Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

James McCarthy (Wigan)

Read 13887 times
      RedLFCBlood
      James McCarthy (Wigan)
      May 05, 2011 09:45:00 am
      Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish continues to keep tabs on Wigan's James McCarthy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1383595/Liverpool-boss-Kenny-Dalglish-continues-tabs-Wigans-James-McCarthy.html

Liverpool are continuing to monitor Wigan midfielder James McCarthy.

The Republic of Ireland international turned down Liverpool to join Wigan from Hamilton Academical for £1million in 2009.

But manager Kenny Dalglish rates him highly as he looks to bring in young talent to bolster his squad.

Dalglish sent his assistant Sammy Lee to watch the 20-year-old during the Latic's 1-1 draw with Everton last weekend.

Liverpool are also watching St Etienne's Idris Saadi, 18.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011 08:43:37 pm by Reslivo »
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Re: James McCarthy - Wigan
      Reply #1: May 05, 2011 10:53:10 am
      Very good player, young and bags of potential.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #2: May 05, 2011 12:13:15 pm
      Would love this - boys a talent
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #3: May 06, 2011 03:24:53 am
      There are a ton of links for this guy, all of them saying the same thing. I would love to bring him here, especially over Adam since McCarthy is a young talent coming through with bags of potential.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #4: May 06, 2011 04:24:46 am
      100% for buying James. Quality youngster.
      Only wish we had signes him 2 years ago and loaned him out when we were first linked to him.
      Hugely talented in my opinion.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #5: May 06, 2011 05:07:44 am
      I love reading all of these players we are linked with. Under H&G we would pick up players nearing the end of their prime or old turds on the downside of their careers. Now we are linked to all these young and upcoming players with great potential. What a difference in ownership my god.
      SuperSami4
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #6: May 06, 2011 12:42:34 pm
      Would love this signing to happen. With no disrespect to Shelvey, McCarthy is leaps and bounds ahead of him and has the potential in my opinion to be Gerrards long term successor. Really hope we sign him.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #7: May 06, 2011 01:01:01 pm
      Disagree that he is leaps and bounds ahead of Shelvey. Very good player but Shelvey has a big big future here.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #8: May 06, 2011 01:37:53 pm
      Would love to see the Irish man here,super little player.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #9: May 06, 2011 03:18:01 pm
      Shamed we cannot get him during Rafa in-charge as I read somewhere Rafa want to sign him from Hamilton (imo our club didn't try enough to get him before he join Wigan). Now it's much higher price to get him, and if he's really good as some posts above then we have to beat other teams too.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10: May 06, 2011 06:32:10 pm
      I remember Brian78 and myself saying during the whole season how good it would be to have him, my opinion haven't changed, I guess he would say the same ;D

Very talented young player, would be a terrific option in the squad at first, with potential to be a long term success as well
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #11: May 06, 2011 07:47:23 pm
      an excellent prospect and would also come in very handy right now. snap him up. maybe 6m might get him, less if wigan go down.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #12: May 06, 2011 07:48:43 pm
      Disagree that he is leaps and bounds ahead of Shelvey. Very good player but Shelvey has a big big future here.

i agree, shelvey definitely has future here. in no way ready for regular 11 just now but will be in the future.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Re: James McCarthy (Wigan)
      Reply #13: May 06, 2011 09:50:18 pm

Why not have them both. With Gerrard and Meireles getting on with age, we would have McCarthy and Shelvey (not to mention spearing and Lucas) to step in for them.

I would love to bring in McCarthy.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: May 07, 2011 11:02:09 am
      Yea, McCarthy certainly looks the part if we're looking for talent, potential and quality.

I'd love to see him here.
      McCr8
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 113 posts |
      Reply #15: May 07, 2011 12:01:48 pm
      I think he'd be a fantastic adition to our squad, his potential has shone through this season in the face of the clubs adversity
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16: May 07, 2011 05:43:49 pm
      I remember Brian78 and myself saying during the whole season how good it would be to have him, my opinion haven't changed, I guess he would say the same ;D

Still 100% with ye mate. Would be a top signing. Still learning but already at a good level and will get better and better and better
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #17: May 07, 2011 06:43:29 pm
      Well we all seem pretty unanimous in our opinions of him, quite rare.
      Pal318is
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #18: May 07, 2011 07:36:49 pm
      Well we all seem pretty unanimous in our opinions of him, quite rare.
      Nail on the head comes too mind...
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #19: May 07, 2011 07:47:44 pm
      Rumours on the ever reliable twitter are that we had Mel Johnson, one of our scouts, watching him at Villa Park today.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #20: May 07, 2011 09:34:47 pm
      Will be watching MOTD with interest...

