Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Xabi Alonso: Why I left LFC

Read 13470 times
      RedLFCBlood
      May 25, 2011 09:20:31 am

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/xabi-alonso-why-i-left-lfc

654 days since his emotional leaving of Liverpool - and six years on from the glory of Istanbul, Xabi Alonso has a story to tell.

After arriving into a private room deep inside the impressive Real Madrid training complex at Valdebebas, Alonso answered the question of his own press officer when we were asked if 20 minutes would be long enough to conduct this interview.

"No, they can have as long as they need," said the Spaniard, before settling down to open his heart about the triumphs and the torment of his Anfield career in his most in-depth interview - soon to be screened in full on LFC TV - since swapping Merseyside for Madrid.

Alonso's Liverpool story is one of Champions League and FA Cup success, ridiculous long-range goals, defence splitting passes and general midfield mastery.

But the way it all came to an end left something of a bad taste in the mouth.

Fans all over the world were left devastated when the deal to take Alonso to Madrid - a deal which had been on the cards for 12 months after then manager Rafael Benitez confirmed his interest in pursuing the signing of Gareth Barry in the transfer market - finally went through in the summer of 2009.

Suddenly the club's midfield playmaker had gone; the man who made it all happen in the centre of the field and the man who had driven Liverpool to within touching distance of the league title with a record number of points.

Surely he would want to stay and help the Reds take that next, big, elusive step? We had gone so close - why did he have to end his Liverpool love affair now?

The truth can be found by rewinding 12 months when the manager dropped an end of season bombshell on his Spanish star.

"At the end of that season, speaking to Rafa, he told me the situation and that he wanted to sign other players and I could be one of the replacements," he explained. "If an offer would have come, probably I would have been sold. That's when I told myself that the situation had changed - from being a very important player to being one of those who can be sold to get funds to sign other players. I accepted it because I am a professional but you have to realise what your situation is. At the end nothing happened because there was no agreement and we started my last season in Liverpool, but knowing what had happened.

"I had to take it from their point of view. We knew what had happened and once we knew I was going to stay, if the manager was going to pick me then I was going to play as well as possible. There were no personal problems, it was a professional relationship.

"I didn't feel I had a point to prove. I knew what I was capable of giving to the team and what I had given for the four years - and then the last one. In the last one the team was really good, we were winning so many games, beating the top teams home and away and that made a big difference. Because of the silly draws we got at home at the beginning of the season, that's probably why we didn't win the Premier League. We felt we had a very good team, we were very competitive and it was a disappointment not to win the league.

"I didn't know what would happen but at the end of the season, knowing what had happened, I felt if another option was to come I needed to take another step in my career. It was very difficult to take that decision, but it was probably for the best for me because I was not comfortable with that situation and if I had stayed another season it would have been uncomfortable for me.

"I was really happy with the team and my teammates and felt that we could do great things. I was happy on that side but within a club you have to see the big picture and another season would have been too much for me.

"As soon as the season finished I talked to the manager. I knew that maybe Madrid were coming and I said if the terms were good then I wanted to leave."

Alonso may now wear the white of Real Madrid but throughout our chat it's clear the red of Liverpool still has an extra special place in his heart.

Before the camera started rolling on our interview, he was keen to hear about the latest news from Anfield and Melwood, about what the atmosphere is like at the training ground and about the general feeling around the club at the end of another season.

His last visit to Anfield was for a game in December during the closing weeks of Roy Hodgson's reign and he remarked of getting a strong sense that all was not well. He was clearly pleased when reassured the club today is vastly different to how it was just a few short months ago.

While talking through the ups and downs of his five years on Merseyside it's clear one date and one night in particular still brings out a bigger smile than any other.

May 25, 2005. Istanbul. The Champions League final. It may have been six years ago today but for Xabi, and most probably for everyone else glued to their TV sets or inside the Ataturk Stadium on that famous night, the memories come flooding back as though it all happened yesterday.

"To lift that trophy in the first season was a dream come true," he recalls. "We were lucky to live so many big nights on the way to Istanbul, like Olympiacos, Chelsea, Juventus - those were fantastic nights and it was the perfect start for many of us.

"It was a crazy night because we were so enthusiastic before the game but the first half was really tough and really difficult to take, but the team spirit was high and we kept believing, even when it was mission impossible. But we made it and in six minutes scored three goals against a top team like Milan with so much experience. It was a miracle. After scoring the third goal you had the feeling our name was written on the trophy.

"Look at the pictures and my face tells everything before taking that penalty. The responsibility, the tense look. It was more than nerves, it was about the responsibility. It was one of the biggest moments of my career. I missed it but got the reward and it was probably the quickest five metres I have ever run.

"It was unbelievable afterwards. After so many years, bringing Liverpool back to where they deserved to be - you could see the faces and the happiness of the people around Liverpool and wherever we went. Sharing those moments with them was fantastic and totally unforgettable.

"It is a final in the memory of all football supporters. They have it in their mind, it was the greatest comeback ever, so wherever I go they have that memory."

Stay tuned to Liverpoolfc.tv and LFC TV for much more from our chat with Xabi Alonso, including:

* How the fans made it difficult for him to leave

* Why he misses Stevie G and Carra

* His respect for 'King Kenny'

* Keeping in touch with fans on Twitter

* His new life in Madrid

* His love for Liverpool FC

* The future - and whether he may ever return

It's a world exclusive interview with one of our modern day greats - and it's coming soon to LFC TV.

