Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Luka Modric (Tottenham)

Read 7187 times
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Luka Modric (Tottenham)
      Jun 17, 2011 11:32:15 pm
      Luka Modric dropped a bombshell on Tottenham when he told Sportsmail he wants to leave White Hart Lane and sign for Chelsea

The midfielder took the stunning decision to declare his reasons for wanting to join Chelsea, who are preparing a second offer for the Croat in the next 48 hours.

It is an action that will enrage his employers and Spurs supporters, but Modric says he wants to move to a club with ambitions of winning the Barclays Premier League title and is going public to force the issue.

True Blue: Luka Modric has dropped a bombshell on Tottenham by asking to leave

Last night the 25-year-old spoke to Sportsmail from his holiday boat and said: ā€˜I want to leave Tottenham as friends. I have enjoyed my time there, but now it is right for me to look at another club.

'I have an arrangement with the chairman. When I signed my new contract, he said that, if another club came to sign me, they would consider the offer.ā€™

A second Chelsea offer is due - and this time the price will rise from their opening Ā£22million bid to closer to Ā£30m.

And Modric said: ā€˜Chelsea are a big club with an ambitious owner. They have great players and they have ambitions to fight for the title and win the Champions League.

ā€˜I want to stay in London. I am very happy here and so are my family. I like the city.ā€™

Stuck in the middle: Modric doesn't want to anger Tottenham fans but is desperate to win trophies

The news will explain why Manchester City and Manchester United have been monitoring and talking, rather than formally bidding. They have clearly got wind of Modricā€™s desire to stay in London in the last 24 hours, which puts Chelsea in pole position.

ā€˜I donā€™t want to have an argument with Tottenham,ā€™ said Modric. ā€˜The supporters have been very good to me and I have enjoyed my time playing for the club, but it is for football that players leave clubs and move. It has happened to Tottenham before. It is normal for a player to dream about playing for a bigger club.ā€™

Modric will speak to Spurs chairman Daniel Levy about arranging the transfer but insists the desire to leave is not about money.

Taste of the top: Modric has been driven by his desire to play in the Champions League again

ā€˜If somebody comes to the club and the offer is good for me and acceptable to them, then I want to leave,ā€™ he said. ā€˜It has to be good for my ambition. It has to be a club who are winning titles and playing in the Champions League.

ā€˜This is not about money, it is about ambition. When I came to England, I was dreaming about winning titles. That is still the same.

ā€˜Tottenham are a big club, with good players and a good manager, but I want to fight for the championship. Spurs will always have a place in my heart. My experiences in the Champions League have left me with the desire for more.ā€™

Rebuilding project: Harry Redknapp and chairman Daniel Levy face the tough task of finding a replacement for the supremely talented Croatian midfielder

When asked what happens next, Modric said: ā€˜I need to talk with the chairman. I wonā€™t ask for a transfer, no. That would be disrespectful. I hope they can reach an agreement (with another club) that is satisfactory for everyone. I am on holiday, but I need to speak and to see if I can find a solution to this.ā€™

Spurs fans will expect Levy to offer Modric a new contract and keep his word. The chairman has said that he will not allow the player to go, while manager Harry Redknapp described the original Chelsea offer as ā€˜ridiculousā€™.

Luka Modric exclusive: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2004862/Luka-Modric-exclusive-I-want-join-Chelsea.html#ixzz1PZeiZkz4
      « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2011 05:54:22 pm by RedPuppy »
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Re: Luka Modric wants to leave Tottenham
      Reply #1: Jun 18, 2011 01:09:34 am

Luka Modric reveals he wants to leave Tottenham for Chelsea

ā€¢ Midfielder claims Daniel Levy has agreed to listen to offers
      ā€¢ 'Chelsea are a big club with an ambitious owner,' says Modric

Jamie Jackson
          The Guardian, Saturday 18 June 2011

Luka Modric has told Tottenham Hotspur that they do not match his ambitions and admitted for the first time that he would like to join Chelsea.

Despite Tottenham rejecting a Ā£22m bid from Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner, on Wednesday for the Croatia midfielder and Harry Redknapp, the manager, saying the 25-year-old is not for sale, Modric has broken rank to try to force his dream move through.