I hope Wigan go down anyway.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #21: May 08, 2011 12:57:06 am
      Does he have the ability to add anything to our squad,or our Ressies?
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #22: May 21, 2011 10:46:32 am
      Chelsea and Liverpool told to cough up £20m for Wigan midfielder James McCarthy
      Wigan are set to stun Chelsea and Liverpool by asking around £20million for 20-year old James McCarthy, whom they signed from Hamilton two years ago for £1.2m.

The Scotland-born Republic of Ireland midfielder is a top summer target for both clubs after being watched repeatedly this season.

Should Wigan be relegated on Sunday, manager Roberto Martinez accepts that both may come in for McCarthy.

From the Daily Mail

No quotes and not much information but I just thought I'd post it.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #23: May 21, 2011 11:02:02 am
      Chelsea and Liverpool told to cough up £20m for Wigan midfielder James McCarthy
      Wigan are set to stun Chelsea and Liverpool by asking around £20million for 20-year old James McCarthy, whom they signed from Hamilton two years ago for £1.2m.

The Scotland-born Republic of Ireland midfielder is a top summer target for both clubs after being watched repeatedly this season.

Should Wigan be relegated on Sunday, manager Roberto Martinez accepts that both may come in for McCarthy.

From the Daily Mail

No quotes and not much information but I just thought I'd post it.

If that's true (and that's a huge IF) who still wants him? ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Reply #24: May 21, 2011 11:09:58 am
      Good player but F**k off if they want £20m for the lad.

Hope they go down though so we can get N'Zogbia and McCarthy on the cheap.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #25: May 21, 2011 11:11:24 am
      Ha ha what F***ing planet are english clubs living on
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #26: May 21, 2011 11:16:16 am
      It won't be even close to £20m if they go down. James and his agent will force the issue.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #27: May 21, 2011 11:18:38 am
      I have watched him a lot since I first heard his name mentioned years ago. He had a trial at Anfield and they offered him a contract but he felt he would progress better elsewhere. He is, in no doubt, a quality player but definitely not a £20m player.
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #28: May 21, 2011 11:35:33 am
      I have watched him a lot since I first heard his name mentioned years ago. He had a trial at Anfield and they offered him a contract but he felt he would progress better elsewhere. He is, in no doubt, a quality player but definitely not a £20m player.
      so how much is he worth
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #29: May 21, 2011 04:59:20 pm
      Deffo wouldn't shell out 20 for him. If they go down though we could get him at a discount price which, I think, will make Dalglish and Comolli jump at him.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: May 21, 2011 05:17:40 pm
      20 million my arse. Go get relegated you cu*ts. 6 max
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #31: May 21, 2011 10:09:22 pm
      LMAO
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #32: May 22, 2011 12:36:39 am

Dalglish draws up three-man midfielder shortlist

Published 23:31 21/05/11

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is targeting three players to fill his midfield for next season.

Dalglish has set his sights on Brazil international Diego, who plays for German club Wolfsburg and hot Wigan prospect James McCarthy.

The Merseysiders also have their eye on Writers’ Footballer of the Year Scott Parker, but seem destined to lose out to Tottenham in the race to sign the West Ham vice-captain.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-Transfer-news-Kenny-Dalglish-wants-Wolfsburg-Diego-Wigan-James-McCarthy-and-West-Ham-Scott-Parker-article738879.html
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #33: May 22, 2011 12:54:05 am
      Dalglish draws up three-man midfielder shortlist

Published 23:31 21/05/11

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is targeting three players to fill his midfield for next season.

Dalglish has set his sights on Brazil international Diego, who plays for German club Wolfsburg and hot Wigan prospect James McCarthy.

