Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Jordan Henderson (Sunderland)

Read 71397 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4942 
      Re: Jordan Henderson (Sunderland)
      Reply #1012: Jun 09, 2011 12:39:56 am
      So if someone felt that we paid at least 5m too much, I understand why they voice that opinion.

With all due respect to anyone who posts on this forum but we are not the experts.

Kenny and Comolli are and as I've said before in this thread I'd much rather spend £5M to much as you put it and secure Kenny's targets than go £5M too low and miss the players like we used to do in the not so distant past.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #1013: Jun 09, 2011 12:48:20 am
      Unless I'm missing something then surely most fans would want the money they put into the club spent on players.

Of course, that was never a question. I just tried to point out that just because the owners are putting the money in the right department (transfer kitty) doesnt mean that the money is spent wisely. You contribute to the economy of your club through merchandise, match tickets, tv-subscription etc.. Just to use my unpopular example again - if you saw your club spend big on Voronin tomorrow you would be pissed off as well, cause in the end its your money thrown out of the window.

I also agree that we should rather pay 20m (if that is actually what we pay) and get him now, rather than pay 18m and get him on the last day of the transfer window after torturous negotiations all summer long. But we can still care about and discuss if players are really worth their price tags.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1014: Jun 09, 2011 12:53:10 am
      I think nowadays transfer fee's don't actually count for a whole lot. I mean like when was the last time a player was actually bought or sold for a fee that we all actually thought was just? These days, all transfers have added taxes put on like if he's English, if he has potential, marketability, the time of the transfer.

At the end of the day, we have bought a player in which Kenny thinks will have a great impact on our club and it's style of play, a player who could become pivotal for the club for the next 10 years. Does it really matter the price we paid as long as we got our man. Our rivals wanted him and we got him ahead of them.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4942 
      Reply #1015: Jun 09, 2011 12:56:38 am
      Just to use my unpopular example again - if you saw your club spend big on Voronin tomorrow you would be pissed off as well, cause in the end its your money thrown out of the window.

Your unpopular example as you put it mate is unpopular for a reason as it's ridiculous to use Voronin as an example.

But if you want to use him then my view is still the same in that if there is anyone I'd want to be spending our money on players then that man is Dalglish and I will trust his judgement on the quality of a player until I have watched him enough in our team to tell me otherwise.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #1016: Jun 09, 2011 12:56:45 am
      With all due respect to anyone who posts on this forum but we are not the experts.

Kenny and Comolli are and as I've said before in this thread I'd much rather spend £5M to much as you put it and secure Kenny's targets than go £5M too low and miss the players like we used to do in the not so distant past.

You are right, but we still discuss tactics of each game despite Kenny knowing infinitely much more about football tactics than we do. In a not so distant past we used a whole summer and more than 100 pages of forum-thread on discussing whether Gareth Barry was worth 18 million or not. Why didnt we just say Rafa knows what he is doing? We are fans and we have an opinion and although it may not be as well founded as the opinions of the manager we still voice our opinion.

But I agree with you that nobody wish themselves back to missing out on Dani Alves, David Silva etc. each summer. On the other hand Im pretty happy we didnt offer 20m for Barry back then.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4942 
      Reply #1017: Jun 09, 2011 01:01:44 am
      You are right, but we still discuss tactics of each game despite Kenny knowing infinitely much more about football tactics than we do. In a not so distant past we used a whole summer and more than 100 pages of forum-thread on discussing whether Gareth Barry was worth 18 million or not. Why didnt we just say Rafa knows what he is doing? We are fans and we have an opinion and although it may not be as well founded as the opinions of the manager we still voice our opinion.

This will be my last post on this as it's staying off topic too long.

I have no problem debating tactics, quality of players etc but this endless complaining about how much we are playing and how much players are worth is different in my opinion. Only FSG, Kenny and Comolli really know how much a player is worth to this club, if we can afford him and if they are willing to pay that fee.

RedsTillIDie
      • Banned

• 127 posts |
      • Open my veins I'm red to the core
      Reply #1018: Jun 09, 2011 01:05:29 am
      The bottom line is - Jordan Henderson was one of summer targets and we got him! End of as far as i'm concerned
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #1019: Jun 09, 2011 01:06:10 am
      Ffs still moaning about the price I see. Tbh I don't give two shits about the price. Lets talk about what he'll offer our team and what a key player he will be in the next few years.