He said: "I would like to go to Chelsea. A lot of players would like to go there and play for Chelsea because it is one of the best clubs in the world, and so do I. I would like to play there. But we will see what will happen. Chelsea are a great club, they play in the Champions League every year, they have great players, they are ambitious and have an ambitious owner who wants to invest in the club and make it win the Champions League, the Premier League and other titles.

"They are going in a great direction and everything about the club is very good. They [Chelsea] are the only one who sent an offer and they are at the moment my first choice."

Although Modric is adamant he wants to leave he is hopeful his departure will not be acrimonious. "I don't want to fight and argue with Tottenham," he said. "I'll want to go in a good way, a friendly way so I can stay friends with them. I have spent three great years there and the fans are great, the club is great.

"I love them and they love me but that's the way it is and I have to think what is best for my career. But first I need to speak to the chairman [Daniel Levy] and see his view on everything. I don't know when that will be, but soon."

Modric admitted in interviews with the Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph that Tottenham's failure to qualify for the Champions League, which they played in last season, had caused him to look elsewhere.

"It's a short period [your career] and you want to fulfil your personal ambitions as a football player, win trophies, play Champions League football every year," he said .

"That is what I want. Last season it was the first time I had played in the Champions League and it was amazing. It's a great competition, the best in the world, and I would like to play in it again. I would like to play in it this year ā€“ it's going to be difficult to play without the Champions League."

Although Manchester United and Manchester City retain an interest in the playmaker, Modric appeared to rule out a move away from London. "I like the city, I want to stay in London. I am very happy here and so are my family," he said. "Spurs will always have a place in my heart [but] my experiences in the Champions League have left me with the desire for more."

Asked what might be the next move Modric said: "I need to talk with the chairman. I won't ask for a transfer, no. That would be disrespectful.

"I hope they can reach an agreement [with another club] that is satisfactory for everyone. I am on holiday [until 6 July], but I need to speak and to see if I can find a solution to this."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/17/luka-modric-tottenham-chelsea
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #2: Jun 18, 2011 08:34:56 am
      Massive player for them, will be a tremendous blow if he does leave.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Jun 18, 2011 09:10:07 am
      What a pr*ck
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #4: Jun 18, 2011 09:21:45 am
      A kick in the teeth for united fans :lmao: :lmao: all week all I've heard is Modric to the scum was nailed on, then he comes out with this.
      KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 18, 2011 10:08:28 am
      OOOOOoooooo theres that 'bigger club' statement again!!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jun 18, 2011 10:13:01 am
      Can't see why he wants to sign for Chelsea to be honest, alls not well there.

Take Salomon Kalou's comment on Torres joining in January

ā€œOur players were preoccupied with finding out who was in the side and who wasnā€™t. This disrupted our progress."

ā€œIt is better to build a team gradually than to bring in players who will pout and sulk.ā€

Silly move for him to be honest, Fat Frank, Essien and co will give the lad the cold shoulder if their place comes under threat.

daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • JĆ¼rgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #7: Jun 18, 2011 12:24:51 pm
      OOOOOoooooo theres that 'bigger club' statement again!!
      You can't beat the''BIGGER CLUB'' lark. What will aul 'Arry have to say now.''Well we did put a bid in for Messi & Luka wasn't impressed so he want's away now''  :lmao:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Jun 18, 2011 12:31:50 pm
      Big club my F***ing arse, Spurs are a bigger club with a bigger fan base, Chelsea just have a F***ing wealthy owner that somehow became a billionaire on Siberian oil fields, strange that. They should change there name to Roman FC. I'm F***ing sick of them, starting to nearly dislike them as much as Utd
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Reply #9: Jun 18, 2011 04:11:44 pm
      Another one getting ready to take a massive backward step in their career.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Jun 18, 2011 04:21:39 pm
      Spuds have said they won't sell him at any price.

The next installment in this saga will be Modric handing in a transfer request to the club he wants to leave as friends.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #11: Jun 18, 2011 04:25:09 pm

The next installment in this saga will be Modric handing in a transfer request to the club he wants to leave as friends.

That "we won't sell at any price" quote is just Tottenham trying to get the most out of Modric they can in my opinion. They know he's going to be gone and want the best fee possible.