Keep it clean and tidy lads.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Xabi Alonso: Why I left LFC
      Reply #1: May 25, 2011 09:28:00 am
      The biggy....
      * The future - and whether he may ever return

Nothing but respect for the man and totally understand why he felt the time was right to move. Rafa, for all his positives, dropped a clanger with Xabi.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #2: May 25, 2011 09:30:04 am
      Thanks for the link RedLFCBlood.

More to follow then...Alonso back one day? :P...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3: May 25, 2011 09:33:17 am
       I actually didn't blame the manager for wanting to move him on before his last season as his performance level had dropped off alarmingly. Hindsight being a wonderful thing of course, we now know that he produced his best season in a Liverpool shirt in his last one, and was a wonderful player who we have never replaced.

Even those who champion some of our current midfielders would surely accept that our player of the year this season is not in the same stratosphere as Alonso, and the folly of pursuing Gareth Barry and the way in which Alonso was alienated proved to be a cataclysmic error of judgement by the manager at the time.

Like I say, I would have been wrong too as I could totally see the sense in it back then, but on such decisions successful eras are either embarked upon or tossed away. 
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #4: May 25, 2011 09:37:49 am
      geat player and a great professional. rafa made a mistake, he probably knows it now, but we could do with xabi now :)
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #5: May 25, 2011 09:38:31 am
      Rafa had to wheel and deal in difficult circumstances thanks to the parasites running the club. I'm still gutted Xabi's gone.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #6: May 25, 2011 09:39:39 am
      Think Rafa made a boo-boo with this one,when u look at the two players now there is no comparision,Xabi is streets ahead of barry.
      Top lad and a great footballer,Pity we will never see him back here again.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #7: May 25, 2011 09:41:03 am
      To this day I still wonder what Rafa seen in Gareth Barry, we had one of the best midfielders in the world on our hands...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #8: May 25, 2011 09:44:03 am
      Think Rafa made a boo-boo with this one,when u look at the two players now there is no comparision,Xabi is streets ahead of barry.
      Top lad and a great footballer,Pity we will never see him back here again.

If you look at the timeline though, the first time we went in for Barry, we weren't looking to sell Alonso.  This just shows that Rafa was forced too rob Peter to pay Paul.  Alonso was an asset, who could be sold for a decent whack and use the funds to deepen the squad, whilst, hopefully, not hugely decreasing the starting XI's strength.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: May 25, 2011 09:44:44 am
      If I remember rightly it was Steven Gerrard that recommended Gareth Barry as a signing to Rafa, can remember reading about it at the time.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10: May 25, 2011 09:50:33 am
      If I remember rightly it was Steven Gerrard that recommended Gareth Barry as a signing to Rafa, can remember reading about it at the time.

If not Gerrard it'll have been Rick Parry I should think.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: May 25, 2011 09:51:00 am
      So... Big summer coming up...
      Alonso feeling nostalgic...

Yeah I wish.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #12: May 25, 2011 09:51:41 am
      He was our great general on the field, orchestrated many sublime moves and symphonized out midfield area very gracefully. He was the best ever midfielder in PL during his time at Anfield. His range of passes, his ability to change the tempo of the game and his solid approach in securing the central pitch were clearly missed by the fans. Anfield faithfuls knew that, but replacing one of the great minds of Anfield was a real headache.

His departure was greeted with agony and despair from fans across the world. Sadness and tears were the only words the fans knew. As he finally exited the door, he left a huge gap to be filled. It was not his fault, it was not Rafa's fault. Blame H&G!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: May 25, 2011 09:55:51 am

If not Gerrard it'll have been Rick Parry I should think.

It was definitely Gerrard was born from the midfield partnership they had for the national team.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: May 25, 2011 09:59:59 am
      Not sure we'll ever replace Xabi.
      Brought a class and calmness to our game that nobody else could.
      Even seemed to communicate with the refs in a way our other players couldn't.
      Extremely clever player whether it was seeing the pass before he received the ball or knowing to shield the ball when he would be closed down too quickly.
      Magic player, massive loss.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #15: May 25, 2011 10:06:04 am
      To this day I still wonder what Rafa seen in Gareth Barry, we had one of the best midfielders in the world on our hands...

This....!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: May 25, 2011 10:06:56 am
      I think that is exactly right,Stevie and Barry were mates and I think Stevie was instrumental in trying to get Barry to Anfield.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #17: May 25, 2011 10:09:22 am
       While Gerrard was trying to sign Barry and selling Alonso, Parry was scheming to bring in Robbie Keane behind Rafa's back as well. F***ing disgrace it is.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #18: May 25, 2011 10:11:40 am
      Oh Xabi,
      you came and you gave without taking,
      but he sent you away
      Oh Xabi.

Enough of that, Top Honourable Bloke.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #19: May 25, 2011 10:24:07 am
      It was definitely Gerrard was born from the midfield partnership they had for the national team.

They are good buddies I heard. Friendship started when they both were in the Euro 2000 squad for England and both of them were the only 20 year old there, I think.

