Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 719903 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #5451: May 14, 2018 08:35:24 pm
      When I think about it you're probably right about Neville - after all wasn't it his back pass that slithered into the goal under the hilarious air kick of Paul Robinson against Croatia back in 2006? It was the first indication that McClaren's reign was going to be the ultimate tragicomedy. Neville would get absolutely traumatised if he had to play the way most top class full backs play like these days (then again, so would most fullbacks from the 90s/00s)
      Found the video of the United back pass haha classic. At around 17 second into the video.
      You have to click it though, video playback has been locked to YouTube, since it is on FIFATV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzkeCbQsiMs
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #5452: May 27, 2018 10:38:54 am
      As Captain he should have been the first player to go over and console Karius, who was quite clearly left to walk alone!
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #5453: May 27, 2018 10:44:52 am
      Game passed him by I’m afraid
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5454: May 28, 2018 05:18:31 pm
      As Captain he should have been the first player to go over and console Karius, who was quite clearly left to walk alone!

I don't feel that was Henderson's job solely. The whole team are capable of putting an arm round one of their team mates so if I'm disappointed in that front it's the fact that no one offered an arm.

I don't think Hendo was too bad on Saturday night. But in terms of worthiness I continue to see him in a 'Darren Fletcher' light - a squad player who can put in a hell of a service and deserves a squad status but I still doubt his credibility as a starting eleven. I think he's proved me wrong on some aspects of his game this season but on others he hasn't.  But if we are to ascend to a higher level as a squad then his level will be around that level Fletcher occupied at Man Utd 10 years ago.

To me the focal point in midfield was on Gini and if any outfield player disappointed me most it was him. He took it upon himself to go forward with the ball but every time he it seems he failed to release the ball in time or in an adequate manner that our front three could run on to. Gini has been a really good player since signing for us in 2016 and was an upgrade from what we had previous. And while he has helped us sustain a Champions League place that's more or less his level. We just need that little bit more to win the big trophies and I don't think he has that.
      « Last Edit: May 28, 2018 05:23:14 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5455: May 28, 2018 05:46:40 pm

He was comforted though, seen pics of a couple of players around him and getting a hug from Klopp, to say he was left to walk alone is mildly exaggerating.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5456: May 28, 2018 05:49:13 pm
      Stick a young Steven Gerrard between Henderson and Gini and everything would look so much better.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5457: May 28, 2018 05:52:04 pm
      I don't feel that was Henderson's job solely. The whole team are capable of putting an arm round one of their team mates so if I'm disappointed in that front it's the fact that no one offered an arm.

I don't think Hendo was too bad on Saturday night. But in terms of worthiness I continue to see him in a 'Darren Fletcher' light - a squad player who can put in a hell of a service and deserves a squad status but I still doubt his credibility as a starting eleven. I think he's proved me wrong on some aspects of his game this season but on others he hasn't.  But if we are to ascend to a higher level as a squad then his level will be around that level Fletcher occupied at Man Utd 10 years ago.

To me the focal point in midfield was on Gini and if any outfield player disappointed me most it was him. He took it upon himself to go forward with the ball but every time he it seems he failed to release the ball in time or in an adequate manner that our front three could run on to. Gini has been a really good player since signing for us in 2016 and was an upgrade from what we had previous. And while he has helped us sustain a Champions League place that's more or less his level. We just need that little bit more to win the big trophies and I don't think he has that.

I was kinda disappointed not to see Hendo go towards Karius tbh, but whatever.

You know, I actually think Wijnaldum is the way forward rather than Hendo. I also thought he was our best midfielder on the night. Was impressed with how he broke free of their press at times, but also, driving forward and pressing etc.

With Hendo being more central, for me, he was the focal point, and he really struggled. There is one particlar length in the match that stands out for me, watch between 70-80 mins and see how poor Hendo was on and off the ball when in possession. Pretty much sums his game up when we have the ball tbh.

