Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool -> Al-Ettifaq (5 months) -> Ajax)

Read 731586 times
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Re: Jordan Henderson Player Thread
      Reply #6256: Nov 28, 2018 08:58:33 pm
      Probably what most people have always suspected.
      +3   Quote and Reply

I would also hope Keita would have a larger sample as he only started a few games! but look at how much he likes to play forward.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #6257: Nov 28, 2018 10:19:04 pm
      I know ever manager has a blind spot but f**k me Henderson against the top teams, come on Jürgen it’s so obvious.

1 tackle all game bearing in mind we were under the cosh in the first half, that’s taking Swabs hatred of tackling literally  :lmao:

Edit : he’s not that great against average teams  :D
      « Last Edit: Nov 28, 2018 10:30:06 pm by HScRed1 »
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #6258: Nov 28, 2018 10:43:50 pm
      He one worse Liverpool players l ever see play for club as long mangers keep play him we win nothing time move him on buy someone much better in next summer or give even Curtis Jones a chance
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6259: Nov 28, 2018 11:09:04 pm
      Not as good as some think, but deffo not as bad either imho.
      Played better than several  of them tonite, not that says a whole lot - but the others aren't soaking up anywhere near the same grief.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #6260: Nov 28, 2018 11:18:17 pm
      I'm a fan of Hendo always defended him.

But his negative play is starting to annoy me.

He's a very useful squad player but needs to make way for Keita now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6261: Nov 28, 2018 11:20:08 pm
      The biggest issue for me is that playing the 3 together doesn't really work more than the individuals involved
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #6262: Nov 28, 2018 11:21:23 pm
      I'm a fan of Hendo always defended him.

But his negative play is starting to annoy me.

He's a very useful squad player but needs to make way for Keita now.

Completely different style Hendo would probably not play as much if Fabinho had should anything but he hasn't really apart from against inferior opposition has he
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6263: Nov 28, 2018 11:31:48 pm
      I want to say something about roosters but I've forgot the saying.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6264: Nov 28, 2018 11:42:21 pm
      I want to say something about roosters but I've forgot the saying.

The 3 man industrious midfield has been subbed to the bench?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6265: Nov 29, 2018 12:47:32 am
      The 3 man industrious midfield has been subbed to the bench?
      We did better with Keita and Shaqs, but as for Henderson even Uefa taking the piss now.

https://twitter.com/ChampionsLeague/status/1067917230015479808?s=20

Think Henderson was trying to do the splits there.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #6266: Nov 29, 2018 01:05:56 am
      I think most people here who rate Henderson are starting to see what the people here who don't rate Henderson are seeing...
      His a squad player in this team at best
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6267: Nov 29, 2018 01:32:56 am
      Does himself no favours and was garbage from start to finish. Unfortunately when it matters most, our captain is not somebody we can rely upon. I don’t see how he can be an option for our first 11, squad player is all he is, fill in here and there to add depth but he’s no more than that, as he’s proven again. I thought he might want to put right his display and red card at the weekend but he was worse, red card aside obviously.

Not good. Millie was the one who should have been playing the whole game, not Hendo.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #6268: Nov 29, 2018 02:13:00 am
      Shithouse no other way to put it. Nothing surprised me with what he did and didn't do with the ball, what did though was his mobility. Has he lost a significant amount of pace? He was stiff and rigged in his movement and the game flew by him. Not the sole reason for our troubles but I actually am starting to think he is regressing.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 258 
      Reply #6269: Nov 29, 2018 02:43:50 am
      The biggest issue for me is that playing the 3 together doesn't really work more than the individuals involved

Agree mate. Klopp make them look worse.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6270: Nov 29, 2018 02:56:27 am
      It's difficult to see what his role achieves. I get that he "recycles" the possession but players who tend to do that sort of thing are either purely defensive midfielders like Lucas Leiva or someone who also has more of a passing range in their locker and I'm just not sure if Hendo has either of those capabilities. It's just not enough for this level.

I'd like to see him making more forward runs at times especially given the engine the guy has.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6271: Nov 29, 2018 03:34:21 am
      It's difficult to see what his role achieves. I get that he "recycles" the possession but players who tend to do that sort of thing are either purely defensive midfielders like Lucas Leiva or someone who also has more of a passing range in their locker and I'm just not sure if Hendo has either of those capabilities. It's just not enough for this level.

I'd like to see him making more forward runs at times especially given the engine the guy has.

