Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Jordan Henderson (Sunderland)

Read 71996 times
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Re: Jordan Henderson (Sunderland)
      Reply #46: Jun 02, 2011 07:47:47 am
      Underwhelmed by this to be honest, only positive I can take from it is he's not Joey Barton.

Not sure if that's how I should feel about players potentially coming into the club.  :-\
      He's only 20 and has shown great promise in the last 2 seasons although he looked burntout towards the end of the season
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #47: Jun 02, 2011 08:14:07 am
      He's only 20 and has shown great promise in the last 2 seasons although he looked burntout towards the end of the season

Sunderland in the last two seasons have been a tale of two halves under Bruce, they start out the season strong then end it on a really bad note....though this season with all the injuries they had @ the end of the season its understandable.....I think Henderson was the only one who played in all league game this year for Sunderland
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #48: Jun 02, 2011 08:57:28 am
      Sunderland in the last two seasons have been a tale of two halves under Bruce, they start out the season strong then end it on a really bad note....though this season with all the injuries they had @ the end of the season its understandable.....I think Henderson was the only one who played in all league game this year for Sunderland
      Losing their main striker, Darren Bent in January wouldn't have helped.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #49: Jun 02, 2011 09:56:00 am
      Would not say no to signing him but the asking price is ,as always with English players, way over the top. The English transfer market needs to collapse and come back with a grip on itself
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: Jun 02, 2011 10:06:14 am
      Sunderland in the last two seasons have been a tale of two halves under Bruce, they start out the season strong then end it on a really bad note....though this season with all the injuries they had @ the end of the season its understandable....I think Henderson was the only one who played in all league game this year for Sunderland

That's what happens though when there is no depth in the quality of your team, when there are injuries there should be players willing to rip somebodies arm off to play and succeed in that shirt whoever the club may be and i think thats what Sunderland missed in part of the season. I'm not so sure Henderson even played all league games this season mate, Skrtel and a city player were the only ones to do so i think.

I honestly would not know what to make of this signing, all i have heard is that he is a good player and that he has loads of potential to be a top quality player in the near future, that would have to be next season though if he was to sign for us. I don't often watch Sunderland as they bore me to f*ck so i don't really have that much of an opinion on him.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #51: Jun 02, 2011 10:11:07 am
      Skysports.com can confirm that Sunderland have rebuffed an approach from Liverpool for midfielder Jordan Henderson.

Manchester United and Manchester City had both been keeping close tabs on the England international.

But Liverpool have suddenly made a surprise move for the talented young midfielder, who can play out wide or in the middle.

Kenny Dalglish is clearly looking to invest heavily this summer and Henderson has emerged as one of his top targets.

It is understood the Anfield outfit's initial interest would have seen them willing to pay £13million, but Sunderland have rebuffed their advances.

The Wearside outfit, though, may be willing to do business at a much bigger price - £20milllion plus - as they have their own midfield targets.

Skysports.com understands one of those is Manchester United's Darron Gibson, and Steve Bruce is ready to approach his former boss Sir Alex Ferguson over his availability and also that of defender Wes Brown.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #52: Jun 02, 2011 10:16:42 am
       He's a decent player is this lad, and looks like a good pro too. He's only a baby as of yet, but might just develop into a really top performer. In time as he grows up, he'll score a few goals from midfield by arriving in the box, as well as being able to pick a pass and hit it from range as well. He gets through a good shift and looks like he's got a good head on him.

Price wise players like this are very difficult to put a sensible valuation on. He's currently no better than decent and in all likelyhood wouldn't get into our best team, but then again he could develop and be worth an absolute fortune. You're kind of taking a punt and hoping that he'll end up being more Gareth Bale than Jermaine Jenas, but all things considered I would have thought 10-13 mill is somewhere near. He's Sunderlands best player by a country mile as well so you have to take that into consideration.

All that said, my best guess is that we are going to have to to as high as 15-18 mill in order to get him, and for some that may well be a stretch too far. It probably would for me as well to be honest (obviously depending on what the budget is), but it'll be interesting to see what Kenny and Comolli do.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #53: Jun 02, 2011 10:17:18 am
      He needs £20m+ to try and buy Gibson? If their other targets are anything like him then they are not going to need £20m for signings.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #54: Jun 02, 2011 10:19:12 am
       EDIT :  I was typing mine while the fella above was posting his. In view of that one, it looks like 15-18 mill might even get knocked back. That being the case, it'd be too expensive for me. I'd want someone who is definately going to walk into the first team from day one for that kind of money.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #55: Jun 02, 2011 10:20:38 am
      I stand corrected on the city player appearance thing it was actually Leighton Baines but they are the two players who have played every minute of last season so i was going on about slightly the wrong thing.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #56: Jun 02, 2011 10:27:42 am

I know all about him mate and that's why I'm underwhelmed, in my opinion we need players that will walk straight in to the starting XI and I don't believe Henderson has the quality to do that, to be honest he's probably about at the same level as Shelvey who in my opinion is not even ready to start every premier league game in a team with top 4 aspirations.
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #57: Jun 02, 2011 10:45:22 am
      He's not my cup of tea. Decent young player but i can't see how he will improve our first 11. Paying 15-20m on a player who will sit on the bench for the majority of the season is a bit of a joke, the money could be used far better.

