Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

A season in review - a tale of two halves

Read 2519 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      A season in review - a tale of two halves
      May 22, 2011 07:53:23 pm
      Well there it is 2010/11 season done and dusted. What a strange season. First off Id normally be hugely down finishing 6th and with back to back defeats. Yet there looked a time we might be one of the teams involved in the dramatics of the relegation battle that took place today but the recovery made and the improvement in the football played has be feeling quite happy right now

Pre January was ridiculous. Crap football, crap results.Poor signings. A manager out of his depth and 2 cowboy owners in charge. Europa league was almost a blessing back then to escape the gutless passionless performances being served up in the league. A potential other escape withthe league cup was ruined by the mighty Northampton, at Anfield. God even writing this now has me thinking did it really happen.. Hodgson was lost. A somewhat likeable man I really hoped would do well, alas it turns out hes a midtable manager who should never have been near our club.

Our first sign of hope, and most important, was mid October when the club was sold and finally out of the hands of the the 2 muppetts. And to date we seem to have found owners who are polar opposites to those 2 clowns. Our second and perhaps equally as important came on January 8th. Kenny Dalglish appointed caretaker. The whole club is lifted. Within weeks were playing attacking football and banging in goals. We sign Suarez and Carroll and blood young talent like Flanagan. By the end of April were talking about can we get 4th!

As it turns out were out of Europe next season, would have been good for blooding young lads, but might be a blessing in our bid to challenge for the title. A summer of spending on good quality to add to a good squad already in place and of course Kenny confirmed a sboss for 3 years and you cant help but wish next season started in 2 weeks!! Lots of positives since January, lots.The right signings in the summer and we will not be far off next season

Final note. If Kenny was appointed last summer where would be now? We can speculate but this time next year we will have our answer

Y.N.W.A

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011 09:54:25 pm by JD »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: A season in review- A tale of 2 halfs
      Reply #1: May 22, 2011 08:16:34 pm
      This season was sealed as a failure (with a little bit of hind site), when H&G et al appointed Roy Hodgson as manager.

A man way out of his comfort zone. If H&G had appointed Kenny as manager would it have been different?

Well I do not really know. Torres would have been here too, would he have performed?

Would we have had Steve Clark? I don't know.

We would not have bought half if not all of the dead wood Hodgson did, that's for sure. But would we have got our new No. 7&9. I think we may not have.

Kenny may have brought in the Youth that has to be fair done so well when asked to, and Flanagan, well he may have saved the club a good few bob.

But here is a question. With Kenny in charge, would NAPM have been so successful, would H&G still be in charge, would FSG have come in and taken over?

I think we should just be happy that H&G have gone, and we have new owners.

We may not have had the best season on the pitch, but one thing for sure, it sure as hell been one hell of a Roller Coaster of a year.

Sleepless nights, protests, demo's, e-mail campaigns, Court cases in London and Texas! An Epic swindle. AND THE KING HAS RETURNED!

Enjoy the summer, fasten your seat belts, the Ride is just about to begin.

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #2: May 22, 2011 08:34:46 pm
      I don't think NAPM had any effect Redpuppy. FSG would still have come in.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: May 22, 2011 08:45:50 pm
      I don't think NAPM had any effect Redpuppy. FSG would still have come in.

NAPM had a big effect. The shops were empty, esp in LiverpoolOne.

But if we had been playing well on the pitch, would people have been so eager not to buy stuff?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: A season in review - a tale of two halves
      Reply #4: May 22, 2011 10:25:57 pm
      We had to hit rock bottom hard before things were going to get better. That's exactly what happened.

3 years of ownership under Dumb and Dumber in which 2010 was the worst possibly under them. Arrival of an face rubbing Roy Hodgson who reminded us of the Liverpool way going missing, sulky former number 9 who decided to jumpship and poor results and performances majority of the week for the first 5 months under Roy.

Fast forward to May 2011. New and much more reliable owners, FSG have been in for about 7 months. Kenny Dalglish - the return of the king to bring back the glory days as he once brought us back in late 1980s. Arrival of batman and robin, both whom make the 50 million pounds from Chelsea look free.