Xabi Alonso still remains as one of my favourite midfield playmakers to this day. That touch, vision, spark of creativity, calm under pressure, long range shooting and passing makes him a rare footballing breed. You can't learn those but IMO, they come naturally.

I was devastated when we tried to sell him after the 2007/2008 season but even though he remained for the 2008/2009 season, his departure was imminent. I saw him in Singapore and some many of us kept singing his name for him to stay but he already made the decision to go.

I can understand why he left but can't understand what Gareth Barry has that he doesn't. Rafa probably realised the mistake and even tried to persuade Xabi to stay after that 2nd place finish.

Top, honourable man, Xabi is. Said nothing bad of the club after he left and still turns up for our matches. Have total respect for him and I don't think he's a player we will be able to replace right now.

A-L-O-N-S-O, It's Alonso,
      Xabi Xabi Alonso,

He came from Sociedad to play in our midfield,
      His passing and his shooting are sublime,
      If we had to choose between him and Fat Frank,
      We would always choose Xabi eveytime....

We played Luton Town in the FA Cup,
      Xabi and the keeper had a race,
      Xabi had a shot, from 70 yards,
      You should have seen the look on Gerrard's face.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #20: May 25, 2011 10:40:43 am
      Some players become Judas when they leave us. But not this one.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #21: May 25, 2011 11:26:41 am
      Would love Xabi to come back, what a player
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #22: May 25, 2011 11:30:12 am
      I'd give my right bollock to have him back.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #23: May 25, 2011 11:30:56 am

Hand it over young man I'll see what I can do. ;D
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #24: May 25, 2011 11:37:04 am
      Great lad, just great.
      This is just part of the interview, it says it'll be played soon on LFCTV, so anyone who gets a hold of any link or whatever pleaseeeee post in here, I am desperate to watch it.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #25: May 25, 2011 11:38:54 am

Hand it over young man I'll see what I can do. Grin

;D shall we leave you two to it?  ;D

Since we changed owners, more and more stuff are coming out, Xabi interview is the latest story.

Top player and top man, would have him back with open harms.

danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #26: May 25, 2011 11:43:40 am
      Gerrard wasn't trying to sign anyone, even if he did recommend/talk about a player he'd worked with to the manager; Rafa wasn't an idiot.

Gerrard would've been as disappointed as anyone when Xabi finally left, he says as much at least.

rocky299
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #27: May 25, 2011 11:47:01 am
      ye straight swap for poulsen
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #28: May 25, 2011 11:48:35 am
      So his parting was largely due to Rafa :( However, it is also partly due to our ownership situation at the time forcing us to sell to buy - plus Parry wasting money on Keane. A managerial mistake compounded by financial problems.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #29: May 25, 2011 11:57:52 am
      Hand it over young man I'll see what I can do. ;D

Sorry, bit brown and hairy but work us some magic.
      danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #30: May 25, 2011 12:23:15 pm
      Yeah the Barry deal fell through because Parry had wasted all the transfer money on Keane. Barry was the priority for Rafa, who told Parry he could get Keane once that was sorted. We may have had both Alonso and Barry for 08/09 if Rafa Benitez had his way.

Telling Alonso that he could possibly be sold on to raise funds for other signing wasn't a good idea.

Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #31: May 25, 2011 12:24:20 pm
      Agree with most others on this one. Rafa was a genius, top quality manager. But if he could turn back time he'd have made sure that Xabi stayed and forgot about replacements. Yeah, Xabi had not had the best of seasons when Rafa thought about looking for a replacement, but Rafa should have known that he was a quality player and it was just an off season.

Anyway, still have a lot of respect for Xabi, and I get a feeling that he may return one day. Real chop and change their manager quite a bit, and when they put some idiot in charge who doesn't want Xabi, he may want to leave. I'm pretty sure that if he left Madrid he'd come to us. The only question is if he will ever leave them. Time will tell
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #32: May 25, 2011 12:58:16 pm
      We're still in his heart. Great player, top lad. Would welcome him back with open arms. Best striker of a long ball we had in the past few years.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #33: May 25, 2011 12:59:11 pm
      In a perfect world, we would have had both Alonso and Barry in our team, but I still think Alonso is twice the player Barry is.

Well done Xabi  for not taking a swipe at Rafa, that shows his class.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #34: May 25, 2011 01:07:04 pm
      Yeah, Xabi had not had the best of seasons when Rafa thought about looking for a replacement, but Rafa should have known that he was a quality player and it was just an off season.
      This is key to those who criticise Rafa on this one. Xabi had underperformed for a whole season, not for a 10 game spell. Think of the message sent to all those who felt comfortable in the team under Rafa; no-one could rest on their laurels.

