Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 730707 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #5497: Jun 20, 2018 01:52:12 pm
      I used to be one of those people that was blind to what Hendo brings to our play....not so much anymore as I've focused more on watching him play. I agree that if he was stifling our play, Klopp would be a madman on the sideline running him up one side and down the other. He's doing exactly what Jürgen wants and newsflash for everyone that thinks he shouldn't be captain....Klopp likes what he brings to the table there as well.

And like I had mentioned before....I don't care if mouthbreather was wearing the armband in the England game the other day, Jordan was the one that looked and acted like the real captain of that team.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #5498: Jun 20, 2018 02:04:34 pm
      To top everything off i have just read an article by sone crayon licker (stuart brennan) in the Manchester evening news essentially blaming Henderson for sterling's inability to score for england, the headine said something like it's lfc's problem not mcfc's. Won't give it the dignity of posting it here. Describes Henderson as a good pro but like a glass of water, whatever that means

Seen a tweet mentioning that last night, laughed my arse at the attempt to drag us into it, three F***ing years after he left the club!!

I know all the usual stuff that they throw at Scousers in Manchester, but F**k me that whole city has one big F**k off complex about Liverpool.

The last point about glass of water is a bit like the dig Cantona had at Deschamps when he described him as a water carrier.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #5499: Jun 20, 2018 03:37:31 pm
      So that was your take away from his post? He clearly just disagrees with Henderson being the issue with us not scoring in the games you mentioned, seeing as we scored well over 100 times and I wholeheartedly agree.

Let's go over the games you mentioned and see what the real issue was, because it sure as hell wasn't Henderson.

West-Brom: well that's funny, he didn't even play in that game. Unless you mean the 2-2 draw? Then we still managed two goals and I'd say the issue was defensively, not offensively.

Stoke: could it be that it was down to Gomez and Moreno starting, both returning from injury, Alexander-Arnold playing next to him in midfield and Ings playing in the front three? Not exactly our strongest starting eleven.

Everton: a front three of Ings, Solanke, Mane and Klavan playing at LB. I'm sure the lack of goals was due to Henderson 'reining in' his fellow teammates. Or do you mean the 1-1 at Anfield? The game where we were up 1-0 and only drew because Calvert-Lewin decided to dive and get a penalty?

Newcastle: we all know how we conceded that goal and the amount of chances we missed. We could've easily won that game.

You say you're not here to bash Henderson, yet not a single game you mentioned was drawn due to Henderson 'reining in' his teammates or us dominating possession too much. We created plenty of chances in all of those games and the goals we conceded, we're stupid ones to concede.

You say that 'the directive from him seems to be to keep shifting the ball side to side'. Are you sure that's his directive? Because I think it's Klopp's directive to keep stretching play. Don't you think Klopp would be raging on the touchline if Henderson was asking his teammates to just dominate possession without purpose? Klopp always mentions being patient, waiting for the right moment, keeping the ball moving. That's the exact opposite of trying to dribble players with the chance of losing the ball when our whole team is high up the pitch.

The issue with your idea of allowing both fullbacks and both other midfielders to go forward, is that we will only have three players behind the ball, leaving us wide open for counterattacks. One fullback needs to stay behind or level with the ball, same with the player in the #6 position (usually Henderson) and he has to play it 'safe'. You can't be too adventurous with your passing in that position. His job is to shift play, keep the game ticking and try to avoid counterattacks.

You draw out defenders by good movement and quick passing, not by trying to dribble past your direct opponent, you'll run into the next one who comes out the shape and the opposition will just shift and fill in the empty space. Movement is down to the attacking players and the fullback joining the attack, not Henderson.

The issue? Ha so many talk in absolutes online. A issue. A factor. Not the factor.

Last time I checked, I can like a player and still criticise elements of their game, no? As I said, I'm not bashing the guy. But in many games we totally dominated but failed to win, we were sluggish with our circulation of the football. We didn't change the tempo or directness of our attack. I'm talking about games with 60%+ of possession. I'm talking about teams that predominantly had only one player in advance of our midfield for the majority of the game (essentially 6-3-1 or 5-4-1), and were barely interested in countering, only surviving. I'm talking about seeing Hendo in a number of games admonishing or gesticulating towards other players in ways I disagreed with, and how I feel that has influenced the way many of our players seem so tentative to take the lead in such games. That's all.

