Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 728235 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #5543: Jul 11, 2018 03:36:22 am
      Think Henderson has had a very good tournament and I'd go as far as saying he's been England's best player.

However, looking at the opposition he's played against its been dire to say the least.

If any england international can't get the better of a Tunisian, Panama, Swedish or even a Colombian midfield then they don't deserve to play in the premier league never mind play for Liverpool.

That said, he can only beat what's infront of him and he has done well to be fair to him.

I suspect he will have a much tougher game tomorrow night and if England win then it'll be the same in the final too. I've always said Henderson isn't that level. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #5544: Jul 11, 2018 11:12:31 pm
      Don't mean to kick him when he's down but as I suspected, he got nowhere near croatias midfield tonight. Modric bossed the game just like he did in Kiev.

Henderson simply isn't that level. It's the brutal truth of the matter.
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2018 11:27:08 pm by HamannsTheMan »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #5545: Jul 11, 2018 11:19:56 pm
      Don't mean to kick him when he down but as I suspected, he got nowhere near crostias midfield tonight. Modric bossed the game just like he did in Kiev.

Henderson simply isn't that level. It's the brutal truth of the matter.

Instead of your bug bear which other England midfielder got close to Modric?

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #5546: Jul 11, 2018 11:26:36 pm

What has that got to do with anything? Those players don't play for Liverpool so I didn't discuss them in the Jordan Henderson player thread.

For what it's worth I don't rate the other England players either. Other than Kane (who appeared injured), i wouldn't describe any of them as elite.

I said late last night Henderson would struggle in tonight's game and guess what, he did.

He had a good tournament Henderson but he was playing against dross like Panama and Tunisia. As soon as he came up against a decent midfield it was blatantly obvious the difference in levels.

How people still can't see that is completely beyond me.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #5547: Jul 11, 2018 11:32:17 pm
      What has that got to do with anything? Those players don't play for Liverpool so I didn't discuss them in the Jordan Henderson player thread.

For what it's worth I don't rate the other England players either. Other than Kane (who appeared injured), i wouldn't describe any of them as elite.

I said late last night Henderson would struggle in tonight's game and guess what, he did.

He had a good tournament Henderson but he was playing against dross like Panama and Tunisia. As soon as he came up against a decent midfield it was blatantly obvious the difference in levels.

How people still can't see that is completely beyond me.

Hendo was absolutely fine in the job he was given as a DM, you know what their role is?
      Same as the Croatian guy Brozivic.

If you want to slate midfielders for not getting on top of Modric then you are looking at the wrong player!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #5548: Jul 11, 2018 11:35:17 pm
      Hendo was absolutely fine in the job he was given as a DM, you know what their role is?

If you want to slate midfielders for not getting on top of Modric then you are looking at the wrong player!
      Not sure Hendo should have came off.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #5549: Jul 11, 2018 11:37:06 pm
      Not sure Hendo should have came off.

Indeed it was noticeable the difference with Dier that England list all semblance of shape.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #5550: Jul 11, 2018 11:38:08 pm

None did.

Modric is out of this world, someone in his level would only stop him
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #5551: Jul 11, 2018 11:38:19 pm

You're asking me if i understand football.

Do you?

You do know Henderson isn't restricted in moving around the pitch you know? Just like he wasn't against the other teams where he was praised for closing down and hassling the opposition all over the pitch.

It's like saying a full back can't cross the half way line ffs.

If you think Henderson had a good game tonight and you genunely couldn't see the difference in quality between their midfield and ours then it's just pointless debating any further so I'll just stop now.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5552: Jul 11, 2018 11:45:29 pm
      it's just pointless debating any further so I'll just stop now.

Thank Christ.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #5553: Jul 11, 2018 11:46:51 pm
      You're asking me if i understand football.

Do you?

You do know Henderson isn't restricted in moving around the pitch you know? Just like he wasn't against the other teams where he was praised for closing down and hassling the opposition all over the pitch.

It's like saying a full back can't cross the half way line ffs.