All in all, this wasn't the best season we've had but we did finish a place higher. Considering the position we were on January 7th 2011, finish 6th winning 10 of 18 games (also against Man City, Man United, Chelsea for example) and to be in touching distance of a European spot (something which looked impossible half a year ago) is a remarkable achievement.

I would like to thank FSG for their quick act, Kenny Dalglish and Steve Clarke for instilling belief, togetherness, spirit and unity to the team which looked to have drained out and giving the fans something cheer about. I'd like to thank Luis Suarez for making me jizz the last few months.

Time and time again, we keep saying that there will always be light at the end of the tunnel (just hope it's not a train!) but they turned out to be false signs but roll on next season, I have a good feeling about the events surround the club next month.

2011/2012 is going to be legen ... wait for it .......
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #5: May 22, 2011 11:02:07 pm
      These four have all fu**ed off

And he's come back

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #6: May 22, 2011 11:38:21 pm
      I love rollercoasters normally but this is one that I never want to experience again.  What a season, on and off the pitch!

Getting rid of the cancers was so important.  The damage that pair did, along with the snake purslime was shocking.  We were on the brink of administration ffs.

The epic takeover by FSG.  What a joyful time that was!

Hodgson's managerial "reign" was catastrophic.  The man was a deluded fool who didn't have a clue.  Have absolutely no respect for him after his after match interviews.  And he landed us with Koncheskey and Poulsen and possibly got rid of one of our better midfielders in Aquilani, the F***ing idiot.

And then that morning in January when the news started to break that he was gone and Kenny was coming back as caretaker manager.  The appointment of Steve Clarke.  The promise of a break in the stormy clouds at last.

The "is he coming/is he not coming" saga of Luis Suarez's transfer.  A few days before the transfer window closed feeling the sickening heartache of realising that our (then) idol Torres didn't want to be here and was off, then the amazing news that we'd landed Andy Carroll on deadline day.

We still had a few downs since then, but on the whole, the football we've been playing with our "rubbish" squad (according to the owl) has got us rubbing our hands in anticipation of next season.  Suarez has been a breath of fresh air, he's so dangerous, you never know what he's going to come up with.  We have youth coming through and doing really well, the Academy and Reserves came so close to winning their respective leagues.  There's a real team spirit at the club now and it's wonderful to see that.

I can't wait to see what we do in the summer transfer market, and I really can't wait for the start of the 2011/12 season, albeit our first without European football for a few years.  Bring it on!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #7: May 23, 2011 12:15:16 am
      I love rollercoasters normally but this is one that I never want to experience again.  What a season, on and off the pitch!

Getting rid of the cancers was so important.  The damage that pair did, along with the snake purslime was shocking.  We were on the brink of administration ffs.

The epic takeover by FSG.  What a joyful time that was!

Hodgson's managerial "reign" was catastrophic.  The man was a deluded fool who didn't have a clue.  Have absolutely no respect for him after his after match interviews.  And he landed us with Koncheskey and Poulsen and possibly got rid of one of our better midfielders in Aquilani, the f**king idiot.

And then that morning in January when the news started to break that he was gone and Kenny was coming back as caretaker manager.  The appointment of Steve Clarke.  The promise of a break in the stormy clouds at last.

The "is he coming/is he not coming" saga of Luis Suarez's transfer.  A few days before the transfer window closed feeling the sickening heartache of realising that our (then) idol Torres didn't want to be here and was off, then the amazing news that we'd landed Andy Carroll on deadline day.

We still had a few downs since then, but on the whole, the football we've been playing with our "rubbish" squad (according to the owl) has got us rubbing our hands in anticipation of next season.  Suarez has been a breath of fresh air, he's so dangerous, you never know what he's going to come up with.  We have youth coming through and doing really well, the Academy and Reserves came so close to winning their respective leagues.  There's a real team spirit at the club now and it's wonderful to see that.

I can't wait to see what we do in the summer transfer market, and I really can't wait for the start of the 2011/12 season, albeit our first without European football for a few years.  Bring it on!
      An excellent post mate,now is the proper time to air our views.I like most,await the new signings,but I fear that it may include some casualties,who have given good service.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Reply #8: May 23, 2011 12:52:52 am
      On the pitch, bar a couple of good months in the middle under Kenny, it was a nightmare from start to finish. Started under Roy and those horrific displays and ended with two flat, empty displays that ultimately resulted in no European football.