The Merseysiders also have their eye on Writers’ Footballer of the Year Scott Parker, but seem destined to lose out to Tottenham in the race to sign the West Ham vice-captain.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-Transfer-news-Kenny-Dalglish-wants-Wolfsburg-Diego-Wigan-James-McCarthy-and-West-Ham-Scott-Parker-article738879.html

Blah,blah,blah...........next thing you'll be I.T.K.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #34: May 22, 2011 01:27:55 pm
      The Mirror is so sh*t.

Obivously just read the other tabloids, and then put together this amazing shortlist of our transfer targets! Awesome!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #35: May 22, 2011 06:08:10 pm
      Blah,blah,blah...........next thing you'll be I.T.K.

Back the F**k off mate. He's posting things with links, he isn't acting like he is coming up with these rumors.

f***in' hell
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #36: May 22, 2011 07:28:55 pm
      I dont mind Wigan but was hoping they get relegated for this lad
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #37: May 22, 2011 07:56:37 pm
      Price will increase now I'm afraid.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #38: May 22, 2011 08:02:14 pm
      Gladly spend 20 million on him. I got over spending 35 on Carroll!!
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #39: May 22, 2011 09:29:15 pm
      would really like this lad to be anfield next season. has got a good blend of skill and work rate. would probably have to spend 14m on him in my opinion now that wigan have stayed up. maybe a touch too much but would welcome the deal.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #40: May 24, 2011 10:17:36 pm
      Found out today that he has his hair cut where I'm working.  Wonder if a pair of scissors round his ears can prise any info from him  >:D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #41: May 25, 2011 06:41:24 am
      Go on debs! :D
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #42: May 27, 2011 12:08:26 pm
      Liverpool closing in on £10m deal for McCarthy
      Liverpool are closing in on making James McCarthy their first summer signing after the midfielder told Wigan Athletic he has his heart set on a move to Anfield, talkaloadofbull.com can reveal.

Kenny Dalglish is a huge admirer of the 20-year-old and the Reds are believed to be willing to spend as much as £10 million to land one of the brightest prospects in the Premier League.

Chelsea are also understood to have registered an interest in McCarthy but talkaloadofbull.com understands the player has told Wigan executives he wants them to reach an agreement with Liverpool.

Wigan had initially asked for £16m for the Republic of Ireland international but there have been indications that they are now ready to soften their stance, with manager Roberto Martinez promised he can re-invest money raised from player sales.

"It is 90 per cent done, all sides now seem to accept it is going to happen and it's a matter of everyone trying to get the best deal," a source close to the talks told talkaloadofbull.com.

McCarthy turned down a move to Merseyside before joining Wigan for £1.2m from Scottish side Hamilton Academical in 2009 as he felt regular football would be better for his development. He now believes he has proven he is ready to take the next step and leave the DW Stadium.

McCarthy is under contract until 2014 but Wigan are regarded as a selling club by other English sides following the high profile transfers of Antonio Valencia and Wilson Palacios to Manchester United and Tottenham respectively.

While the Latics' financial game plan is based on selling players for a huge project, Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group want to build a squad based on the best young British talent.

McCarthy, who was born in Glasgow and can play either centrally or wide, fits that billing and Reds director of football Damien Comolli agrees with Dalglish that he will be a star of the future.

"Liverpool have shown the most interest for quite a while and have convinced him that it will be the best move to fulfil his potential," the source added. "Being a Glaswegian from a Celtic-supporting family, working with Dalglish is obviously a big factor as well."

Anfield legend Dalglish took over from Roy Hodgson in January and is planning significant moves in the summer transfer market after signing a three-year contract last month.

Along with Comolli, the club have identified a number of targets as they look to bolster the squad by signing at least two wide men, a central midfielder, a left-back and a centre-back.

Aston Villa star Ashley Young is their No.1 target as Dalglish looks to bring in a new winger, with Sylvain Marveaux also expected to arrive from Rennes on a free transfer. The Reds have also registered an interest in £20m-rated Eden Hazard, the attacking midfielder at Lille who is a target for a number of leading European clubs.