He is an amazing talent, shame he's going to waste it away at the sh*te that is Chelsea.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Jun 18, 2011 05:06:49 pm

Doesn't matter what he says. He said this a few years ago, http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/chairmanspeaksout180708.html

And they sold them both so I really wouldn't believe what Levy says.

If Chelsea get Modric, I feel they'll be the team to beat.

Cech

Ivanovic  Terry    Luiz   Cole

Modric  Essien

Anelka         Lampard     Malouda

Torres

That team is quality. According to rumors, you could possibly add Pastore or Neymar to it.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #13: Jun 18, 2011 07:18:49 pm
      Hmm interesting comments there by Luka.

I was chewing my nuts off when the Spurs signed him for 16m a few years ago and we were throwing half that money on mighty Dossena. Technically he is more superior then both Lampard and Essien and given that Fat Frank is getting on a bit Modric has an opportunity to establish himself as a key man for years to come.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 18, 2011 09:41:25 pm
      Doesn't matter what he says. He said this a few years ago, http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/chairmanspeaksout180708.html

And they sold them both so I really wouldn't believe what Levy says.

If Chelsea get Modric, I feel they'll be the team to beat.

Cech

Ivanovic  Terry    Luiz   Cole

Modric  Essien

Anelka         Lampard     Malouda

Torres

That team is quality. According to rumors, you could possibly add Pastore or Neymar to it.

Errr...i don't think modric is a holding midfielder and anyway that team doesn't scare me, just a bunch of old has bins
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #15: Jun 18, 2011 09:46:57 pm
      Errr...I don't think modric is a holding midfielder and anyway that team doesn't scare me, just a bunch of old has bins

I'd say that team is stronger then anything we can put out. Also Modric can play the deep laying playmaker role and I'm sure he is able to push forward and help the attack.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #16: Jun 18, 2011 09:59:38 pm
      I'm F***ing sick of them, starting to nearly dislike them as much as Utd

As much as we are rivals with United, we can respect the organization they have built through legitimate means. I can understand a player wanting to move there. But Chelsea? The rich Russian idiot has nothing but money to offer. He keeps losing solid managers year after year. Why would anyone want to move there, unless it is for money only? Even if they get another good manager in there this summer, chances are he will be fired by the gangster within two seasons.   
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #17: Jun 18, 2011 10:04:28 pm
      So he's moving to a big club. It sounds all too familiar.

FFS, the only f**king thing that's big at that club is Roman's cheque book.

This move is so wrong for him, but no worries, cause Torres'll tell him all about the Plastic club & fans.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #18: Jun 18, 2011 10:34:13 pm

Chelsea have increased their bid for Modric to Ā£25m after the midfielder indicated he wanted to move. (The Times)
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #19: Jun 18, 2011 11:23:57 pm

Chelsea could face point deduction over Modric storm

Published 23:06 18/06/11
      By Paul Smith

Chelsea face the threat of a points deduction ā€“ if found guilty of tapping up Luka Modric.

Furious Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is set to report the Blues to the Premier League. He warned Chelsea in writing not to pursue Modric and has now accused them of making public a bid for the player in order to unsettle him.

Chelsea have form for making illegal approaches. In 2005, they were fined Ā£300,000 and given a three-point suspended Ā­penalty by an independent Ā­Premier League commission over Ashley Coleā€™s Ā­recruitment from Arsenal.

They were also found guilty by FIFA of making an illegal approach for Gael Kakuta in 2009. Initially that sparked an international transfer ban which was eventually lifted.

Spurs will raise this with the Premier League. And any Ā­future tribunal is sure to take into consideration Chelseaā€™s previous history.

Modric went public at the weekend saying he wanted to leave for Chelsea, even though he still has five years left on his Ā£42,000 a-week contract.

Itā€™s believed that his terms at Chelsea could be in the Ā£150,000 a-week class.

However, Spurs chairman Levy said: ā€œI wish to make it absolutely clear, as I have said previously, that none of our key players will be sold this summer.

ā€œWe are building a team for the future to consistently play at the highest level and Ā­retaining quality players is crucial to that.

ā€œIn respect of Luka Modric, we are not prepared to sell, at any price, to Chelsea or any other club.

