Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 736056 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #3381: Apr 05, 2015 12:04:04 pm
      I'm not so sure Brendan does see Jordan as our next Captain.  Yes he made him VC this season but I think he envisaged Stevie being with us for another couple of seasons for him to learn from before stepping up to the main role.

If we can keep Skrtel, which isn't looking likely, then he'd be my Captain as he's rarely injured and starts every game.  The other options are Lucas and Sakho but Lucas isn't an automatic choice and may not be here and Sakho has too many injuries.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3382: Apr 06, 2015 07:24:14 pm
      If we can keep Skrtel, which isn't looking likely

Why do you say that Debs?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3383: Apr 06, 2015 07:35:02 pm

Just a feeling mate, same with Lucas.  I don't think either will be here next season.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #3384: Apr 06, 2015 07:48:22 pm
      Just don't get the criticism he's getting.

What I saw was a player out of position, in a team playing truly woefully, trying to make an impact when he could. He was trying non-stop and stepped up to take the penalty....fighting off nobody in the process.

Very good player and a very good character for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3385: Apr 06, 2015 08:00:24 pm
      Just don't get the criticism he's getting.

What I saw was a player out of position, in a team playing truly woefully, trying to make an impact when he could. He was trying non-stop and stepped up to take the penalty....fighting off nobody in the process.

Very good player and a very good character for me.

He was certainly no worse than the majority of players that were playing. Really hampers his game playing out of position so I'm not concerned because he has been contributing when played where he should be.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3386: Apr 07, 2015 12:55:46 am
      He was certainly no worse than the majority of players that were playing. Really hampers his game playing out of position so I'm not concerned because he has been contributing when played where he should be.

Him and Allen were walked all over at Anfield by the Mancs, and he was in his favoured position - a shrinking violet would be an apt description of him.

When it counts, can he be counted on... I don't honestly think so. Good player at best but another LFC player over-hyped by the fan-base IMO.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #3387: Apr 07, 2015 06:24:20 am
      When it counts, can he be counted on... I don't honestly think so. Good player at best but another LFC player over-hyped by the fan-base IMO.

Him and Allen were walked all over at Anfield by the Mancs, and he was in his favoured position - a shrinking violet would be an apt description of him.

indeed.  We all saw it with our own eyes but for some interesting stats you can have a look at the official Opta stats on the club website---

http://liverpoolfc.com/fixtures2014/first-team/arsenal-v-liverpool-8234/opta-match-stats

---you can see that Henderson had by far the worst passing accuracy of anyone in midfield against Arsenal, at 70.8%, only 4% of which were attempted long passes.  Everyone had a go at Lucas for his continual loss of the ball but his pass accuracy was over 90% in the same game.

Not the first time recently either.  Against Swansea, when played in his "favoured" position, Jordan still had the lowest pass accuracy, even worse against the Mancs, where again he was central yet only completed 61% (!) of his passes.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #3388: Apr 07, 2015 11:56:39 am
      indeed.  We all saw it with our own eyes but for some interesting stats you can have a look at the official Opta stats on the club website---

http://liverpoolfc.com/fixtures2014/first-team/arsenal-v-liverpool-8234/opta-match-stats

---you can see that Henderson had by far the worst passing accuracy of anyone in midfield against Arsenal, at 70.8%, only 4% of which were attempted long passes.  Everyone had a go at Lucas for his continual loss of the ball but his pass accuracy was over 90% in the same game.

Not the first time recently either.  Against Swansea, when played in his "favoured" position, Jordan still had the lowest pass accuracy, even worse against the Mancs, where again he was central yet only completed 61% (!) of his passes.

That's exactly why I don't feel too bothered if he wants to leave in the summer, there is plenty of upgrades available on Henderson.

AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #3389: Apr 07, 2015 01:13:18 pm
      That's exactly why I don't feel too bothered if he wants to leave in the summer, there is plenty of upgrades available on Henderson.

Starting to sound a lot like people want to clean house and just start again with this team. Only three weeks ago Hendo had scored 3 in 3 and people were saying how he had stepped up to the captaincy.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #3390: Apr 07, 2015 01:36:25 pm
      Starting to sound a lot like people want to clean house and just start again with this team. Only three weeks ago Hendo had scored 3 in 3 and people were saying how he had stepped up to the captaincy.