Liverpool have shown a strong interest in Bolton centre-back Gary Cahill and Blackburn's Phil Jones, while Newcastle star Jose Enrique is their first choice left-back.
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/liverpool-closing-in-on-10m-deal-for-mccarthy

Interesting..
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #43: May 27, 2011 02:33:49 pm
      If McCarthy joins, surely that means Charlie Adam won't, unless other midfielders are being sold ...
      Comatorium
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 696 posts |
      Reply #44: May 27, 2011 03:50:54 pm
      Hopefully the deal will encompass both McCarthy and N'Zogbia.
      Both very talented and promising players.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: May 27, 2011 06:23:06 pm
      It has to be either McCarthy or Adam, both players are a gamble. I've taken a particular interest in McCarthys career being Irelands best prospect in a while.

I think the lad could be a decent signing but I think he is still has a lot of work to do before he would be good enough to be a first team player at Liverpool.

Â£10 million is a lot for the lad because he is more potential than anything but thats what happens when you buy from English clubs
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #46: Jun 02, 2011 12:48:17 pm
      Wigan Chairman hints at potential exit of star
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/wigan-chairman-hints-at-potential-exit-of-star
      2nd Jun 2011 - Transfer Gossip   
       Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has admitted the club could be set to lose Liverpool target James McCarthy.

Most Recent Gossip Black Cats reject Henderson bid Dalglish in chase for Henderson Gulacsi set for loan next season Wigan Chairman hints at potential exi… Liverpool lead £13m chase for Hender… talkaloadofbull.com exclusively revealed last week that the sought-after 20-year-old was on the verge of a £10 million move to Anfield, with Kenny Dalglish said to be a huge admirer.

The admission of the Wigan chairman will do little to prevent further rumours of an exit for McCarthy, who has also been linked with moves to Arsenal and Chelsea.

Whelan said: "James is a quality young player and the intention is to be keeping hold of players of that calibre.

"In the end, of course, you have to let them go, there's no question about that. It's how long you can keep there here and it also depends on what the lad himself wants to do."

McCarthy played a key role in Wigan's survival run-in, playing in their last 15 games of the season and scoring two goals to help the Latics overcome relegation rivals Blackburn in February.

He was also capped by the Republic of Ireland for the first time in March and has now played for his country three times.

Source: talkaloadofbull.com

I know it's from GOAL, but it has quotes accepting the kid will move on.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #48: Jun 03, 2011 04:08:45 pm
      Source: talkaloadofbull.com
        :roll:
      Still ,hope it's true as we all seem to be pretty much in agreement that McCathy would be a good signing.
      sergio tachini
      • Banned

• 156 posts |
      Reply #49: Jun 03, 2011 04:42:00 pm
      Its a bit dear 14 million, i would say no, henderson too. I think we might be buying too many english players, the only reason kenny is doing this is to win the league, as we can win the english league with english type players but we will be snookered in the champions league (WHEN WE GET THERE)
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #50: Jun 03, 2011 04:45:44 pm
      Its a bit dear 14 million, I would say no, henderson too. I think we might be buying too many english players, the only reason kenny is doing this is to win the league, as we can win the english league with english type players but we will be snookered in the champions league (WHEN WE GET THERE)

Well I'd take winning the league over the champions league any day of the week. Although I like forgein players more because they are technically better.

As long as we go for the best English prospects I'd be pleased, like Jones, McCarthy, Albrighton. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #51: Jun 03, 2011 04:49:09 pm
      By the time Rodolfo and Segura have churned out a few regular first teamers who'se to say we can't produce technical players. Oh and get James in :)
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #52: Jun 03, 2011 04:54:03 pm
      Yes yes for 10m! This kid is going to be a very very good player in my books. If he was English he'd be going for 20m like Henderson.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #53: Jun 03, 2011 06:07:53 pm
      Excelent player IMO. Could move straight into the first 11. Kenny has got the best out of Spearo this season and is much appreciated but that was his level and i just dont think he will improve anymore than what we,ve seen. Sorry just my opinion. James McCarthy is the future.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #54: Jun 03, 2011 06:15:29 pm
      £10 million is a gamble watched a lot of McCarthy being our best prospect in a while and think people are going overboard on the praise of him. Has a decent chance but far from the top player he is being made out as.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #55: Jun 03, 2011 06:21:22 pm
      I think it would be a good move for us. He,s young, and has potencial. We have Shelvey here i know but McCarthy has had a full season playing premier league football with Wigan. Shelvey is 19 and has had a bit part role this season. I,d loan him out next season to someone like Swansea ( i,m being bias as i,m Welsh ) and give him a full season there then re assess.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #56: Jun 03, 2011 06:21:44 pm
      If we sign him, we'll have 7 center mids (Stevie, Spearing, Shelvey, Lucas, Raul, Aquilani and McCarthy).