Rafa had a very tough call to make while being hampered by the parasites in charge. He called it right at the time. We don't know if Rafa's kick up the backside was the reason Xabi upped his game again for the following season. He may even have been playing for a move to a club like Real.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #35: May 25, 2011 01:10:49 pm
      Never has, and I personally don't think he can ever be replaced.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #36: May 25, 2011 02:18:13 pm
      Still love the man to bits!
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #37: May 25, 2011 02:49:45 pm
      Top pro Xabi is, wouldn't mind him coming back. I just hope Ronaldo and he or Maureen or he have a bust up forcing him to make his mind up to leave and then he chooses us again.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #38: May 25, 2011 02:55:55 pm
      Igot goose bumps reading his story brings back great memories ,top man he is ,if only he came back couldn"t see it happening though ah well. :(
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #39: May 25, 2011 03:14:59 pm
      I also think wanting to sell Alonso to bring Barry was a mistake, but memory can play a trick in this case; Alonso's last season for us was so incredibly good that people forget the 2 very mediocre seasons he had before this. Anyway, I remember that even taking that into consideration, I have never been in favor of getting rid of Alonso, he had so much talent his level of performance was to be expected to be raised in the future, and that's why I still see it as a mistake by Rafa.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #40: May 25, 2011 04:00:54 pm
      Remember when we were a 2 man team?

Well we were, until Rafa kicked him up the arse and he produced as he knew if he didn't he career was over. This is quality management, Bob Paisley to Ian Rush? start scoring son or its all over.

What is painful is that Gareth Barry was mentioned, who couldn't lase his boots. If we had beat stoke home/away in 2008/09 we would have won the league, Rafa would be Sir Rafa and we wouldn't be hearing all this sh*te about 19.

SO in my humble Rafa got the best out of a player, but maybe didn't work on it until it was too late to redeem the situation.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #41: May 25, 2011 04:07:16 pm
      Can't believe Rafa rated Barry over Alonso at any point to be honest. Xabi's class, and I'd take him back in an instant, nuff said.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #42: May 25, 2011 04:13:52 pm
      I think what people need to remember is that Xabi played much worse prior to 08/09 - that was a stellar year in comparison to most of his output before that. Rafa would tell you now that had Xabi been playing THAT well before then, selling him would never have been an issue raised.

Not saying Rafa is blameless, he was still better than Barry - but had Xabi shown it all prior to then, then it wouldn't have left any doubt.

Miss the man though, always liked him.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #43: May 25, 2011 04:16:11 pm
      I think most people felt he underperformed in the 2006/2007 and 2007/2008 season but bear in mind we still reached a Champions League final and went to the semi finals of the Champions League.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, though. In Barry's case, his class isn't near Xabi.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #44: May 25, 2011 04:36:41 pm
      I followR.madrid just to see him play
       I remember Alonso was one of the  VERY FIRST  who wished king kenny  good luck (on twitter), the same day kenny came in to replace roy
       Here it is i found it>>

XabiAlonso-Xabi Alonso

Good luck King Kenny!!

8 Jan Favorite Retweet Reply
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #45: May 25, 2011 04:39:54 pm
      What a great player, but I don't blame Rafa wanting to sell him and trying to sign Barry.

Xabi's performances that season were poor and Barry on the other hand had a great season. The move would've been right at the time.

Barry then couldn't build on his previous season's form at Citeh, and Xabi had his best season for us.

It was all too late then, cause Xabi knew that he was moving, if the right offer came in.

He's surely missed, though.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #46: May 25, 2011 06:31:15 pm
      I don't think Rafa saw his transfer as purely a swap for Barry. He expected a nice profit on the deal which he needed because the parasites weren't helping him out. Rafa didn't think Barry was better-he thought he was more versatile which is a plus when you are patching up a squad with little budget. He also possibly foresaw the emergence of Lucas.

Ideally Rafa would have kept Xabi, bought Barry and waited for Lucas to develop fully-reasonable ideals for building a title winning side. Unfortunately we had the owners from Hell.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #47: May 25, 2011 07:31:16 pm
      Just bloody buy him back
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #48: May 25, 2011 07:48:49 pm
      Would love to see him back -but I cant see NESV due to wages and age.

For me a 35 year old Xabi would be amazing, his range of passing and vision will make him world class into the latter end of his playing career, so I cant see why not. Normally O would never want to go back for a player, but in this case hell yeah!

Although it is clear he has fond memories, life in Madrid prolly isent that bad... I do like the cliff hanger LFC TV used - I would love to see him answer, but ever the professional it will be an open ended answer!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #49: May 25, 2011 07:54:15 pm
      I don't think Rafa saw his transfer as purely a swap for Barry. He expected a nice profit on the deal which he needed because the parasites weren't helping him out. Rafa didn't think Barry was better-he thought he was more versatile which is a plus when you are patching up a squad with little budget. He also possibly foresaw the emergence of Lucas.

There may be truth in that. I'm no Rafa basher, in fact I'm one of his biggest supporters, but I don't buy this other argument that Xabi wasn't clearly a world class player in his first two seasons and thats why Rafa went after Barry.. Even if his form dipped and consistency wasn't there, it was clear that he was a special player and as soon as he adapted to the Premiership we'd see that.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #50: May 25, 2011 08:02:02 pm
      Xabi in a Kenny team, let it come true.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #51: May 25, 2011 08:04:11 pm
      Top man Xabi ! always was and always will be ,i think Rafa will have been under enormous pressure from the cowboys but regardless of that ,what a tragic error !
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #52: May 25, 2011 08:14:33 pm
      Still have a soft spot for this fella.

