Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Next Gen Series (No it's not Star Trek)

Read 72984 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Next Gen Series (No it's not Star Trek)
      Reply #46: Aug 10, 2011 02:48:23 pm
       'It'll prepare us for Europe'

'It'll prepare us for Europe'
      10th Aug 2011 - Latest News

Rodolfo Borrell believes Manchester City will provide the perfect opposition for Liverpool Reserves ahead of next week's eagerly-anticipated NextGen Series opener against Sporting Lisbon.

The second-string's head coach has identified several similarities between the two sides and hopes to use the final encounter of pre-season to fine tune his preparations for the big kick off.

Speaking prior to this afternoon's clash at Hyde United, Borrell told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I'm looking to play against a very good squad and the initial idea was to use this game as a rehearsal for the Sporting Lisbon game.

"Sporting are a fantastic side that have very quick and technically-gifted players. These are the types of players Manchester City are looking to use at U18, U19 and reserve team level.

"With this in mind I felt they were the obvious choice. The stronger the team they play, the better for us. Like I say, they have some characteristics, especially in midfield and up front, that are similar to the Portuguese team and that can help us."

The reserves have suffered mixed fortunes in pre-season, notching up one win and two draws from five outings.

Borrell is unfazed by the results of their warm-up games and remains confident his players will benefit from coming up against teams with a strong physical approach.

He said: "At the moment I am quite happy. It has been a tough pre-season. We've got a lot of young players coming into the reserve team and I think that is the right way for a club like Liverpool to move forward.

"We look at the reserves as one step forward from the U18s and no longer just use players in the squad who are 22, 23, and 24 years old.

"The result of this is that the squad is very young. We know that we might have some problems at the beginning of the season in terms of results because we are going to perform against reserve team squads with players that are much older and have developed more physically.

"I know that we need to be able to handle this and that the lads must face this as a reality as soon as possible. That is why I picked out some very tough games for our pre-season.

"It has been difficult but I think we have adopted the correct approach in our preparations for the new campaign."

Take Degen, ElZhar, Eccleston and Amoo out of the team that lost to City. All too old.
      Add Suso and Sterling and hopefully we get some better results.
      Bier
      Reply #47: Aug 10, 2011 06:43:11 pm
      This competition won't say alot about the youth at clubs for smaller teams like Ajax's. Good youth players at Ajax are promoted much faster than they are at the bigger clubs. Players like Eriksen, Ebecilio, Mats Rits, Lukoki and Boilesen are all extremely talented and still eligible for their under 19 team, yet are already an important part of their 1st team. But it might be interesting to see Viktor Fischer play for them, he's supposed to be a bigger Danish talent than Eriksen.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #48: Aug 11, 2011 01:16:51 am
      Do you know, I'm still disappointed it's not Star Trek.  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #49: Aug 11, 2011 02:44:05 pm
      I knew you'd like that heading. Didn't want to get your hopes up :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #50: Aug 11, 2011 10:05:02 pm
      Did I catch that right, that we got beat 1-0 by City?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #51: Aug 11, 2011 10:08:26 pm
      Did I catch that right, that we got beat 1-0 by City?
      No, that was our ressies.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #52: Aug 11, 2011 10:16:34 pm

I just caught a quick glimpse on lfc tv...just checked and we dont play our first game till 17th Aug.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #53: Aug 12, 2011 05:09:34 pm
      Only a few day to go now.

Looking forward to it.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #54: Aug 12, 2011 06:01:15 pm
      I just caught a quick glimpse on lfc tv...just checked and we dont play our first game till 17th Aug.

Against Sporting Lisbon at Anfield. Good chance for the U18s to get another run out at Anfield. Hope theres a few there for them.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,547 posts | 3474 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #55: Aug 15, 2011 11:01:11 am
      Kick Off is at 7.00 on Wednesday night and the game is live on LFCTV, if you're not going to the match please tune in as this should be really good.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #56: Aug 15, 2011 11:05:40 am
      NextGen founder chats to .tv

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/nextgen-founder-chats-to-tv

15th Aug 2011 - Latest News

Founder of the NextGen series Mark Warburton chats to Liverpoolfc.tv about how the U19 Champions League-style tournament came to be...