Am I supposed to just absolve a guy who is supposed to be our leader on the pitch (and in our dressing room) when I see him relatively frequently insist on another backwards pass from an advanced midfielder or FB, when we've had, say, 85% of the possession in a 10-15 min period, and there is no genuine opposition threat of a counter that Hendo and the two CBs wouldn't eliminate with ease, and we're still waiting for a clear cut chance on goal? I'm all for possession. I'm all for stretching the play. But if we're struggling to be crisp and quick enough in doing so, then alternatives should be encouraged instead.

Man City would have had at least 3 times as many chances created in such scenarios they faced. I never saw De Bruyne and Silva be admonished by Fernandinho for not passing back to him instead of taking on a defender or attempting a killer pass, after a minute or two of side to side failed to stretch the defence, even if such a move failed. Because when teams are so defensive, you know you'll win the ball back shortly, especially when you can press the ball high effectively like Liverpool and City.

Am I saying Hendo is useless? Am I saying he specifically caused us to not win any of these games? No. I am saying if we are to meet (and potentially exceed) the heights of Man City, we must be creating the high amount and quality of chances against teams that park the bus as they did. I am also saying that, from what I've observed, I feel Hendo has an influence on many of our players continuing to circulate the ball relatively sluggishly rather than try to break what is clearly a stalemate with a change of tempo or directness.

As for the games I simply used as examples, please let's not counter with things like a team including some of our rotation players not being good enough to beat the clearly worst two sides in the league, or that because we scored twice from only 3 shots on target in a game we dominated possession, that we did well enough with the ball and it's only the defence's fault.

We clearly have an issue with breaking down excessively defensive teams. Certainly, the lack of an influential #10-like player is a key factor. But if we don't end up signing one, it is critical that our other midfielders are encouraged to (like Coutinho did for us) take on defenders and play riskier passes just a little more often than we did last year in such games. Considering our lack of leadership in this particular team, it's important that encouragement comes from Hendo.

As for tactics, you know very well I was just referring to the games where we are totally dominating and our opponents haven't come to play at all. We're talking about five or six at the back. Why would we need more than 2 CBs and a DM to cover a lone striker? The three or four other players are all camped before the long string of defenders, and are of little threat.

Good movement and quick passing is great, but when 10 opponents are parked deep within a small space of the field, it can only do so much (especially if it clearly isn't being executed quick enough) as we saw in many games. The best way to make space in such scenarios is to initially stretch the defence by going side to side before getting one of your players to catch a slightly complacent or lazy opponent off guard by running at them. This then draws another opponent (sometimes two), and then frees up space for a teammate to receive a through pass on goal or into threatening space. Coutinho would do this often for us.

Anyway, I do respect that you disagree that Hendo has any responsibility for the way our team plays in such situations. It's just my opinion based on my observations of his influence on others. I hope that doesn't mean, at least, that you're satisfied with how we've ended up approaching and executing such games, and that we clearly can't continue to play them at one pace. Peace
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #5500: Jun 20, 2018 04:06:42 pm
      The issue? Ha so many talk in absolutes online. A issue. A factor. Not the factor.

Last time I checked, I can like a player and still criticise elements of their game, no? As I said, I'm not bashing the guy. But in many games we totally dominated but failed to win, we were sluggish with our circulation of the football. We didn't change the tempo or directness of our attack. I'm talking about games with 60%+ of possession. I'm talking about teams that predominantly had only one player in advance of our midfield for the majority of the game (essentially 6-3-1 or 5-4-1), and were barely interested in countering, only surviving. I'm talking about seeing Hendo in a number of games admonishing or gesticulating towards other players in ways I disagreed with, and how I feel that has influenced the way many of our players seem so tentative to take the lead in such games. That's all.

Am I supposed to just absolve a guy who is supposed to be our leader on the pitch (and in our dressing room) when I see him relatively frequently insist on another backwards pass from an advanced midfielder or FB, when we've had, say, 85% of the possession in a 10-15 min period, and there is no genuine opposition threat of a counter that Hendo and the two CBs wouldn't eliminate with ease, and we're still waiting for a clear cut chance on goal? I'm all for possession. I'm all for stretching the play. But if we're struggling to be crisp and quick enough in doing so, then alternatives should be encouraged instead.

Man City would have had at least 3 times as many chances created in such scenarios they faced. I never saw De Bruyne and Silva be admonished by Fernandinho for not passing back to him instead of taking on a defender or attempting a killer pass, after a minute or two of side to side failed to stretch the defence, even if such a move failed. Because when teams are so defensive, you know you'll win the ball back shortly, especially when you can press the ball high effectively like Liverpool and City.

