Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Why We'll Beat Spurs For 5th - Touch Wood

Read 16628 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Re: Why We'll Beat Spurs For 5th - Touch Wood
      Reply #23: May 05, 2011 04:41:33 pm
      5th really?

Oh yes i can hardly wait for another season in the Most exciting European competition that is the Europa league how my heart is sent into flutter with the mere mention of such notable European opponents Like...KC Rabotnicki or Utrect(worst game in history) how i revelled in the amazing atmospheres created at such games....And i just loved having to go to the games just in case we got to the final and i'd have a chance of getting a ticket.

We were lamentable away from home in this competition this season and the last and not much better at home,lets save ourselves for what really matters i'm sure Kenny won't be losing any sleep over missing out on this or Harry for that matter...

Anyone agree?

No we aim to win all competitions, and this is no different not to me anyhow.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #24: May 05, 2011 04:42:44 pm
      Oh, you're back. Ok, someone will agree.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #25: May 05, 2011 04:49:10 pm
      Getting into Europe at any level makes the club a more attractive proposition to potential signings, regardless of your opinion of the competition. Plus it's one more competition where we may have the opportunity to blood young players.

getting into the europa doesnt make us more attractive at all. we are just as attractive with or without that, now the champs league on the other hand...

yeah we did well blooding the younsgters this year didnt we.... IF & thats a big if they play then im all for it. indeed if we do get in Id like to see approx 3 from the first team, 3 squad players & then the rest from youth play every game, regardless of how far we get. id like to see this in the carling cup as well. of course depends on who we sign.

eg.

pepe

flannagan........carra.. .....kelly...........rob inson
      ..................speari ng.....lucas
      kuyt.................... ........................ sterling
      .............pacheco/suso...carrol

MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #26: May 05, 2011 04:49:44 pm
      No we aim to win all competitions, and this is no different not to me anyhow.

we didnt this year...
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #27: May 05, 2011 04:52:24 pm

care to elaborate & offer decent reason? im a realistic kind of chap that see's things how they actually are. care to put some facts down to back up your euphoria.

& before you say it, im actually quite optimistic about next year, reall ylooking forward to it & think if we can make 2 or 3 real quality signings then we might be in with a shout. I DONT THINK 5TH & THE EUROPA IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR LFC THOUGH
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #28: May 05, 2011 04:56:51 pm
      We should aim to finish as high as possible in the league. Whatever competitions come with that finish we should aim to win.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #29: May 05, 2011 04:57:25 pm
      Stop being so bloody negative mickeyscouse  :roll:
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #30: May 05, 2011 05:02:04 pm
      Stop being so bloody negative mickeyscouse  :roll:

eh?

whats negative about "im actually quite optimistic about next year, reall ylooking forward to it & think if we can make 2 or 3 real quality signings then we might be in with a shout. I DONT THINK 5TH & THE EUROPA IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR LFC THOUGH"

its truthfull about the club! this year has been awful as was last, not good enough for this club & thinking that 5th is some kind of achievement doesnt sit well with me. however i see green grass growing quickly again & have expressed that.

its the way it actually is. not negative, reflective & truthfull.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #31: May 05, 2011 05:06:43 pm

Aimed at moi or Mickey?

Anyway I couldn't help feeling like a right sap this season at these excitingly mouthwatering occasions and do you know next season I'm going to skip them just as I did the season before when we qualified by getting knocked out of the European cup so in doing we qualified by being not good enough for the main event which sums up the Europa league quite nicely....The not good enough for the main event competition,the appease the big boys by being losers competition,the didn't this use to mean something competition,the half empty stadium competition the reserve competition,the blood the new breed competition,the really do I have to spend another £28 to watch that when really we could do without it and rest our players to better prepare them for more important matters like all the relevant domestic trophies on offer competition....It's rubbish lets face it,no one gets up for it not even Colin Murry or Matt Smith can muster much when presenters of their TV stations..

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #32: May 05, 2011 05:09:16 pm
      care to elaborate & offer decent reason? im a realistic kind of chap that see's things how they actually are.

Every now and then, a poster will come along who constantly disagrees with the majority, you fit that profile. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, did I?

care to put some facts down to back up your euphoria.

'Euphoria' is an odd choice of word, I'm not dancing around my house with a smile on my face singing, "hooray, he's back!' So not sure exactly what you meant there. Is that really what you meant or did you just pick a random word that sounded nice?