The spell Kenny had in between that though has given us something to look forward to. With injuries, new strikers settling in and youngsters coming through we were playing top four football which was great to see.

Off the pitch, Hicks and Gillett were sent packing which was the most significant move of the season by a long stretch. They seem to have been replaced by owners who know their thing although the huge test comes this summer with how we strengthen.

Overall, taking the whole 9 months of football into account, it was a shambles. But we have what we wanted at last and this season was the true definition of transformation.

We started with H & G, we finished with FSG.

We started with sulky Torres, and ended up with Suarez and Carroll.

We started with Roy, and ended up with the King.

We started with Mike Kelly and ended up with Steve Clarke.

We started with replacing Masch with Poulsen and now we end with constant talk of big funds for top players being available.

But above all, we started the season wounded. Hicks and Gillett were taking its toll on us and we lost Rafa. But next year, we will go in with proper optimism as Kenny and the boys walk on to the elusive number 19.

YNWA
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: May 23, 2011 12:58:43 am
      Reflecting on the season overall despite finishing 6th and missing out on European football still leaves me positive and content. The single biggest issue we had and overcame was the ownership of the two clowns. There were some really dark and gloomy clouds hovering over the club for a few years prior to the takeover.

We now have a manager who know's what he is doing and is a symbol of what the club stands for and represents, we have blooded some youth and given them a good taste of first team footy. We have players at the club who want to be here and are committed to the cause, and we can after a few years look forward to a decent summer window. Also the absence of European football will ensure we are fully concentrated domestically and will have a stronger chance of claiming silverware come the end of the season.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #10: May 23, 2011 01:00:14 am
      These four have all fu**ed off

And he's come back

I F***ing LOVE that last pic, especially the auld lads in the stand just behind ferguson, giggling at him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: May 23, 2011 01:16:26 am
      This rollercoaster left me feeling nauseous admittedly! The first half of the season was terrible. Absolutely terrible. I've never felt so low and so angry at the horrible wrongs that had to be put right. But then we got a break that day in October when Mr Henry and co came in and saved us potentially hours from financial humiliation, administration and a 9 point deduction. It didn't change the results on the pitch but that came only when the one and only King Kenny re ascended to his throne once more. And he changed almost everything. Two earth shattering signings immediately showed the raging fire of intent from both manager and the board. In came the results again. On went the smiles on the players faces. In came the kids. In came proper football transforming from the static and lumpy to the sublime and luxurious!  For sure there was still a handful of results like yesterdays that showed there is still a lot to put right but just look at how much has changed! With a few fantastic signings this summer and with a united front in the boardroom, on the field and in the stands the forecast's good. The forecast is Liverpool! This volcano is ready to erupt.

You'll Never Walk Alone!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #12: May 23, 2011 09:22:55 am
      Very sh*t/very good
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #13: May 23, 2011 09:28:14 am
      Not sure there is anything to say that has not been said.

We will start next year in an immeasurably better place than we started last year.

Onwards and upwards.

IKKWT YNWA COYR
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #14: May 23, 2011 09:29:28 am
      To sum it up, first half of the season was utter dross, the second half of it has us looking forward to next season something unbelievable!  ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: May 23, 2011 09:36:46 am

Special thanks to all LFC fans for their patience this year and their role in moving the club forward. Next year should be exciting. I believe we had the second best record for the second half of the year.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #16: May 23, 2011 09:37:42 am
      ^ the gulf in class there is as wide as the Grand Canyon.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #17: Jun 09, 2011 12:43:13 am
      Oh well, after looking through the forum the last couple of weeks i find it quite sad that the leading topics of discussion have become bickering sessions among some posters, not a lot to post about really in the off season. Would be nice if some posters could comment on our season gone by instead of scoring points off one another. I've been meaning to do my end of season report for a while now but it's been hard to find time with a new job and shift work, but here it goes. May i also add that it's quite sad that this topic was on page 3 of the Kop board, the obsession with Aquilani becoming a focal point, in all honesty i don't give a F**k. If Kenny wants to keep him then i'll be happy with whatever decision he makes.

