Read 23392 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Maxi (Newells Old Boys)
      Jun 15, 2011 10:19:54 am
      Newell's Old Boys president Guillermo Lorente has admitted that he dreams of seeing Lionel Messi wear the shirt of the Rosario club, and has already tried to convince the Barcelona maestro to end his career back in his home town.

A lifelong fan of the club, Messi joined the youth ranks at the age of 8 before moving to Spain when he was barely a teenager. The Ballon D'Or winner is still a passionate follower of the club's fortunes, and this week appeared in a charity match at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, along with fellow Newell's alumni Maxi Rodriguez and Javier Zanetti.

Speaking to Ole, Lorente made no effort to hide his desire to one day watch Messi represent his boyhood idols. And although the 23-year-old is still many years away from ending his career, the president revealed that he had already started efforts to bring the forward back in his twilight football years.

"We have been chatting for a while with Leo. We know that it is difficult, but we are doing everything possible to bring him back to Newell's," the chief stated. "We are on it, driving him crazy!"

One player who could return soon, though, is Maxi Rodriguez, currently playing for Liverpool. The 30-year-old midfielder affirmed that he had said yes to Lorente when asked in Rosario, but that a move was hanging on whether the English club would be prepared to release him.

"The president [Lorente] called me and I told him yes," Maxi told La Capital on Tuesday afternoon.

"Now it all depends on the contract I have with Liverpool, that maybe can be loosened a little."
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Re: Maxi (Newells Old Boys)
      Reply #1: Jun 15, 2011 10:34:04 am
      Well, if it's true, i'm glad he managed to have a nice ending to his rather invisible career at our club.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Jun 15, 2011 10:35:54 am
      I'd be looking for at least £5 million when you see the money being bandied around for average F***ing players
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #3: Jun 15, 2011 11:16:56 am
      Well, if it's true, I'm glad he managed to have a nice ending to his rather invisible career at our club.

Yeah, why would we want a wide attacking player that has scored more goals in the league than Nani, N'Zogbia, Walcott, Bale, Downing or Young last season ...
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #4: Jun 15, 2011 11:24:49 am
      I'd sell for £5m+ unless he can persuade Aguero to join us ;)
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #5: Jun 15, 2011 11:30:05 am
      Yeah, why would we want a wide attacking player that has scored more goals in the league than Nani, N'Zogbia, Walcott, Bale, Downing or Young last season ...

Jesus man, he's 30. And how would you know he'd be able to keep it up? The 2 hattricks were more of a momentum thing. Just like Meireles goal streak in Jan/Feb. Eventually he returned back to normal.
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 15, 2011 11:32:37 am
      wouldnt be too fussed if maxi goes or stays next season. nothing more than a squad player IMO
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #7: Jun 15, 2011 11:36:57 am
      Ya an invisible career played 50 plus times for Argentina, captained atletico played for Liverpool. Wouldn't mind having an invisible career like that myself
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #8: Jun 15, 2011 11:43:24 am
      Jesus man, he's 30. And how would you know he'd be able to keep it up?

In that case, we are in trouble ... Our best player has just turned 31 ...
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 15, 2011 11:46:17 am
      Ya an invisible career played 50 plus times for Argentina, captained atletico played for Liverpool. Wouldn't mind having an invisible career like that myself

emile heskey has a similar sort of career too. still sh*te though.

maxi is inconsistent and just because he bagged a couple of hat tricks towards the end of last season doesn't mean we should be making him out for more than what he is.

he is a squad player. nothing more.

if we are serious about challenging for the league next season then id want better quality than maxi on the wings.

happy for him to stay by all means and play in a squad role but thats as far as it goes for me.
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 15, 2011 12:03:33 pm
      id accept 6 mil+, but nothing less, he did prove that he can have a few good games.....but isnt he on some pretty big wages, a string of three good games doesnt change the fact that hes still taking up a good piece of the weekly wages, and that if a good offer were to come along then we are prolly best off accepting it
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #11: Jun 15, 2011 12:04:48 pm

They want him on a free transfer ...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #12: Jun 15, 2011 12:16:53 pm
      We want better quality than a lad with 50 caps for Argentina who was in and out of the team and still managed 10 Premier league goals only and is versatile.