I DONT THINK 5TH & THE EUROPA IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR LFC THOUGH

On this I think we all agree. However given the sh*t state we were left in by the previous owners and Roy 'EPL survival will do' Hodgson, 5th place and European football would be an amazing achievement and I would take it over 6th and F**k all else any day.

Either way, triple posting is not really necessary, is it?

Mickey.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #33: May 05, 2011 05:09:58 pm
      Aimed at moi or Mickey?

Anyway i couldn't help feeling like a right sap this season at these excitingly mouthwatering occasions and do you know next season i'm going to skip them just as i did the season before when we qualified by getting knocked out of the European cup so in doing we qualified by being not good enough for the main event which sums up the Europa league quite nicely....The not good enough for the main event competition,the appease the big boys by being losers competition,the didn't this use to mean something competition,the half empty stadium competition the reserve competition,the blood the new breed competition,the really do i have to spend another £28 to watch that when really we could do without it and rest our players to better prepare them for more important matters like all the relevant domestic trophies offers  competition....It's rubbish lets face it,no one gets up for it not even Colin Murry or Matt Smith can muster much when presenters of their TV stations..

Haven't you heard, Colin Murray presents MOTD2 on a Sunday now.

Since we already have blooded some youngsters, have Carroll and possibly a few new players in the summer, it would be seen as a way of getting some more European experience for those players, much in the same way 2001 was for the likes of Gerrard, Owen etc.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,687 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: May 05, 2011 05:11:58 pm
      Some serious Champions League snobs after rocking into the thread. If we get into Europe it's a good opportunity to blood youngsters early in the season. It's also a trophy to aim for with some great games later on
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #35: May 05, 2011 05:20:13 pm

Every now and then, a poster will come along who constantly disagrees with the majority, you fit that profile. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, did I?

'Euphoria' is an odd choice of word, I'm not dancing around my house with a smile on my face singing, "hooray, he's back!' So not sure exactly what you meant there. Is that really what you meant or did you just pick a random word that sounded nice?

On this I think we all agree. However given the sh*t state we were left in by the previous owners and Roy 'EPL survival will do' Hodgson, 5th place and European football would be an amazing achievement and I would take it over 6th and f**k all else any day.

Either way, triple posting is not really necessary, is it?

Mickey.

for a start sorry, but i dont know who to do all this mulitple quote stuff so regrettably (as it annoys you) i triple post.. again apologies..

now then... what have i disagreed with - that europa doesnt attract top players, that 5th isnt good enough, that europa league isnt for liverpool? or was it when i stated the optimism i approach the comming season with? what have i disagreed with to lead you to make a statement about me constantly disagreeing with the majority?

i meant the euphoric way you & others come across (or seem to & it wasnt really aimed specifically at you anyway - others in the thread) about how well we have done this year

we were never going down, thats quite simply wrong & silly. how many points from 5 or 6th were we at the worst again? but of course i agree we turned a corner & of course are alot happy sitting where we are - however that doesnt make it acceptable.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #36: May 05, 2011 05:22:32 pm
      Some serious Champions League snobs after rocking into the thread. If we get into Europe it's a good opportunity to blood youngsters early in the season. It's also a trophy to aim for with some great games later on

;D

you for real?

champs league is what clubs that are the best in europe are all about. europa is a very poor cousin. LIVERPOOL football club is one of the top 5 in the world & that means we should be challenging for the best not playing at 5 on a thursday in channel 5 with colin plonkdick murrey passing judgment (its about as good as is wind)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #37: May 05, 2011 05:24:22 pm
      that europa league isnt for liverpool?

Was in 2001 when I and possibly about 30,000 other scousers and a further 20,000 Reds went to Dortmund and had a boss time.

Basically what you want is for us to be in the CL every season, but for that to happen you need a team that is experienced enough in European competition. The Europa next season could offer our players that.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #38: May 05, 2011 05:25:14 pm
      I DONT THINK 5TH & THE EUROPA IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR LFC THOUGH

You do remember what happened towards the end of last year right?

We're in a rebuilding phase and as far as I'm concerned we're a way in front of schedule.

You appear to be a tad short on patience, most of us were expecting a long phase of regrowth but you appear to want it all now.

Oh, and stop shouting.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #39: May 05, 2011 05:25:46 pm

Since we already have blooded some youngsters, have Carroll and possibly a few new players in the summer, it would be seen as a way of getting some more European experience for those players, much in the same way 2001 was for the likes of Gerrard, Owen etc.

i we do that, then it might help for the future. but to suggest that in some way makes it acceptable or something we should be happy with doesnt sit with me.