I know we have to have enough depth to cover injuries and it doesn't hurt to have plenty of cover, but presumably we'll be playing with 2 up front in Carroll and Suarez, meaning only 2 center mids. How are we going to keep 7 players happy when there are only 2 slots to compete for?

I just think the £10M could be better spent elsewhere I.E left back, center back etc.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #57: Jun 03, 2011 06:23:20 pm
      He will be no where near the first 11 next season if we sign him, I think the club should be more focused on first 11 players
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #58: Jun 03, 2011 06:25:58 pm
      If we sign him, we'll have 7 center mids (Stevie, Spearing, Shelvey, Lucas, Raul, Aquilani and McCarthy).

I know we have to have enough depth to cover injuries and it doesn't hurt to have plenty of cover, but presumably we'll be playing with 2 up front in Carroll and Suarez, meaning only 2 center mids. How are we going to keep 7 players happy when there are only 2 slots to compete for?

I just think the £10M could be better spent elsewhere I.E left back, center back etc.

that's assuming Aquilani actually comes back, of course.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #59: Jun 03, 2011 06:27:04 pm

And we manage to F**k off Poulsen! :D
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #60: Jun 03, 2011 06:27:26 pm

Totally, but to me Aquilani to McCarthy represents a massive step down in quality.

And we manage to F**k off Poulsen! :D

Didn't even bother to include him.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #61: Jun 19, 2011 11:12:18 pm

Wigan to offer star youngster a new deal

Published 23:02 19/06/11
      By Alan Nixon

Wigan boss Robert Martinez is ready to offer star youngster James McCarthy a new deal - and keep him out of the clutches of Liverpool and Chelsea.

The Republic of Ireland midfielder was tracked by the two giants last season but Martinez has told him to stay with Latics and now chairman Dave Whelan is coming up with a pay rise for him.

McCarthy is settled in the area and is in no rush to move - and talks have started with his agent about an extension and hike from the salary he signed for when he came from Hamilton.

Liverpool opted to take Jordan Henderson rather than McCarthy while Chelsea see him as a young squad man, so the Glasgow-born prospect is happy to take a new deal at Wigan in the meantime.

Martinez’s decision to snub Aston Villa and commit to Wigan has also played a part in McCarthy’s thinking and tying him down will mean one less job for the Spanish boss this summer.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wigan-transfer-news-James-McCarthy-to-be-offered-new-deal-to-stay-away-from-Liverpool-and-Chelsea-article749538.html
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #62: Jun 20, 2011 12:05:43 am
      Not for me thanks!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #63: Jun 20, 2011 12:07:59 am

Is there anyone, who is a reasonable target, you do want?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #64: Jun 20, 2011 12:38:32 am
      Is there anyone, who is a reasonable target, you do want?

I want Dabid Beeya, cause he drinks Sangria, off his tits dancing in Wigan Pier.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #65: Jun 21, 2011 03:05:27 am
      With Blackpool reportedly taking the piss over Adam, I can see a lot more potential in this deal coming off.

Excellent young player. And for £10m, a bargain at that. 
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #66: Jun 21, 2011 05:49:16 am
      ya i wouldn't mind 10 mil for a talented player but priority first.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #67: Jul 30, 2011 10:47:36 am
      Liverpool prepare bid for Wigan midfielder James McCarthy 

The Republic of Ireland international has seen contact talks at the DW Stadium stall and the Reds head the list of clubs ready to come in for the talented youngster

The Republic of Ireland international has seen contact talks at the DW Stadium stall and the Reds head the list of clubs ready to come in for the talented youngster

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/30/2597072/liverpool-prepare-bid-for-wigan-midfielder-james-mccarthy