If you think Henderson had a good game tonight and you genunely couldn't see the difference in quality between their midfield and ours then it's just pointless debating any further so I'll just stop now.

It seems like your hatred of the Liverpool Captain, the team that you apparently support makes you blind to the fact that there was 3 midfielders for England of which Henderson was the deepest lying protecting his defence.
      And yes in that effect he did his primary job well, could he have done more on the ball as his two partners were useless in controlling the midfield well yes and if you want to slate him for not taking responsibility as a one man midfield you may have a point!!

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #5554: Jul 12, 2018 12:23:20 am
      It seems like your hatred of the Liverpool Captain, the team that you apparently support makes you blind to the fact that there was 3 midfielders for England of which Henderson was the deepest lying protecting his defence.
      And yes in that effect he did his primary job well, could he have done more on the ball as his two partners were useless in controlling the midfield well yes and if you want to slate him for not taking responsibility as a one man midfield you may have a point!!

Don't hate him, I just know he isn't good enough for the club I support. I know the levels that our players have to be to win titles. Modric is that kind of level and Henderson isn't fit to lace his boots.

People like you do my head right in. When somebody has a different opinion of you, you result to calling them a wum basically. Why did you use the word 'apparently'?

I have a L postcode and I have a season ticket in the upper cenny. Winds me up when people suggest I'm not a Liverpool fan or they're superior to me in some way.

Go in the introduce yourself topic. You'll find a photo of me with my boy at Anfield either last season or the season before. It was a WBA game I think.

The same one is on my Facebook page. So If you're that bothered then private message me on here for my details and then message me on Facebook and you can have a look through my page and see the same photo etc for yourself pal.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5555: Jul 12, 2018 12:25:57 am
      Don't hate him, I just know he isn't good enough for the club I support. I know the levels that our players have to be to win titles. Modric is that kind of level and Henderson isn't fit to lace his boots.

People like you do my head right in. When somebody has a different opinion of you, you result to calling them a wum basically. Why did you use the word 'apparently'?

I have a L postcode and I have a season ticket in the upper cenny. Winds me up when people suggest I'm not a Liverpool fan or they're superior to me in some way.

Go in the introduce yourself topic. You'll find a photo of me with my boy at Anfield either last season or the season before. It was a WBA game I think.

The same one is on my Facebook page. So If you're that bothered then private message me on here for my details and then message me on Facebook and you can have a look through my page and see the same photo etc for yourself pal.

Don't worry, we have Fabinho :) I suspect we'll see Hendo play more of an 8 role and have more of a support and presser role... well, at least I hope so!
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #5556: Jul 12, 2018 01:57:54 am
      Give the lad a chance, who the F**k could step out of Gerard’s shoes, and be perfect.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #5557: Jul 12, 2018 02:06:36 am
      Give the lad a chance, who the f**k could step out of Gerard’s shoes, and be perfect.

He's been here 7 years mate. It's not like im writing him off after one poor performance.

Nice lad, comes across well in his interviews and says the right things, can't knock his work rate either but ability wise he isn't and never will be good enough to play for a team with title ambitions.  It's just a shame that some of our fan base have forgotten what that standard is now.

Tonight, just like I said it would happen a day earlier, we saw the difference in levels. I know modric is probably the best midfielder in Europe right now but that's the standard it takes to win trophies and Hendo is nowhere near it.

People can tell me I'm wrong but at the end of the day Jordan Henderson will never be remembered as a player who 'shook the kop'. In ten years time we will be sat here and not one of you will look back and say god blimey that Jordan Henderson was a real player wasn't he.

Some of you are just completely blinded.

I bet you next summer Keita is linked with a move away. Funny how Henderson has never been linked with a move away though isn't it.

tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #5558: Jul 12, 2018 02:08:30 am
      Off topic, We support the greatest team on earth, but still argue amongst ourselves. Mate, would not swap Klopp for anyone. Support the team, and maybe, just maybe.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #5559: Jul 12, 2018 02:12:38 am
      Hmmm I also can be critical of Hendo at times, but not sure he was particularly outclassed to the extent suggested here.