ā€œWe made our stance on this issue abundantly clear in Ā­writing to Chelsea. They chose to ignore it and subsequently made the offer public.

ā€œFor the avoidance of any doubt, let me reiterate that we shall not enter into any negotiations whatsoever, with any club, regarding Luka.ā€

Asked if Chelsea had made public a bid for Modric, a club spokesman said: ā€œNonsense.ā€

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp said: ā€œThe chairman has made a statement today. He canā€™t backtrack on that. He means that ā€“ I know he means that. Lukaā€™s not going.

ā€œDaniel and Joe Lewis own the club. Theyā€™re not selling Luka ā€“ end of story, as far as Iā€™m concerned. Itā€™s not easy to keep a player whoā€™s not happy, but the chairman has said we are not going to sell him, so we have got to stand by that now.

ā€œIf we sell Luka where are we going as a Ā­football club?

ā€œWeā€™ll have to accept then that weā€™re a middle-of-the-Ā­table team that will finish in the top half next season and really thatā€™s not what the chairman wants, itā€™s not what I want.

ā€œItā€™s not, most importantly, what the fans want.ā€

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/News-Chelsea-could-face-points-deduction-over-Luka-Modric-transfer-article749181.html
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Jun 19, 2011 02:36:10 am
      Luka could play on the left, too. Don't see Malouda carrying on as first choice for another season and Zhirkov should be leaving so that is somewhere else for him.

I'd have him ahead of Lampard but then again, that's footballing suicide for a new manager.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #21: Jun 19, 2011 12:54:58 pm

Michael Essien 'to be offered to Spurs' in latest Chelsea bid for Luka Modric

Chelsea are set to come back with an improved transfer offer for Luka Modric, which will include Michael Essien in part-exchange, despite Spurs chairman Daniel Levy saying the wantaway midfielder is 'not for sale at any price'.

Modric has shocked Spurs by saying he wants to leave White Hart Lane for a 'bigger club' - and even singled out the Blues as his preferred destination this summer.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has already scoffed at Chelsea's opening bid of Ā£22million for Modric, saying other players who have been sold for similar amounts this summer 'aren't fit to lace his boots'.

But Blues chiefs are determined to get their man, and the latest reports from Stamford Bridge suggest Essien, who has failed to recapture the blistering form that made him such a fans' favourite in his early days, will be used as a makeweight in the deal - along with an eight-figure cash sum.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/866740-michael-essien-to-be-offered-to-spurs-in-latest-chelsea-bid-for-luka-modric#ixzz1PdvKiJth
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: Jun 19, 2011 01:00:52 pm
      We should have a pop at Essien, him and Lucas rotating as Defensive midfielders wouldn't be too bad all.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #23: Jun 19, 2011 02:23:43 pm
      We should have a pop at Essien, him and Lucas rotating as Defensive midfielders wouldn't be too bad all.

Spot on RedLFCBlood, I think Essien would be a great signing..... maybe swap Aquilani for him ?

Only joking mate, I think Essien would be an incredible signing for us. Beast of a player. I would certainly prefer him to Joey "best midfielder in england" Barton anyway.
      « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2011 02:32:50 pm by s@int »
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #24: Jun 19, 2011 02:32:06 pm
      Doubt they'd let him go unless they'd secured a replacement
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Jun 19, 2011 02:46:48 pm
      Doubt they'd let him go unless they'd secured a replacement

We could always offer Poulsen.  :f_doh:  :f_tongueincheek:
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #26: Jun 19, 2011 03:09:18 pm
      Just dont see how the lad can stay at spuds after coming out and saying he  wants to  leave for the chavs.........just screw the fuckers for what you can like we did with cuntface.
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #27: Jun 19, 2011 05:35:08 pm
      hope they get point's deduction would love it 3rd time they have done thisnow  and i reckon they did this with torres aswell
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Reply #28: Jun 19, 2011 05:55:12 pm
      Why's this in the summer transfer board if it hasn't got anything to do with us?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Luka Modric (Tottenham)
      Reply #29: Jun 19, 2011 05:56:00 pm
      Moved this to the Summer Transfer Board as you can see.

Seems to be more of a Transfer Thread, so here we are.