Hello, Mark. How pleased are you that this idea to pit top English youngsters against the continent's finest has finally come to fruition?

It is very exciting indeed. We have all worked so hard to make this happen, and we're proud to say that here we are - just days away from what we hope will be a groundbreaking tournament in football. We have 16 of Europe's elite academies, 48 games, and some fantastic talent on show - so there should be a great few months of football ahead of us.

We spoke to our Academy director Frank McParland who told us the idea was something you were thinking of over four years ago - just tell us in your own words how it all came to be?

A number of trips were made to European academies, four or five years ago now, where we had a consistent message coming to us: that there was a void between youth team football and the first team. We wanted to find something that would fill this gap and provide these players with regular competition at a very high standard. The real work started around two years ago when we visited clubs to discuss our ideas. They were all hugely receptive to the initiative and have helped us enormously with making this all happen.

There are some massive names in there and most will be playing their home games in the stadiums made famous by their first team - how crucial is this to what you are trying to achieve as a competition?

I think it is very important to find the right balance between playing in major stadiums and playing in front of smaller but more populated arenas. So, for example, the experience of playing at Anfield will be fantastic for the boys, whilst playing at a smaller 5,000 seater area that is packed and under flood lights will be equally as beneficial. As always it is about offering every boy a variety of experiences and challenges.

What kind of attendance are you expecting at these games?

We are hoping that fans are excited and will want to support the youngsters. The matches in Molde, for example, have already sold out so things are looking very promising indeed. The reality is that the public are going to have the chance to watch high-level football at affordable prices in some of the world's more famous stadiums. I hope this proves a big pull. However, as stated above, it is about the players being offered challenges which they would not normally face. Therefore, it may be 20,000 at Celtic Park or it may be a very small crowd at a training ground venue. But either way the quality of opposition will provide the real test.

Wednesday's game is live on LFC TV and LFC TV Online. Click here for details>>

What is the overall aim of this tournament?

Players will learn about travelling abroad. They will be out of their comfort zone, playing in front of big crowds against some of the best young players other teams have to offer - but aside from this there are other benefits NextGen brings to all aspects of the game. We have adopted an holistic approach, which is not just about contact time on the pitch, but a cognitive learning process for the whole club. In other words, it's a chance for the coaches of opposing teams to meet with each other and to discuss the different methods they use to train and develop their players. It's a great opportunity for young referees to manage high-profile games and learn how to deal with some of the very best youngsters the world has to offer. From the boot boys to the 'gaffer', the whole club will get a taste of the standards demanded to compete at the European level. However, if we have to put down one sentence it would be 'The education and development of Europe's elite youth players through the offering of a consistent, high quality challenge.'

There are 16 clubs involved - do you hope to extend that next year?

We want to make this year run as smoothly and effectively as we can and only then will we be looking at extending the number of teams involved. As you can imagine it is important to show everyone concerned that such an event can be executed successfully. Undoubtedly mistakes will be made and from these mistakes we will learn and keep moving forward.

Will the likes of Real Madrid, Manchester United and Bayern Munich be involved at all?

A number of such sized clubs had conversations with us and indeed Bayern Munich played in one of our initial pilot games. If the first year is successful we would like to think that many such teams would like to be involved in year two.

What is the cut-off point in terms of age for players to be eligible?

Each squad will consist of a maximum of 18 players. All players must be born on or after January 1, 1993 although three players are allowed who are born on or after January 1, 1992. The inclusion of the three older players is an 'option' for each participating club and not a stipulation. The squad for each game can vary and the 18 names for the first game do not have to be named for every ensuing fixture.

Will there be a foreigner rule?

No. It is up to the clubs who they play in the tournament as long as all players have the required international clearances and are registered with the respective club.

Is it true that the top two from each group will go through to the finals tournament in Abu Dhabi in January?

We are in discussions at the moment with a range of hosts for the finals which will be announced in due course.

How do you think the tournament will impact upon reserve team football?

It is essential that the NextGen Series complements not complicates the domestic calendar. The tournament must sit alongside reserve team football and be flexible to enable players to get the maximum benefits from both their European and domestic fixtures.

Is there a particular message you would like to convey to supporters thinking of attending these matches?