For me Hendo is a good squad player but if we want to go the next step up then we need a player who can dictate and control the midfield against the likes of United and Arsenal.
      I just don't think we should build midfield around him as he has too many technical deficiencies, having said that I hope he signs another contract and stays.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #3391: Apr 07, 2015 05:08:08 pm

Not me.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3392: Apr 07, 2015 05:22:13 pm
      Henderson has already had great games against the likes of Arsenal before, but how easily forgotten.

Our midfield is a weak spot right now but I don't think it's down to Henderson; the whole notion that he has to "control" midfield and "dictate" the game is a bit ridiculous if you consider he's just one player. No one single handedly wins the midfield battle, although saying so might be very poetic after a strong performance from a midfielder.

Joe Allen is a player who has shown he can be a useful squad player but so far not much more than that. Worse still is the fact I don't even think his best position is as the most defensive of midfielders, like he played against Man Utd, despite the fact he can make a decent contribution there now and again. Lucas is a shadow of the player he used to be, physically speaking, even though he remains one of the most intelligent players around, in terms of positioning and anticipation. Coutinho, for all there is to like from him, can be very hit and miss.

We've badly missed a good defensive midfielder in this team since last season. We did sign one in Emre Can, but we're now playing him in defense; so the problem remains.

Henderson is not world class and I don't think he ever will be, but that doesn't change the fact he is a very good player capable of offering a lot to our midfield, but the assumption that he is somehow responsible for all that goes wrong in that area of the pitch only because he's the captain seems to be entirely wrong and the criticism ends up being badly misplaced.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #3393: Apr 07, 2015 06:15:14 pm
      We've badly missed a good defensive midfielder in this team since last season. We did sign one in Emre Can, but we're now playing him in defense; so the problem remains. Henderson is not world class and I don't think he ever will be...

I agree that Henderson won't ever be first class.  But I also think that Emre Can, on the other hand, could indeed be world class in the near future.  I've said before in other threads, that we should totally gut the midfield and rebuild it around Can.  Make him our DM for the next ten years.  And find the right pieces to fit around him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3394: Apr 07, 2015 07:07:21 pm
      Him and Allen were walked all over at Anfield by the Mancs, and he was in his favoured position

Well I was talking about the Arsenal game soooo?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3395: Apr 07, 2015 07:49:24 pm
      He was certainly no worse than the majority of players that were playing. Really hampers his game playing out of position so I'm not concerned because he has been contributing when played where he should be

Soooooo?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #3396: Apr 07, 2015 07:56:10 pm
      I agree that Henderson won't ever be first class.  But I also think that Emre Can, on the other hand, could indeed be world class in the near future.  I've said before in other threads, that we should totally gut the midfield and rebuild it around Can.  Make him our DM for the next ten years.  And find the right pieces to fit around him.

You can still play Can as a DM and have Hendo in the side Fed.

Can

Hendo ??
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3397: Apr 07, 2015 08:08:49 pm
      You can still play Can as a DM and have Hendo in the side Fed.

Can

Hendo ??

I really don't think Can and Henderson in midfield would be ideal, our ball retention would be terrible?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #3398: Apr 07, 2015 08:24:47 pm
      I really don't think Can and Henderson in midfield would be ideal, our ball retention would be terrible?

Fair shout.

Something I've not really thought about before but now you mention it...
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #3399: Apr 07, 2015 09:29:53 pm

Think if we played Hendo in the centre he would be far better, Imo getting Hendo to commit to a contract is bigger than Sterling this summer.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3400: Apr 07, 2015 09:53:41 pm

I wonder if Can is disciplined enough to be a midfield anchor... not that we necessarily need one, but most teams have one. His passing can be erratic there as he tries to rush things, I tend to see him as more of an all round midfielder, as he also has something to offer going forward. If we had someone to stay deeper who is great at keeping the ball, a Xabi Alonso type of player, I think the energy of Hendo and Can along with that player would make for a formidable midfield.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #3401: Apr 07, 2015 09:59:54 pm
      I wonder if Can is disciplined enough to be a midfield anchor... not that we necessarily need one, but most teams have one. His passing can be erratic there as he tries to rush things, I tend to see him as more of an all round midfielder, as he also has something to offer going forward. If we had someone to stay deeper who is great at keeping the ball, a Xabi Alonso type of player, I think the energy of Hendo and Can along with that player would make for a formidable midfield.

That's exactly what I was thinking after reading JD and PurpleMonkey's comments above.

??

Can       Henderson
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #3402: Apr 07, 2015 10:14:16 pm

Khedira

Can       Pogba
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley