Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Watching games with other clubs’ fans

Read 1995 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Watching games with other clubs’ fans
      Jun 20, 2011 06:07:59 pm
      Has anyone else ever done that? (can't remember/find if there's a similar thread already)

I once watched the first 15 minutes of a Rio de Janeiro State final between Flamengo (my team) and Botafogo with the Botafogo fans at the Maracanã. I went to the game with 4 friends who happened to be all Botafogo fans, and even though I protested (I asked them to sit in the neutral area), they wanted to go to their team’s area. I wasn’t wearing a Flamengo shirt cause I knew it could happen, so I was ok until the game began. But after a slow start to the game, in which I didn’t mind  being quiet (no singing, obviously), Flamengo almost scored a goal just in front of where we were. I remember jumping and saying something like “f**k, that was close!”. There were quite a few faces looking suspiciously at me after that, so I decided I’d better leave it there and watch the rest of the game alone in the Flamengo area. We were in the down seats at the stadium, and it’s quite easy to move places there, so I had no problem in doing so. Flamengo went on to win that game on penalties (after a 2-2 draw), and I’m glad I left the Botafogo area cause there’s no way I wouldn’t have celebrated there!

Once I travelled to Paraná to watch Flamengo play Atlético Paranaense, but the tickets for the away fans sold out too fast (Flamengo has the biggest fan base in the country, so away tickets are always in big demand every time we play away). I did the only thing I could then, bought a regular ticket and watched the game in the middle of the Atlético fans. Fla played really badly this game (lost 1-0), hardly attacked them, so it wasn’t so difficult to hide the fact I was a Flamengo fan. But people around me noticed it. I was in a more quiet sector of the stadium, with families and kids, no hardcore supporters, so even though I heard some offensive stuff said towards me ;D, I was alright during the entire game. The most embarrassing moment was when their fans were doing a mosaic in which I refused to take part at first, but two big guys behind me told me quite convincingly to do so.

I also watched a Corinthians match against Internacional (for ‘football tourism’ purposes only) near the Corinthians hardcore fans, it was funny even though I didn’t know any of their songs, I just pretended to be one of them. Corinthians lost (1-0), Nilmar scored Internacional’s goal which was possibly the best I’ve ever seen in a football stadium. I was laughing inside to be honest, don’t really like Corinthians.

I’m going to Paraná again next weekend, not to watch Flamengo but to visit a few friends. I love football and try to watch football games wherever I go. One of my friends is a die hard Atletico supporter, so I’m going to see them play again, against Bahia. Gonna be fun this time, since I won’t be ‘the enemy’, so I could even pretend to be a local. (That’s only possible because Atletico Paranaense are a much smaller club than Flamengo, so I have no bad feelings about them, no reason to hate them at all).

What are your experiences?
      « Last Edit: Jun 20, 2011 09:00:26 pm by Diego LFC, Reason: spelling »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Watching games with other clubs’ fans
      Reply #1: Jun 20, 2011 06:31:09 pm
      I haven't but My Dad and his Brother (my Uncle) watched the Manchester derby in the Stretford End. They are both City fans, but my Dads old boss is a Scum season ticket holder (from Yorkshire) and as usual couldn't get to the game, and had no client to butter up that weekend, so he offered it to my Dad.

I think City equalised in the last minute to make it 2-2 and my Uncle stood up and shouted "Get in!!!". They then somehow managed to escape unharmed, but not without being abused.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #2: Jun 20, 2011 07:03:09 pm
      Probably one of my first big games, Ajax-AC Milan(2-0), in the group stage of the Champions League in 1994, which Ajax ended up winning in the final against again AC Milan. My aunt had free tickets. I didn't really care who would win, I just wanted to see an epic game. And no denying that seeing players like Baresi, Maldini, Donadoni, Gullit, Rijkaard, Litmanen, Davids, Kluivert, Overmars and Seedorf all on one pitch was pretty epic. I was sitting with the Ajax supporters, but was much more impressed with the Milan supporters and their songs especially.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #3: Jun 20, 2011 08:35:44 pm
      Yup i went to the city v liverpool game in 1996 at maine road when city got relegated from the premiership.

I was sat with the city fans in the kippax stand in a game which was very memorable for all the wrong reasons for city fans,there manager,alan ball, thought that the game standing at 2-2 was enough for them to stay up , he was wrong, and i remember the bizzare sight of niall quin running onto the pitch trying to get this vital piece of information over to the players........typical F***ing city ,comical:).

