Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was our man of the match v Newcastle?

Spearing
      17 (11.2%)
      Lucas
      40 (26.3%)
      Suarez
      70 (46.1%)
      Maxi
      3 (2%)
      Kuyt
      20 (13.2%)
      Carragher
      1 (0.7%)
      Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Johnson
      1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Liverpool 3-0 Newcastle: Post Match Delight

Read 26350 times
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Newcastle: Post Match Delight
      Reply #345: May 01, 2011 06:16:13 pm
      Thought it was a fairly flat game, hardly a classic. 3-0, job done, move on. Made up Suarez got his goal.

Suarez MOTM for his goal, getting the pen and all-round play. Lucas was also brilliant today.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6968 
      Reply #346: May 01, 2011 06:16:16 pm
      Watched the first half - listened to the second half so don't feel able to vote in the MOTM poll, but great result.

Liverpool now are unrecognisable from the team earlier this season.  Even a few weeks ago I was still urging against people thinking we could claw our way in to the top 5.

What do I know.

Long live the King.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #347: May 01, 2011 06:35:36 pm
      Just leaving work now. Missed the game again  :f_steam:but made up with the result and looking forward to some decent highlights tonight.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #348: May 01, 2011 06:36:12 pm
      Never seen any of the game to be fair so cant comment on how we played or not, i will of course see either MOTD or LFCTV, it looks as tho it was a cruise tho and another statement that we are a force again, its a shame everything seems to be falling into place this late in the season instead of say back end of November where we would have gained more momentum, and posibly had a chance of being in the top 3 or 4 and CL football, thanks Roy, but hey, onwards and upwards, we have all of next season to look forward to and the anticipation, excitment, and joy of seeing Liverpool FC back where they belong, in amongst it and competing for top honours, bring it on, you never know, this time next year, we could be champions elect, now where did i put that betting slip?

IKWT    YNWA
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #349: May 01, 2011 06:42:58 pm
      Went for Spearing as my MOTM, could have been Lucas and Suarez easily of course - but for a lad who really has just been thrust in in recent weeks he has really impressed me, and he really is part of the team in his assured performances. It's something that really personifies the Kenny resurgance is that we have played some brilliant games with a pairing of Lucas and Spearing. Love it.

Not a pretty game for the most part, first half especially. But we didn't give them much apart from the set pieces (Joey Barton couldn't deliver the mail, let alone a F***ing decent kick) and made sure of it in the second half. Suarez really got into the game in the 2nd, and thats what got us the control. Brilliant run to get the ball for the penalty (also props to Reina for his distribution) and then some good play and a powerful finish for the third.

Definitely worth getting up at 4am for another great win :D Loving our run lately, considering the players we have out. 3-0, 1-1, 5-0, 3-0 - bloody brilliant. I remember under Hodgson wondering if we would ever have a positive GD, now its looking easy. Great stuff.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #350: May 01, 2011 07:06:14 pm
      Dont want the season to end. We really have put the theory to bed that we rely to heavily on gerrard. What a signing suarez is he is a nightmare for defenders can see him winni g us a lot of penos over the next few seasons. Have to say as well kuyt and suarez have been brilliant together in the last few weeks. Remember hodgson saying no manager would do better with this set of players. Kenny has fairly dispproved that statement
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #351: May 01, 2011 07:07:41 pm
      First half wasn't really anything to be raving about but I was impressed with out approach in the second half.

Was made up for Suarez to get his goal. He deserved that after all the craft and hard work he brings. Well done Maxi getting on the scoresheet again. And hats off to Kuyt for planting the pen with ease.

Nice clean sheet for Pepe and up to fifth. It's a testament to Kenny and the back room staff at how we've progressed.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #352: May 01, 2011 07:10:18 pm
      When you see a manager deploys no less than 3 players (4 or 5 at times) inside the opposition box, it tells us abput his intentions and it also tells us that the manager knows his stuff, that's King Kenny. Suarez, Maxi and Kuyt will excel inside the box, Kenny and Steven saw that and used it to great effect, but not the managers before him. We only had El sulk inside the box, but now we have at least 3 workhorses, Suarez, Kuyt and Maxi. We moved much faster with the ball to unsettle the opposition while it used to take us ages  to get out of our half. It's pretty frightening what Kenny and Steve has done with this group of players left behind by Woy, comes next season with a few quality additions I can't imagine what Kenny and Steve can do. Exciting times ahead.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #353: May 01, 2011 07:15:34 pm
      First half wasn't great but the second half was much, much better. Had a three goal cushion and yet closing down and pressuring high up.

Glad Suarez got a goal. Deserves that after all his hardwork and contribution in the last few weeks. Nice to see Maxi getting on the scoresheet again albeit off a deflection, was goalbound anyways. And Kuyt, haven't seen him miss a penalty since he arrived, if I remember rightly.