I too would have him back in a heartbeat, though I don't think he will come back, I think he'll stay in Spain for the rest of his career. I suppose we can all dream.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #53: May 25, 2011 11:05:50 pm
      "At the end of that season, speaking to Rafa, he told me the situation and that he wanted to sign other players and I could be one of the replacements," he explained. "If an offer would have come, probably I would have been sold. That's when I told myself that the situation had changed - from being a very important player to being one of those who can be sold to get funds to sign other players. I accepted it because I am a professional but you have to realise what your situation is. At the end nothing happened because there was no agreement and we started my last season in Liverpool, but knowing what had happened.

You can slag me off as much as you like and the Rafa Mafia certainly have done but this is the very moment ....the pivotal moment .........when I called Rafa's transfer "policy" into question.

It was obvious what looking at another player would do for Xabi's confidence.
      A player of his quality being a make weight in a deal for a complete f..ing tosser like Barry.

Xabi.  A Hero Of Istanbul. A Red who wore his heart on his sleeve for the club.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for Xabi that he did act professionally and gave us arguably his best season as his last.

Love the guy.
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2011 01:08:37 pm by eurored »
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #54: May 25, 2011 11:14:09 pm
      I still have a huge amount of respect for Xabi. He was a quality player for us and I place a lot of blame of his exit, and some may not like me saying this, but on Rafa and his push for signing Barry. Still a huge regret of mine that he was sold.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #55: May 25, 2011 11:20:40 pm
      So he went from a playing with confidence underperforming to a player lacking confidence who had his finest ever season. That doesn't make sense.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #56: May 25, 2011 11:34:57 pm
      Pure ''Genius'' is 'Xabi. We should all miss him as a player & a person.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #57: May 26, 2011 12:51:28 am

You can slag me off as much as you like and the Rafa Mafia certainly have done but this is the very moment ....the pivotal moment .........when I called Rafa's transfer "policy" into question.

A player of his quality being a make weight in a deal for a complete f..ing tosser like Barry.
      A Hero Of Istanbul. A Red who wore his heart on his sleeve for the club.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for Xabi that he did act professionally and gave us arguably his best season as his last.

Love the guy.

With you all the way there Skip. Not a lot I could add to that. People will twist the words of Xabi to suit their agenda. Many blamed Rafa for the departure of Xabi but as you have said, the Rafa Mafia wouldn't have a bar of it. Well it's now been laid out in black and white. Fair play to Xabi for putting it across in a dignified manner, wouldn't expect any less from the man.

We lost one of the best central midfielders in the world in the pursuit of a midfielder that wasn't fit to lace his boots. A f**king disgrace given the love he still shows for us. Even if the plan was to replace him with Barry and Keane it was a stupid plan. Xabi has more skill in his little toe than the two of them combined.

And what's this again, Gerrard tried to engineer the move for Barry?, please, that is just ridiculous. Gerrard and Carra appointed Hodgson, Carra verbally intimidated Torres and scared him away from Liverpool, the conspiracy theories are getting pathetic. The excuses are wearing thin now. Rafa got shot of Alonso, this has come from Alonso himself so let us put this to bed.

And before we get the usual ' he was mediocre for 2 seasons' comments, it was plain to see from just watching the man that he had 'class' and 'authority'.

The single biggest reason the wheels fell off.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #58: May 26, 2011 01:07:12 am

And what's this again, Gerrard tried to engineer the move for Barry?

Not saying he tried to engineer it mate, just remember reading it at the time, that Barry was recommended by Gerrard, not putting any blame on Stevie's shoulders at all as I think we all know if Stevie had to choose between Barry and Alonso which way it would have turned out.

But its not unusual for managers to ask players to recommend players think Owen with Houllier he recommended both Heskey and Murphy.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #59: May 26, 2011 01:08:04 am
      So he went from a playing with confidence underperforming to a player lacking confidence who had his finest ever season. That doesn't make sense.

Don't pick out a sentence from a big post and try and twist it eh?. He was saying that Xabi's confidence took a knock when told by Rafa that he was surplus to requirements. He went from being a happy settled player to an unhappy unsettled player. Have you ever thought that the reason Xabi went on to have the season of his life was because he wanted to say a big, "F**k you, this is what you're going to miss" to Rafa?.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #60: May 26, 2011 01:14:28 am
      Not saying he tried to engineer it mate, just remember reading at the time, that Barry was recommended by Gerrard, not putting any blame on Stevie's shoulders at all as I think we all know if Stevie had to choose between Barry and Alonso which way it would have turned out.

But its not unusual for managers to ask players to recommend players think Owen with Houllier he recommended both Heskey and Murphy.

I know what you're saying Blood. The fact is this, Rafa was purely to blame for Xabi's departure. It's there in black and white. Yet we have posters that refuse to blame Rafa for it, trying to offload and share the blame with third parties. Why can't people accept that Rafa was fallible and not everything that went wrong was down to the lack of funds and owners?.

This was a massive mistake by Rafa, people need to accept it and stop living in this Rafa Wonderland. He was not flawless and this was no small mistake, look what happened after Xabi left. It's there for all who choose to see it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #61: May 26, 2011 01:16:16 am

Not to Houllier he didn't as it was Evans who bought Dan and the former Crewe man made his debut before Owen did. (Unless of course you're referring to a particular match)

As for Xabi, what's been has been. We can't change the past. We were heavily linked with Barry, rightly or wrongly and couldn't find anybody willing to pay the price we wanted for Xabi. Remember him being heavily linked with Juventus but wouldn't lash the money in - similar to what they're doing with Aquilani (Xabi's so called replacement).