He made a couple errors, but so did Modric actually, however, the latter did seem to grab hold of the game at moments where I felt Hendo did not.

Let's not forget though that if Stones didn't switch off for that brief moment, we'd still be looking at a likely penalty shootout. England couldn't convert just as many (if not more) other good chances as Croatia.

But yes, there were moments where the English midfield started to look like it was getting bossed. From my initial view though, I felt it was Lingard who was the noticeable one whose intensity dropped off. He did not close down nor track back on a number of occasions from probably around the 60th min.

When one of three midfielders start doing that, it becomes very hard for the others to look good trying to do extra work on tired legs. The fullbacks also started to struggle, and the system started to crumble enough to give Croatia some better chances in the later stages of the game.

But yeah, an initial viewing didn't leave me thinking Hendo couldn't match up with the Croatian midfield.
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #5560: Jul 12, 2018 02:17:12 am
      Mate, I remember watching a Mr Graeme Souness. If we had a player of his ilk, forget the F***ing league, the world would be ours.
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #5561: Jul 12, 2018 02:19:57 am
      Hello Rib, all the way from Torquay.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #5562: Jul 12, 2018 02:23:02 am
      He's been here 7 years mate. It's not like im writing him off after one poor performance.

Nice lad, comes across well in his interviews and says the right things, can't knock his work rate either but ability wise he isn't and never will be good enough to play for a team with title ambitions.  It's just a shame that some of our fan base have forgotten what that standard is now.

Tonight, just like I said it would happen a day earlier, we saw the difference in levels. I know modric is probably the best midfielder in Europe right now but that's the standard it takes to win trophies and Hendo is nowhere near it.

People can tell me I'm wrong but at the end of the day Jordan Henderson will never be remembered as a player who 'shook the kop'. In ten years time we will be sat here and not one of you will look back and say god blimey that Jordan Henderson was a real player wasn't he.

Some of you are just completely blinded.

I bet you next summer Keita is linked with a move away. Funny how Henderson has never been linked with a move away though isn't it.

Unfortunately a lot of people here think because Hendo is capable of working hard for the team that he is beyond criticism. That's a shame.

I understand what you mean. But personally, I don't think we need to match up against other top teams on individual ability. We just need players who work hard and smart in our system (Ox against Man City, for example), and just have a #10 with enough flair and creativity to unlock a parked bus when our system gets bogged against those teams.

I'm hoping Hendo will have more of a rotational role now that Fabinho and Keita are here, and as long as we don't have to totally rely on him to set tempo anymore, we should be fine. Hopefully losing the CL final will also have generated some fire within the bellies of our "nice guy" squad, which is probably the other key element we lacked against experienced operators.
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #5563: Jul 12, 2018 02:27:03 am
      Maybe Hendo has grown into a half decent footballer He surly has the experience now.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #5564: Jul 12, 2018 03:57:39 am
      Unfortunately a lot of people here think because Hendo is capable of working hard for the team that he is beyond criticism. That's a shame.

I understand what you mean. But personally, I don't think we need to match up against other top teams on individual ability. We just need players who work hard and smart in our system (Ox against Man City, for example), and just have a #10 with enough flair and creativity to unlock a parked bus when our system gets bogged against those teams.

I'm hoping Hendo will have more of a rotational role now that Fabinho and Keita are here, and as long as we don't have to totally rely on him to set tempo anymore, we should be fine. Hopefully losing the CL final will also have generated some fire within the bellies of our "nice guy" squad, which is probably the other key element we lacked against experienced operators.

I also agree that Henderson is beyond criticism with some reds who flat out refuse to admit he's had a bad game at times. I'd go as far as saying he has been the worst player on the pitch in some games and you still get reds saying he had a top game.

Kiev was a good example actually. I might be harsh here with my choice of words but I thought his performance was an absolute disgrace and not what I expect from a Liverpool captain in a European cup final. The focus has all been on karius of course, but when I've pointed out to people that our captain was non existent I've seen people say he actually had a very good game!