I would encourage all Liverpool fans to come down to Anfield on Wednesday to support their youngsters and catch a glimpse at the incredible talent that will be on offer. Sporting Lisbon are renowned for the young talent that they produce and we are sure the encounter will be a thrilling fixture.

And just finally, any special mention for your old colleague Frank McParland!?

Of course! Frank has been heavily involved in the creation of the tournament as has Kenny Dalglish from his time as Liverpool's Academy Ambassador. They have been very supportive of the initiative and have been driving forces for NextGen. Liverpool supporters must be enthused by the home-grown talent that has come through the academy over recent years and I'm sure we'll see more in the first team very soon.

For more information on the tournament, visit the official website of the NextGen Series by clicking here

You can find out all the latest news about the NextGen Series on Twitter by following @NextGenSeries

'They've nurtured some greats'

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/they-ve-nurtured-some-greats

15th Aug 2011 - Latest News

In our latest column from Kirkby, reserve team head coach Rodolfo Borrell looks ahead to a European encounter against a side he regards as one of the finest in world football...

We kick off our first ever match in the NextGen Series against Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday night and I have to admit I can't wait for the new campaign to get underway.

We've had a long and tough pre-season but hopefully the physical demands we have placed upon our players will reap the results over the coming months.

Wednesday's game is live on LFC TV and LFC TV Online. Click here for details>>

This season the reserves set-up will be a little bit different. We will not only be looking to make an impact domestically but on the European scene too.

We are all very excited about the U19 Champions League-style tournament we have entered.

I think it is a positive step and a very good idea. I always promote our involvement in tournaments around the world as much as possible as it pits us against teams with other philosophies and styles of play. I think this is important for the improvement and development of the players.

The NextGen Series offers us this opportunity, playing home and away against some very big sides around Europe.

Click on the play button to watch our chat with Rodolfo

We will get to play at Anfield again as well as the main stadia of the other sides. You cannot overestimate how big it is for these youngsters to touch the 'This is Anfield' sign and run out in front of the Kop.

It is one of the most famous grounds in the world with a huge history. Then you have the support of our unique fans. It all helps these lads to understand more about the reality of playing for this club at the highest level.

Sporting Lisbon will be massive opponents. When I say they are a dangerous team it is not just because they are our next opponents and I am being respectful. These are not hollow words.

I remember when I had just arrived at Liverpool. There was real interest in some of the players we will face on Wednesday from my old club, Barcelona.

They were at U17 level at the time and I know for a fact that Barca were hoping to sign no fewer than three of their players. I then spoke to the people here and told them to have a look at the aforementioned players and to take note of how impressive Sporting's youth system is.

I know a lot of supporters and observers in England will be unaware of just how good the set-up is there. In Spain it is quite rightly regarded as one of the best in the world. They have very good squads running right through the age groups.

They have very quick, technically gifted players and they are really well organised too.

You only have to look at players that have come through their ranks in the past to see their pedigree. Luis Figo, Nani, Cristiano Ronaldo - all players of fantastic technical ability who have consistently produced at the highest level.

We know it will be tough but we feel we can beat them on our home turf. It will be a hugely beneficial experience for our youngsters and at the end of it all, that is what matters most.

Of course we do not know the exact personnel we will have for the match. Jon Flanagan and Jack Robinson are eligible to play but they are with the first team, so it is up to the boss.

If he decides it is good for them to play these games with us then they will be welcome. If not, then it is no problem because the club knows what is best for these lads.

Some supporters may look at our group and expect us to progress comfortably but I am certain that will not be the case.

Wolfsburg were fantastic at U18 level in Germany last season. They won everything they were involved in so we know they will pose a threat.

As for Molde, I am expecting them to be a strong, physical side - a typical Scandinavian outfit.

I have always taken things one game at a time and it has served me well in my career as a coach. I see no reason to change that now. Our only aim is to beat Sporting Lisbon.

It promises to be a good game. Hopefully we will have a big crowd at Anfield to roar us on and give us the type of support that has won so many European encounters for the first-team over the years.

Rodolfo was speaking to Paul Hassall
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #57: Aug 16, 2011 10:24:13 pm
      LFCtv is showing this live tomorrow night. First game against Sporting will be a tough test
      MsGerrard
      Reply #58: Aug 17, 2011 12:43:04 am
      LFCtv is showing this live tomorrow night. First game against Sporting will be a tough test

Will be watching this tomorrow night, looking forward to it, and yes Racer, Sporting will be a stern but good test for our lads.