So thanks for the memories Xabi. Some great performances in a Liverpool shirt. Most famous being the 4-1 demolition of United at Old Trafford I assume ;)

But we've both got to move on. You'll always be remembered and talked about fondly by Liverpool fans, and hopefully you'll do the same about us but this club has got to move forward and stop thinking what could of been.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #62: May 26, 2011 01:26:22 am
      Not to Houllier he didn't as it was Evans who bought Dan and the former Crewe man made his debut before Owen did.

Yeh you are right Billy was just recounting of my head, but think any one will remember Owen recommended Heskey as he contributed most assists to Owen in the u21 England team, was all over in the press before we signed him.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #63: May 26, 2011 01:28:37 am
      Those were some hard times under the Cowboys. We all remember how Portsmouth were offering more money to Peter Crouch. Seriously, club like Pompey offering more in salary than us. That was the magnitude of sh*t we were under.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #64: May 26, 2011 01:33:50 am
      I know what you're saying Blood. The fact is this, Rafa was purely to blame for Xabi's departure. It's there in black and white. Yet we have posters that refuse to blame Rafa for it, trying to offload and share the blame with third parties. Why can't people accept that Rafa was fallible and not everything that went wrong was down to the lack of funds and owners?.

This was a massive mistake by Rafa, people need to accept it and stop living in this Rafa Wonderland. He was not flawless and this was no small mistake, look what happened after Xabi left. It's there for all who choose to see it.

Off course Rafa had a part in Xabi leaving, but so does Xabi and a few others.  To say it's 100% Rafa is more than a little off the mark and more than a little naive.  It still annoys me that the Gareth Barry issue gets raised, especially considering when we first went him for him, it was as an addition to our midfield and not at the expense of any of our players.  I can also understand Rafa's logic, whilst not necessarily agreeing with it, saying he COULD (not would) sell Xabi to raise funds, his form had dropped but he was still a salable asset.  I still don't think we would have got more than another season out of Alonso though and think he would have ended up at Real come what may.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #65: May 26, 2011 01:37:26 am
      Not to Houllier he didn't as it was Evans who bought Dan and the former Crewe man made his debut before Owen did. (Unless of course you're referring to a particular match)

I knew I remembered reading something about it, must have been When Murphy was out on loan and he was recalled and Houllier tried to offload him

'Michael Owen always told me Danny was his main provider of chances for England Youth and I knew he had an eye for goals himself,' said Houllier.

'He has scored 30 times over the past three seasons and that is a great record from midfield. I am pleased with him but the danger is that you can ease off if you start thinking you have arrived.

'I don't want him slipping into the comfort zone.

'Now is the time for Danny to stretch himself. He has reached a phase where he has to push himself more. It can make all the difference between being a good player and world class.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-229639/Murphy-Liverpool-end-game.html#ixzz1NPkMlkR6
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #66: May 26, 2011 01:38:49 am
      Yeh you are right Billy was just recounting of my head, but think any one will remember Owen recommended Heskey as he contributed most assists to Owen in the u21 England team, was all over in the press before we signed him.

I had no problem with Owen recommending big Emile. He was a handful at Leicester and the perfect foil for Owen (and Fowler). Plus when Heskey first came to us, he was unstoppable. 22 goals in his first full season and a treble of medals. It was then Houllier started playing him on the left and right wing that fu**ed him up.

And if players are recommending others to the manager or recommending the club to other players, who turn out to be stars then we won't be complaining. For example if Maxi has put the word into Aguero's ear that Liverpool is on the rise and the Athletico Madrid man signs we won't be complaining. Or if, for example, when Sami Hyypia recommend Dalla Valle who was touted to be a F***ing star.

If a player is recommended by another player then it's only another option. The manager still has to want them and sign them. (Or at least that's how it should be though it doesn't work like that at all clubs - I think it does here) So Rafa obviously wanted Barry and wanted to sell Xabi on the back of two pretty poor, injury plagued, seasons. It didn't work out and it resulted in us losing Xabi and still not getting Barry. Football isn't an ideal world unfortunately.

Now it's up to the current players to prove Xabi made the wrong move by leaving.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #67: May 26, 2011 01:41:39 am
      I knew I remembered reading something about it, must have been When Murphy was out on loan and he was recalled and Houllier tried to offload him

'Michael Owen always told me Danny was his main provider of chances for England Youth and I knew he had an eye for goals himself,' said Houllier.

'He has scored 30 times over the past three seasons and that is a great record from midfield. I am pleased with him but the danger is that you can ease off if you start thinking you have arrived.

'I don't want him slipping into the comfort zone.

'Now is the time for Danny to stretch himself. He has reached a phase where he has to push himself more. It can make all the difference between being a good player and world class.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-229639/Murphy-Liverpool-end-game.html#ixzz1NPkMlkR6

:lmao:

Don't give up do you? ;)

Anyway, like I just said about Heskey, I'm glad Owen did recommend Super Dan as he was a boss little player for us during the treble winning year and the following year when we pushed Arsenal all the way for the title. Always liked him as a player as well. Very clever thinking.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #68: May 26, 2011 01:47:56 am
      :lmao:

Don't give up do you? ;)

Anyway, like I just said about Heskey, I'm glad Owen did recommend Super Dan as he was a boss little player for us during the treble winning year and the following year when we pushed Arsenal all the way for the title. Always liked him as a player as well. Very clever thinking.