Am I saying Hendo is useless? Am I saying he specifically caused us to not win any of these games? No. I am saying if we are to meet (and potentially exceed) the heights of Man City, we must be creating the high amount and quality of chances against teams that park the bus as they did. I am also saying that, from what I've observed, I feel Hendo has an influence on many of our players continuing to circulate the ball relatively sluggishly rather than try to break what is clearly a stalemate with a change of tempo or directness.

As for the games I simply used as examples, please let's not counter with things like a team including some of our rotation players not being good enough to beat the clearly worst two sides in the league, or that because we scored twice from only 3 shots on target in a game we dominated possession, that we did well enough with the ball and it's only the defence's fault.

We clearly have an issue with breaking down excessively defensive teams. Certainly, the lack of an influential #10-like player is a key factor. But if we don't end up signing one, it is critical that our other midfielders are encouraged to (like Coutinho did for us) take on defenders and play riskier passes just a little more often than we did last year in such games. Considering our lack of leadership in this particular team, it's important that encouragement comes from Hendo.

As for tactics, you know very well I was just referring to the games where we are totally dominating and our opponents haven't come to play at all. We're talking about five or six at the back. Why would we need more than 2 CBs and a DM to cover a lone striker? The three or four other players are all camped before the long string of defenders, and are of little threat.

Good movement and quick passing is great, but when 10 opponents are parked deep within a small space of the field, it can only do so much (especially if it clearly isn't being executed quick enough) as we saw in many games. The best way to make space in such scenarios is to initially stretch the defence by going side to side before getting one of your players to catch a slightly complacent or lazy opponent off guard by running at them. This then draws another opponent (sometimes two), and then frees up space for a teammate to receive a through pass on goal or into threatening space. Coutinho would do this often for us.

Anyway, I do respect that you disagree that Hendo has any responsibility for the way our team plays in such situations. It's just my opinion based on my observations of his influence on others. I hope that doesn't mean, at least, that you're satisfied with how we've ended up approaching and executing such games, and that we clearly can't continue to play them at one pace. Peace

You tend to use a whole bunch of words, to say absolutely nothing. I'm not really seeing where you are refuting anything that Danzel mentioned (noting that he was using specific examples of games that you had mentioned). What I am seeing is that you don't like Hendo so you are simply polarizing his play through your own "observations".
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #5501: Jun 20, 2018 04:57:28 pm
      You tend to use a whole bunch of words, to say absolutely nothing. I'm not really seeing where you are refuting anything that Danzel mentioned (noting that he was using specific examples of games that you had mentioned). What I am seeing is that you don't like Hendo so you are simply polarizing his play through your own "observations".

Ha what do you want me to say in reply to that? Apparently all you see is that I don't like Hendo, despite me stating in this thread and elsewhere that I like him. He just happens to have at least one possible fault. Apparently me not finding a player perfect means I hate him and want to be rid of him.

It's absurd. I love our team and was overall pleased with how we stepped up many of our performances this season. Pleased but, sorry, not satisfied. Was Pep satisfied the previous season with their performances? No. He wasn't rubbishing his team, but he worked hard on lots of little things that let them down previously, because he wanted them to achieve a higher standard in play and mentality.

I am not going to apologise for wanting all these players in our team that I like to step up their play and mentality to reach that higher standard. Clearly we disagree that Hendo and his potential influence on the play selection of teammates had an effect on us not creating more clear cut chances against teams we were dominating that could have secured us considerably more points.

Obviously trying to suggest that we can drop points for more than one or two reasons is disputed.

I'm ok with that. As I said, it's just an observation. People have either seen it or not. Clearly no one here has. That's cool. But I'm not here, despite the apparent assumption, to rubbish Hendo or encourage others to, thanks.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5502: Jun 20, 2018 05:50:28 pm
      Get the feeling these commentators are watching a different f**king game to me with all these negative comments about the lad.
      Far as I'm concerned he didn't put a foot wrong and his long range distribution was faultless, had a good game.

it was only Keown who kept on with his pathetic attacks on him Lampard in particular was very impressed by him as was Ferdinand.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #5503: Jun 20, 2018 06:05:48 pm
      Ha what do you want me to say in reply to that? Apparently all you see is that I don't like Hendo, despite me stating in this thread and elsewhere that I like him. He just happens to have at least one possible fault. Apparently me not finding a player perfect means I hate him and want to be rid of him.

It's absurd. I love our team and was overall pleased with how we stepped up many of our performances this season. Pleased but, sorry, not satisfied. Was Pep satisfied the previous season with their performances? No. He wasn't rubbishing his team, but he worked hard on lots of little things that let them down previously, because he wanted them to achieve a higher standard in play and mentality.