People are talking about squad depth will someone please explain to me who we would get to replace Maxi as a squad player and how much they are going to cost.

The difference between Maxi and Heskey is he is well thought of everywhere he has been, Maxi is highly under rated like Raul. Both 2 extremely intelliegent players and very important players if you want to play pass and move
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #13: Jun 15, 2011 12:20:01 pm
      They want him on a free transfer ...

Yup, hence why Maxi has came out and said he wants his contract loosened. Fair enough he wants to return home I suppose, (it seems the 'Argentinian way' to make their money abroad then return once the money has been made) but he has a contract with Liverpool, and we should not be being bullied to sell at anything but a value we are happy with.

A free transfer is not value for us.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #14: Jun 15, 2011 12:23:15 pm
      A free transfer is a joke, if he was leaving Blackpool they would be looking for £15 million
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #15: Jun 15, 2011 12:33:25 pm
      dont particularly think maxi is under rated but id say your certainly over rating him corbally just because he has so many caps.

would you have maxi in your starting 11 if you were competing for the league? from the off to to the finish providing he was fit?

I wouldnt, thats just my opinion, I believe there are 100 better wingers/wide men out there.

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2011 12:43:58 pm by Kop_Red »
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #16: Jun 15, 2011 12:39:35 pm
      dont particularly think maxi is under rated but id say your certainly over rating him corbally just because he has so many caps.

would you have maxi in your starting 11 if you were competing for the league? from the off to to the finish providing he was fit?

I wouldnt, thats just my opinion, I believe theyre are 100 better wingers/wide men out there.

The real question is: Do you want Maxi on your title challenging SQUAD ? Take your time before answering ...
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 15, 2011 12:43:22 pm
      squad players come and go so i don't mind whether maxi stays or goes.

i dont think hes good enough to play in the first 11 so thats why im not arsed if we choose to release him.

an ideal bench for me is one that keeps the first 11 on their toes but if we sign downing/mata/n'zogbia then i cant really see maxi challenging any of them for a place to be honest.

whether maxi stays or goes i think is irrelevant to where we will finish in the league next season. hes just an okay squad player for me.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #18: Jun 15, 2011 01:00:47 pm
      Sell him, he had an average season and three good games don't make up for thirty poor ones. Few months back he was on pretty much everybody's to go list, two hat tricks later and all of a sudden he's a must stay. Nah, still not good enough to play for this club.

Get him off the wage bill and if the rumours of Mata, Downing, Young, N'Zogbia are true then we're more than likely to have a natural left winger in our squad anyway. As well as Kuyt who can play there, Meireles (if still here) was put there ahead of Maxi at the start of Kenny's reign and it was only an injury that gave Maxi his chance back in the side. Aurelio (if still here) can play a few games on the left. As well as one of the best prospects in our youth side - Sterling - plays on the left. Even Dani Pacheco plays on the left for Spain's U-21s.

Jovanovich, Cole, Maxi. Three sh*t players we've had on the left this year. Quicker all three are gone the better.

(we have to keep him though cos me nephew just got Maxi on his new away shirt)
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #19: Jun 15, 2011 01:08:13 pm

it is of value to us because the owners are trying to slash the wage bill and you can be sure Maxi is on a big salary. He was getting 5m per season at Athletico so I'm sure he was earning close to that with us. Has been a decent player for us but if he wants to leave then best of luck Maxi.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #20: Jun 15, 2011 01:10:30 pm
      I wouldn't miss him but he is a very decent player. I'm only afraid about the chemistry of him with Suarez :/

No as free but yes for 6M+!!!!
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #21: Jun 15, 2011 01:14:09 pm
      Definately past his best, but id rather keep him than cole jovanovich or poulsen.
      Having said that if we get rid of all of them then you'll find no complaints from me
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #22: Jun 15, 2011 01:17:47 pm
      Maxi Pad - decent cheap signing for us & a decent squad player.

Quick Reply