There’s recycling it and then there’s what happened in the 2nd half. We had a corner which was cleared to him just inside their half and with nobody around him or near him, he had plenty of time to play a ball back into the mix, but instead he turned and played it all the way back to Alisson! He does this regularly too.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #6272: Nov 29, 2018 07:36:28 am
      This is all a bit sad really, I remember when Kuyt and Lucas used to get the same level of constant criticism irrelevant of how they or other players played and it made me feel both sad and disappointed that Liverpool fans could go over the top so much about their own players - especially ones who wear the badge with pride and just keep going and going - the sort of stuff we used to applaud and Shanks and Bob used to demand from the players.

Henderson last night was in the deep lying defensive midfield role - for years players have always been criticised when they played that role because they just see a player doing simple things , little sideways passes , keeping the game ticking over , recycling possession , moving players in front around until a gap appears but Henderson’s get nothing but constant criticism for it - someone said as captain they expect a thundering tackle or to smash it in from 30 yards and produce a bit of magic , all they are doing is just comparing to Gerrard - that’s not Henderson’s game it never has been so why should he be lamblasted when he doesn’t do it , he isn’t going to go on dazzling runs , play constant Xabi balls all over the place again it’s not his game.

In his time at the club he has played various roles - high attacking mid , wide right , sitting mid and done them all eight credit - in fact doesn’t get enough credit

All this talk about the worst mid in CL and the Prem and with him we aren’t good enough to win this and that is nonsense - we didn’t lose last light because Henderson played , if Last night there was 10 players playing superbly and one who didn’t then I could understand the finger pointing towards him but it clearly wasn’t - Salah , Firmino , Gini , Lovren , Gomez all played really poorly last - especially the front two , we weren’t going to create much but whenever we did they were poor , far worse than Henderson - don’t see many finger pointing there

People are quick to mention a pass he made when he should have passed to a different player as if it’s a crime

But here are three instances last night that get ignored

1. Shaqiri gave the ball away on the right hand side of their penalty area ( about the fourth time he did ) and Rabiot burst forward going past Keita and Robbo - he was pretty much clear until one person got to him and stopped them having a clear 3 on 1 - Henderson

2. We were passing around the right edge of the box and Henderson then played this lovely little ball into Robbo bursting into the box who then had his shot blocked

3. Salah put in another poor corner , it was cleared to Henderson who put it back in cleared again but this time to Neymar who burst forward with Mbappe and Cavani - one player sprinted back and got right in front of Neymar and stopped the attack -

Henderson did that all night , it’s not flashy , it doesn’t grab headlines , fans just moan at it but his fellow players and manager appreciates it because that’s the job he is in the team for - to do all that simple stuff , Fabinho isn’t in the team because he has struggled to do it , you aren’t going to put Kieta or Shaqiri there - it’s not their roles

Henderson isn’t a world beater - no one has suggested he is - but he is a key player for the manager and the players , come the game in Napoli I have no doubt he will be in the team - he maybe won’t have Milner next to him or Gini but Henderson will be sitting there in front of the back for doing what the manager wants - and I fully expect he will get the same criticism and that for me is pretty poor from the fanbase - we used to appreciate players like him over the years well before Internet forums
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #6273: Nov 29, 2018 08:28:44 am
      What a load of crap. Henderson was shocking. It's game after game of back passes when there are clear options forwards, other DM don't do that. A DMs responsibility is to get the ball away from the ball not pass it there, otherwise it's 12 v 10 not 11 v 11.

Look you have shown to many that you don’t have a clue , don’t continue to embarrass yourself with uneducated nonsense
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #6274: Nov 29, 2018 08:30:16 am
      Look you have shown to many that you don’t have a clue , don’t continue to embarrass yourself with uneducated nonsense
      reposting because of grammar error.

What a load of crap. Henderson was shocking. It's game after game of back passes when there are clear options to go forward, other DM don't do that. A DMs responsibility is to get the ball away from the back not pass it there, otherwise it's 12 v 10 not 11 v 11. Other DM do back pass when nothing else is on... It's Henderson's first option.

Why do you assume my opinion is uneducated? I'm guessing you have pictures of Henderson allover your wall like that creepy guy has of Alan in Alan Partridge.