What a season it has been and Brian 78 sums it up perfectly with his description of it being a tale of two halves. The first half of the season started badly, pre season saw the departure of Rafael Benitez to Inter Milan. While many fans were upset with his departure, myself included, it seemed the right time for him to go. He had drawn out of this squad all he could muster and it must be said that his Plan A was clearly not working anymore. It was also clear that some of the players had lost their belief in Rafa's philosophy. Combined with the massive debt that Hicks and Gillette had placed on our Club, things were not looking good. Had Rafa been backed with serious money then i believe he would have taken us to the Premier League summit but that was never going to happen. I think the break was needed.

We all waited with baited breath to see who would be the successor to the Anfield throne, the successor was most definitely not who we expected it to be. Step forward the LMA Manager of the Year, Mr. Roy Hodgson. The vast majority of fans were shocked, myself included, i tried to take the positives out of the situation. As a Liverpool fan that is what you do. Even though i felt robbed and dismayed at his appointment i still had to back him, that's what we do isn't it?. He said all the right things on his appointment, how he admired 'The Liverpool Way' and wished to return to the style that made us so famous and brought us so much silverware. These words were great to hear after watching such dire and unattractive football the season before. He was making all the right noises and if he'd just stuck to the simple way of playing football it could have been so different. How could he F**k this up?. he did it with consummate ease.

After the Europa qualifiers and the draw with Arsenal it looked to be a quite steady start for Hodgson, we weren't setting the world alight but we were getting somewhere after the departure of Rafa. Reports were that the players seemed more relaxed but the results and the football soon turned sour. The battering we took off Manchester City, the defeat at United, going out of the League Cup to Northampton Town, this was unacceptable. What really pissed me off and was probably the moment i turned against Hodgson was the defeat at Everton which he described as our best performance of the season, i was F***ing seething!. His constant 'bigging up' of the opposition was making me sick, all a part of his imaginary buffer zone should we lose. His constant 'belittling' of players, especially Johnson and Agger made me want to smash his F***ing face in!.

Queue October and what was to signal the end of Hodgson's brief reign, the removal of Hicks and Gillette. A massive black cloud had been removed, the feeling of relief was overwhelming, the feeling of elation was coupled with tears of emotion as their grip on the throat of our Liver Bird was finally removed. Time was running out for Hodgson, NESV were in town and he had nowhere to hide. Defeats to Blackburn, Stoke, Newcastle, Spurs and Wolves proved to be the death knell, 20 points from 25 games was relegation form and Hodgson knew his time was up. Considering he prides himself on dignity he didn't show much during his time here, he would blame anyone but himself, not befitting of any manager, let alone a Liverpool manager.

NESV drew a lot of criticism for their backing of Hodgson but they knew what they were doing. The fans at Anfield made their feelings clear on who deserved the job and on the 8th January that wish was granted. After growing tired of the poor results and terrible football we were playing Hodgson was sacked and The King returned to his rightful place at the helm of Liverpool Football Club. His first game in charge was against United in the FA Cup and it was a travesty of justice that saw us lose that game narrowly, a game we deserved to win. The presence of Dalglish was immense, the players responded immediately. We started to play with passion, the desire had been restored instantly, truly a mark of a man that commands the utmost respect.

We followed the United loss with a defeat at Blackpool and a draw with Everton. Then followed a win streak against Wolves, Fulham, Stoke and Chelsea. Pride was restored temporarily and the negative football we had played under both Rafa and Roy was gone. We were playing football 'The Liverpool Way', the same way that many media correspondents and forumites themselves said would be outdated and behind the times. I was loving watching this 'new Liverpool' play, which was so ironic because it was actually the 'old Liverpool' way of playing. The style of play that i was used to watching Liverpool play as a young boy growing up.

Dalglish along with Steve Clarke totally turned our goal difference around as we twatted United, Newcastle, Fulham, Birmingham and Manchester City in the run in. What i was seeing unfold before my eyes was like a dream come true. Who'd have thought that our season would end like this after all the suffering we had endured in the season prior and the beginning of this?.

Dalglish has handled himself impeccably since his return, every other fan of every Club is jealous of what we have here, there is no other character like Dalglish around. He has done it at every level, as a player and as a manager. His brain is razor sharp and he has wit to match. You can only love the man. The way he has handled Torres was awesome, we ended up with Suarez and Carroll and screwed Chelsea over. The way he has brought the youngsters through the ranks, promoting Flanagan, Kelly, Robinson and Shelvey to first team duty, something that neither Rafa or Roy had the belief to do. The way he transformed Dirk Kuyt and Maxi in January. The way he has nurtured Spearing and given him the opportunity to get a run of games in the side and a chance to prove himself. The feelgood factor he's brought back to the Club. The way he took us from relegation candidates to possible European qualification in the space of a few months.

Kenny has done what Rafa and Roy failed to do, he placed faith in the youngsters to go out and do a job, he has given the players confidence to express themselves. He has placed his trust in the players to know when to attack and when to defend, a licence to thrill so to speak, combined with a licence to chill.

I'm really looking forward to the Summer. We have the best manager in the League, we have owners who are willing to invest and back the manager. We have youngsters that have stepped up to the plate when called upon and we have players that have been revitalised under Kenny. The Club is buzzing, the fans are buzzing, the players are buzzing.

Thank you Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish, for saving our season. Nobody is bigger than Liverpool Football Club, as Torres and Mascherano found out to their detriment.

2012, number 19, all hail the King
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #18: Jun 11, 2011 11:36:05 am
      For me it was summed up by two games I attended last season.

Sunderland Home - 22nd Sept 2010

Me and my mate stayed behind to take part in the H&G protest. We all know the club was on its arse with owners who couldnt a toss about the club, the team or the fans and were only interested in bleeding the club dry of all its finances and at times its traditions and beliefs. I was never happy with Hodgson's appointment and thinking back it seemed all hope was lost, for a few dark months relegation and a black hole was a reality.

Man United Away 9th Jan 2011

Even though we had just lost to the scum, just remember feeling so happy and relieved that Kenny had returned and the club. We had new owners who seemed to have the right attitude and commitment to drag us out of the gutter. The impact from Kenny was immediate as the performace on the pitch at OT seemed to show more togetherness than had been shown in any of the games under Hodgson. Once again there was hope in our hearts.

The rest as they say...is history.

Bring on 2011/2012!!!!!

YNWA.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,996 posts | 5049 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Jun 11, 2011 11:51:17 am
      For me it was summed up by two games I attended last season.

Sunderland Home - 22nd Sept 2010

Me and my mate stayed behind to take part in the H&G protest. We all know the club was on its arse with owners who couldnt a toss about the club, the team or the fans and were only interested in bleeding the club dry of all its finances and at times its traditions and beliefs. I was never happy with Hodgson's appointment and thinking back it seemed all hope was lost, for a few dark months relegation and a black hole was a reality.

Man United Away 9th Jan 2011

Even though we had just lost to the scum, just remember feeling so happy and relieved that Kenny had returned and the club. We had new owners who seemed to have the right attitude and commitment to drag us out of the gutter. The impact from Kenny was immediate as the performace on the pitch at OT seemed to show more togetherness than had been shown in any of the games under Hodgson. Once again there was hope in our hearts.

The rest as they say...is history.

Bring on 2011/2012!!!!!

YNWA.
      Yes history indeed, and thats exactly where we should leave this past season, in the confines of history, defo one to forget and maybe even one day we could all afford to smile about it, I've supported Liverpool for over 30yrs and can never recall a season so disturbing as this, the contrasts in a matter of a week or two from Roys last outing to Kenny's first couple are totally amazing, as Kelvo points out, but I dont want to dwell on the past even tho its recent, I'm more interested in the future and especially pre-season and our new recruits, so sorry guys I just cant see the point in looking back, the 2010-2011 season has gone, and I'd rather forget it if you don't mind.  Well, all the bad parts anyway.

IKWT   YNWA

Quick Reply