Kick Off 8pm Racer?
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #59: Aug 17, 2011 01:05:35 am
      Looking forward to this.  Will be interesting to see how we do against european academies.  Should be a step up from the English youth leagues.  In pre-season, the ressies have played the likes of Degen and El Zhar recently, and the U18's are using the younger players from last season's squad plus last years U16's.  Will be interesting to see how we line up, thankfully Degen and El Zhar are too old!  I wonder if Flanno and Robbo will be involved?

From the twitter accounts I follow, Raheem is excited and young Ryan McLaughlin is in the squad.  Barring injuries, I'd expect to see Suso, Adjoran, Coady, Sterling, Morgan, Silva and Wisdom feature.

Hope there's a good turnout for them at Anfield, sure there will be.  The tickets seemed a good price at a fiver in.

COME ON YOU REDS!   :kop5cf8koxp6:

Good luck lads!

Will be watching this tomorrow night, looking forward to it, and yes Racer, Sporting will be a stern but good test for our lads.

Kick Off 8pm Racer?

MsG, apparently not, don't be late and miss it!

Kick Off is at 7.00 on Wednesday night and the game is live on LFCTV, if you're not going to the match please tune in as this should be really good.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #60: Aug 17, 2011 01:13:13 am
      Thanks Whyohwhy....I thought 8 seemed a bit late  :roll:

Liverpool's youngsters host Sporting Lisbon in the first game of the NextGen Series at Anfield on Wednesday night and supporters should note the following ticket information.

The Kop grandstand will only be open and tickets are £5 for adults and £2 for children.

The match kicks-off at 7pm and the turnstiles will be open from 6pm.

Tickets are available from the ticket office but no pre-booking is required and you can pay at the turnstiles on the night.

Supporters should also note the ticket office will not be open on the night of the game.

Get down there and support the young lads in this tournament if you live local.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #61: Aug 17, 2011 01:32:33 am
      Thanks Whyohwhy....I thought 8 seemed a bit late  :roll:

Liverpool's youngsters host Sporting Lisbon in the first game of the NextGen Series at Anfield on Wednesday night and supporters should note the following ticket information.

The Kop grandstand will only be open and tickets are £5 for adults and £2 for children.

The match kicks-off at 7pm and the turnstiles will be open from 6pm.

Tickets are available from the ticket office but no pre-booking is required and you can pay at the turnstiles on the night.

Supporters should also note the ticket office will not be open on the night of the game.

Get down there and support the young lads in this tournament if you live local.

Fantastic opportunity for families to get to experience the Kop!  £14 for parents with 2 kids.  Price of a pizza hut pizza, bargain!  School holidays, hope we sell it out!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #62: Aug 17, 2011 12:55:19 pm
      What a shame, bad news for new boy Ryan McLaughlin:

RyanMcL2 Ryan McLaughlin
      Haven't got international clearence to play tonight! Never been more gutted in my life!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #63: Aug 17, 2011 01:03:30 pm
      This on LFCtv?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #64: Aug 17, 2011 01:19:03 pm
      To avoid confusion, it's in 5 hours and 15 minutes.

It's live on LFCtv.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #65: Aug 17, 2011 02:38:50 pm
      Any news on starting 11?
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,932 posts | 975 
      Reply #66: Aug 17, 2011 04:55:18 pm
      Really looking forward to this!  The future is looking bright with the talented youngsters we have coming through the ranks!  Any word on a starting 11?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #67: Aug 17, 2011 05:00:56 pm
      I can't wait either. Going to be a great night of football.

No word on starting line ups but i'd recommend watching the pre-game show on LFCtv. That'd most likely break the team first.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #68: Aug 17, 2011 05:19:46 pm
      Countdown To Kick Off will have the team news.

Off home I go to watch this.

Come on you Reds

Belford

McGiveron         Sama         Wisdom         Robinson

Coady         Shelvey

Silva         Suso         Sterling

Morgan

That would do me nicely.
      Squad is allowed three players over 19 too.
      Or born before the 1st Jan 1993. I think

Quick Reply