I am not going to apologise for wanting all these players in our team that I like to step up their play and mentality to reach that higher standard. Clearly we disagree that Hendo and his potential influence on the play selection of teammates had an effect on us not creating more clear cut chances against teams we were dominating that could have secured us considerably more points.

Obviously trying to suggest that we can drop points for more than one or two reasons is disputed.

I'm ok with that. As I said, it's just an observation. People have either seen it or not. Clearly no one here has. That's cool. But I'm not here, despite the apparent assumption, to rubbish Hendo or encourage others to, thanks.

You made an assertion about his play which Danzel refuted (you mentioned specific games and he in turn discussed those performances), then you completely glossed over his responses and made it about your own "observations". It's an oft used tactic (I mean who can tell you what you do and don't see when watching a game), but ultimately one that doesn't really add credence to your position.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5504: Jun 20, 2018 07:24:25 pm
      Look I think if you don’t think Henderson is a good player by now you are one of two things:

1) Too stubborn to admit he’s good because of all the sh*t that’s been spoken

2) You actually don’t really see the quality he brings to the team (which club and country see clearly)

Is he world class? Not quite. One of the best in his role in the league for sure.

I like that we have Fabinho now to allow him to play more advanced and take a rest when needed.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #5505: Jun 21, 2018 01:40:18 am
      You made an assertion about his play which Danzel refuted (you mentioned specific games and he in turn discussed those performances), then you completely glossed over his responses and made it about your own "observations". It's an oft used tactic (I mean who can tell you what you do and don't see when watching a game), but ultimately one that doesn't really add credence to your position.

Refuted?

Why did we not win the CL final? Was it only because of Karius' mistakes? Was it only because Salah was injured?

Can people also not suggest things like we didn't quite play with our expected top gear of energy? That we didn't press and put as much pressure on Madrid when they had the ball, as we did against Man City, for example. That us having a lot of "nice guys" on our team is actually great, but that we perhaps lack some mongrel and leadership across the park to fight through adversity?

Would suggesting such things then somehow mean that Karius' mistakes and Salah's injury were no longer factors. That logic would be absurd.

Danzel didn't refute anything. He just listed other factors, no doubt some of them more key. But I never at any point suggested Hendo was a key factor in us not winning games, just that his influence may limit the number of clear cut chances we could potentially create in games we dominate.

But those excuses offered above are certainly not the only factors. It's absurd to suggest that because our defence conceded two goals vs West Brom that it absolves the rest of the team for only creating 3 shots on target against the worst team in the PL, where we were dominating possession.

It's also absurd to suggest that the only reason we couldn't beat the other worst PL side, Stoke, was because we used 3 rotation players, and a starter out of position. That's enough of an excuse for a great club like ours to only create 2 shots on target in a game we dominated?

And so on (ha no one would read anyway, we're all over this discussion).

Look, you guys are all welcome to be content with those performances. To just accept that we couldn't win those kinds of games against inferior opposition because of the kinds of excuses given. If Klopp and the team are also content with that, then we'll never win anything. Thankfully, I don't think they are.

But I think there are more than just those kinds of excuses that have held us back from winning more games and challenging for the title. And a lot of it has to do with player mentality and leadership on the pitch. Of all players, definitely not just Hendo, thank you very much. At least he is an actual regular voice on the pitch!

To suggest otherwise is either absurd or indicates no ambition for the club. As I said earlier though, to disagree that Hendo has any of the kind of influence I suggest at times is fine if one hasn't observed such themselves. I'm not saying that then makes me right and others ignorant, my intent is only to share a suspicion based on my observations of players interacting, combined with our lack of cutting edge.

I could certainly be mistaken. Perhaps despite his gesticulations, Hendo's influence didn't make those players relatively predictable and unambitious in those situations. Maybe they truly don't back their ability against a packed defence, or have the courage to potentially lose possession occasionally in order to break what is clearly a stalemate.

Hopefully we have a player or two with the confidence and leadership to step up in situations like this next year to render this influence, real or imaginary, rather obsolete anyway.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,153 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #5506: Jun 21, 2018 07:37:24 am
      Henderson starting is because we’re better with him than without him.

Have been since halfway through his first season when he’d settled in.

He’s the most under appreciated player in England by the average armchair fan.

He isn’t going to become a markedly different player - I don’t want him to. It’s a squad game and we need him more than most across a season.

Abso - F***ing - exactly!