And Title tweaked accordingly.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Jun 19, 2011 05:58:16 pm
      Are we in for him? I can't find note of it anywhere; any source?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #31: Jun 19, 2011 06:01:14 pm
      Moved this to the Summer Transfer Board as you can see.

Seems to be more of a Transfer Thread, so here we are.

And Title tweaked accordingly.

It is transfer discussion but we haven't been linked to Modric in the media. Thought transfer talk was about players who have been linked to Liverpool via the media.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #32: Jun 19, 2011 06:02:44 pm
       Very disappointing. Once I saw it was on our boards, I was hoping to see a "Kenny in late swoop for Modtric" expose. Not to be though so it seems  :'(
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #33: Jun 19, 2011 06:06:40 pm
      My understanding was this board is purely for Liverpool targets, verified by some sort of source?

Not wanting to step on mods toes by any means, just confused.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34: Jun 19, 2011 06:09:01 pm
      Ach who gives a F**k, its got absolutely got F**k all to do with our club and therefore this thread, i dont give a shiney sh*te where Modric plays next season, it's clear enough tho he wants away from Spuds and like that Spanish bloke(forgot his name) thinks he's going to a better club, if Hairy kneecap had any sort of respect for Spuds fans he would fast track the kunt out, because if he dont want to play then whats the point in trying to keep him, F**k him off and get the max amount he can get for him, the gangsta will pay top dollar without having to weild his hammer and sickle.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Address
      Reply #35: Jun 19, 2011 06:10:23 pm
      RedPuppy knows something we don't. ;)
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #36: Jun 19, 2011 06:17:08 pm

Well, since we are not linked with Modric, this thread should be shot to death, hanged and burnt at the stake ... Then, all the wannabe mods, dressed in robes and conical hats, can dance around the fire and piss on it ...
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Address
      Reply #37: Jun 19, 2011 06:21:34 pm
      lmao

If I could + you from my phone mac I would.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #38: Jun 19, 2011 06:24:57 pm
      All hail the mighty modric thread
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #39: Jun 19, 2011 06:36:58 pm
      RedPuppy knows something we don't. ;)

Thanks, but I know bugger all.

My understanding was this board is purely for Liverpool targets, verified by some sort of source?

Not wanting to step on mods toes by any means, just confused.

I may be wrong but I this the transfer Board, and I think it is non-specific to clubs, but I may be wrong.

A Quick Reminder about the Transfer Speculation board

This board should contain threads titled with either:

a) a players name and the club they are at

or

b) players possibly leaving Anfield.

This forum is specifically for the latest transfer articles in the media and your thoughts on that players's potential transfer.  When a player has completed their move or gone somewhere else the thread will be locked. 

General discussion on a Liverpool player linked with a move, such as his performance, attitude etc should be in the relevant player thread in the Kop board.
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=2815.0

Nice to see people so concerned that something may be in the wrong board/thread, or is off topic.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #40: Jun 19, 2011 06:46:30 pm
      Fair do's then.

I'm guessing most folk were just going on the header on the top of the "Summer Transfer Board" page, just under member's names, which reads: "Summer Transfer Board: Discussions about transfer targets and possible exits in the Summer 2011 transfer window."  

Anyway back on topic  :f_doh: (I think) For what it's worth: I couldn't give a F**k that Modric wants to leave Spurs if we are not going to sign him.  >:D
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #41: Jun 19, 2011 06:57:47 pm
      Before its locked thoul i would add my 2 cents...

Tottenham should get shot. They are more concerned with the image of being a selling club than anything else - I would take the chavs to the cleaners, get the money and buy players that want to be there.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #42: Jun 19, 2011 07:44:13 pm
      Booo thought we were in for him then.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #43: Jun 20, 2011 12:04:33 am
      Perhaps if we did show some interest it would push the price up for the Chavs. Ha, Ha.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #44: Jun 20, 2011 09:08:50 am
      His end product is not worth Ā£22m nevermind Ā£30m.

Modric scored 3 goals last year and got 3 assists (32 PL games)

Downing scored 7 and got 9 assists (38 PL games).
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #45: Jun 20, 2011 09:14:51 am

Think I read somewhere that Aquilani has more assists in the Premier League, over the last two seasons, than Modric.  Though that just goes to show that stats out of context are as useless as just watching a player.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #46: Jun 20, 2011 09:16:39 am
      Comparing apples and oranges though.