Is transfer talk always this bad every summer? Every player we're after we talk more about the price then what the player can give us now and in a few years time.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #1020: Jun 09, 2011 01:08:21 am
      Your unpopular example as you put it mate is unpopular for a reason as it's ridiculous to use Voronin as an example.

But if you want to use him then my view is still the same in that if there is anyone I'd want to be spending our money on players then that man is Dalglish and I will trust his judgement on the quality of a player until I have watched him enough in our team to tell me otherwise.

The example was solely made to underline a point. The point that was being made was basically that price and player didnt matter, our behaviour in the transfer market did. I thought that was very black&white and the Voronin example fitted in well with that way of thinking.

I never said anything else that what you are saying regarding Kenny, Im more than comfortable with him spending "my" money in the transfer market. But people are in there good rights to disagree with some of his decisions if they feel like it.

This could turn into a long discussion about defining the worth of a player, negotiation tactics etc.. It wasnt my intention, I just thought that it still matters what we pay for a player cause even though we have transfer funds available now we dont have infinite funds. And as I said, if we could have gotten the same player for less, that money could have been used for other purposes.

Ffs still moaning about the price I see.
      Theres no moaning going on about the price. I suggest you read the discussion, it would do you good.

I have no problem debating tactics, quality of players etc but this endless complaining about how much we are playing and how much players are worth is different in my opinion. Only FSG, Kenny and Comolli really know how much a player is worth to this club, if we can afford him and if they are willing to pay that fee.
      I honestly dont see any difference, but lets agree to disagree, I think I got my opinion out there.

This will be my last post on this as it's staying off topic too long.

Agreed.
      « Last Edit: Jun 09, 2011 01:13:35 am by TotheMax »
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #1021: Jun 09, 2011 01:31:13 am
      Tbh my initial reaction to this was how much, not again. However, I have read through the topic and either the blind enthusiasm is contagious, or I was being a little too pessamistic.

I dont really buy into the 'whatever the price' philosohpy, but looking at the possible other targets I think I can see reasons to be optomistic.

With Gerrard, Meireles, Lucas, Spearing, Shelvey and now Henderson vying for CM spot, we have a good mix of youth and experience. [I still think Charlie Adams isnt anywhere near good enough].

I am even more hopeful of replacing N'gog with Connor Wickham, hopefully, joining Kuyt, Carroll and Suarez up front. Again a good mix.

If we can add a few wingers and get rid of the deadwood [we all know who they are] the wage bill should come down, it does make the buying price seem less of an issue. More importantly it should mean that we wont have to spend big after this transfer window.
      « Last Edit: Jun 09, 2011 02:06:45 am by staffletop »
      AW00D
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #1022: Jun 09, 2011 03:11:30 am
      welcome to liverpool! Since we are spending this much on a player for the future this is surely a sign that we have plenty of cash to still splash for improvements that will help this year. IKWT
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1023: Jun 09, 2011 03:46:59 am
      wow I think as a collective we as Liverpool supporters are so ridiculously paranoid it will take years to fix.

simply - IKWT

if he splashes 13 mil on a promising young versatile midfielder he is the King and let's get behind that hey? our owners aren't scum they took the Red Sox back to the top and you can see the desire they have to see us succeed.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #1024: Jun 09, 2011 07:09:05 am
      'Only Malouda and Kevin Davies created more scoring opportunities than Henderson (78) last season. Wilshere 57, Nasri 57, Cesc 61, Modric 64'

Paul Tomkin (One of the most level headed talking heads I know) posted this on his twitter page and this was it for me. The lad is 20 years old and plays on a team that played awfully the second half of the season and still was massive for his club. People are looking at this signing and going bonkers over his Central Midfield position, HOW CAN YOU COMPLAIN! Our depth over the last decade has been as deep as a puddle! If we have a young up and coming English talent riding the bench for the first 2 years, learning under Gerrrard and giving Gerrrard a rest when needed is that such a big deal? Also may I remind you, the transfer window opened less than a fortnight ago! We signed a QUALITY player! No one can make this negative  :lmao:

I swear some of you wouldn't be happy unless we made Real Madrid-esque Galácticos signings. I want a young exciting team that will grow with the club over the years and become Liverpool players, not be mercenaries for hire.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1025: Jun 09, 2011 07:27:40 am
      It is only the first week in from the transfer window, and we bought Jordan for 18-20M. That tells me that he was our primary target and not a back-up player because we did not sign another player before him.