Another Midfielder??
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #68: Jul 30, 2011 11:09:13 am
      Good player but another CM. :mad:
      I would only take him if we sell Poulsen, Cole and Aqua or Meireles
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2011 11:15:25 am by OoLiaaaaaMoO »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #69: Jul 30, 2011 11:56:58 am
      Just what we are short of .......another midfield player :)
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #70: Jul 30, 2011 12:32:29 pm
      I would only take him if we sell Poulsen, Cole and Aqua or Meireles

Exactly, and I would add Shelvey on loan to that list. Otherwise whats the f*cking point? Big fan of him though, he's getting better and better
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #71: Jul 30, 2011 12:52:56 pm
      How many centre mids do we want. The lads agent is only using us to get a better contract
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #72: Jul 30, 2011 01:09:00 pm
      How many centre mids do we want. The lads agent is only using us to get a better contract

Think we need to ask how many are we getting rid of in the closing weeks, McCarthy fits the new owners profile and I think there is some mileage in this.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #73: Jul 30, 2011 01:15:18 pm
      I don't think there's such a thing as having too many "good" players, competition is good, stops complacency creeping. Although some of our "lesser" midfielders may need to go.
      AlfarinIcebreaker
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #74: Jul 30, 2011 01:53:49 pm
      Not a chance in hell with all the players we have in midfield. Even with Gerrard injured, we have 8 CMs on our payroll.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #75: Jul 30, 2011 02:55:04 pm
      What is the point in targetting another centre midfielder? A left back and a winger/back up striker is what we need.
      achilleas10
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      • Born Red, Live Red, Die Red
      Reply #76: Jul 30, 2011 02:56:09 pm
      Don't worry. We could use Adams as a left back, Aqua as a central defender and Meireles as a striker. Imafine that team:

Reina
      Johnson   Hendo     Aqua         Adams
                   Lucas        Spearing
      Suarez         Gerrard             Downing
                         Meireles

The only problem is where the f*ck should we put Poulsen...
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,267 posts | 1230 
      Reply #77: Jul 30, 2011 02:57:51 pm
      He's an excellent prospect but we god knows we've got enough central midfielders as it is.

Reckon the Manc's might go for him.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #78: Jul 30, 2011 02:59:40 pm
      Don't worry. We could use Adams as a left back, Aqua as a central defender and Meireles as a striker. Imafine that team:

Reina
      Johnson   Hendo     Aqua         Adams
                   Lucas        Spearing
      Suarez         Gerrard             Downing
                         Meireles

The only problem is where the f*ck should we put Poulsen...

From what I have seen he should play left out.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #79: Jul 30, 2011 03:11:31 pm
      I'm willing to bet anyone here that we don't see McCarthy arriving this window
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #80: Jul 30, 2011 03:26:50 pm
      I'm willing to bet anyone here that we don't see McCarthy arriving this window

I think I'll back corb with this one. Not going to happen, unless we see some outgoing central mids.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #81: Jul 30, 2011 03:29:24 pm
      I personally think it was McCarthy or Henderson and our scouts recommended Henderson
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #82: Jul 30, 2011 03:30:38 pm
      I personally think it was McCarthy or Henderson and our scouts recommended Henderson

I think you might be right and we got the right man defo!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #83: Jul 30, 2011 04:04:01 pm

Who the F**k is this 'Adams' fella? We've got a Charlie Adam...
      achilleas10
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      • Born Red, Live Red, Die Red
      Reply #84: Jul 30, 2011 04:19:00 pm
      Who the f**k is this 'Adams' fella? We've got a Charlie Adam...

Don't you know him??? Is our 9th CM... :P

Sorry, my fault. I suppose I should not post something unless I check it first. ;)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #85: Jul 30, 2011 10:31:28 pm
      Agree totally, no chance this deal is going to happen in this window. Believe we have watched him and he does have potential but like is already said we have the better of the two prospects and I'm happy to let this one slide until next year when he may be available a little cheaper.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #86: Jul 31, 2011 12:46:35 am
      I think you are right there. If we shift about 2 or 3 CMs i see this happening as Kenny really rates him but i doubt we will get him.

Quick Reply