Compare him to Lucas.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #47: Jun 20, 2011 09:18:54 am
      Think I read somewhere that Aquilani has more assists in the Premier League, over the last two seasons, than Modric.  Though that just goes to show that stats out of context are as useless as just watching a player.

Not really, stats show you the end product, not just fancy skills that look really impressive but don't add up to much. I'd rather someone who is effective than flashy.

If anyone watched Spurs a lot last year wants to tell me that he was responsible for many more of their goals than the stats suggest, for an amazing penultimate pass or something, then fine, but the figures being bandied about (Ā£35m!?) are silly.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #48: Jun 20, 2011 09:19:58 am
      Comparing apples and oranges though.

Compare him to Lucas.

Still apples and oranges, Lucas plays in a holding, defensive midfielder role, Modric is attacking.

Comparing him to Meireles is apples/apples (which is pretty unfair on our player, considering it was his first season and half was played under Roy)... but here goes... Raul scored 5 goals, 7 assists in 33 games (many of which he did not even finish) - a much better return from the Portugese than the Croat.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #49: Jun 20, 2011 09:29:55 am
      Not really, stats show you the end product, not just fancy skills that look really impressive but don't add up to much. I'd rather someone who is effective than flashy.

If anyone watched Spurs a lot last year wants to tell me that he was responsible for many more of their goals than the stats suggest, for an amazing penultimate pass or something, then fine, but the figures being bandied about (Ā£35m!?) are silly.

That's a touch naive, some of Spur's good play was down to Modric's movement last season.  Attacking moves where he didn't touch the ball a lot, but created space for others and panicked defenders.  No real stats for that, but then off the ball work seems to be ignored for the greater part.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #50: Jun 20, 2011 09:41:01 am

I agree that he's not worth 22M

However, what are Lucas' stats from last season? He may have something very similar to that, but he was voted our player of the season. I also recall many spurs fans calling him their player of the season and saying he was far better than Bale all season (which I agree with as there were about 50 players who had a better season than Bale).

But I still agree that he's not worth 22 million, and the way that Redknapp is 'ridiculing' that bid sums him and spurs up. They always believe that their players are worth alot more than what they are. And after having played 1 season in the champions league (and being embarrassed by Real) they all of a sudden think they're one of the big 4. They'll drop back down to 7th or 8th this season.

I think everyone seems to be jumping on the Modric bandwagon lately the same way they did with Bale earlier this season.
      I hope he signs for Chelsea because I don't think he'll fit in with their team. Lampard had an off season last year, but he's still a great attacking midfielder. No way would I choose Modric over him.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #51: Jun 20, 2011 10:37:14 am
      I'm still amazed that he ended up playing for Spuds in the first place, can't believe none of the big guns thought he was worth a shot.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #52: Jun 20, 2011 10:43:00 am
      It could be like Alonso's situation regarding no. of assists, because I don't think Xabi's number was that high but if you did an assist to the assist count then it would have been higher.

I've always thought Modric is a good player but I don't think his value is more than Ā£22m, but everyone is overpriced nowadays.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #53: Jun 20, 2011 11:17:29 am
      It could be like Alonso's situation regarding no. of assists, because I don't think Xabi's number was that high but if you did an assist to the assist count then it would have been higher.

I've always thought Modric is a good player but I don't think his value is more than Ā£22m, but everyone is overpriced nowadays.

It wasn't always that high, though he did play a fair few key passes.  If memory serves, for example, Lucas got more assists than Alonso in his first Premier League season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #54: Jun 20, 2011 11:26:01 am
      The way I look at Alonso is simple in terms of assists, how often did he play the key pass for the assist maker, that was what Alonso was good at, picking out some one in space in a key position, which is a lot like Modric.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #55: Jun 20, 2011 11:33:42 am
      Good player but like most Tottenham players I think he's casually over hyped.. Cast your mind back a few months when monkey boy Bale was deemed one of the worlds best players.. hahaha. After 1 decent season and a couple cracking champs league games.. ? These ex player pundits always create these premature statements and before you know it everybody start talking the same sh*te....