I don't rate Henderson but for Henderson's sake, hope he doesn't end up in a situation like this if his car breaks down outside your house.
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2018 08:40:34 am by Ribapuru »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6275: Nov 29, 2018 08:38:09 am
      1. Shaqiri gave the ball away on the right hand side of their penalty area ( about the fourth time he did ) and Rabiot burst forward going past Keita and Robbo - he was pretty much clear until one person got to him and stopped them having a clear 3 on 1 - Henderson

2. We were passing around the right edge of the box and Henderson then played this lovely little ball into Robbo bursting into the box who then had his shot blocked

3. Salah put in another poor corner , it was cleared to Henderson who put it back in cleared again but this time to Neymar who burst forward with Mbappe and Cavani - one player sprinted back and got right in front of Neymar and stopped the attack -

Henderson did that all night , it’s not flashy , it doesn’t grab headlines , fans just moan at it but his fellow players and manager appreciates it because that’s the job he is in the team for - to do all that simple stuff , Fabinho isn’t in the team because he has struggled to do it

Fair enough if you want to defend Hendo, I thought he improved 2nd half(still meh!), but ultimately, he and the team were poor all night and we deserved to lose; but to say Fabinho is not in the team because he has struggled to show the points you highlighted is absolutely ridiculous.

He has only started 4 games, and in 3/4 games he started, he showed he was more than capable, and whilst he struggled in a midfield 3 vs Arsenal, we still drew that game, a game one could say was just as difficult as the PSG away game.

The only problems with Fabinho is that he lacks match sharpness and doesn't seem as comfortable in a midfield 3 as he is in a midfield 2, but he has shown he is more than capable vs Chelsea at home.

Henderson isn’t a world beater - no one has suggested he is - but he is a key player for the manager and the players

Tbh, there are some that hints towards him being a God like player that does no wrong, but I also acknowledge some rate C.Adam higher. As Arab Scouse posted previously, there are 3 sets of fans, the super fans, haters and the middle ones.

Overall, I agree, the manager sees him as a key player, but that doesn't mean he is a key player for the first team, right? And yeah, maybe the players see him as a key player, whether on the pitch or off it (captain's role), who knows.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #6276: Nov 29, 2018 08:38:19 am
      reposting because of grammar error.

What a load of crap. Henderson was shocking. It's game after game of back passes when there are clear options to go forward, other DM don't do that. A DMs responsibility is to get the ball away from the back not pass it there, otherwise it's 12 v 10 not 11 v 11. Other DM do back pass when nothing else is on... It's Henderson's first option.

It wasn’t uneducated nonsense because of a spelling error - it was uneducated because you appear to not have a clue about the game

It quite clearly wasn’t just a game from Henderson of nothing but back passes - but I suspect you don’t see anything else because you only look for the things to be critical about. Can you even remember the ball to Robbo ? I can even remember at least 3 or four where he played first time balls right across the field to both Robbo , Mane and Salah

But if some people like yourself only want to see one thing that’s all they will see.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6277: Nov 29, 2018 08:49:16 am
      Breaking news:  Jordan Henderson isn't Steven Gerrard,  now F***ing get over it.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #6278: Nov 29, 2018 08:52:46 am
      Fair enough if you want to defend Hendo, I thought he improved 2nd half(still meh!), but ultimately, he and the team were poor all night and we deserved to lose; but to say Fabinho is not in the team because he has struggled to show the points you highlighted is absolutely ridiculous.

He has only started 4 games, and in 3/4 games he started, he showed he was more than capable, and whilst he struggled in a midfield 3 vs Arsenal, we still drew that game, a game one could say was just as difficult as the PSG away game.

The only problems with Fabinho is that he lacks match sharpness and doesn't seem as comfortable in a midfield 3 as he is in a midfield 2, but he has shown he is more than capable vs Chelsea at home.

The problem I have seen so far is he doesn’t seem to positonally disciplined - he looks great when he burst forward with the ball but when he does he leaves and gap and then because of the lack of sharpness he struggles to get back

BUT I actually think him and Henderson together can form a good partnership - Henderson can do all the boring donkey cover work when Fabinho goes forward - it’s a shame they haven’t had the chance to get playing time together

I think when everyone is fit and settled -

A midfield three of any variation either as a two and one ahead with

Henderson/Fabinho and Keita will be the first choice

That leaves Milner and Gini as back up to Fabinho and Henderson with Shaqiri the back up to Keita or as an alternative depending on the opposition

Tbh, there are some that hints towards him being a God like player that does no wrong, but I also acknowledge some rate C.Adam higher. As Arab Scouse posted previously, there are 3 sets of fans, the super fans, haters and the middle ones.

Overall, I agree, the manager sees him as a key player, but that doesn't mean he is a key player for the first team, right? And yeah, maybe the players see him as a key player, whether on the pitch or off it (captain's role), who knows.

I think Klopp sees him in his first 11 - it’s evident over the last three years that when Henderson is fit he plays - Klopp likes him as a player

Quick Reply