Im not bothered if we are in it or not. sorry, i want better for us. that said, like i have already said (which some seem to ignore) like you a feel it could be a good vehicle for youth if used correctly
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #40: May 05, 2011 05:26:11 pm
      ;D

you for real?

champs league is what clubs that are the best in europe are all about. europa is a very poor cousin. LIVERPOOL football club is one of the top 5 in the world & that means we should be challenging for the best not playing at 5 on a thursday in channel 5 with colin plonkdick murrey passing judgment (its about as good as is wind)

Again, who presents Channel 5's coverage.

Think you'll find it is Jim Rosenthal these days.

And I'll say it again the Europa or the Uefa, whatever you want to call the F***ing thing, was good enough for us in 73, 76 and 2001 and will be good enough for us again!
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #41: May 05, 2011 05:28:21 pm
      You do remember what happened towards the end of last year right?

We're in a rebuilding phase and as far as I'm concerned we're a way in front of schedule.

You appear to be a tad short on patience, most of us were expecting a long phase of regrowth but you appear to want it all now.

Oh, and stop shouting.

yep - who could forget. we were in a place that i though we would finish 6th, perhaps 5th & even snatch 4th. i dont knee jerk after a game or too. i never for 1 second thought we were going down or wouldnt finish top 6

a tad short of patience..? ;D ive followed since about 78 so you cant throw that at me!
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #42: May 05, 2011 05:30:26 pm
      Again, who presents Channel 5's coverage.

Think you'll find it is Jim Rosenthal these days.

And I'll say it again the Europa or the Uefa, whatever you want to call the f**king thing, was good enough for us in 73, 76 and 2001 and will be good enough for us again!

well that just makes it even worse!

wasnt good enough for LFC then & it isnt now. better than nothing is what you mean. of course it was enjoyable but its not what this great huge beast of a club is about
      LFCexiled
      Reply #43: May 05, 2011 05:34:58 pm
      yep - who could forget. we were in a place that i though we would finish 6th, perhaps 5th & even snatch 4th. i dont knee jerk after a game or too. i never for 1 second thought we were going down or wouldnt finish top 6

a tad short of patience..? ;D ive followed since about 78 so you cant throw that at me!

What are you on? You been to Wetherspoons this avvy?

I'm talking about towards the end of last year. Two F***ing yanks, hodgson, poulsen, konchesky, some of the worst football I've seen Liverpool play.

We're rebuilding a faltering squad, being in the Europa will assist that. It might not have the cache that you want but it'll help us build. I for one would have found the silver lining in the cloud if we never got there but to not want us there from one who's been a fan for a reputed 33 years is confusing to say the least.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #44: May 05, 2011 05:35:22 pm

Really?

So Paisley learnt F**k-all about European teams, players didn't get further experience which led to winning the big one in 77.

Players like Gerrard, Carragher, Owen, Heskey and others who hadn't played as much European football didn't learn a thing from playing in that run in 2001?

To me and a lot of the lads I travelled to Dortmund with it meant a lot and still means a lot even today.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #45: May 05, 2011 05:36:13 pm
      now then... what have i disagreed with

In terms of this thread, you have agreed with the sentiment that we'd be better off out of the Europa. A sentiment that, I'm guessing, will go against general concensus. Obviously as I said, "oh, you're back" that would suggest that I'm already aware of you and your posts elsewhere on the forum. I'm not going fill this thread with replies to you personally but I'll say again, I didn't suggest that disagreeing was a bad thing in itself so there's little need to be so defensive.

we were never going down, thats quite simply wrong & silly. how many points from 5 or 6th were we at the worst again? but of course i agree we turned a corner & of course are alot happy sitting where we are - however that doesnt make it acceptable.
      At times under Roy we were closer, in points terms, to relegation than 6th so although it seems a distant memory now, it's by no means silly to suggest that we were in danger of going down. It's easy for anyone to say now, 'I told you we'd be safe' but things have changed immeasurably since Kenny took charge.
      Again, 5th place is not acceptable and we all know it so I'm not sure why you keep making that point. It's the best we can realisitically achieve now so surely the higher we finish the better?

for a start sorry, but i dont know who to do all this mulitple quote stuff so regrettably (as it annoys you) i triple post.. again apologies..

Click on 'Quote' next to the post that you want to quote then write your reply. If you want to then quote another person, scroll back to their post and do the same again, it will just be added to the reply you're writing. No need to apologise to me, I'm just saving you from getting a warning for it at some point.

Quick Reply