Welcome to the club!!! ynwa
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #1026: Jun 09, 2011 07:30:32 am
      I swear some of you wouldn't be happy unless we made Real Madrid-esque Galácticos signings. I want a young exciting team that will grow with the club over the years and become Liverpool players, not be mercenaries for hire.
      But that mentallity gets you sacked on FIFA Career mode. :P  I'm really looking forward to the next two years and hoping that the development of the Young Guns really proves to be as promising as it looks like it can be.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #1027: Jun 09, 2011 08:06:17 am
      Apparently fee is only 16 mil, no N'Gog. Though they might still sign him.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1028: Jun 09, 2011 08:08:32 am
      'Only Malouda and Kevin Davies created more scoring opportunities than Henderson (78) last season. Wilshere 57, Nasri 57, Cesc 61, Modric 64'

Paul Tomkin (One of the most level headed talking heads I know) posted this on his twitter page and this was it for me. The lad is 20 years old and plays on a team that played awfully the second half of the season and still was massive for his club. People are looking at this signing and going bonkers over his Central Midfield position, HOW CAN YOU COMPLAIN! Our depth over the last decade has been as deep as a puddle! If we have a young up and coming English talent riding the bench for the first 2 years, learning under Gerrrard and giving Gerrrard a rest when needed is that such a big deal? Also may I remind you, the transfer window opened less than a fortnight ago! We signed a QUALITY player! No one can make this negative  :lmao:

Also we are spending money and people are complaining on how much......a lot better than the past few transfer windows don't you think?
      PaintingTheTownRed
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #1029: Jun 09, 2011 08:23:19 am
      http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/06/09/liverpool-fc-to-complete-16m-purchase-of-sunderland-s-jordan-henderson-as-david-ngog-stays-at-anfield-92534-28846944/

16M rather than the 20M being bandied about. In my opinion, for a lad who all being well has at least 10 years at the top in him, this is a bargain.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1030: Jun 09, 2011 08:28:38 am
      And if Sunderland are in for N'gog and it being a separate deal then that will just make the buy even better.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #1031: Jun 09, 2011 08:31:44 am
      Finding it hilarious that some people are still moaning about the price.

Here's something for you to moan about.  Our brilliant 'free transfer' - Joe Cole - 4 year contract - £5M signing on fee + 4 years of £5M per annum wages.

£25M.

Moan about that you bunch of misery arses.
      PaintingTheTownRed
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #1032: Jun 09, 2011 08:31:45 am
      For sure. 7M for Ngog is quality, I'd gladly carry him to wearside if they are willing to pay that! It's all coming together.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1033: Jun 09, 2011 08:38:11 am
      Finding it hilarious that some people are still moaning about the price.

Yup, especially since it is being reported now that the price is £16 million, with no Ngog included ... It is still a gamble, but a well justified one ...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1034: Jun 09, 2011 08:43:36 am

Jordan Henderson set to sign for Liverpool FC today

by Dave Prentice, Liverpool Echo
          June 9 2011

JORDAN HENDERSON will complete a £16m cash switch from Sunderland to Liverpool today.

But David Ngog will not be moving the other way as part of the deal.

Black Cats boss Steve Bruce wanted the French striker, rated by the Reds at £8m, to take the deal past his £20m valuation of the young midfielder.

But the deal will now be cash only, with Ngog staying at Anfield for the time being.

Henderson was at Melwood yesterday where he agreed personal terms and underwent a medical.

But paperwork at the FA and Premier League prevented the deal from being completed last night.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/06/09/jordan-henderson-set-to-sign-for-liverpool-fc-today-100252-28847564/

Quick Reply