Aqua, Lucas, Gerrard and meireles are all better players than young Henderson and i can't really imagine henderson keeping any of those four players out of the side.

Id even prefer either adam or parker...even if parker is getting on a little bit.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,684 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #58: Jun 02, 2011 10:55:58 am
      Think he would do a good job for us on the right of a midfield three.
      Baffles me as to where that would leave Shelvey and Spearing though.
      Good player, but we would have to look at loaning out Shelvey and/or Spearing.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Jun 02, 2011 10:59:54 am
      I like the idea of loaning Shelvey out, maybe to somebody like Swansea who are a decent attacking team and will also be playing in the Premier League next season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #60: Jun 02, 2011 11:09:35 am
      SUNDERLAND DISMISS HENDERSON TALK

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/250360/Sunderland-dismiss-Henderson-talk/

Thursday June 2,2011

Sunderland have no intention of selling England midfielder Jordan Henderson to Liverpool or anyone else this summer.

The 20-year-old has found himself at the centre of speculation that the Merseyside club are ready to launch a big-money bid to lure him away from his home-town club.

However, while the Black Cats know every player has his price, they are certainly not looking to cash in on their highest-profile Academy graduate and sources on Wearside have indicated that Henderson is simply not for sale, and certainly not at the £13million fee quoted in some reports.

Nevertheless, that is unlikely to quell the rumours surrounding a player who has previously been linked with both Manchester clubs.

Henderson has enjoyed a meteoric rise since emerging as a genuine first-team prospect under Steve Bruce following a successful loan spell at Coventry before the manager's arrival at the Stadium of Light in the summer of 2009.

The Sunderland-born player made an instant impact as a teenager last season and was handed a first senior England cap against France in November last year after a good start to the last campaign.

However, a dip in form in the immediate aftermath of that landmark coincided with a difficult spell for his injury-hit club, and his stock fell slightly as a result.

But Bruce was quick to defend the youngster and is confident he has a player of enormous potential on his hands.

He said at the time: "It's been a big learning curve for Jordan, this season. After getting the euphoria of the England call-up and then what has happened to him since, it just shows you what football is.

"It's a sharp learning curve for him, but the kid wants to learn and wants to play and I still believe he has got a huge, huge future in the game."

Liverpool linked to Sunderland’s Henderson

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/chris-young-column/liverpool_linked_to_sunderland_s_henderson_1_3438525

By Chris Young
      Published on Thursday 2 June 2011 11:00

LIVERPOOL are the latest club to be linked with Jordan Henderson, although their interest will not alter Sunderland’s stance over the midfielder.

Reports today suggested Reds boss Kenny Dalglish is preparing a £13million move for the 20-year-old, who will line up for England in the U21 European Championships, in Denmark, later this month.

But Sunderland have not received a bid for Henderson and have no interest in selling a player who started all but one of the club’s Premier League games this season.

The Black Cats will not be surprised to learn of Liverpool’s interest, with Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea all keeping tabs on Henderson.

But Sunderland are determined to keep hold of one of their prize assets and, in any case, would not contemplate selling the midfielder for £13m.

Boss Steve Bruce has stated publicly that it would take a bid in excess of £20m to even consider letting Henderson leave the Stadium of Light.

Sunderland have shown they can play hardball in the transfer market after recouping £24m from the sale of Darren Bent and they know Liverpool will pay over-the-odds for players after Dalglish splashed out £35m to land Andy Carroll from Newcastle.

Henderson himself is not looking to leave Sunderland either and remains happy to be playing regular first-team football for his hometown club.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #61: Jun 02, 2011 11:11:02 am
      £20m ? - What exactly did Mascherano go for ?

I rest my case.

Move on to the next one.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #62: Jun 02, 2011 11:19:33 am
      Would rather James McCarthy!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,684 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #63: Jun 02, 2011 11:32:38 am

Would rather McCarthy myself, but it's good to see us sounding out other players.
      McCarthy could be gradually brought in to the Gerrard role, whereas Henderson is more suited to the RM on a 433.
      We might just be making it know we are willing to look at other players if our first choice's club starts dicking us around on price. I'm glad to see us checking our options early as opposed to the buying clubs having the upper hand, as was the case in January when we didn't have time to play the game and needed to get the deals done.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #64: Jun 02, 2011 12:02:44 pm
      I guarentee this story has only made the press because it was huge over Twitter yesterday.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #65: Jun 02, 2011 03:00:44 pm
      Said in the Mail today the deal was almost done and dusted.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #66: Jun 02, 2011 03:02:10 pm
      Sunderland fans do not really rate him from what I can gather. Would much rather McCarthy.
      « Last Edit: Jun 02, 2011 03:04:55 pm by Reslivo, Reason: Use capitals where necessary, and punctuation. »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #67: Jun 02, 2011 03:06:26 pm
      Sunderland have shown they can play hardball in the transfer market after recouping £24m from the sale of Darren Bent and they know Liverpool will pay over-the-odds for players after Dalglish splashed out £35m to land Andy Carroll from Newcastle.

Another reason why we shouldn't have rushed this signing... oh well... I prefer McCarthy as well, but to be very honest I've not paid enough attention on Henderson. I might be wrong.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #68: Jun 02, 2011 03:12:35 pm

I agree, I think Henderson is a decent player who can become a very good english league performer. However, James McCarthy has the potential to become a world class player.

Quick Reply