I also agree with you. Whilst I have always maintained he should be first choice and more of a box-boxer role, I just don't see that anymore :( With Ox and Fekir (possibly coming in), talk of another midfielder , I would put Keita, Wijnaldum and the new midfielder ahead of him.

I have a feeling next season, Wijnaldum will have a huge role with Keita in the middle next season, and I honestly believe they will form one of the best partnerships in league.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5458: May 28, 2018 05:52:54 pm
      He was comforted though, seen pics of a couple of players around him and getting a hug from Klopp, to say he was left to walk alone is mildly exaggerating.

He was left alone for quite a while :( First people to go up to him was Kroos (after celebrating) and one of our coaches.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5459: May 28, 2018 06:24:11 pm
      He was left alone for quite a while :( First people to go up to him was Kroos (after celebrating) and one of our coaches.

To be fair as Neville Southall pointed out on twitter, when someone makes mistakes like that other players don't know whether to go over or not, some people like to be left alone etc

Hard to judge, but as I said in the Karius thread the best statement was made by our fans in the ground, applauding him.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5460: May 28, 2018 06:52:45 pm
      To be fair as Neville Southall pointed out on twitter, when someone makes mistakes like that other players don't know whether to go over or not, some people like to be left alone etc

Hard to judge, but as I said in the Karius thread the best statement was made by our fans in the ground, applauding him.

Yeah, personally, If I were captain of our club, I would have gone up to him, but Hendo not going to Karius or some of our players doesn't and shouldn't define him as a captain.

Anyway,  on the flip side to clapping Karius, our fans boo'd and told Can to F**k off when he went over :/
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5461: May 28, 2018 06:55:35 pm
      Yeah, personally, If I were captain of our club, I would have gone up to him, but Hendo not going to Karius or some of our players doesn't and shouldn't define him as a captain.

Anyway,  on the flip side to clapping Karius, our fans boo'd and told Can to f**k off when he went over :/

To be fair though...Juventus?

I think some supporters believe that for what he's given to us (and it's very little) him keeping the club in limbo has been seen to be a bit shitty. He won't be missed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5462: May 28, 2018 07:01:27 pm
      I was kinda disappointed not to see Hendo go towards Karius tbh, but whatever.

You know, I actually think Wijnaldum is the way forward rather than Hendo. I also thought he was our best midfielder on the night. Was impressed with how he broke free of their press at times, but also, driving forward and pressing etc.

With Hendo being more central, for me, he was the focal point, and he really struggled. There is one particlar length in the match that stands out for me, watch between 70-80 mins and see how poor Hendo was on and off the ball when in possession. Pretty much sums his game up when we have the ball tbh.

I also agree with you. Whilst I have always maintained he should be first choice and more of a box-boxer role, I just don't see that anymore :( With Ox and Fekir (possibly coming in), talk of another midfielder , I would put Keita, Wijnaldum and the new midfielder ahead of him.

I have a feeling next season, Wijnaldum will have a huge role with Keita in the middle next season, and I honestly believe they will form one of the best partnerships in league.

Maybe I'd have to rewatch it again (as hard as it would be!) but I was just a bit disappointed that he couldn't provide despite taking on the ball and such. He was attacking, I'll give him that but impotent with it. Certainly don't want to see him leave or anything like that - aside from Moreno and Mignolet - I can't see how losing such players would help us. He's definitely of use to us especially home Premier League matches but just not quite useful enough to make a difference on a big stage like Saturday night. But maybe next season Klopp will have something different in store for Gini?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5463: May 28, 2018 07:16:49 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5464: May 28, 2018 07:20:52 pm
      But maybe next season Klopp will have something different in store for Gini?

Correct me if I am wrong, but even when Hendo was fit, Klopp favoured the double pivot of Wijnaldum and Can at times? I can see Keita and Wijnaldum playing similar but with Keita more of an 8.