I just remembered very vaguely reading about in the papers mate, I just wanted to find it so I knew I wasn't going daft. ;D

But like you say I'm happy enough players recommending other players sometimes it can be successful as it was with Heskey and Murphy for a time or sometimes it can be a disaster, but if it can help to get the best of a certain player and helps the team as a whole i'm all for it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #69: May 26, 2011 02:00:50 am
      I just remembered very vaguely reading about in the papers mate, I just wanted to find it so I knew I wasn't going daft. ;D

But like you say I'm happy enough players recommending other players sometimes it can be successful as it was with Heskey and Murphy for a time or sometimes it can be a disaster, but if it can help to get the best of a certain player and helps the team as a whole i'm all for it.

Lets just hope Mr Alonso doesn't recommend Reina, Gerrard, Agger or Kelly to Real Madrid. Recommend Ngog all he wants though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #70: May 26, 2011 02:42:38 am
      Why can't people accept that Rafa was fallible and not everything that went wrong was down to the lack of funds and owners?.

If Rafa had a 20, 30, 40 million pound transfer budget, do you think Alonso would of been sold to cover a transfer? I don't. That's just me though putting a few dots together. With no money and the need to improve a few areas with actual talent, i think it's a viable option to sell an asset worthy of making a good profit and developing a sum large enough to cover a few other positions.

Until his last season, i remember going in to his thread in the transfer board and people were not as affectionate towards Xabi until after his last season. Truth is he really stepped up when he was confronted on the issue that he could leave. I love the fella because in that season he was just beyond brilliant, but he did not play like that for 5 seasons. It was for just one, and it was his final season which leaves an imprint on people.

The point above is highlighted by the fact no one wanted to buy him for over 10m pounds/euros the season before he left. Juventus went with Christian Poulsen for 6 million instead of Xabi for 12 millions, stating Xabi was 'too slow' and the value in Poulsen's deal 'delights Juventus'. Christian Poulsen chosen instead of Xabi Alonso for speed, ability, and value. Doesn't that speak volumes?

I refuse to crucify a manager for trying to sell someone and bring someone else in under a restrained budget.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #71: May 26, 2011 03:46:11 am
      Xabi is probably the only player to be sold from this Club in the last few years, that I'd take back in a heart beat. Love the man, love his vision. Come back soon Xabi.
      moh21
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #72: May 26, 2011 09:39:22 am
      When we went after Barry he was probably in the form of his life for Villa, so understandable, but Alonso always was and always will be better. Special place in my Heart for Xabi. Much respect!!!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #73: May 26, 2011 05:37:27 pm
      The way I sees it, Xabi thrives on motivation and will work and perform very well with King Kenny. He's one fella that doesn't talk much but could be emotional in a silent way. What Rafa did has broken the camel's back. I believe he still loves the club very much, I wouldn't be surprise if we care to ask him to come back he may well agreed to do so. We can never tell. His interview could be a signal that says "come and get me".
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #74: May 26, 2011 08:41:43 pm
      I am gonna sound like a dick here BUT:

I have a friend who has known Benitez (due to workin on both his Caldy houses) since he came to the Wirral and gets taken to events by Rafa etc etc and he is quite adament that Rafa has told him that Xabi wanted a move to Arsenal in the Summer of the Barry saga so his hand was being forced.

All to be revealed in a Rafa book in the future apparantly.

One of them is a liar but I don't think my friend is.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #75: May 26, 2011 08:48:05 pm

I have a friend who has known Benitez (due to workin on both his Caldy houses) since he came to the Wirral and gets taken to events by Rafa etc etc and he is quite adament that Rafa has told him that Xabi wanted a move to Arsenal in the Summer of the Barry saga so his hand was being forced.

I've heard the same.

But I also like what Crouchy said. If you look at, if Xabi was being courted by arsenal at the time, he'd have been an idiot at the time to turn it down. The exact same goes for when real came sniffing.

Bigger pictue is that I don't blame either Rafa or Xabi, I blame the two fuckers in charge at the time for creating a situation were we had to sell to buy.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #76: May 26, 2011 08:56:45 pm
      Bigger pictue is that I don't blame either Rafa or Xabi, I blame the two fuckers in charge at the time for creating a situation were we had to sell to buy.

All day mate. This type of situation is happening all the time with most clubs. The difference is there are no fools in charge of the clubs making managers and players look like the dickheads.

Fortunately at LFC now, I think any situation of the same ilk will be kept behind closed doors with the new owners and KK running the show.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #77: May 26, 2011 11:38:38 pm
      Xabi Alonso celebrating in the commentators box

Look at him. All suited up. Barney Stinson style.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #78: May 26, 2011 11:52:18 pm
      Don't pick out a sentence from a big post and try and twist it eh?. He was saying that Xabi's confidence took a knock when told by Rafa that he was surplus to requirements. He went from being a happy settled player to an unhappy unsettled player. Have you ever thought that the reason Xabi went on to have the season of his life was because he wanted to say a big, "F**k you, this is what you're going to miss" to Rafa?.
      Thanks HardCore.
      Bang On.
      Thats exactly what I was saying.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #79: May 27, 2011 12:05:48 am
      If Rafa had a 20, 30, 40 million pound transfer budget, do you think Alonso would of been sold to cover a transfer? I don't. That's just me though putting a few dots together. With no money and the need to improve a few areas with actual talent, I think it's a viable option to sell an asset worthy of making a good profit and developing a sum large enough to cover a few other positions.

Until his last season, I remember going in to his thread in the transfer board and people were not as affectionate towards Xabi until after his last season. Truth is he really stepped up when he was confronted on the issue that he could leave. I love the fella because in that season he was just beyond brilliant, but he did not play like that for 5 seasons. It was for just one, and it was his final season which leaves an imprint on people.

The point above is highlighted by the fact no one wanted to buy him for over 10m pounds/euros the season before he left. Juventus went with Christian Poulsen for 6 million instead of Xabi for 12 millions, stating Xabi was 'too slow' and the value in Poulsen's deal 'delights Juventus'. Christian Poulsen chosen instead of Xabi Alonso for speed, ability, and value. Doesn't that speak volumes?

I refuse to crucify a manager for trying to sell someone and bring someone else in under a restrained budget.

Let's just leave this for now. I know how excited the majority of the forum get when Rafa is questioned. It's there in black and white. Accept it and move on. The truth of the matter is that the Rafa lovers will always believe Rafa and that is fair enough, i choose to believe Xabi. This comment on this forum makes me a Rafa hater by default, what if i'm not?. The whole dynamic is altered.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #80: May 27, 2011 12:14:31 am

Doesn't make you sound like a dick at all mate. In all honesty the relationship with Alonso took a dive when Xabi chose to be at the birth of his child. In my opinion it all started going wrong then, Rafa was renowned for distancing himself from players.

On the flip side, Alonso will release an autobiography one day too and he will put his side of the story over as well. One of the great mysteries surrounding our rapid decline towards the end of Rafa's tenure.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #81: May 27, 2011 12:17:44 am
      Doesn't make you sound like a dick at all mate. In all honesty the relationship with Alonso took a dive when Xabi chose to be at the birth of his child. In my opinion it all started going wrong then, Rafa was renowned for distancing himself from players.

On the flip side, Alonso will release an autobiography one day too and he will put his side of the story over as well. One of the great mysteries surrounding our rapid decline towards the end of Rafa's tenure.

F**k, man - you and your alonso man love ;D ;)

The truth, as ever. will be somewhere in between.

Having said that, I'd rather have Rafa than Alonso.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #82: May 27, 2011 12:49:40 am

Let's just leave this for now. I know how excited the majority of the forum get when Rafa is questioned. It's there in black and white. Accept it and move on. The truth of the matter is that the Rafa lovers will always believe Rafa and that is fair enough, I choose to believe Xabi. This comment on this forum makes me a Rafa hater by default, what if I'm not?. The whole dynamic is altered.

I love Rafa. Loved that man here but for some reason, I felt he could have handled the Xabi Alonso thing better.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #83: May 27, 2011 03:36:27 am
      I agree with Huyton that none of this would have happend if it wasnt for the two wankers in charge of the club. Rafa could have handled it better but Xabi was not playing well for two seasons. What was Rafa meant to do? ... for all we know, Xabi could have continued to play poorly and not have had the season that he had if Rafa never threatend to sign Barry.

For the record Xabi is one of my all time favourite Liverpool players and I was truely gutted when he left. More than when Owen, Torres or Mcmanaman done one.

I know this has been brought about because of the interview that Xabi has done but at the end of the day it's all If's and but's. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. He has gone and we have to move on.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #84: May 27, 2011 09:51:20 am
      Gareth Barry?

arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #85: May 27, 2011 11:16:24 am
      Yeah and all that because we wanted that tw*t Barry
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #86: Mar 04, 2014 05:14:22 pm
      Alonso: Time was right to leave Reds
      Xabi Alonso has said he was right to leave Liverpool when he did.

The Spain international, 32, completed a drawn-out transfer from Anfield to Real Madrid in 2009.

He was a huge favourite with Reds fans and has gone on to become a vital cog in Real’s midfield.

"In 2009, I think I made the right decision," Alonso told France Football magazine. “After five years at Liverpool, I needed a change.

"Can you expect anything better than Real Madrid, the greatest and most demanding club?

“It was the right moment to seize the opportunity.

"Everyday life in Madrid is tougher than in any other team. What the club demands is win, win and win again, and play well too.

"Liverpool have five European trophies, but it is not the same. There the daily life is more relaxed and not so heavy. At Real, pressure and demand are constant.

"But I wanted to see if I could match such a challenge."

Alonso recently signed a new contract with Madrid that will keep him at the Bernabeu until June 2016. He refused to rule out a move to the USA or his first club, Real Sociedad, in the future.

"Moving to the USA? I don't reject that in the future," said Alonso.

"We will see how I feel in two years' time. I don't discount anything - Europe, Real Sociedad or staying longer at Real Madrid if I notice that I still have the physical abilities."

Echo

Quick Reply