charlton
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22: Apr 27, 2011 10:34:44 pm
      Personally, I think this whole knighthood thing is nonsense, considering some of the recipient's in the past. Kenny definitely deserves some kind of recognition for all his achievements, but a knighthood doesn't do him justice.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Re: MP Steve Rotheram tables motion to get Kenny Dalglish knighted
      Reply #23: May 05, 2011 12:16:49 am
      23 signatures

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-11/1733

Angela Eagle from Wallasey hasn't signed it.

Shaun Woodward hasn't signed it but I did have the following reply via email from his secretary.

Shaun Woodward thanks you for your message concerning a knighthood for Kenny Dalglish. As a member of the Shadow Cabinet, due to parliamentary convention  he is not able to sign Early Day Motions. This is because EDMs are parliamentary instruments used by backbench MPs to draw attention to an issue. For this reason he hopes you will understand why he is not able to sigh EDM 1733.

Nonetheless he has asked me to let you know that he will discuss with local MPs how they can take this forward. Other constituents have also contacted him about this and where possible he continues to assist any who come to him with issues that have arisen out of the Hillsborough tragedy.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #24: May 05, 2011 12:55:50 am
      Sir King Kenny seems a bit much doesn't it? I prefer him as our King to everybody's Sir!
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #25: May 05, 2011 01:01:59 am
      Should off been done years ago.Cant wait to see it Sir King Kenny.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #26: May 06, 2011 03:45:55 am
      Sir King Kenny seems a bit much doesn't it? I prefer him as our King to everybody's Sir!

Well marrying the Queen would be a bit much, he already has a wife.  ;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #27: May 06, 2011 08:42:27 am
      30 signatures now.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #28: May 06, 2011 10:08:53 am

Makes me laugh that only 1 name on that list is Tory. Does every little thing have to politically motivated? Every little bloody thing, even putting a signature on something as deserved as this.

Knobs.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #29: May 07, 2011 08:31:21 am
      Makes me laugh that only 1 name on that list is Tory. Does every little thing have to politically motivated? Every little bloody thing, even putting a signature on something as deserved as this.

Knobs.

It is the great equalizer, no matter which country you visit, there are knobs in politics.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #30: May 07, 2011 10:58:49 am
      It is the great equalizer, no matter which country you visit, there are knobs in politics.

Tis very true my friend, for some reason they think we should thank them as well.

F**k this, KENNY FOR PRIME MINISTER/PRESIDENT! (delete as appropriate)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #31: May 08, 2011 12:26:21 am
      Remember,the award of Knighthoods,has got f*ck all to do with competence,or compassion,otherwise Bob Paisley,should have definately got one for services to football.Over the last few years,this award has been "cheapened" by political motives,e.g. civil servants,or Olympic one hits.In my mind, Kenny Dalgleish,can stand alone as a man of ultimate integrety and compassion,who along with his wife,have continued to contribute a great deal to our community,as well as the football club.If as usual the Southern biased establishment refuse to recognise,the massive contribution of a legendary Liverpudlian Manager,then that is to their shame,to us he will always be the King.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #32: May 12, 2011 12:07:36 pm
      I emailed my MP and got a letter back this morning saying thank you for drawing the EDM to his attention and he had been delighted to sign. Toby Perkins Chesterfield.
      So to those non scouse reds on here don't think your MP won't back this if you ask.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #33: Nov 03, 2011 10:49:28 pm
      Wouldn't be surprised to see the Hillsborough files to be released then a day or two after, Kenny finally receiving his knighthood so that c**t Cameron can make out how in touch with the people of Liverpool he is especially when the files show Thatcher's cover up. Would give the Tories their perfect escape of the backlash if instantly afterwards Kenny gets his knighthood.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,740 posts | 7174 
      Reply #34: Nov 04, 2011 11:48:15 am
      Would want to be recognised by the people who award these things.Would he want to be in the same club as Ferguson.Kenny would take a EPL title anyday of the week.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #35: Nov 04, 2011 12:29:06 pm
      He absolutely deserves it, purely from a sporting, community service and having the best smile in the country perspective. My only problem is f***ing filthy Tories using it for their own political upstanding, proper scumbags.

I know it's been well discussed and documented but I've still yet to recieve a proper explanation for why Busby, Charlton and Fergie deserve their knighthoods more than Shanks, Paisley and Kenny? We all know the anti-Liverpool policies of the Thatcher government and the systematic alienation and stripping of industries throughout the 80s and 90s, but doesn't mean wrongs cannot be righted. I don't understand the the continuing Whitehall animosity nowadays.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #36: Nov 04, 2011 02:36:32 pm
      King Kenny sounds better than Sir Kenny Dalglish.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #37: Nov 04, 2011 02:45:19 pm
      What about Sir King Kenny Dalglish  :f_tongueincheek:
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #38: Nov 04, 2011 02:47:25 pm
      What about Sir King Kenny Dalglish  :f_tongueincheek:

Thats it....  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #39: Nov 04, 2011 03:20:29 pm
      This has nothing to do with politics it has all to do with personalities.

If there were any fairness in this world then Shanks and Paisley would have got it.

Don't forget when we first were winning European trophies, they were two legged knock-out games not yer "OK we'll field a weak team" or "we have enough points" in a group stage.
      There was no second chance to fail.

When Blair came in with his "Blair Babes" and being cool with the Gallaghers, it was all vote pulling.  Nothing more nothing less.

Has Whiskey Nose ever had to deal with anything like Hillsborough? No.

Does he tirelessly raise money for charity?  No.

No. He teaches his teams to berate and bully referees. He supports false racist claims from his players.

With ex players he is like a little kid.
      I don't want Gabriel Heinze but you cant have him na na na.
      FFS.

This is a man  knighted?

Do me a favour !

ARISE KING SIR KENNY !
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #40: Nov 05, 2011 03:39:55 am
      Wouldn't be surprised to see the Hillsborough files to be released then a day or two after, Kenny finally receiving his knighthood so that c**t Cameron can make out how in touch with the people of Liverpool he is especially when the files show Thatcher's cover up. Would give the Tories their perfect escape of the backlash if instantly afterwards Kenny gets his knighthood.

Absolutely bob on wonder what the odds are on that
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #41: Nov 05, 2011 06:38:30 am

The fuckers are masters of the art mate, when the sh*t hits the fan they have several distraction methods : embelish an alternative patronising news story, let the other member of the ConDem alliance deal with the crap or simply F**k off abroad and make a pantomime appearance smewhere near Afghanistan. The PA and bullshit department of the government have honed their trade to perfection, perfectly illustrated by the gullible souls who along with the aristocracy put these leeches in power.

Quick Reply