At the final whistle there was a very weird silence which seemed to last ages before the travelling liverpool fans broke into" going down gowing down going down"which needless to say didnt go down to well with the city fans which i was sat amongst,and who knew i was a scouser because when rush equalised i couldnt help myself and shouted along the lines of "get in "rather loudly.

Give city fans there due they didnt stove my head in,probably because they were to stunned about what farcical goings on they had to endure .

I slipped out with my mate ,who was a city fan,and jumped on a bus back to picadilly,all the way back to the train station hundreds of utd fans were out on the street celebrating citys relegation,and the city fans were out battering the utd fans ,ive honestley never seen scenes like it in my life.

All in all a very weird and surreal day.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #4: Jun 20, 2011 08:48:47 pm
      I was in the Newcaslte end when we played them in December. I hid my identity well at the beginning by singing that hate song towards Mike Ashley, but as soon as the game started I was fu**ed. Forgot where I was and was shouting abuse about the Newcy players and decisions they got. Got loads of dodgy looks but no physical abuse so it was all good apart from the result. Was still a scary experience though.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Jun 20, 2011 10:05:38 pm
      Not in football, but I have been to a couple Dodgers baseball games as a Padres fan. It wasn't pretty. But it's even WORSE when you're a Padres fan at Padres v. Dodgers in San Diego. Dodgers fans based in San Diego feel like they have something to prove. Always fights. Hate it.

I saw a couple people get stabbed at a Chargers v. Raiders American football game. Needless to say I never went again :D
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #6: Jun 23, 2011 08:50:36 pm
      Also watched Leeds v liverpool at elland road with a mate who had a spare season ticket going,was a bit nervous about this one tbh but it turned into a right laugh with the scouscersdoing the emmerdale theme and the leeds mob firing back with the brooky tune ,think leeds won 2-0.

But all in all a top day out in leeds.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Jun 23, 2011 09:25:15 pm
      Going to Curitiba tonight... the game Atletico Paranense x Bahia is on Saturday... should be fun
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #8: Jun 23, 2011 10:23:47 pm
      Have watched Liverpool beat United in the Stretford End when we beat them-Ronnie Whelan own goal match. Immense. Such bile and hatred flowing.

Was with the Forest fans on the last day we were champions of England in 1991 as Arsenal won the league. A defeat and an unpleasant experience.

Was at the Baseball ground when we equalled the record for unbeaten start to the season in 1988. 0-0 but enjoyed it.

So it depends on the result!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9: Jun 23, 2011 10:34:11 pm
      If I get to see away games, it's usually in the home end.  My best experiences were at Swindon Town & Portsmouth, Birmingham & Leeds were by far the worst experiences I've had.  In one of my old locals though, Liverpool - Man United games were always livened up one of the Man U fans being the spit of Jerzy Dudek.  Ribbing & banter were relentless.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 06, 2011 07:21:53 pm
      I watched the youth cup final vs United in 2009 I think it was?

I was sitting next to our fans but in the united section and when we scored I was there celebrating with all the Liverpool fans shouting random things. Needless to say I was verbally abused for the remainder of my stay in that shithole
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Jul 07, 2011 09:40:59 am
       In days of old when it was pay at the gate with real money and not tickets there was no segregation between home and away supporters.I also recall the days when Liverpool and Everton supporters would go to opposing grounds when their own team was playing away.I got a ticket for a cup tie once at Goodison  and i think it was a 5th round tie against Everton,the ticket had been bought for me by my Auntie so I was delighted to get it.When I got in the ground I seemed to be surrounded by Evertonians(hardly another RED scarf to be seen in that area).to make matters worse Alan Ball scored and we lost 1-0
      Ingo
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Brazilian by birth, Scouser by choice :)
      Reply #12: Jul 12, 2011 09:54:28 am
      Hahaha, well, last time Diego came to my city (a month ago), we all wanted to see a footy match. Thing is, I support Coritiba FC, while Pedro, our other Red friend supports Atlético Paranaense, and these two teams hate each other. :D

Since Atlético was the one playing at home in that weekend, I was forced to go see the match with them, in the Atlético stands, against Bahia. In the first minutes of the match, Bahia almost scored and I jumped with my hands in my head :D About 3 or 4 people looked at me with a very suspicious face. :D After that, I just forced myself to keep quiet for the rest of the game.

Bahia ended winning 2x0, putting Atlético even further on the relegation zone, so it's all good. ;D

Quick Reply