Scott Parker...Good season.. Did stand out as the head honcho but again, his performance over the season changed from being a "good one" to a very patriotic world class one.. These dumb talk sh*te pundits talk about him like he's now Iniesta... Boolox 
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #56: Jun 20, 2011 12:00:19 pm
      Modric's always been pure quality and just because Spurs did get overhyped this year, doesn't mean he isn't a supremely gifted footballer.

This is the problem with stats... How does posting this single stat allow you to judge the whole player? Watch Modric for more than a highlights package and it's clear he's quality and worth more than 20m in todays market. He's not old either at 25, plenty more years at the top.
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #57: Jun 20, 2011 12:25:21 pm
      Modric's always been pure quality and just because Spurs did get overhyped this year, doesn't mean he isn't a supremely gifted footballer.

This is the problem with stats... How does posting this single stat allow you to judge the whole player? Watch Modric for more than a highlights package and it's clear he's quality and worth more than 20m in todays market. He's not old either at 25, plenty more years at the top.

For me it's simple. Would Modric get in Barca's squad? Yes. Would Downing? No.

Problem solved.

Modric does need to work on his goal scoring but certainly not his assists, every move Spurs score from seems to start with him regardless of whether it counts for a direct assist. He's the classiest player in the prem for my money along with our very own Luis Suarez.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #58: Jun 20, 2011 12:34:11 pm
      Still apples and oranges, Lucas plays in a holding, defensive midfielder role, Modric is attacking.

Comparing him to Meireles is apples/apples (which is pretty unfair on our player, considering it was his first season and half was played under Roy)... but here goes... Raul scored 5 goals, 7 assists in 33 games (many of which he did not even finish) - a much better return from the Portugese than the Croat.
      Right, so Meireles is better than Alonso was for us too then, since he only made 3 goals and 4 assists in his last season for us. Because that's the role Modric has for them, he's the playmaker. Not to mention that Meireles has regularly played on the wing for us.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: Jun 20, 2011 05:25:51 pm
      I think Modric is a superb player but he is quite overrated sometimes as well. I see him much more of a great supporting act than the star of the show. Would never swap Essien for him (like it's been rumoured Chelsea could do).
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,271 posts | 283 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #60: Aug 13, 2011 01:41:23 pm

Merson said hes in top 5 players in world football hahaha
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #61: Aug 13, 2011 01:48:40 pm
      :lmao:
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #62: Aug 13, 2011 01:49:51 pm

I don't agree with what Merson has said but he's very close to the top 5 players in the world IMHO. He's as good as Xabi Alonso in what he does, he runs the game - and he can do that as well and as consistent as Alonso does.

One of the very best playmakers in the world, quality player. My favourite player in the league who doesn't play for Liverpool, just a pleasure to watch him perform.

I still don't see him moving to Chelsea, I think Spurs will keep him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Reply #63: Aug 13, 2011 01:50:55 pm

Haha, he's so overrated.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #64: Aug 13, 2011 02:28:35 pm
      He's definitely overrated but still a very good player.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #65: Aug 13, 2011 02:36:28 pm
      He has been over-hyped since he came on the scene in Euro 2008, he is a slick little player and can get a good tempo of passing going but top 5? Please if your consider that you need to have good number to help back that up which he doesn't have
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #66: Aug 13, 2011 08:21:21 pm
      Ye he cuts the mustard for me.

1. Messi
      2. Ronaldo
      3. Xavi
      4. Sneider
      5. Modric
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #67: Aug 14, 2011 01:30:45 am
      A good player, but definitely overrated in my books.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #68: Aug 14, 2011 01:34:16 am
      Didn't he sign a 45k a week 6 year contract, last year.  I do think he is talent, but hey he needs a new agent for sure.  Top 5 players in the world is funnier that those that think Harry is going to win the world cup.
      AlfarinIcebreaker
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #69: Aug 14, 2011 11:39:14 am
      Fantastic player. I'd have him in our team any day of the week. He just has it all, he is a complete midfielder who can run, defend and make the team tick. Like a more mobile version of Xabi Alonso. He doesn't have passing range or his vision, but he is really good player.

Quick Reply