Oh god, the more I think about it, the more I want the season to start tomorrow! I really think it would propel us to levels beyond what we have seen of previous seasons, and imo, it could be as good as the Rafa midfield :D. I really can't wait. I have a strong feeling we will see that at the start of the season as it may take time for the World cup players to reach a high level of fitness.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5465: May 28, 2018 07:26:39 pm

Anyway,  on the flip side to clapping Karius, our fans boo'd and told Can to F**k off when he went over :/

Haven't heard nothing about that, didn't see it on the coverage, so didn't have a clue about what reaction Can got.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5466: May 28, 2018 07:48:30 pm
      Haven't heard nothing about that, didn't see it on the coverage, so didn't have a clue about what reaction Can got.

I  will see if i can find something on it after the france match , there surely has to be something out there! Then I will post it on Can thread.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5467: May 28, 2018 07:53:39 pm
      I  will see if i can find something on it after the france match , there surely has to be something out there! Then I will post it on Can thread.

That France game on anywhere on tv or is that a stream you watching it on?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5468: May 28, 2018 07:57:42 pm
      That France game on anywhere on tv or is that a stream you watching it on?

Stream, can't find it anywhere on tv :(
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5469: May 28, 2018 08:00:08 pm
      Stream, can't find it anywhere on tv :(

Yeah might go and watch that for a bit, had a look around to see if they had any friendlies on, but as you say nothing on tv.
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #5470: May 28, 2018 10:00:36 pm
      I really wished, with all my heart, for all of the players to have a great game. Even for ones like Lovren that I want desperately for us to get rid off. It's not that I want those players to have bad games, ever, but I just don't trust them, and on Saturday, I trusted them all. Seeing Henderson with his side passes, passes to the back four, to the F***ing goalkeeper, to players 2 meters away from him...I just can't do it anymore. I am so tired of this mirage of a player.

Not good enough for Liverpool (or England). Never was, never will be.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #5471: May 29, 2018 06:23:16 am
      I really wished, with all my heart, for all of the players to have a great game. Even for ones like Lovren that I want desperately for us to get rid off. It's not that I want those players to have bad games, ever, but I just don't trust them, and on Saturday, I trusted them all. Seeing Henderson with his side passes, passes to the back four, to the f**king goalkeeper, to players 2 meters away from him...I just can't do it anymore. I am so tired of this mirage of a player.

Not good enough for Liverpool (or England). Never was, never will be.

My opinion also, i'd rather give the armband to VVD or Salah. I can't really see him lifting an important trophy for us.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5472: May 29, 2018 07:57:31 am
      He isn’t getting stripped of the captaincy. Firstly, because he doesn’t deserve to have it stripped off him (he hasn’t done anything wrong to warrant a stripping, even though I don’t think he should be captain) and secondly Jürgen clearly doesn’t give a sh*t about the armband. It’s about personalities and teamwork.

The Fabinho signing only validates in my mind how far off Hendo was to being the level of quality we need. Too slow with the ball, poor movement to receive passes and getting yelled at by VVD for five months for choosing to play a safe ball instead of an open man.

His strengths are shown further up the pitch. His shooting, crossing and interchanging runs are very good. I hope he gets to play in that role more often next season rather than the anchor.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5473: May 29, 2018 01:28:56 pm
      His strengths are shown further up the pitch. His shooting, crossing and interchanging runs are very good. I hope he gets to play in that role more often next season rather than the anchor.

I agree, but he hasn't played that role for so long, and for me, Wijnaldum is ahead of him.

If Keita and Fabinho becomes our main players, I can see Hendo and Wijnaldum fighting for that 3rd midfield role and playing more the more aggressive pressing role, and if Klopp doesn't fancy that, there is always Ox, Lallana or Fekir (if he signs :D)!

Can't believe how balanced and better our midfield looks with Fabinho and Keita, it's sickening!

Quick Reply