Henderson is like the invisible man, he reminds me of Hamann. Unless you specifically watch him play then you miss all the dirty work he does. It's astounding how when we have a productive and creative midfield flank nobody says a word, the minute those flanks are unproductive it's all down to Jordan. I've always liked Henderson and he is one of the most selfless players i have ever watched play the game, alongside the likes of Kuyt.

He is a machine, he drinks diesel and sleeps in fully synthetic oil at night. When the midfield around him are of sufficient quality then Henderson is critically important to the way we play. His selfless and industrious work ethic allow those around him to display their attributes and talents.

As vital to this team as both Firmino and Salah.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5507: Jul 03, 2018 09:50:19 pm
      Joke
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #5508: Jul 03, 2018 10:02:21 pm
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5509: Jul 04, 2018 12:04:17 am

Yeah I need a laugh.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #5510: Jul 04, 2018 08:16:07 am

I'd like to avoid jumping to conclusions, but was this written to coincide with Hendo's missed penalty vs Colombia?

I haven't watched a replay, but I felt it was pretty well hit in the bottom corner and well saved by the keeper. Was it not hit hard enough? Or did he reveal the placement with his eyes or movement or something? I don't know, I didn't feel particularly critical of him from my only viewing of it.

I tell you what though, all I said to myself before the match started was for this game not to go to penalties. That's it. Then that late goal was conceded, and Hendo's shot was saved, and I was like Mexico lose every year in the round of 16, and England's thing is losing penalty shootouts, and receiving stupid red cards.

New vibe. Easiest path left to the final in probably WC history. England fans starting to believe again after promising themselves not to haha.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #5511: Jul 04, 2018 08:48:35 am
      IF.. England win the WC I'm expecting..

Arise Sir Jordan Henderson ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #5512: Jul 04, 2018 09:06:41 am
      He must be referring to the poor quality of Henderson's penalty.
      After a while to decide, he kicks it mid right.
      That makes it 50/50.
      Top corner, bottom corner is okay.
      Mid right is too easy to save.
      Kopite78
      Reply #5513: Jul 04, 2018 09:18:57 am
      He must be referring to the poor quality of Henderson's penalty.
      After a while to decide, he kicks it mid right.
      That makes it 50/50.
      Top corner, bottom corner is okay.
      Mid right is too easy to save.

Not quite

Only issue was his body shape.. he made it clear which side it was going by the way his body was open.
      It wasn't badly hit or that far from the corner it was just that he made the keepers mind up to go left and get as far across as possible
      It was a good save for me not a poor penalty

Anyway personally I'm just pleased England won because I couldn't have taken it being a Liverpool fall guy in the press and with other knuckle head fans

He was my concern
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #5514: Jul 04, 2018 09:25:01 am
      Not quite

Only issue was his body shape.. he made it clear which side it was going by the way his body was open.
      It wasn't badly hit or that far from the corner it was just that he made the keepers mind up to go left and get as far across as possible
      It was a good save for me not a poor penalty

Anyway personally I'm just pleased England won because I couldn't have taken it being a Liverpool fall guy in the press and with other knuckle head fans

He was my concern
      Henderson doesn't have the nerve for penalties really.
      Ideally we will soon pick a stronger captain but keep Hendo at Liverpool.
      A confident captain makes a confident team.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2818 
      Reply #5515: Jul 04, 2018 09:25:40 am
      Played well again - you could see how important he was when Dier went into the anchor role and England fell apart.

Shame about the pen but no harm done.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #5516: Jul 04, 2018 09:26:55 am
      Played well again - you could see how important he was when Dier went into the anchor role and England fell apart.

Shame about the pen but no harm done.
      You'll notice the commentators even said something like, "I am surprised Henderson is taking a penalty".
      Kopite78
      Reply #5517: Jul 04, 2018 09:32:45 am
      Henderson doesn't have the nerve for penalties really.
      Ideally we will soon pick a stronger captain but keep Hendo at Liverpool.
      A confident captain makes a confident team.

If he didn't have the nerve he wouldn't have put his hand up to take one

Obviously no others wanted it instead

Everyone at Liverpool loves Henderson (players I mean) they all call him skip and clearly hold him in high regard

I don't know what's so hard to understand about that or that you think you know better
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #5518: Jul 04, 2018 09:42:38 am
      Vardy obviously sh*t his pants at taking a penalty at least Hendo had the guts to put his hand up.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5519: Jul 04, 2018 09:59:03 am
      Had the balls to take a pen. Struck it excellently under pressure, great save.

He's had a very good tournament so far I think, has a big role in a team that all naturally want to bomb forward.

Quick Reply