Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Carroll's role for next season

Read 4766 times
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 631 posts | 61 
      Re: Carroll's role for next season
      Reply #23: Jun 09, 2011 03:12:18 pm
      If he can stay injury free 20 plus goals would be nice.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #24: Jun 10, 2011 08:54:30 am
      a good start to the season for him will make all the difference and keep the paper talk sh*t off his back
      carrol and suarez will hit the ground running although we need a winger or two
      feel like i,ve been saying that for years ;D
      ynwa
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #25: Jun 10, 2011 01:10:00 pm
      His performance against City put me in mind of Cristian Vieri. He was simply unstoppable and the way he pulled that back four and midfield around winning every 50/50 and bringing people into the play as well as scoring himself twice.

I think we could have a very special target man on our hands and if he can recreate that form consistently then even 35m will look like a bargain.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #26: Jun 10, 2011 01:21:14 pm
      The thought of him and Suarez fully fit and rampant is mouthwatering, bring it on.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #27: Jun 10, 2011 02:40:57 pm
      First thing, get your f***in hair cut laddie, you look like a girl(no offence ladies), and you remind me of Veronin,
      Second, you need to slow down your Geordie accent so we can all understand you,( Kenny's is allowed he's the boss), shouting 'Whay aye' everytime you score will only confuse your partner wee Luis and of course young Jordan who hates hearing it, for obvious reasons being a former Makem,
      Third,
      if you have to go clubbing, it does'nt mean literally, in and around Liverpool, clubbing means going out dancing, getting extremely ratarsed, and bedding some tart who will pleasure your every need, and dont forget your court injunction application form has to be completed before your taxi comes,

lastly, you know that round thing full of air that your teamates like to keep a hold of ? well your role is to stick it between the posts and beyond the bloke with the fat gloves,if you can manage to do that 20-30 times a season, the folk in red will quite like you you know, godspeed fella, YNWA.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #28: Jun 10, 2011 02:55:25 pm
      My personal belief is that we will get the best out of Carrol and the whole team if Kenny sets us up in a 4-2-3-1 system, similar to the way Benitez used to set us up.  We would have two attacking full backs (a new LB needs to be a priority) to swing crosses in from deep or get to the endline and cut balls back across the box.  Have two deep lying midfielders - one holding midfielder focused on defending (Lucas/Spearo) and one deep lying creator with a range of passing and good long shot (Gerrard/Hendo/Shelvey) who can dictate play, keep possession, and guard the back four.  Carrol will operate as the target man to hold the ball up and allow the attack to develop, and also to bang in goals from crosses, set plays, and even a few of those left footed thunderbolts which we all know he is capable of. 

In my opinion, the effectiveness of this system will rely on the movement of the 3 attacking midfield players behind Carrol.  We all know Kenny likes to play pass and move football.  The movement and interchanging of positions needs to come from these 3 players, so it is important that all 3 have a bit of pace, good dribbling skills, the ability to pick a decisive pass or swing in a decent cross, and an eye for goal.  Suarez and Meireles fit this billing perfectly, and I think Maxi will prove to be a good backup in these roles.  I don't particularly fancy Kuyt filling one of these positions because his dribbling/passing is not as good as it needs to be.  I see Kuyt as a backup option for the target man spot. 

So, this leaves us with another position that needs strengthening.  We need a player who can drop deep to receive the ball as well as run through the channels.  Someone who can help create goals for others, as well as score a few himself.  And most importantly, we need someone who will help defend from the front and put pressure on the oppositions defense when in possession of the ball.  I personally believe that a player like Kun/Mata/Turan/Sanchez/Hazard/Lavezzi would be perfect to fill this 3rd attacking midfield position. 

This is, in my humble opinion, how we will get the best out of our Geordie Giant next season. 
      zxZXzx
      • Forum John Toshack

• 254 posts |
      Reply #29: Jun 12, 2011 01:29:34 pm
      Carroll= reason for hoofing, nothing more nothing less. Sorry i just dont like that type of strikers,for 35 mil i rather see 2x Suarez.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #30: Jun 12, 2011 01:31:56 pm
      Carroll= reason for hoofing, nothing more nothing else

Uh?!?  Surely a reason for crossing or considering his shot has some welly, a reason to cut back to him on the edge of the box.  If we can get him a bit more mobile, he's a daunting prospect.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #31: Jun 12, 2011 01:53:44 pm
      Come back from your holidays fully fit and raring to go and stick the ball in the back of the net as many times as u can.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #32: Jun 12, 2011 11:18:54 pm
      Striker
      HelpMeRhonda213
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #33: Jun 13, 2011 02:30:40 am
      It all depends on who we start. 4-4-1-1 with suarez in the hole giving him the ball and wingers out wide to cross it to his fabulous head.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #34: Jun 13, 2011 05:04:53 am
      eat brains, kill people, burn sh*t
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #35: Jun 13, 2011 05:16:34 am
      Center half >:(.FFS.The lad's a striker.433,,442,4411 he's still a striker :f_whistle:
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #36: Jun 13, 2011 01:51:42 pm
      Crap goal scoring record for Newcastle - well for top notch strikers it is. Can't see how he fits into Kenny's fluid quick football plans either. He's plan B at best & thats an awful way to spend £35M

The more you think about it, the worse the deal was... :(
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #37: Jun 13, 2011 03:39:21 pm
      His main role will be to score goals, surely. Dependant on what sort of quality wingers, left back and midfield options we get then Carroll would have to be lined up for 20+ goals. If he does,nt then I cant see him being able to change his game to suit us, hes not very quick and we seemed to change our game when he played last season (hoofball). I hope i,m wrong but 35 million was a lot of money to waste. If he succeeds, no problem but i can see him coming off the bench alot next season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #38: Jun 13, 2011 09:53:42 pm
      Ah Yes. Quote by Paisley.

Honourable Thoughts Of Chairman Bill.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #39: Jun 14, 2011 12:01:29 am
      Owing to current developments a 4-3-2-1 formation looks likely:

Reina

Johnson     Agger   Skrtel    Enrique

Lucas       
           Adams                   Meireles

Gerrard                                 Suarez
                            Caroll
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #40: Jun 14, 2011 09:56:18 am
      Errr to stick the ball in the F***ing net as many times as possible,oh and to stick that retard rio ferdinand flat on his arse with a split lip,that,ll do for me.

Quick Reply