I think a lot is down to being skipper. Because he's the captain of our club it's like he's immune to criticism from certain people, I don't know I can't explain it, it's just weird and downright bizarre sometimes.

I disagree on your next point though. Hard work, tactics, game plans etc only get you so far. Yes those things can win you a one off football match, maybe even the majority of your games, but over the course of a season it still isn't enough.

Remember the song we all dream of a team of carraghers?  Now imagine a team of hendersons. Would be relegated in no time!

On your final point, If Henderson was a squad player for us then I'd very much welcome that. He's the perfect squad player actually. But should Jordan Henderson be captain of our club and therefore first name on the team sheet? Absolutely not.

I've spent hours and hours criticising him on this forum and we all just go round in circles but like i said earlier, in 10, 15, 20 years time there won't be any reds looking back saying what a player Jordan Henderson was. It's just a shame that some reds can't see it presently.

GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #5565: Jul 12, 2018 05:05:42 am
      I also agree that Henderson is beyond criticism with some reds who flat out refuse to admit he's had a bad game at times. I'd go as far as saying he has been the worst player on the pitch in some games and you still get reds saying he had a top game.

Kiev was a good example actually. I might be harsh here with my choice of words but I thought his performance was an absolute disgrace and not what I expect from a Liverpool captain in a European cup final. The focus has all been on karius of course, but when I've pointed out to people that our captain was non existent I've seen people say he actually had a very good game!

I think a lot is down to being skipper. Because he's the captain of our club it's like he's immune to criticism from certain people, I don't know I can't explain it, it's just weird and downright bizarre sometimes.

I disagree on your next point though. Hard work, tactics, game plans etc only get you so far. Yes those things can win you a one off football match, maybe even the majority of your games, but over the course of a season it still isn't enough.

Remember the song we all dream of a team of carraghers?  Now imagine a team of hendersons. Would be relegated in no time!

On your final point, If Henderson was a squad player for us then I'd very much welcome that. He's the perfect squad player actually. But should Jordan Henderson be captain of our club and therefore first name on the team sheet? Absolutely not.

I've spent hours and hours criticising him on this forum and we all just go round in circles but like i said earlier, in 10, 15, 20 years time there won't be any reds looking back saying what a player Jordan Henderson was. It's just a shame that some reds can't see it presently.

Yeah that's the part I'm having trouble with too. Hendo being captain yet only a rotational player. He's not old enough (or injury prone) for that to work like with, say, Kompany. And I have our most productive midfield as Fabinho, Keita, and Ox (or a new #10 style mid).

And hey look, I get what you mean about the calibre of player he is, and how his legacy will be soon forgotten compared to even players who only had 2-3 years at the club (but at least truly excelled).

I was also disappointed with the Kiev game. But I was mainly disappointed by the whole group. It looked like the air had been let out of their tyres. After such a decent break before the final, I expected them to come out of the traps pressing and working hard, and forcing Madrid to play killer balls with no time to do so. Instead it was something in between. But as you say, as captain, you'd expect Hendo to be able to get a real reaction from his players. You definitely wouldn't expect to see Ramos and Ronaldo go down with a whimper the way we kind of did.

But I do stand by our system being more important than having world class players. As nice as it would be to have a midfield of, say, De Bruyne, Silva, and Fernandinho, I actually don't think we're too many pieces behind City now. And despite Madrid winning the CL, I still consider City as the benchmark.

With our two new midfielders, we're just a GK and a #10 short. With those, I think our system would consistently trump theirs in a battle for the title. Obviously, we could also do with a new CB to pair with VVD, but Man City have their own similar liability in Otamendi, so we match there at least.

One could, of course, also argue about our relative lack of quality in depth to theirs, but against lesser teams where we'd rotate, it was really our lack of a commanding GK and a creative #10 that let us down.

Anyway, here's hoping we get the replacements in those two positions at least, and that Klopp can work the rest out!

Quick Reply