I thought Glen Johnson did extremely well in his first start after awhile as well. John Flanagan was having a little difficulties at RB against Jonas but Kenny sorted that out by switching Flanno with Glen. Mastermind, much?

As usual, Lucas and Spearing once again solid. I know Meireles probably hasn't been playing as well as he can but it was nice to see him making some sliding tackles to win the ball for a change.

All in all, a great win and probably a great weekend (could have been much better if City slipped up) for us in Red. 5th place and another cleansheet for Pepe Reina.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #354: May 01, 2011 07:33:55 pm
      Well done Lads, Just hope we can put Spurs back where they belong. BELOW US!
      bigbaz
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 389 posts |
      • A Proud Irish Scouser
      Reply #355: May 01, 2011 07:39:02 pm
      Went for Lucas myself for MoM. Its great to get all 3 points and 5th is looking more like our spot for this season (Hopefully) :scarf:
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #356: May 01, 2011 07:58:44 pm
      Just back from the match, brilliant perfomance espeically in the second half where we played some really high tempo pass and move football. Whole team was good agian, but Spearing was MOTM for me, his tackling was superb, countless times he stopped crosses and made interceptions, Lucas was good, Suarez dissapointed me in the first half BUT what a second half display from him, looked like he was going to do something everytime he got the ball. The only problem John Flanagan had today was the ref making a terrible descion which was to book him, brilliant move by Kenny to move him to left back away from the diving cheat Jonas. Overalla another great perfomance which moves us to 5th.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #357: May 01, 2011 08:00:48 pm
      An afternoon stroll this was. Nice and sunny. Had a nice walk into town afterwards. Gonna have some sausages and wedges now to make it a good day all around!

Also I voted for Maxi as MOTM. Thought he was excellent all over the park, but Im in a minority it seems :(
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #358: May 01, 2011 08:04:36 pm
      An afternoon stroll this was. Nice and sunny. Had a nice walk into town afterwards. Gonna have some sausages and wedges now to make it a good day all around!

Also I voted for Maxi as MOTM. Thought he was excellent all over the park, but Im in a minority it seems :(
      You're not the only one who thought Maxi was excellent but Spearing just pipped him for me.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #359: May 01, 2011 08:15:41 pm
      Kenny's clearly been out of the game too long.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #360: May 01, 2011 08:30:28 pm
      It was stated by neville c**t that he would be happy to finish ahead of us,so if we were in 15th place they would be happy with 14th place ,a proper bunch of tossers they are.

Interestingly, the only inspiration Everton has is LIVERPOOL FC. We we were under performing under Hodgson, they were crap. Now that we're fighting hard, they're creeping up too.

What can I say? FOLLOW THE LEADER.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #361: May 01, 2011 08:40:51 pm
      Interestingly, the only inspiration Everton has is LIVERPOOL FC. We we were under performing under Hodgson, they were crap. Now that we're fighting hard, they're creeping up too.

What can I say? FOLLOW THE LEADER.
      Tt"s nice to be able to inspire those who clearly need inspiration,16yrs without silverware. :lmao:
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #362: May 01, 2011 08:45:06 pm
      I thought my eyes were deceiving me because i saw Carra trying to play the ball on the ground throughout the game.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #363: May 01, 2011 09:06:06 pm
       What a difference a manager makes,it does my old heart good to know that Kenny is putting a team out who will fight for every ball and want to WIN.A brilliant performance and for me Suarez has to be man of the match and Reina comes second because he supplied us with the ammo for Suarez to get the penalty which Kuyt duly scored.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #364: May 01, 2011 09:06:24 pm
      I thought my eyes were deceiving me because I saw Carra trying to play the ball on the ground throughout the game.

Actually tried a quick ball from a free kick too, was extremely surprised.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #365: May 01, 2011 09:06:51 pm
      what a performance from the reds another clean sheet. saurez is incredible had a part in all three goals. he is on another level compared to torres. he seems to elevate players around him to another level of play. 
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #366: May 01, 2011 09:12:22 pm
      That was definitely worth the 4 am wake up. I have to say the atmosphere and game were kinda flat, but 3 points is 3 points, and another clean sheet is even better!

And how about the Toon counts booing Carroll? I think everyone knows he didn't WANT to leave, but what could he do? Pretty awful on their part. He has said nothing but great things about them and his hometown.

MOTM was Suarez for getting us 2 goals, but Kuyt's assist was great vision. Well done all around. Midfield was great at breaking up the play, and Lucas and Spearing both broke forward to have shots! Would we have seen that under the owl?
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #367: May 01, 2011 10:32:33 pm
      Honestly i thought it was a sh*te game,but before i get slated,it was a performance that will get us through stale game's that would in the past left us with only a pt. Encouraging for the title challenge next season. Great effort and result today boy's.

Quick Reply